As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I can't poop unless I'm at work

RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not kidding at all, guys. I have serious concerns that the next time I take a week-long vacation there could be some ramifications.

When I'm at home I go maybe once a day, and they're extremely unimpressive and not very easy to let go of.

When I'm at work I can go up to 3 times a day and they mean business. Early in the morning my stomach starts to hurt I have to go so bad and I never feel this while at home.

I work retail and am on my feet all day, but the first "movement" happens maybe half an hour after entering the store, so I don't think it's activity related. It feels much how you'd feel after drinking way too much coffee. At home, where my coffee habits are roughly the same, I never experience this feeling, except on rare occasion.

What is wrong with me PA?

Remington on

• FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stress maybe?, try doing some abdominal exercises, and see if that loosen your intestines.

Consumption of Yogurt can restore instestinal flora and make things easier.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Difference between work coffee and home coffee?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone spiking your morning work coffee with laxative.
    Have any enemies at work?

rfalias on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Remington wrote: »
    I'm not kidding at all, guys. I have serious concerns that the next time I take a week-long vacation there could be some ramifications.

If you take a week long vacation and don't poop, you'll have ramifications alright... specifically from the doctor raming his gloved finger up your butt. Well, not ramming... but it'll sure feel that way.

Why don't you go to the doctor, I'm sure he can prescribe you something to help you go at home... or in the event that you leave for vacation, for you to go while abroad.

MagicToaster on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sort of the same way but when I take time off it still comes all the same.

I think it has to do with routine, yours might be the same way.

Sipex on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's routine. Eat something with a LOT of fiber early in the morning if you're concerned.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bet your body is set to some sort of pattern. Try fiber or something and you'll be alright.

It could be because you're standing as well. Try doing a jog or something to see if that helps?

e: What bowen said.

urahonky on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Difference between work coffee and home coffee?
    Personal experience suggests that the older coffee is the less powerful its laxative-like effects. Pre-ground coffee ages much quicker than ground coffee in that regard.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What happens when you have a day off? Just one day. Do you not poop until you go into work the next day? If you poop on your days off at about the same time, then it's just a matter of routine.

Eating a breakfast helps me. Gets the inner workings moving.

Underdog on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    prunes

delicious!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Prune juice

A warrior's drink

GungHo on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    It could be because you're standing as well. Try doing a jog or something to see if that helps?

This is what I was thinking, especially if you're not very active at home.

Fats on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It is probably just a mental association with work. I used to get home anywhere from 3 pm to 6 or 7 pm after being at school (where I could not poop), but the second I got home, whether it was 3:15 or 7, I had to poop.

It was really weird.

Chop Logic on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't get why everyone passed over the fact that you're concerned with going once per day and think you need to go three times per day to be normal.

Three times per day seems excessive.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually go once a day, and everything is fine. :)

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Start eating lots of fresh fruit.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited March 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone passed over the fact that you're concerned with going once per day and think you need to go three times per day to be normal.

Three times per day seems excessive.

Normal ranges anywhere from 3 times a day to 4 or so times a week depending on your diet.

People who eat more vegetables tend to poo more than people who eat lots more meat. For good reason too. So 3 isn't unheard of and if he doesn't poop at home it may also be mental conditioning whilst routine. Sort of he noticed he takes lots of poops at work so that's when his body will recognize the motions. At home he's probably lounging and relaxing and doesn't care enough to. I'd guess.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eat high fiber quaker oat oatmeal and take care of your cholesterol while you're at it

edit: alright alright, what time do you go to work, what do you eat for breakfast if anything, when do you go to sleep, are you taking any medications, are you lactose intolerant, do you have a history of any stomach conditions like acid reflux, how stressful is your life geez

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you have anxiety about going at other locations? For instance, if you are on vacation BY YOURSELF, would you be fine? Is it uncomfortable to go in other peoples' homes, whereas public locations are fine?

SideAffects on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Prune juice

A warrior's drink

Is that a Star Trek: The Next Generation quote?

Djeet on
  • Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Non-pharmacolgical treatment: Increase fluids, fiber, exercise; also don't hold it in when you have to go

Pharmacological: it sounds like you may just need an extra "push" while you are at home, I'd use something like maybe Docusate to soften your stool and some senna to stimulate your bowels.

I know from personal experience that exercise really gets my bowels moving. You may want to try jogging around the neighborhood or even just walking. From what you've written I really get the sense that the moving around on your feet is what's helping things along when you are at work.

As always, go see your doctor and let them know your issues if it becomes unbearable.

Raif Severance on
    edited March 2010
    Oh god, I'd recommend not using a laxative/softener like that unless you're constipated.

Otherwise, because you're not sick, and not prepared for it, you'll shit yourself pretty badly when you go to fart or something. True Story.

bowen on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Natural laxatives: prunes, fibrous veggies, drinking enough water
    Not-so-natural laxatives: metamucil, fiber pills, sugar-free candy made with maltitol.

