As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Empire: Total War - ECONOMMYYYY!!

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm always late to the party with these games.

Is Napoleon vastly superior to E:TW?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Pretty much.

Its less of a clusterfuck, though, and you can't set up vast oversees empire or play as Indians (both kinds, actually).

Each playable faction in NTW has unique uniforms (along with many non-playables), the AI is better, multiplayer drop in battles are awesome, the AI is better, game balance feels a bit better, the AI is better.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone modded Napoleon to make minor factions playable in campaign mode yet

I know they're usually broken as hell but my favorite experience of ETW remains carving out a Maltese Empire spanning the Mediterranean.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some of the mods for NTW are being updated daily. Last time I checked, there are several minor faction mods that works great. The place to check is TWcenter.net. Their forums have tons of great mods.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Pretty much.

Its less of a clusterfuck, though, and you can't set up vast oversees empire or play as Indians (both kinds, actually).

Each playable faction in NTW has unique uniforms (along with many non-playables), the AI is better, multiplayer drop in battles are awesome, the AI is better, game balance feels a bit better, the AI is better.

I'm very confident that those two features will be modded in in all due time. They already seem to be working on them on the TW forums.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popesnax wrote: »
    Has anyone modded Napoleon to make minor factions playable in campaign mode yet

I know they're usually broken as hell but my favorite experience of ETW remains carving out a Maltese Empire spanning the Mediterranean.

Yes. In all those screens I've been posting, those Bavarian units are mine. :P As Timspork said, check out TWC. All factions are playable, including emergent factions. Have fun.

lightinfantry.jpg

One thing thats challenging is that artillery is more important than ever and most minor factions don't start with provinces that can create any. So your first objectives are finding provinces that can and throwing infantry at them.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's kind of ironic in its own right, since even the smallest AI protectorate will be given a few pieces of charity artillery by the game when they form.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Charity artillery? Tee hee.

I picture soldiers standing on the street collecting cannonballs for the poor children of Bavaria

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    Charity artillery? Tee hee.

I picture soldiers standing on the street collecting cannonballs for the poor children of Bavaria

You laugh, but that must be what's happening.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I just won a copy of this from PAX, and I'm downloading it now. How the fuck is this game 21 gigs or is STEAM gone bat shit crazy?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So I just won a copy of this from PAX, and I'm downloading it now. How the fuck is this game 21 gigs or is STEAM gone bat shit crazy?

Welcome to the future.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, let me put this into context. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is 6 gigs. I'm shocked a turned based strategy game has 3x the disc space. It threw me for a loop if you will.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, even Medieval II shipped on 2 DVDs.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Battlefield has like what, 8 skins for people? This has a zillion plus horses. This has all of Europe , in every season, too.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, let me put this into context. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is 6 gigs. I'm shocked a turned based strategy game has 3x the disc space. It threw me for a loop if you will.

Its not a turn based strategy game, per se.

My steam properties says 15,000 mb for Empire, 21,000 for Napoleon. Sounds right.

Also, the newest faction unlocker for NTW on TotalWarCenter has a standalone launcher. Very slick, check it out.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I went ahead and installed the latest version of Imperial Splendour for Empire and started a game as India. I'm doing pretty well, its almost 1720 and I have most of India locked down. Took out a full stack of Dutch line infantry they had sitting in two ships so they shouldn't bother me for a while.

One annoying thing I noticed though is that the Maratha apparently don't have ANY line infantry with this mod. You start with a bit of Barghir but they're also irregular and you can't make more of them. I'm researching European Doctrines (takes like 20 turns) and I'm hoping that'll unlock line infantry.

I also tested out Prussia and although their line infantry has a totally bullshit reload skill of 75 they can't hit worth a damn so I still just ended up plugging in bayonets and going to town, oh well.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, that fixes the ridiculous bullshit Euro-style Maratha armies in vanilla ETW. Does it get rid of them for the Ottomans, too?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, that fixes the ridiculous bullshit Euro-style Maratha armies in vanilla ETW. Does it get rid of them for the Ottomans, too?

Seems to have done for all the muslim factions. The Moghul empire haven't fielded anything but bowmen and melee units against me so far so that offsets the fact my infantry is all irregular. I've also managed to avoid fighting any of the Europeans on land. My full stack of sixth rate ships sink any invasion force before it reaches me and I've managed to secure peace and trade with most of Europe and at this stage I'm getting a sick income and I'm practicly unstoppable.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man NTW really is the game that ETW should have been.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NTW is on sale for an amazing $4 off. Taste the savings.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Laugh if you will, but if I had bought both copies for that $4 off, I could have tasted the savings in one free hamburger.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I commented on the same thing on the STEAM thread.

If 21 GB is a painless, quick download for you over STEAM, congratulations, you are blessed. The other 99.8% of us will either be annoyed by it, or take the quick alternative--a 15 (or however long) minute drive to our local Target/Wal-Mart/Best Buy/Gamestop/EB Games.

Quite literally every one of those locations was selling this game last week. They probably still are. The install off the disc is still on the long side, but it's still far faster than downloading would be for me (and practically everyone) I expect.

What is actually causing the size is a bit perplexing. I am tempted to say 'textures'.

On a gameplay related note, FUCK the AI for the armies they get during times of rebellion. A rebel army for a state that has been reduced to practically nothing should be a stack of untrained misfits and irregulars. It should not be, however, a full stack of experience rank 3 and 4 line infantry, heavy cavalry, and 9 lb cannon crews. If they had also spawned with a general, the English Revolutionaries would have had a better army than anything else in the world, including England, throughout that game. Talk about fucking broken.

