As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DRAGON AGE: KUSU GETS LAID

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    seriously though worst tank ever? allister

motherfucker will NOT stay alive

a healer might solve all my problems but i'm still having some trouble with the tactics setting up

Raneados on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Arcane Warriors are my favorite kind of tank.

Nerdgasmic on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'll learn it all sooner or later

my current fighting strategy

ALLISTER GET IN THERE
    Allister gets raped by 10 dudes while sten, myself, and morrigan explode the backs of peoples' heads

allister dies

everyone laughs

Raneados on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you fighting mostly in real-time, or do you often pause and give orders?

You should probably get Allister that shield skill that makes him immune to knockdown attacks, and be sure to heal him when he's taking a beating - better at 50% health than at 25%, because then he might get killed before he completes the healing.

Ivar on
    edited March 2010
    Which class are you playing?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2010
    i'm playing a rogue

still real low level, like 7 or 8 for all the guys

edit and I'm fighting mooossstly in real time, i'm starting to switch it up because it got harder

Raneados on
    edited March 2010
    Are you using the stuns and other control abilities the Rogue may have?

Nerdgasmic on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also about Alistair: Don't stack CON. It's pretty terrible, DEX is a much better option.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited March 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Also about Alistair: Don't stack CON. It's pretty terrible, DEX is a much better option.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

also yeah this is my first playthrough so i don't know how to plan ahead really well, I'm just like "oh that sounds good - click"

i have a few stuns but nothing spectacular

Raneados on
    edited March 2010
    What console do you have this on? You should get the respec mod.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    man i have a hard time keeping my babies alive

can't make enough potions, just got to (redcliffe)
    where that kid is possessed, guess i'll go to the mages and find a healer and some Lyrium, don't want to sacrifice the mom OR the kid, :(

You get an excellent healer in the mage tower, if...
    ...you don't kill her or piss her off so she attacks you

Really, going to the mage tower should be first on anyone's list because of the healer and the major stat boosts.

I was thinking about this game the other day, what I liked, what I didn't.

I think I came to the conclusion that combat is both overly simplistic and too hard to control. Positioning, use of area effect abilities, varies stuns and heals are what wins the combat, but achieving them can be hard to do. This is a game that I feel would benefit from a hex grid in regards to combat. Combat is still okay though.

Story wise, they couldn't have picked a worse antagonist if they tried. A horde of nameless, brainless, spiky armoured brutes reappears and attacks a fantasy England that loves dogs. Fuck you, Bioware! FUCK YOU! Even the name, Darkspawn, reeks of generic textureless bad guy. And so they are.

There were good story elements. A few interesting setting choices. It was fun that the Elves were basically nature loving Jews. The dwarves where a good source of cynical humour. The Darkspawn procreation was inspired. Most of the games visual design was pretty boring. The Dead Caste of the dwarves stand out in my mind though. Those guys looked bad ass.

It has some of the best character interactions I have seen and they even delivered some of my favourite moments in the game. Shit, I was even touched at one point.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    What console do you have this on? You should get the respec mod.

haha mods

Raneados on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm playing a rogue with Alistair as my tank backed up by Morrigan and Wynne. It works okay, mainly because both Morrigan and Wynne have a healing spell and are set to heal anyone who goes below 50%. Alistair does die quite a lot but what do you expect when his sole purpose is to be attacked by EVERYONE because your other characters are too squishy. Luckily Wynne has a resurrection spell so Alistair dies and then comes back as zombie Alistair and then dies again etc, etc. It's quite funny when the other three are fine and he has like 5 injury icons next to his name. Just trying to get his strength up enough so he can wear the blood dragon armour at the moment.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited March 2010
    Rane, if Allistair doesn't work out, you should consider making one of your mages an Arcane Warrior. They are very tough.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2010
    sten's gonna be my go-to damage buddy

Raneados on
    edited March 2010
    Sten or the guy you recruit in Orzammar make decent tanks with their two-handed talents.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2010
    man... tanks need a shield

that's like dungeoneering 101

Raneados on
    edited March 2010
    No seriously, two-handing isn't too bad at all. That line provides a lot of stuns, perfect knockdown and stun resistance with the Indomitable sustained ability, and decent amounts of armor piercing which is a nice bonus.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Setting up those scripts was the best thing I could do on the 360 version.

Alistair
    Health <50% | Health Poultice

3 Ranged Party Members
    Alistair's Target | Auto Attack

If you don't set up scripts you'll end up in fights wondering why you're losing and then you look over at one character who was doing nothing the whole fight. It took till my third character for me to realise that fight after you rescue Anora is meant to beat you.

I decided that Arcane Warrior / Spirit Healer was really cheesy and so I'm making my mage a Shapeshifter, putting some decent constitution on her, she can be Alistair's back up tank on tough fights, or something. I feel like mages have enough abilities to spread out over 10 runs through the game before you can use them all, where-as Rogue's and Warriors share Archery & Dual Wielding with each other.

