Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

OtherOS fallout, Sony's changed the EULA now. It's not good. [Page 8]

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
New firmware up ins, they are dropping OtherOS from the phats. Most likely because the hypervisor on the Linux side has been broken on the hardware level and can not be patched. It appears to be the last gasp for home Cell programming.

IBM has moved on to GPGPU
Toshiba is pretty much going to just use cells in blade servers ($8-$22 grand a pop)
I guess you can lolsony about the fact that this update does nothing but remove functionality, but I was kind of shocked it was still in the phats after the slim came out.

Geohot has got some virtrol on his blog comments. The PS3 Linux community isn't very pleased with him "screwing it up for everyone else"

Just in case you think this is a April fool's joke. check this guy's twitter

This post says it all.

halkun on
«1345

Posts

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What does this mean to me, as a "doesn't really fuck with his console" consumer?

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    What does this mean to me, as a "doesn't really fuck with his console" consumer?

    Absolutely nothing, far as I can tell

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, 99.99% of pre-Slim PS3 owners won't notice a thing. Personally I'm just surprised there's people still trying to develop stuff in Linux on the PS3, outside of geohot's hack (which hit a dead end) and the researchers that used them to set up Cell farms.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    geo's blog and twitter say nothing of this. . . what gives?

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, Sony's trying to fuck over anyone that uses Cell computing for research?
    (That includes the US Military, among other things.)

    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // WiiU: VagrantWinds // Steam & LoL: VWinds //
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    geo's blog and twitter say nothing of this. . . what gives?

    It looks like he deleted his PS3 stuff off his page.

  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, Sony's trying to fuck over anyone that uses Cell computing for research?
    (That includes the US Military, among other things.)

    It's an optional update. You just won't get access to PSN.

    Which would suit them just fine, unless their employees have been sneaking in a game or 2. :lol:

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this annoys me and I don't even plan on using the exploit. I thought it was bad enough that Sony's business strategy on the PS3 is remove a feature -> pack in a bigger hard drive. . . which is cheaper for them anyway because of the way the hdd market goes.

    I mean, I hunted a 60gb down in the wild just so I could have a non-gimped PS3. Now if I want to play games on it I have to allow them to cripple it. :(

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They just better not get any ideas on disabling PS2 support on the PS3s that can still do it.

    steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, 99.99% of pre-Slim PS3 owners won't notice a thing.

    Though that 0.01% will absolutely RAGE.

    Utterly odd move, but I guess if something's broken, it's broken. And let's face it, not enough people use Linux on the PS3 to make it worth the time and effort to fix the right way.

    Then again Linux has always been for people who like to do things the hardest way possible.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • BeltaineBeltaine The End of TimeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they plan on crippling PS/PS2 support, I'll simply unplug my PS3 from the net and continue on. I have a crap ton of PS/PS2 games in my backlog, and still snag at least one a month from ebay.

    Trepanning is the art of cutting the skull open to let the gods in.
    PSN: Beltaine-77
    Steam: beltane77
    Gamertag:Beltaine
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, 99.99% of pre-Slim PS3 owners won't notice a thing.

    Though that 0.01% will absolutely RAGE.

    Utterly odd move, but I guess if something's broken, it's broken. And let's face it, not enough people use Linux on the PS3 to make it worth the time and effort to fix the right way.

    Then again Linux has always been for people who like to do things the hardest way possible.

    There is no way to fix it the 'right' way aside from a recall. Geohot hacked into the actual hardware, and while he can't do jack in there (despite his ridiculous claims/photoshops to try and save face), I don't think Sony's going to take any chances after what happened with the PSP.

    Let that 0.01% rage though, alongside the larger group of people that never would've actually installed Linux but for some reason really care about it now. Personally I probably would've been a bit more negative if I hadn't read some of the posts from the silly geese at GAF.

    HyperAquaBlast: PS2 BC and Linux are entirely different things, you have nothing to worry about.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I use OtherOS on my PS3. This annoys me.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a YDL install. I've used it a grand total of once over many years.

    I'm still pissed though.

    gBpkw.jpg
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, 99.99% of pre-Slim PS3 owners won't notice a thing.

    Though that 0.01% will absolutely RAGE.

    Utterly odd move, but I guess if something's broken, it's broken. And let's face it, not enough people use Linux on the PS3 to make it worth the time and effort to fix the right way.

    Then again Linux has always been for people who like to do things the hardest way possible.

    There is no way to fix it the 'right' way aside from a recall. Geohot hacked into the actual hardware, and while he can't do jack in there (despite his ridiculous claims/photoshops to try and save face), I don't think Sony's going to take any chances after what happened with the PSP.

    Let that 0.01% rage though, alongside the larger group of people that never would've actually installed Linux but for some reason really care about it now. Personally I probably would've been a bit more negative if I hadn't read some of the posts from the silly geese at GAF.

