As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

feebsicle's art/music/animation

• DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the song!

Like, a lot.

It's a very solid and professional looking reel, have you ever done anything outside of the Syfy channel?

DeeLock on
  • feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I love the song!

Like, a lot.

It's a very solid and professional looking reel, have you ever done anything outside of the Syfy channel?

Oh thank you!
    Yes, I've done a few things that have been on Hallmark, and some other channels I don't really know about... one was on ABC, and there are a couple films I worked on (one recent one called Tucker and Dale vs Evil).

feebsicle on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The song was a good choice. At least in my opinion. It doesn't take away from the reel, nor add to it. It was better than what I usually get when I see demo reels: angst rock, hip hop rock, classical score.

I've seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil. It's not the best flick in the world, but the SFX and animation were top notch.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    The animation is fantastic, man. the bunny frog is great. I don't really have much else to say, other than I kinda want your job :P

Iruka on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hello feebsicle

I like your art

Tam on
    edited March 2010
    2868 - haven't seen T&DvsE yet, I've heard a lot of good things but it doesn't look like the type of movie I would like either :P I only did a small bit of vfx, just the bees chasing that one guy. It was a pretty fun scene to work on though :) Glad you liked the fx!

Iruka - thanks a bunch duder!
    edit: just looked at your DA page and I am blown away!! awesome!

Tam - hello! i like your art also.

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    Not trying to spam all over your thread, but the bee scene was the hands down funniest scene in the movie.

@Tam: Fact, when I have writer's block I come to the AC and stare at your avatar. For Hours.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh my goodness this thread. This whole thread. Lady you are a genius, and I love you.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2010
    Oh my goodness this thread. This whole thread. Lady you are a genius, and I love you.

I barely know you, hobo jesus!
    but thank you. thank you a lot.

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    I found this old sketch I did about 5 or 6 years ago.

cnfAs.jpg

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    Watching the reel again, I don't feel the music is appropriate. I think you should use something darker, simpler, and more exciting/tense- given the subject matter.

edit: neat sketch

Tam on
    edited March 2010
    So awhile back I made some dolls for Christmas presents for some friends and family members.
    They were Scott Radke inspired, and I use one in my sig so I thought I'd share them :)

Here's a crow:

o18ec.jpg

The head and hands were made of paper clay (very light-weight and air dry), painted with acrylic and guache. I made the body with black fabric, stuffed it, and sewed feathers onto it.

ici8F.jpg

A Bear:

OF6uu.jpg

Since these were my first dolls ever made, I'm afraid I lacked the talent to sew an entire bear from scratch. So I just bought a used teddy bear, washed it, and ripped its face off. I also cut open its chest, sewed a heart inside and put that cute zipper in.

gl63B.jpg

The Wizard:

ClWsZ.jpg

This one was the most detailed, but unfortunately it also looks the roughest. I think I rushed this one. I also had to make its clothes and I'm just really bad at sewing. Anyhow, the little book is actually leather-bound, and packed full of magic spells, occult images and witchcraft I found on the internet. His cape and hat were actually navy blue, not black.

nrnyx.jpg

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    I wish I was your friend.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like that first one a lot, sorta reminds me of howls crazy ass face crow form in howls moving castle but yknow less sexy. gurl you crazy

Kochikens on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want those things.

I need those things.

Give me those things.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Thanks guys!! I am planning on making more!
    When they're done, I'll sell them in my etsy shop.
    2868 wrote: »
    I wish I was your friend.

I can make this happen. I am a wizard, you know.

feebsicle on
  • JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They scare me D:.

Jimpy on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They scare me a little too, especially the bird thing.

Mustang on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the bird thing scares the crap out of me
    dont you dare bring that on our road trip

mully on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would love and cuddle the crow for the rest of my life.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    mully wrote: »
    the bird thing scares the crap out of me
    dont you dare bring that on our road trip

I said I gave it away! Sheeesh!!

PierceNeck wrote: »
    I would love and cuddle the crow for the rest of my life.

hehe!

By the way, I made 5 more heads tonight. I'll post my progress as it goes :) But first they need to dry before I handle them again.