Delicious Steve on
    edited March 2010
    Does shapeshifter ever get useful? I haven't really tried it that much, only the spider form a little bit

Ivar on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i never used sten, he always died so quickly

shale morrigan zevran crew watup

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does shapeshifter ever get useful? I haven't really tried it that much, only the spider form a little bit

Not really, no.

Swarm-form is nice for dashing around town and shit, but it really isn't a very good specialization. I downloaded the quick-shift mod that took out the cast time for shapeshifting, but even then it still wasn't as useful as being mage-shaped.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zephyr wrote: »

I murdered Zevran cos I didn't realise he could be a team member. Fairly big on the oops factor.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i fucked him

after fucking morrigan

then fucked leliana
    then let her down easy by marrying anora and (presumably) fucking her

mass effect doesnt compare in the fucking factor

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shale is such a better tank than Alistair it's unreal.

captaink on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I never used Shale. Combat's too easy if I do.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Red ZoneRed Zone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why is this game so hard?

I had to put it on easy mode like a noob. I couldn't get past that first boss fight.

Red Zone on
    1vqtC.jpg
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought it was hard too, then i watched my fiance play and she totally kicks the game's ass

Now I just feel emasculated

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    smof wrote: »

I murdered Zevran cos I didn't realise he could be a team member. Fairly big on the oops factor.

Dude Zevran may as well have had "POSSIBLE PARTY MEMBER" tattooed on his forehead.

Tube on
  • Red ZoneRed Zone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How do you play this game then?!

I tried doing the pause way, but I just didnt know what to do. Some guy kept luring me into traps and shooting fireballs at me. And I couldnt sneak by without getting detected. And I apparently cant walk in shin deep water to attack from the side.

GYUH!

Red Zone on
    1vqtC.jpg
    edited March 2010

Dude Zevran may as well have had "POSSIBLE PARTY MEMBER" tattooed on his forehead.

All I saw was "Guy tried to murder you like pretty much everyone else in Ferelden. Kill him in his sleep like the cool person you are or wake him up and try diplomacy like a nancy?"

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Red Zone wrote: »
    How do you play this game then?!

I tried doing the pause way, but I just didnt know what to do. Some guy kept luring me into traps and shooting fireballs at me. And I couldnt sneak by without getting detected. And I apparently cant walk in shin deep water to attack from the side.

GYUH!

You need to recognize what you're fighting, and to also have the proper party makeup. Make sure that your tank dude is set up in his tactics to taunt and to pull enemies off guys that are getting hit. Have a mage set up to heal anyone that falls under 50%, and set up to put out buffs when it's convenient.

If you're fighting a magic dude, it's really useful to either have a mage that can caste glyph of neutralization, or a templar that can also shut them down.

Other than that, start pausing and giving orders to each character if it's still a little rough, and make sure to focus fire on guys to kill them really quickly.

Langly on
    edited March 2010
    Best combat tip:

Pause all the time and give every single member of your party specific orders to make sure you fight as effectively as possible. Change orders as soon as your people get hurt (heal) or you kill someone (new target) or someone is knocked down (lose the attention somehow)

Basically play it like a turn-based game, because that's what it is

Ivar on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Best combat tip:

Pause all the time and give every single member of your party specific orders to make sure you fight as effectively as possible. Change orders as soon as your people get hurt (heal) or you kill someone (new target) or someone is knocked down (lose the attention somehow)

Basically play it like a turn-based game, because that's what it is

I don't get how anyone could play effectively otherwise

[eidt] if you can't figure out the element of strategy inherent in like all rpgs you wasted $50

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I was in the Sloth Demon's fade dream again, for some reason this feels like the most tedious and drawn out part of the game, anyway I got up to the Desire Demon boss, and she did something to paralyze me, cast a few damaging spells, froze me, cast a few more damaging spells, PARALYZED ME AGAIN cast another damaging spell and then I died, didn't get off a single attack on her.

Thank god I'm constantly saving before fights.

Delicious Steve on
    edited March 2010
    My one combat tip is if there's a mage in the group you're fighting, kill it with fire as quickly as possible. Ignore the dudes smacking you on the head with axes and kill the goddamn mage.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My one combat tip is if there's a mage in the group you're fighting, kill it with mana clash as quickly as possible. Ignore the dudes smacking you on the head with axes and kill the goddamn mage.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mana clash mana clash

Failing that nuke them with a fire ball until you have time to run up and stab em

Seriously on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just ordered the expansion for $20.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256656

EA store has $20 off or $40 or more.

I made sure to get a physical copy, because EA only lets you download for 1 year on digital copies.

captaink on
    edited March 2010
    Is it like that on Steam too?

Ivar on