    HyperAquaBlast: PS2 BC and Linux are entirely different things, you have nothing to worry about.

    insert Niemöller's "First they came. . ." poem here.

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, 99.99% of pre-Slim PS3 owners won't notice a thing.

    Though that 0.01% will absolutely RAGE.

    Utterly odd move, but I guess if something's broken, it's broken. And let's face it, not enough people use Linux on the PS3 to make it worth the time and effort to fix the right way.

    Then again Linux has always been for people who like to do things the hardest way possible.

    There is no way to fix it the 'right' way aside from a recall. Geohot hacked into the actual hardware, and while he can't do jack in there (despite his ridiculous claims/photoshops to try and save face), I don't think Sony's going to take any chances after what happened with the PSP.

    Let that 0.01% rage though, alongside the larger group of people that never would've actually installed Linux but for some reason really care about it now. Personally I probably would've been a bit more negative if I hadn't read some of the posts from the silly geese at GAF.

    HyperAquaBlast: PS2 BC and Linux are entirely different things, you have nothing to worry about.

    That's a pretty bold claim, why do you believe this is so? Do you think sony would patch out a "feature" just because some guy faked cracking the hypervisor? You do know he made that stuff available, right?

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wavecutter wrote: »
    That's a pretty bold claim, why do you believe this is so? Do you think sony would patch out a "feature" just because some guy faked cracking the hypervisor? You do know he made that stuff available, right?

    Did you actually read my post? Where did I say he faked hacking into the hypervisor? He quite obviously did, but everything he's said (and shown) since has been pretty unreliable. Or do you really believe the 'hello geohot' screen is real despite the fact that it doesn't line up with the other text?

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • jerzakiejerzakie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty disappointed. I got a PS3 to replace my modded XBox so I can run some old emulators on Linux.

    "... it's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do... " - Flea
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Before PS3 came out, I remember people going on about what a Big Fucking Deal it was that Linux could go on there.

    Turns out not I suppose.

    fragglefart.jpg
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I believe geohot. I read up on him and the exploit including the technical stuff when I first heard about them removing OtherOS last night. And its not like the guy just talks out of his ass, he has released many an iPhone jailbreak app. And others have replicated his hack. Yes this doesn't allow you play pirated games yet, but really with people having this kind of access its only a matter of time. If SONY didn't think it was legit why would they remove the feature.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was actually mulling over installing Linux onto my PS3, essentially I was curious of trying the idea of ripping my bluray films to my media center since the only bluray drive I own is in my PS3. Guess that leaves me with two choices now, either buy a bluray drive for my media center or a certain other option.

    EDIT: As to the whole piracy thing, honestly rather than pirates using the other os feature they'll likely just develop a modchip that exploits the hole. Sony using bluray has been a much bigger deterrent to piracy than any other hardware or software security mechanisms. The PS3 is what, half way through it's mainstream lifespan before the PS4 comes around? And during that entire time, no pirate games.

    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I was actually mulling over installing Linux onto my PS3, essentially I was curious of trying the idea of ripping my bluray films to my media center since the only bluray drive I own is in my PS3. Guess that leaves me with two choices now, either buy a bluray drive for my media center or a certain other option.

    EDIT: As to the whole piracy thing, honestly rather than pirates using the other os feature they'll likely just develop a modchip that exploits the hole. Sony using bluray has been a much bigger deterrent to piracy than any other hardware or software security mechanisms. The PS3 is what, half way through it's mainstream lifespan before the PS4 comes around? And during that entire time, no pirate games.
    When you say blu ray is the biggest piracy deterrent on PS3 do you mean the larger sizes of games making distribution harder? Or do you mean that fewer people would have access to burn them combined with more expensive blank discs?

    I'm not sure how large the average PS3 game is, but seeing how many games are multisystem, I'm guessing filling up the BD ROM is unusual. I remember reading somewhere that many PS3 games would have chunks of identical data to speed up loading, so ISOs might be compressed considerably. Also depending on how completely the system was broken, some of the data, video in particular, could be encoded to take less space. Recompressing video was used in particular on the Dreamcast to fit games on standard CDs. (The Dreamcasts GD ROM was closer to 1gb.)

    The higher priced and less available blu ray burner/discs would also not stop PS3 home piracy*.
    A broken PS3 would either play burned dvd9 games or directly from internal or external HD.

    I would say the largest piracy deterrent for PS3 is how hard it is to run unsigned code with all privileges.

    *Blu ray is probably a great deterrent for professional piracy. A blu ray production line is too probably too expensive for any professional bootleggers.
    Although I have not heard of professional Xbox360 or Wii bootlegs that will run on non-modified hardware in the wild. Do they exist?

