As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
ssfiv-box1.jpg

24e2x75.jpg

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

Super Street Fighter IV Changes!

Other Changes:
-Achievements!
-Focus attacks are faster.
-Ten brand new characters! Juri and Hakan are brand new, while Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Makoto, Dudley, Adon, DeeJay and T. Hawk all return for another round!
-Will cost $40 USD!
-Brand new opening and closing videos for each character.
-Bonus 11th costume for having a SFIV save.
-Each returning character has three costumes confirmed.
-A team battle mode has been added. Up to 8 players are put into a room and divided into teams based on points. It's possible to have a 7v1 in this set-up!
-An 8 player "Endless Battle" online mode has been added. Players not fighting can spectate and comment via voice chat. No points are won/loss in this mode.
-Replays can always be saved.
-Replay channels have been added to watch and discuss matches with others.
-A tournament mode will be added later as DLC. Will allow 8 players, voice chat, save replays (even one's that you didn't play in), and offer titles for the winners.
-Each character has two Ultra's now and are selected before a match begins.
-Roster unlocked from start. No unlocking required.
-All online modes will have blind select. The cursor sound has been removed as well.
-New intro song.
-Shipping April 28, 2010.

A Penny Arcade Fighting League?!
ChaosHat wrote: »
I figured I'd take this time to present my ideas for our Super Street Fighter league that I've had bouncing around in my head.

Players will be divided into small, round robin or swiss seeds depending on turnout. Then, the best eight players based on records from all seeds will be placed in single elimination bracketing for playoffs. Every player who advances to the playoffs gets one league point. Every subsequent match win after that earns the player two more league points, so point breakdowns would be 1 for top 8, 3 for top 4, 5 for second place and 7 for first place. I may or may not fiddle with the point structure still. Points will accumulate from week to week which will give us a league rank.

So, for example...say we have 25 players on a league night. Players will be divided into five seeds of five players, and will play each other player in their seed, for a total of four matches. At the end of the round robin period, the best player from each seed will advance to the playoffs, and three more players with the best record from all seeds will be chosen. Ties will be broken first using any head to head match info (if the players played against each other, the winner of that match will advance), then using match info, and then probably a coin toss (I don't really want to have to keep track of individual round wins). I could also see using league point totals to break ties. Then, by whatever means chosen, the eight players will play in single elimination playoffs for points.

Things I am still pondering:
  • Whether/how to give points to players in the round robin phase.
  • Playoff point distribution.
  • Day of the week to host these (early weekdays are probably best).
  • Double elimination playoffs?
  • Top 16 instead of 8?

So, if you have feedback or ideas, please, have at them.

Where to watch SF

So you're thinking about buying a fightstick...
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.
Links and Resources

Here are a few sites that can really help you get better at Street Fighter games.

Lots of regular SF4 content:
Character Stats/Frame Data
Each character is different in their moves, speed, and sizes but did you know that they also have different health, stun, dash, and jump values? The biggest difference between the characters is their health levels. The bigger, slower characters (Zangief, Rufus, etc) take more damage to KO while the smaller, faster characters (Chun Li, El Fuerte) take less damage to KO. The two powerful boss characters, Seth and Akuma, take a lot more damage than the rest of the cast due to their offensive abilities and options they have available to them. For a complete breakdown of the characters statistical differences, check out this link:

Shoryuken Wiki

Clicking on the links from each character will provide the immensely useful (or potentially boring) frame data for that character.

Online Play
Street Fighter IV has a few online modes that allow players from around the world to challenge each other in head to head battles. Here are some things you should know before jumping online:

-There are a multitude of skill levels for players online. You will run into new players and guys who have been playing Street Fighter for twenty years. Online is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
-You can play either Ranked Matches, Player Matches, or enter Championship Mode.
-Ranked matches have you facing off against another opponent for the chance to earn Battle Points (BP). Your BP's will go up or down depending on whether you win or lose. The greater the BP levels are between the two players the greater or lesser the effect will be. If player levels are fairly close (say within 100 or so points) the gain/loss is around 30 or so points. BP levels are used as an approximation of skill, but some players have artificially raised their BP levels, so take any BP value with a grain of salt.
-Player matches are generally used to play people when statistics aren't a concern. A lot of good players can be found this way, probably more so than in Ranked mode. The biggest advantage of Player matches are that when a game is over, you go back to a lobby and can play the opponent again. This is the best way to play games with friends or fellow Penny Arcade people.
-Championship mode is a free DLC that was added after launch. This mode is for people who want to really step up their game and challenge better players. In this mode, you start by entering into the lowest level of tournaments and earn Grade Points (GP) to advance to higher level tournaments. As you earn GPs your rank will rise from E all the way up to A. After that, you will move up to the next tournament level and start back down at E again. This continues through four levels of tournaments. Most PA players here fall in the G3 or G2 rankings. You can earn GPs by defeating other players in tournaments. When you defeat someone, you earn their current GPs in the form of Championship Points (CP). When you finish the tournament, your earned CPs are converted into GPs and added to your total.

