As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did any one see this happen?

HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
I wanted to post a link to a shocking article on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5505341/suspected-game-code-thief-on-the-lam?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

I personaly wouldn't have thought that somone like this would attend our "home" to try and pull a stunt like this.

Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
HunterAngel on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-game-code-theft-at-pax-east-ends-in-arrest/

Step One: Go to PAX. Attend panel on Xbox Live security. Ask to have your banned gamertag un-banned in the Q&A session. Why was it banned? Because you downloaded and played Forza 3 on your modded 360 before release date.

Step Two: Go to Atomic Games' booth. Attempt to steal the code for their as-yet unreleased game Breach. Get Caught. Go to jail.

Step Three: Post your $200 bail.

Step Four: Blow off court and play some MW2!

:edit: Oh well, beaten by 2 minutes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saw that and thought about posting it. I think my attitude towards it is if you gather that many people in one place, statistics say that there are going to be a few idiots in the mix.

SirCuddlez on
  • pardimatepardimate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I guess let's be happy that out of the, what, 60,000-70,000 people that attended, there is only one negative story so far.

pardimate on
    IL8kkvS.png
  • HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pardimate wrote: »
    I guess let's be happy that out of the, what, 60,000-70,000 people that attended, there is only one negative story so far.

That is a good point. I just hope that this does not tarnish "PAX East" vs "PAX prime"

HunterAngel on
    Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
  • ExplosionExplosion Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pardimate wrote: »

That is a good point. I just hope that this does not tarnish "PAX East" vs "PAX prime"

I dunno, seems like actual good press for PAX East. Dude attempts to steal laptop, gets nowhere fast due to quick response by members of the community.

Bad press for BPD though, the bail was set far too low.

Explosion on
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just hope that this does not tarnish "PAX East" vs "PAX prime"

No one should worry about this. In fact, as mentioned in yesterday's Penny Arcade's:
    Tycho wrote:
    We call it PAX East to distinguish it from the other one, it helps to make discussions about them possible, but I've been to every one of them and I can tell you: this was just PAX.

PAX is PAX. Just because it's called East and Prime, doesn't mean anything different between the two. As mentioned between all of the Enforcers, PAX East 2010 felt just like a PAX, and the fact of the matter is, it IS PAX.

For each of these bad stories about people being bad, I can give you 20,000 other stories (including mine) about how PAX was a positive influence and has helped define who I really am.

Thank you to everyone who attended! =)

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • ValyrianValyrian Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    My buddy and I saw him outside with the Boston PD on Sunday. Didn't know what on earth he was getting arrested for, since the vibe at PAX was way too good to fight (as an angry Boston native, even I didn't want to fight anyone, and that's RARE!) we figured it had to be for stealing something. Didn't know it was for a $6M something!

That was at ~4PM.

Saw him standing at the curb, in cuffs, with Boston PD and an enforcer. I assume he was waiting for transport, but didn't wait for a cruiser to show up. I would have waited and nabbed the whole thing with my flipcam if I knew it was the end of such an epic failure. Maybe even tried for an interview!

Valyrian on
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If this is the worst thing that people can talk about in regards to PAX...

I'd say it was a successful, awesome, and totally 1337 convention.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It really is amazing just how ham-fisted the whole thing was. The fact that he tried to bribe a cop only makes it more hilarious.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think my favorite part of this story comes from the other post: He posted bail and then skipped his hearing today. What is he doing currently instead of his hearing? Playing MW2.

SirCuddlez on
  • d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    think this is bad? guess you guys didn't hear about the idiot who brought an actual semi automatic gun to PAX and thought he could use it as a prop.....

d3c0y on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    d3c0y wrote: »
    think this is bad? guess you guys didn't hear about the idiot who brought an actual semi automatic gun to PAX and thought he could use it as a prop.....

WAT o_O

Pablo the Penguin on
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that is epic fail, while it was still very much in the minority, I did notice an increase of asshattery at PAX East, vs. PAX west.

Like on the expo floor, some big black dude totally smoked a skinny little Asian kid, knocked his glasses off and stuff, going for a t-shirt he had gotten one of like 30 seconds before. Instead of apologizing, he told the kid to shut up and stop being a little bitch.

On the other side of the coin, the funk was definitely less pronounced. Trade off I guess?

Lack of common courtesy, can cause issues when you get two people who aren't willing to back down and take it.

DaveRH on
  • ValyrianValyrian Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    DaveRH wrote: »
    Yeah, that is epic fail, while it was still very much in the minority, I did notice an increase of asshattery at PAX East, vs. PAX west.

Like on the expo floor, some big black dude totally smoked a skinny little Asian kid, knocked his glasses off and stuff, going for a t-shirt he had gotten one of like 30 seconds before. Instead of apologizing, he told the kid to shut up and stop being a little bitch.

On the other side of the coin, the funk was definitely less pronounced. Trade off I guess?

Lack of common courtesy, can cause issues when you get two people who aren't willing to back down and take it.