    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I was actually mulling over installing Linux onto my PS3, essentially I was curious of trying the idea of ripping my bluray films to my media center since the only bluray drive I own is in my PS3. Guess that leaves me with two choices now, either buy a bluray drive for my media center or a certain other option.

    EDIT: As to the whole piracy thing, honestly rather than pirates using the other os feature they'll likely just develop a modchip that exploits the hole. Sony using bluray has been a much bigger deterrent to piracy than any other hardware or software security mechanisms. The PS3 is what, half way through it's mainstream lifespan before the PS4 comes around? And during that entire time, no pirate games.
    When you say blu ray is the biggest piracy deterrent on PS3 do you mean the larger sizes of games making distribution harder? Or do you mean that fewer people would have access to burn them combined with more expensive blank discs?

    I'm not sure how large the average PS3 game is, but seeing how many games are multisystem, I'm guessing filling up the BD ROM is unusual. I remember reading somewhere that many PS3 games would have chunks of identical data to speed up loading, so ISOs might be compressed considerably. Also depending on how completely the system was broken, some of the data, video in particular, could be encoded to take less space. Recompressing video was used in particular on the Dreamcast to fit games on standard CDs. (The Dreamcasts GD ROM was closer to 1gb.)

    The higher priced and less available blu ray burner/discs would also not stop PS3 home piracy*.
    A broken PS3 would either play burned dvd9 games or directly from internal or external HD.

    I would say the largest piracy deterrent for PS3 is how hard it is to run unsigned code with all privileges.

    *Blu ray is probably a great deterrent for professional piracy. A blu ray production line is too probably too expensive for any professional bootleggers.
    Although I have not heard of professional Xbox360 or Wii bootlegs that will run on non-modified hardware in the wild. Do they exist?

    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    All of the above; combined with the price of blank bluray discs, the price of getting a bluray writer and the sheer size of PS3 games it makes more sense to pick up the games used or at budget pricing. A year ago a single 25GB bluray disc would cost something like £10 right?

    Looking on ebuyer a spindle of 10 25GB bluray discs costs £14.49, so to round off that's £1.45 per disc. Compare that with a spindle of 100 DVD-R's which cost £8.99, if you're a pirate it makes more sense to own a 360 or Wii.

    Good point on the padding, I'm guessing video on PS3 games gets a nice big bitrate. Which kind of explains some of the complaints about video quality of the FF13 video on the 360 version.

    I'm guessing most PS3 games are around the 25GB point to avoid the extra cost of dual layer (50GB). A quick look on the interwebs confirms this, Uncharted 1 & 2 are 24GB. Which is funny since nobody can play the pirate copies.

    EDIT: If memory serves correctly it was a similar situation to when the PS2 first came out, blank DVD's at the time were pretty expensive.

    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.

    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // WiiU: VagrantWinds // Steam & LoL: VWinds //
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't see any reason why anyone would be surprised by this, Sony are not going to let even a small chance of another PSP style situation developing.
    If that means pissing off less than 3% of the user base, so be it.

    7civoyfa87k5.png
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User
    edited March 2010
    FF13 video looking crap on 360 was partly because of space, but mostly lazy constant bitrate encoding:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off?page=3

    The price of blank Blu Ray discs might make hypothetical piracy on the PS3 more expensive then piracy on 360/Wii.
    However it is just as likely that a hypothetical PS3 hack would require a genuine disc in the Blu Ray reader to circumvent any anti piracy stuff in the Blu Ray's firmware, and blank Blu Ray discs would never enter into the equation.
    This is how piracy on the PSP worked in the beginning, and game data would then be streamed from the internal HD, USB or ethernet.

    Cost is probably a large incentive to stay on single layer Blu Ray. Also if dual layer Blu Ray behaves like dual layer DVD, then speed is probably another reason to stay single layer.

    EDIT:
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.
    Wii piracy without a modchip is possible now? I haven't paid attention to Wii news.

    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.

    The wii doesn't use "unusual discs."

    and yes, Wii has purely software mods that exist.

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.

    The wii doesn't use "unusual discs."

    and yes, Wii has purely software mods that exist.

    Without going into details, not only are they software mods, but they are pathetically easy to install and most of them have no chance of bricking.

    camo_sig2.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FF13 video looking crap on 360 was partly because of space, but mostly lazy constant bitrate encoding:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off?page=3

    The price of blank Blu Ray discs might make hypothetical piracy on the PS3 more expensive then piracy on 360/Wii.
    However it is just as likely that a hypothetical PS3 hack would require a genuine disc in the Blu Ray reader to circumvent any anti piracy stuff in the Blu Ray's firmware, and blank Blu Ray discs would never enter into the equation.
    This is how piracy on the PSP worked in the beginning, and game data would then be streamed from the internal HD, USB or ethernet.