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    I want all of those

give them to me

Tam on
    edited March 2010
    I call the first bull doll you make.

2868 on

buy warhams
    edited March 2010
    hey good idea!
    I could make a guy with horns. he'd sorta be a bull.

feebsicle on
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey just watched the video in first post, sorry if ive missed an updated version.

Im in a slightly different line of work to you, I'm an animator at lionhead, and just do character animation, no visual effects etc.

What I would say is, if you want to improve the reel for jobs that are heavily weighted toward the animation side? In all honesty I dont think there are any pieces in there currently that show off animation.

If you are interested in animation jobs, I would highlight that by making something new or taking out a tonne of the effects and camera for a piece or two to really show the animation. All the pieces you have right now are either too wrapped up in other stuff (camera movement, real life actors, lighting obscuring the animation etc). I would also say that b/c you were working within those limits, I would imagine the animation suffered a lot from those constraints.

It's definately cool that you can show some recognisible stuff, but I would prioritise what actually looks good before jamming in everything that you think people might recognise.

Btw, if you are really more into compositing and effects and stuff, I guess I'm not the guy to be giving out advice.

Also I would make it shorter, a lot lot shorter. almost 3 minutes is way too long in my opinion and you have to remember you reel is only as good as the worst animation in it.

There was definately a varying level of quality in the work and I honestly think you would get more traction if you had a 60 second long reel with your 3 or 4 best best best pieces.

Oh, and if you are applying to both pure animation jobs and also effects jobs? I would really think hard about making 2 seperate reels. If you are only applying for jobs that are animation AND effects, then ignore that.

Is there any chance I could see some more clear animation shots, maybe you have breakdowns from those scenes that are just the animation?

EDIT: I just read the first post so some of this may be addressed and sorry for being lazy but I'm just skimming over lunch at work and don't have a load of time

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    update: as of last monday, I am no longer unemployed :D Yay!!

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    feebsicle wrote: »
    update: as of last monday, I am no longer unemployed :D Yay!!

Good news. Now conjure yourself a celebration.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gratz :) If you ever want to post pure animation work I'll keep this thread bookmarked and make sure to crit you.

Hope your new job is fun!

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    I just did some covers, would like to share

All is Full of Love by Bjork

Idioteque by Radiohead

:)

feebsicle on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I just watched your demo reel, and the episode of Masters of SciFi you worked on looks like Heinlein's "Jerry was a Man" adaptation, do you remember if it was or not?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited August 2010
    Yes, it was that one!

feebsicle on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Ha! That's fantastic. Not one of Heinlein's strongest stories, but still enjoyable, I remember being kind of excited when that show first aired to see how it was adapted.

The little elephant was great, but the real props go to whoever had the task of making Anne Heche look lucid.

edited August 2010
    haha

what's your favourite Heinlein story? I am just finishing up Stranger From a Strange Land. I don't think I've ever read a book that made me feel so internally conflicted about my own opinions before reading this.

feebsicle on
    edited August 2010
    My favorite would have to be Time Enough For Love, which is both my favorite of his and of all else. Stranger is also a shortlist favorite of mine, and I think the third or fourth book of his I read (way back in high school). It's one I haven't returned to in a while, but I certainly agree with your assessment of it.

I could go on at great lengths about his various stories I've enjoyed, but I will say, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is memorable to me for eliciting such an emotional response over such an unexpected character.

edited September 2010
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Love your vocals on "only you"

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    Watching the reel again, I don't feel the music is appropriate. I think you should use something darker, simpler, and more exciting/tense- given the subject matter.

it's the pacing mos def.

lose it asap.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited September 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »

it's the pacing mos def.

lose it asap.

I have a new reel with different music:

http://vimeo.com/14951561

feebsicle on
    edited September 2010
    Love your vocals on "only you"

oh thank you! :D

feebsicle on
    edited September 2010
    kimsmarkin wrote: »
    No, but seriously, although I had no idea who you were, I always say what they all say..Make an animation of a tree stand? I know nothing about animation.

I see what you mean, but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

feebsicle on