DaveRH, while there may have been more asshattery at PAX east vs prime, I can tell you that for an event in Boston, the asshattery was VERY low. I can't speak to prime, because I've never been, but PAX east was as close as you're gonna come to a Boston love-in... outside of Cambridge anyway. Damn hippies over there. :P

Valyrian on
  • 50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not about this incident... but abount an incident... what was the thing I heard about a fight on Saturday? Was it like a play fight? Or a real fight? I just overheard some stuff.

50 More Trash on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Proper response, stand up for the lil dude and tell big dude to knock it off or you'll find an enforcer who will explain what "Don't be a dick" means.

VisionOfClarity on
  • 50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For serious.

There's a chance that kid gets bullied everywhere he goes, I hope someone stuck up for him to let him know that PAX was actually one of the places where he didn't have to worry about it.

50 More Trash on
    edited March 2010
    I just have a big ass mouth so if I see someone getting messed with I can't control myself.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did anyone do anything about the kid getting laid out?

Listen, we're all nerds enjoying a nerd convention. No one should be getting bullied during this event. If someone is being a dick, toss their ass out. That is unacceptable.

However, any time you put this many people together, there are bound to be at least a handful of clowns.

I had no issues all weekend. Everyone I dealt with was nice and chill. Enforcers were helpful and nice, I had a blast. Weekend ruled minus the blisters, no sleep, and having some bad food saturday.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Molotov CupcakeMolotov Cupcake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A guy I assumed was a dev or rep for the company (now that I know it was a crime) chased this kid to the stairwell on the second floor of the show, asking "What are you trying to steal, huh?" and grabbing him, dragging him to the stairs. A security guard and Enforcer looked on, as I thought they were horsing around. The guy dragged the kid into the hall with the Enforcer and the kid was made to take out his laptop. I hung around near the trash can and I knew after the security guard tried to detain the kid, something big was going down. I never thought it would be something like this, though.

Molotov Cupcake on
  • shrapnelshrapnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty sure this is the kid who ran past us at breakneck speed on the expo floor. Kinda short, right?

shrapnel on
  • GoblinBardGoblinBard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know some people might try to defend this guy and say "He was just downloading early what he was going to download on a torrent later", but that guy disgusts me. Thefts like that only make cons have to reevaluate their security and make it tougher and tougher, which often makes things more difficult and less fun for regular, law abiding attendees. :/

GoblinBard on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good god damn.... If Id've seen that kid get knocked around on the floor, people would have thought jesus himself had touched me for how fast I'dve grabbed my cane and climbed out of my chair.

ZeroHourHero on
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, all. I'm Tango, of the Enforcers' Security Management team -- that is, the three dudes with tongue-in-cheek berets. I'm the British one, not the square-jawed one in the kilt or the tall blond all-American boy. Sorry to disappoint. ;-)

First off, the "semi automatic gun" mentioned above was actually an airsoft replica. While it was very realistic -- I had to safely remove the magazine to confirm it wasn't real when I saw it -- the attendee in question definitely wasn't crazy enough to use an actual firearm as a prop.

As for the incident that is the subject of this thread, I had the dubious pleasure of responding to that call-in. I apologize if anyone asked me a question about it during PAX only to get a polite no-comment response. This incident has now been widely reported on, but nevertheless I 'm sure you can understand the reasons for my not wishing to comment, even if it was frustrating at the time. :)

Tango on
  • LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think that was the most interesting information I've ever heard while playing a demo. I was playing a competive Diner Dash at their booth against my buddy for beer when behind me I hear someone explaining to the booth rep that theres been a hacking incident. We stopped playing and looked at each other and seriously wondered if we had just overheard industrial espionage had taken place at PAX.

It sounded cooler before we knew it was just an idiot tool who tried to wear a blackhat. Seriously dude? You tried to steal 17gigs of data...at a show...hard cabled...during someone's bathroom break?! I was imagining some sort of Otacon running thru the convention in a cyborg hacker ninja suit. Now theres some PR, your game is stolen by a cyborg ninja hacker, better get zombie pirate enforcers!

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "the stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me."

just sad some of these people are now creeping into geek circles.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    shrapnel wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is the kid who ran past us at breakneck speed on the expo floor. Kinda short, right?

yea

I saw him hauling ass .... didn't see anybody in pursuit/yelling, so I didn't drop him as I figured he was in a hurry for something or another ...

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think we can give East a little slack on this one. It STARTED as big as Prime was after several years. There was bound to be a few people who didn't know Wheaton's Law.

Not to suggest Prime is perfect, it's just had a bit more time to get things figured out.

But as said before, PAX is PAX. I wish I could have been at East, because it sounded awesome by all accounts.

eye-shuh on
  • zaxytarazaxytara Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That's awful! I'm no tiny kid, but I noticed people being a bit more brutal when it came to free swag as well. I don't like to pull the "but I'm a girl!" card often, but I totally caught one shirt and would have expected the guy behind me to lay off, but he grabbed it right after I did and tore it out of my hand. Scraping nail polish from my nail in the process. Hard core, dude.

zaxytara on
  • Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    I think we can give East a little slack on this one. It STARTED as big as Prime was after several years. There was bound to be a few people who didn't know Wheaton's Law.