Also: think about differences between work and home. You're on your feet all day at work. Do you get exercise at home?

And on the psychological end, make happy rituals associated with pooping. Take a book to the bathroom. Couldn't hurt.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Try getting up a little earlier and first thing going and sitting on the toilet. Take a book.

Although the fact that you shit three times a day is a little weird. I sit on the toilet for about 20 minutes every morning with my laptop and do my business for the whole day like clockwork.

Esh on
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you could try a bit of psyllium husk while on vacation. I don't care what you think, it WILL make you shit.

krush on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've spent a lot of time on the subject, and I think, at least some people, have a mental thing. For me, I refuse to poop in public. I just don't like it. I don't like walking into the bathroom to pee and having to smell someone's shit. I don't want to subject others to mine. I'm also a bit of a germaphobe and don't like the idea of sitting on a public toilet. So because of that, I never feel the urge to go while I'm at work or in public.

My weekday routine is get up at 5:30, take a shower and all that (brush teeth, etc), and then that's when the urge hits me. Like clockwork. If for some reason I don't feel the urge, I'll be fine at work all day, and then as soon as I get home, bam, gotta go. I think it's some mental block I've put in place so I don't have to go at work. There's even been times where I kinda felt the urge, but went to town or something, and the urge went away. As soon as I got home, gotta go.

So I'm willing to bet there's something mental with you, but I don't know how to tell you to "fix" it.

Sir Carcass on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I suppose I'm not extremely active while off work, but really I'm only in the store for 20 mins before I have to make a B-line for the can. Surely just going up and down the stairs and showering equal standing around at work for half an hour. Although I think the stress and hatred I feel for my job could contribute. That and it sometimes feels like an escape from the lunacy could be making it into a bit of a "happy place" which is pretty hilarious, really. I do make it a point to drink a couple bottles of water every day and I don't drink as much pop as I used to before working here, so I feel like that's unrelated. Even my food intake is roughly the same from place to place (I keep a stockpile of canned soup in my locker for lunch time, but I only eat that at lunch and the majority of my pooping happens before lunch).

Also, I poop UP TO 3 times a day. Usually its twice. At home its once AT MOST and even that one is a quarter the size of the ones at work. I've been on this routine for over a year now and its only been a minor annoyance for me. I've considered what's different between work and home but with the short time I'm at work before I need to poop I feel like it has to be psychological.

Remington on
  • dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    Prune juice

A warrior's drink

Is that a Star Trek: The Next Generation quote?

It is. I laughed.

dwwatermelon on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorry I'm not replying to everyones messages, I'm actually at work right now on my phone. And I've pooped twice already with 4 hours left on my shift.

Remington on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Your bowels are just financially savvy. They know that when you're at home no one is paying you to poop so it's far smarter to save it up for work where you get paid by the hour to lay cable.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you smoke or consume caffeine?

These things can trigger bowel movements, at least the 1st ones of the day.

Djeet on
    edited March 2010
    Take a book into the bathroom at home. I read an 800 page novel in a month, all on the toilet.

...This is also how I read a lot of the more boring books for school.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited March 2010
    Oh also, yoga pooping. Instead of sitting on the toilet, I stand on the seat and squat over it. Adds way more pressure to the bowels, and you poop more and faster.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited March 2010
    My toilet is small as it is, how the hell do you squat OVER the seat to poop?

urahonky on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Your bowels are just financially savvy. They know that when you're at home no one is paying you to poop so it's far smarter to save it up for work where you get paid by the hour to lay cable.

Also, think of the money he's saving on water and toilet paper if he's going three times a day!

Sir Carcass on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Also, think of the money he's saving on water and toilet paper if he's going three times a day!

I think he's just a masochist and enjoys torturing his coworkers. Deeper psychological problems are at work here.

OP. I suggest you seek professional mental help.

Esh on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Esh wrote: »

I think he's just a masochist and enjoys torturing his coworkers. Deeper psychological problems are at work here.

OP. I suggest you seek professional mental help.

No, I'm pretty sure he should dump her

Rent on
    edited March 2010
    Retail poops are the worst because you have customers coming in doing their business too. I say that these poops aren't benefiting him in the least bit.

urahonky on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When I lived in Victoria I always had to do a poo at 8:30. No matter where I was. Except for weekends. Occasionally on a Saturday I'd get woken up and have to do one.

Sounds normal to me.

The title made me laugh.

EskimoDave on
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exercise when you are at home and the poop will flow. A few things could be happening... you eat differently at work than at home, you're more active when you are at work, psychologically the work toilet is somehow your comfort zone.

Don't worry about taking a week off, if you gotta poo you'll find a way.

3drage on