    Cost is probably a large incentive to stay on single layer Blu Ray. Also if dual layer Blu Ray behaves like dual layer DVD, then speed is probably another reason to stay single layer.

    EDIT:
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.
    Wii piracy without a modchip is possible now? I haven't paid attention to Wii news.

    You need an SD card and nothing else.

    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // WiiU: VagrantWinds // Steam & LoL: VWinds //
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    VicWhiten wrote: »
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.

    The wii doesn't use "unusual discs."

    and yes, Wii has purely software mods that exist.

    Without going into details, not only are they software mods, but they are pathetically easy to install and most of them have no chance of bricking.

    I'd imagine that the console's popularity, rather than its architecture, has a lot to do with this. But I could be very, very wrong.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the console's popularity, rather than its architecture, has a lot to do with this. But I could be very, very wrong.

    Nah. It has to do with some pretty stupid mistakes on Nintendo's part. First they didn't wipe the 64MB of memory when it loaded a game cube disc (which only uses 16MB). So people were able to able to read stuff they shouldn't have been able to very quickly because they could use existing game cube methods. Then they went through all the trouble to put their signing key on a protected spot on the chip but then they ended up leaving a copy of it in every firmware revision.


    EDIT: I might be wrong about the sizes of the ram, but the idea is the same.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the console's popularity, rather than its architecture, has a lot to do with this. But I could be very, very wrong.

    Nah. It has to do with some pretty stupid mistakes on Nintendo's part. First they didn't wipe the 64MB of memory when it loaded a game cube disc (which only uses 16MB). So people were able to able to read stuff they shouldn't have been able to very quickly because they could use existing game cube methods. Then they went through all the trouble to put their signing key on a protected spot on the chip but then they ended up leaving a copy of it in every firmware revision.

    No kidding. I don't own a Wii, so it's kind of hard to get a grasp of this. I suppose it's just a case of different priorities on Nintendo's part.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I think it is more that Nintendo has constructed an empire in which pretty much only first party games sell well, and every 6 months they can release a brand new piece of hardware which will also sell well because they're required by the first party games. Where they make so much money on hardware alone they could practically give all the games away for free and still be profiting.

    not to say this isn't a bad strategy.

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the console's popularity, rather than its architecture, has a lot to do with this. But I could be very, very wrong.

    Nah. It has to do with some pretty stupid mistakes on Nintendo's part. First they didn't wipe the 64MB of memory when it loaded a game cube disc (which only uses 16MB). So people were able to able to read stuff they shouldn't have been able to very quickly because they could use existing game cube methods. Then they went through all the trouble to put their signing key on a protected spot on the chip but then they ended up leaving a copy of it in every firmware revision.


    EDIT: I might be wrong about the sizes of the ram, but the idea is the same.

    You are, the Wii has 88MB of RAM and the GameCube used around 43.

    Everything else is true, which just means those holes will be fixed for their next go-round.

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Two pages?

    I figured this such a non-issue that it didn't even warrant a mention, let alone its own thread

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wavecutter wrote: »
    That's a pretty bold claim, why do you believe this is so? Do you think sony would patch out a "feature" just because some guy faked cracking the hypervisor? You do know he made that stuff available, right?
    Did you actually read my post? Where did I say he faked hacking into the hypervisor? He quite obviously did, but everything he's said (and shown) since has been pretty unreliable. Or do you really believe the 'hello geohot' screen is real despite the fact that it doesn't line up with the other text?

    Silly goose, you implied that the screenshots were fake. I think it's forgivable if I inferred that to mean the whole thing was fake.

  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm kinda sad about it, just cause its cool to have a real operating system on a console, but in reality I never used it because its too slow and the ps3 doesn't have enough ram. My kids used to play gcompris (linux educational game) on it, but I've since given them an old laptop to use, so no big loss.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard it was nothing good anyway because of the low RAM. I can't imagine it has a userbase of over 500 people, but I still don't understand why someone would remove a feature for "Security purposes."

  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exotic disc hardware is no piracy deterrent in it self. The two systems with the most unusual discs the last 10 years, PSP and Dreamcast, were also the two that was easiest to pirate on. (Easiest, as in needed no additional hardware)

    Actually, the Wii is the easiest by a long shot.

    yep all the wii needs is a HDD, an SD card and about 2 mins of software downloads/installations to exploit it. Its pretty ironic that one of Nintendo's biggest focus when looking at hardware design is anti-piracy measures (Change to cartridges for the N64 small Disc's for the Gamecube etc) and now they have the two easiest consoles to exploit.

    I have REZ for the Dreamcast PAL for sale £35. Other Excellent retro games for sale PM for details
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't. Take. Away. Features. Dammit, Sony. Even if it was barely used, it gets noticed.

«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.