Not to suggest Prime is perfect, it's just had a bit more time to get things figured out.

But as said before, PAX is PAX. I wish I could have been at East, because it sounded awesome by all accounts.

I remember at the first Pax, someone stole a console from the freeplay/tourney room and the Enforcers had to scramble to set up a bag check system as a response. So hence the current sophisticated freeplay renting system and the tourney rooms requiring you to check your bag.

Also at the first Pax, the doors never closed for the night, so there were people sleeping in the hallways instead of getting a hotel and the banners hanging from the railings got stolen.

Eyes5 on
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah PAX Prime does have issues, (like last year someone stole Antec's headcrab), but I've never really seen experienced people being ignorant to each other in Seattle.
    zaxytara wrote: »
    That's awful! I'm no tiny kid, but I noticed people being a bit more brutal when it came to free swag as well. I don't like to pull the "but I'm a girl!" card often, but I totally caught one shirt and would have expected the guy behind me to lay off, but he grabbed it right after I did and tore it out of my hand. Scraping nail polish from my nail in the process. Hard core, dude.

That reminded me... at the Zalman draw on the last day, they were throwing out t-shirts and some dude totally scooped a shirt from a girl, to the point where the guy running the booth was like "Wow dude, you just strong-armed a girl for a t-shirt, I hope your proud". You would think that would have guilted the guy into giving up the shirt, but apparently a free t-shirt was worth more than his honor.

DaveRH on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In addition to all this stuff going on, there was also an incident that happened without getting caught. A couple of guys stole multiple sumos and were selling them outside the convention center. The only way I knew about this is because I knew one of the guys. Anyways, I already talked to Khoo about that matter. I think the reason why East has been a little more hectic is because the enforcers seemed to have a lot less help from convention staff as they do at prime. For example, my girlfriend kept forgetting to wear her 3 day pass, but nobody said anything until sunday. I also saw many other people who also weren't wearing their badges.. :S

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2010
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    In addition to all this stuff going on, there was also an incident that happened without getting caught. A couple of guys stole multiple sumos and were selling them outside the convention center. The only way I knew about this is because I knew one of the guys. Anyways, I already talked to Khoo about that matter. I think the reason why East has been a little more hectic is because the enforcers seemed to have a lot less help from convention staff as they do at prime. For example, my girlfriend kept forgetting to wear her 3 day pass, but nobody said anything until sunday. I also saw many other people who also weren't wearing their badges.. :S

There are a lot more enforcers on the floor than convention center staff. The convention center staff were mostly bag check, janitorial and security. They aren't there to run the con, that's up to PA to staff and they do so with Enforcers. When you go to the Hynes they provide you with check-in staff or things like that, they can direct you to temp agencies where you can hire people for that or you can go volunteer.

VisionOfClarity on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

There are a lot more enforcers on the floor than convention center staff. The convention center staff were mostly bag check, janitorial and security. They aren't there to run the con, that's up to PA to staff and they do so with Enforcers. When you go to the Hynes they provide you with check-in staff or things like that, they can direct you to temp agencies where you can hire people for that or you can go volunteer.

I understand that, but at PAX Prime, it is the convention center staff that is in charge of checking for badges. They usually stand by the escalators and doors, and don't let people in who dont have a visible pass. I didn't see this happen at East, and even then, there was only a couple of convention staff at the bottom of the escalator.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

People in Boston are just inherently more jerky. :P

mrt144 on
  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Being a skinny little Asian guy with glasses myself. That makes me mad. I'd kick that guys ass if I saw that. (even if it means getting my own ass handed to me in the process)

Lethardicus on
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Being a skinny little Asian guy with glasses myself. That makes me mad. I'd kick that guys ass if I saw that. (even if it means getting my own ass handed to me in the process)

Next year they should host Pax in Dorchester.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »
    "the stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me."

just sad some of these people are now creeping into geek circles.

Zeno's Paradox

mrt144 on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, wow. I saw a few enforcers running really fast into the elevator I had just gotten off of, and when I asked what was up they just said, "Someone in the expo hall is stealing." Had no idea it was something like this. Crazy!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Kirby PufociaKirby Pufocia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I understand that, but at PAX Prime, it is the convention center staff that is in charge of checking for badges. They usually stand by the escalators and doors, and don't let people in who dont have a visible pass. I didn't see this happen at East, and even then, there was only a couple of convention staff at the bottom of the escalator.

I can attest to this - at East I made a point of holding my badge up for the staff to see when I went up the escalators. The ONE time (out of at least 60 - damn nicotine binges) the lady actually looked at me, she just rolled her eyes.

Notwithstanding there was nobody checking badges at the elevators on ground level, which meant that anybody savvy enough to figure out where they go (hint: to the convention) didn't even need to worry about getting their badge checked.

All things considered, though, I'm glad they didn't pay much attention because I don't recall having a single positive interaction with any of the Hynes dudes/ladies - and they certainly haven't been getting accolades from the other PAX bros posting here.

Kirby Pufocia on
    Kirby Pufocia,
    metroidmetal.com
This discussion has been closed.