That being said, it was a minor complaint (I had two armies on the British Isles, I exterminated every last one of those cheating AI bastards), leaving me with 2 enemy Russian territories in mid 1807. And that's it, I guess.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was playing a bit of MTW 2, and I was struck by how smooth it looks and runs at max settings. I probably need a new video card to get Empire to look that good.

I also realized why Empire is 10 times easier. Units do not break easily in MTW 2, so you will take casualties and often many. They also mob up in sieges, resulting in bloodbaths. Those things aren't necessarily good, they are rather silly. But the Ai itself isn't any better.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Damn it. I read that as on sale for $4. Immediately jumped on steam only to realize what you actually wrote.

Thanks for the buzzkill.

Apostate on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone need a partner for the multiplayer campaign or battles?

Prisca on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was playing a bit of MTW 2, and I was struck by how smooth it looks and runs at max settings. I probably need a new video card to get Empire to look that good.

I also realized why Empire is 10 times easier. Units do not break easily in MTW 2, so you will take casualties and often many. They also mob up in sieges, resulting in bloodbaths. Those things aren't necessarily good, they are rather silly. But the Ai itself isn't any better.

The battle AI is a lot better. In M2TW, most of the time, the AI goes extremely passive, just sitting on top of a hill and making you attack it at a great disadvantage and it's very willing to sit there for forty minutes not doing anything. And repeat for every battle outside of a city.

In Empire, it may do a lot of really stupid or inexplicable things, but at least it isn't as passive. Napoleon's AI seems to be better than Empire's.

And the campaign map AI is better by leaps and bounds.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apostate wrote: »

Damn it. I read that as on sale for $4. Immediately jumped on steam only to realize what you actually wrote.

Thanks for the buzzkill.

I blame your third-grade English teacher.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

The battle AI is a lot better. In M2TW, most of the time, the AI goes extremely passive, just sitting on top of a hill and making you attack it at a great disadvantage and it's very willing to sit there for forty minutes not doing anything. And repeat for every battle outside of a city.

In Empire, it may do a lot of really stupid or inexplicable things, but at least it isn't as passive. Napoleon's AI seems to be better than Empire's.

For starters, England will actually land invasion armies in continental Europe. They'll probably fail, because through most of NTW AI English troop quality is substandard (their fleets are quite good though, and their revolutionaries are goddamn shock troopers).

Also, two weeks to a turn gives you a lot more time to negotiate. I actually look forward to replaying the Europe campaign for the French (as well as the English) and playing more conservatively, since I have no need to be in such a ridiculous rush (I could have finished the campaign in 1807 easily, and I'm playing it on medium).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to replay as Bavaria simply because they are the faction with the best hats. Everyone else goes those dumb looking shakos. Seriously, this period of warfare saw some silly hats to say the least. Time to prove that an army marches on how good its hats look.
    90847160.png

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I look at NTW as a giant "Hey, fans, FUCK YOU"

Seriously I just paid $50 for ETW not too long ago and now they want $50 for a standalone expansion pack?

I seethe with generic rage

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just wait till the uniform editor finally becomes available.

Seriously I just paid $50 for ETW not too long ago and now they want $50 for a standalone expansion pack?

Yeah, I'd be pissed off too, except I avoided ETW. Also, where is it $50? Everywhere I've seen it its been $40.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

$40 if you don't need the extra stuff, which I don't think is really worthwhile. $40 isn't that far off for an expansion pack.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, the only expansion packs I've ever paid $40 for are eight million hour world of warcraft expansions.

The only features of NTW that in interest me, I bought ETW under the assumption those would be patched in

override367 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh look, free DLC for NTW

Some new units

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    Oh look, free DLC for NTW

Some new units

Hmmm? Where?

I heard there were some special editions of NTW, but I really just wanted the game right that moment, not to order it, and not to wait 3 days for it to download over STEAM, so I ran out and got the "basic" limited edition for $40.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I started Steam and the update news said there was free stuff now.

NTW is currently updating, probably installing that

Ivar on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

God, I hated sieges in M2TW.

Sieges in ETW are terrible, but at least the enemy attack and don't make you sit behind your walls for hours as they sit there flinging rocks at you until you either sally and attack their siege engines or they run out of ammunition.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to replay as Bavaria simply because they are the faction with the best hats. Everyone else goes those dumb looking shakos. Seriously, this period of warfare saw some silly hats to say the least. Time to prove that an army marches on how good its hats look.
    90847160.png

I'm not really a Napoleonic era buff, so I actually looked up what Bavaria's uniforms looked like and....pretty similar to in game. The didn't have the built in crest, but the dragoon helmets are a fairly accurate representation.

Also, if you don't like the shako hats, check out Russia.

I do wish they had made more than (essentially) 3 different factions in Empire. Napoleon's unit variety puts it to shame. In NTW, you have say, the Austrian and Prussian infantry look similar. In ETW, they are literally the same thing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    90847160.png

I'm not really a Napoleonic era buff, so I actually looked up what Bavaria's uniforms looked like and....pretty similar to in game. The didn't have the built in crest, but the dragoon helmets are a fairly accurate representation.

Also, if you don't like the shako hats, check out Russia.

I do wish they had made more than (essentially) 3 different factions in Empire. Napoleon's unit variety puts it to shame.

I'm fairly convinced that you could make a comparatively modern looking army with just some minor editing work, if you were so inclined. Use the Russian visor caps and the less ostentatious uniforms, fewer colors, less ornamentation, etc.

If you were so inclined, I mean.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, those Russian militia look like they could have been shipped out to the Eastern Front to fight the Germans in 1914.

I really wish they put that much effort into ETW's armies. If you are going to serve France, I'd take Louis XIV over Napoleon any day. Louis XV....meh, it could go either way.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg