As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weak Wireless Signal Upstairs

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Weak Wireless Signal

My GF's has a wireless set up in her home. The router is on the first floor, the second floor gets a signal, but its weak.

How can we get a better signal upstairs?

Thanks guys!

MagicToaster on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get a repeater..?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How is the antenna positioned?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Get a repeater..?

And this is?

Evander, the antena just sticks out the back of the router, pointing upwards... it's really small.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, any other APs/Routers in the area? Try switching the channel that the router broadcasts on.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get a repeater..?

And this is?

Evander, the antena just sticks out the back of the router.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wireless+repeater

;)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get a repeater..?

And this is?

Evander, the antena just sticks out the back of the router, pointing upwards... it's really small.

you could get a larger antenna, maybe

or try playing with it's position, seeing if you get a better signal by tilting it slightly

Evander on
  • Options
    Caelum MilitisCaelum Militis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wireless signals from most home AP's are basically donut shaped. So imagine a very large donut radiating from the antenna that's sticking out the back of your AP. If the antenna is pointed up, that means the donut is radiating out parallel to the ground, covering your bottom floor. It does extend up and down some, as it's not perfectly flat, hence why you get some signal upstairs.

Depending on where your AP is in relation to where in your house you need signal, and how much and what type of material is between the AP and where you want signal, there's a couple options that may help.

1. Tilt the antenna. Just keep visualizing that donut around the antenna as you move it, you don't want to move the signal out of your 1st floor areas that you want signal.

2. Raise your AP as high as possible, and leave the antenna how it is. On top of a tall (wooden) bookcase is great. Keep the AP away from large metal objects.

3. Different type of antenna. Different types radiate signal differently, and to larger areas. Most AP's allow the antenna to be replaced.

4. Get a second antenna. Some AP's come with two antenna, some come with one antenna and the option to plug in a second. Having a second antenna that points parallel to the floor (thereby radiating signal up) in addition to the antenna pointing up can increase coverage. This is entirely dependent on the model of your AP.

Option 1 and 2 are usually far easier.

Caelum Militis on
    ~Unyielding resolve has no conquerer~
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cool, Ill give these a shot and let you know what works!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    You can also try making one of these to focus the signal: http://binarywolf.com/249/diy-parabolic-reflector.htm

bombardier on