PC 'Mod'ness!
To unlock everything on the PC including titles, colors, taunts, icons, and characters, please follow this link: PC Unlocks

The PA Fighting Game Community!

We have a friends list, you can access it here!
First, enter your data here, using this form!
Then, you can view the list of players here.

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

The Great Friends List Revision, Part the First!

Okay, friends listing updates. Just about everyone who posts in this thread with any sort of frequency has been auto upgraded to Super. If you silly geese don't buy the game within a few days of Super, I will find you and murder you for ruining the integrity of my all important list. There is one notable exception to this: if you have only signed up for multiple platforms, I didn't upgrade you on either one, since I don't know which (if not both) you'll be getting.

So, multiplatform people and lurkers should message me to clarify. Lurkers were hated on since I don't know if they died since adding themselves to the list.

Also, if you want to add or drop a platform from your entry (due to sale or explosion or something) you should tell me what I'm dropping and adding (along with what games to add if adding). Finally, if you've done a gamertag change or need to change aaaaanything else* on the friends list. Do it.

As always, be as specific as possible when telling me what I'm changing on the list, and MAKE SURE YOU'RE ON IT TO BEGIN WITH. A few people have told me to update their data despite not actually being on the list. If you're not on the list, the form is updated and ready to add you. Please also make sure you double check information on the list. Even if you were probably autoupdated, I may have skipped you, or there may just be other out of date information, such as games you bought on sale *COUGH* *HDR* *COUGH* *MVC2* *COUGH*

*I am not changing your main to [insert new character here] because s/he looks super cool and you TOTALLY want to play him/her but then two weeks after release you figure out s/he doesn't really gel with you and you need to go back to [old main]. I will probably make a call for main updates about a month or so after release, so you know what's sticking.

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

Thanks to MNC Dover, OP originator.

ChaosHat on

• TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea new thread!

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huzzah, new thread!

blaze_zero on
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah. Was going to post some of my videos in fresh new thread, but I guess antihippy beat me to the punch :P

Theoretically speaking, Dudley has ridiculous cancelables from chains, but you need to be a G and a half to be able to hitconfirm his faster 2 hit chains. Linking / using longer chains will make the combos more range dependent and make the damage scale much more.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, but when he can hit confirm huge combos from a fast low chain and a fast overhead is where things are going to get interesting. He's going to be down right fierce in this game. He already pretty much has the best overhead in the game.

His low target doesn't have much range, so eh. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses in the game.

Also, is it just me or does his throw do more damage than usual?

Antihippy on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    damn it, I wanted to call Chaos lazy for not having a new thread up :[

aBlank on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My friend and I were talking about this the other day and it got me to thinking. Can anyone remember a game ever being in the hands of reviewers for nearly a full two months before its street date? I've been playing games for almost 30 years and I can never recall a company holding out a finished product for months while letting a few select people have full working copies.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    damn it, I wanted to call Chaos lazy for not having a new thread up :[

Even at the airport, the Hat is always on top of the thread. Thank god the Palm Pre is so awesome.

ChaosHat on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SabreMau on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh Deejay, you are terrible.

blaze_zero on
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q6HlhFvjnw

Mmmm makoto.

JWong messes up the hayate>super>ultra. :lol:

edit: you know what, the loading really SUCKS.

And that's the Xbox version too. D: Wonder how the PS3 version will fare.

Antihippy on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm guessing they haven't loaded these things to disk yet.

"Ibuki is like Viper and Akuma combined. Vortex plus superjump canceling equals Ibuki."

SabreMau on
    edited March 2010
    These were running off disk on debug consoles. Load times will not be different from original game.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
    edited March 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    [url]

Mmmm makoto.

JWong messes up the hayate>super>ultra. :lol:

edit: you know what, the loading really SUCKS.

And that's the Xbox version too. D: Wonder how the PS3 version will fare.[/url]

I asked Seth about the loading. He said it's because it's a dev build on the developer 360. Should be better for the real deal.

ChaosHat on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A couple of days ago I discovered something that will make it much easier for me to do double quater circles. It can be down as d df d df f, which lets me do it without the stick leaving the edge.

I kinda wish I had known that earlier.

Peewi on
    edited March 2010
    While that does work I suggest you still try and work on the motion with out pushing the stick to the gate. You can improve overall execution if you can do the smaller movements.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    I didn't even know movements registered without hitting the gate =X

Charge characters for life!

sabyul on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    While that does work I suggest you still try and work on the motion with out pushing the stick to the gate. You can improve overall execution if you can do the smaller movements.

That might be, but it's so much easier this way.

Peewi on
    edited March 2010
    There is at least one video of me (Juri) getting raped by Justin (Ibuki) on the Africa stage. This is the one that needs to be uploaded and linked in the thread so I can watch it at the airport.

ChaosHat on
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpOhs3dxGI

:?:

edit: I really need to go to sleep.

Antihippy on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So is the bonus for having SF4 confirmed to be an extra color? Do we know if that's the only way to get that color, or if it will also be unlockable in game somehow?

Lars on
    edited March 2010
    Come to think of it there should be another one, Juri vs Dudley where he's giving commentary too.

ChaosHat on
    edited March 2010
    I haven't uploaded all of them yet. I've got another set after the character-specific ones, probably another half hour of footage or so. Including both me and sethk winning grudge matches ;)

EDIT: Seth did not take anyone's money by beasting them in game! It was just for fun. His thawk is good though...

sabyul on
    edited March 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    So is the bonus for having SF4 confirmed to be an extra color? Do we know if that's the only way to get that color, or if it will also be unlockable in game somehow?

Seth wouldn't tell me this at PAX. He did tell me it's pretty cool and that you'd want to have it, but it has nothing to do with gameplay. He said Ono would announce it in a week or so.

ChaosHat on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Seth wouldn't tell me this at PAX. He did tell me it's pretty cool and that you'd want to have it, but it has nothing to do with gameplay. He said Ono would announce it in a week or so.

Ooooh, so mysterious. I'm all hyped again over what it could be. :P
    sabyul wrote: »
    I haven't uploaded all of them yet. I've got another set after the character-specific ones, probably another half hour of footage or so. Including both me and sethk winning money matches ;)

Recouping some of the FADC costs by beasting on people? Excellent idea. 8-)

Kris on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After seeing some of this FADC footage (FADC rules) I am getting curious again about Guy. Have any super cool Fighting Streets dudes had anything to say about him? It seems like everyone who plays him is still getting a grip on how he works. I didn't see any Bushin Chain FADC or op EX Tatsu.

Walt on
    edited March 2010
    Isn't Seth K playing money matches in reasonably bad taste? He's the Capcom community lead isn't he? He's all hey community folks hows about I beast you for profit :)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd be decently happy with extra colors, but I'm a sucker for extra colors, especially if they are special ones like Angry Ken and stuff.

Inquisitor on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isn't Seth K playing money matches in reasonably bad taste? He's the Capcom community lead isn't he? He's all hey community folks hows about I beast you for profit :)
    He is leading the community in beasting saps for profit.

Walt on
    edited March 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    He is leading the community in beasting saps for profit.

I mean from a Capcom point of view he represents them at events even if he is on his own time it's sort of a conflict of interest to be playing for money. That's it lets file a class action suit...
    not really.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't really think that Seth K playing money matches in an informal setting is an issue. I mean, he'll never enter another SF/Capcom game tourney as long as he's employed there.

So let the guy have his fun, it's not like he's scamming people. Most everyone knows who Seth is by now.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited March 2010
    Seth's was a fake money match. He gave the money back afterwards. :P I figured people would just assume

sabyul on
    edited March 2010
    sabyul wrote: »
    Seth's was a fake money match. He gave the money back afterwards. :P I figured people would just assume

Looks like we got baited.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited March 2010
    Corporate suits might think otherwise, I was just saying maybe not a great idea.

I like the guy and what he does for the scene and capcom and would hate to see him get grief over money matches.

E: Yay for Seth not being dumb :)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    -Ibuki vs Hakan vid

This is me!

Hey! You landed an Ultra on Justin Wong!

*High five*

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm curious why shady didn't take boxer to better gauge what it will be like to play against Ibuki. No one has had time to perfect her yet but justin seems to have some good ideas for vortex with her.

stigweard on
    edited March 2010
    I am all for JWong playing Ibuki I can't watch the video but I am fairly sure she must be more interesting to watch then most Rufus matches go.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    This is just the salty dog in me talking, but I can't help but think that because of all the extra time Justin has spent with Super before it hits retail, that he'll have quite a sizable advantage over players who get it on the 27th.

Not that Justin isn't amazing enough as it is, it's just that it's gonna make it even harder for some high-level players who have to wait for retail to catch up with him.

I know it won't be an issue in six months, but some stuff like EVO is only 3 months away.

Hiryu02 on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Super Street Fighter 4 is going to be Super Duds Fighter 4.

someone hurry up and change the Ken Fighter 4 pic to Duds Fighter 4 - flowcharters are gonna flock to Duds so much. :lol:

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