As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RELEASE THE KRAKEN

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Olympus and the Gods looked like they were in an 80's rock video.

I figured this is par for all white gods

I would hi5 you if you were here right now mysst.

Blake T on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    vrst wrote: »
    3D is so stupid.

Especially when it is added in post-production.

I mean, Avatar was filmed with 3D in mind, but would it have been even worse if I had seen it in 2D? No.

Conclusion: it adds nothing but it costs more.

Actually, the 3D in Avatar made the whole thing much more visually appealing than simple 2D. 3D can certainly add something to a film. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about.

I think I am grouchy, that wasn't a nice thing for me to say.

Jigrah on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wh

what?

Langly on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i think the 3d in avatar was actually pretty great and added to the quality of the movie
    in fact it became more and more believable as i watched it rather than the other way around

in fact after watching clips of the 2d version i kind of think it made the cgi look better too

Snork on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so uh

were people excited about this movie or something?

it looked like a completely generic action adventure movie with maybe some decent effects. nothing to be all "oh man I gotta see that" about

Vann Diras on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    so uh

it looked like a completely generic action adventure movie with maybe some decent effects. nothing to be all "oh man I gotta see that" about

There is a Kraken and it is released

How are you not excited for the release of said Kraken

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "RELEASE CETUS" doesn't seem to have the same oomph as "RELEASE THE KRAKEN"

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The releasing of said Kraken is tied to a mediocre at best movie

That is why people are not excited

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Liam Neeson's glittering bedazzled armor makes me laugh in the commercials. They couldn't pay me to watch this shit.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    3D is so stupid.

Especially when it is added in post-production.

I mean, Avatar was filmed with 3D in mind, but would it have been even worse if I had seen it in 2D? No.

Conclusion: it adds nothing but it costs more.

Actually, the 3D in Avatar made the whole thing much more visually appealing than simple 2D. 3D can certainly add something to a film. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about.

Huh? I saw the film, so I know exactly what I'm talking about. I saw it in 2D, it was horrible. Then I saw it in 3D and it was still horrible.

3D doesn't make anything 'visually more appealing'. It makes it 'visually more gimmicky'.

edit: also please tell my why you are allowed to talk about 3D and I am not.

I'm no expert on 3D animation, but we have talked about it at school, and the people we talked with know about 3D.

Also, the fact that you dismiss all 3D as being gimmicky and adding nothing at all to a story is proof that you have no idea what you're talking about. If used properly, 3D can definitely add to the story, or at least a film's visuals. While Avatar's story was nothing special, for instance, the 3D made Pandora look much more impressive and believable than it did in 2D.

Similarly, in Coraline, 3D was used subtly to enhance the differences between the Other World and the regular world. Despite your own stupid, uninformed opinions on the matter, 3D is not just a gimmick.

Sure, it's a gimmick when it's all WHOOOAAAAAH IN YOUR FACE OH WOW BEES COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN AND SHIT, but it wasn't used like that in Avatar or Coraline. It was only used to create a more realistic sense of depth in Avatar to show off the alien planet more effectively, and to subtly, but effectively enhance the differences between the two worlds in which Coraline took place.

Spectre-x on
    edited April 2010
    every time I see Neeson in that embarrassing get up shouting "release the kraken" all I can think is

you ain't davy jones

Vann Diras on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah I'm with Spex on this one, vrst

it's less "you don't know what you're talking about" and more "you are making sweeping comments and over-generalizations that are based on a minute sample"

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited April 2010
    That takes much longer to type, though, and I'm tired.

Spectre-x on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    speaking of stuff that I don't quite like for movie watching, I was at Fry's the other day and I saw one of their TV displays playing star trek, and the definition was too real. it really took me out of the experience and I didn't care for it

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Liam Neeson's glittering bedazzled armor makes me laugh in the commercials. They couldn't pay me to watch this shit.

I guess they should just have kept the laser megathoughts.
    zeus_l.jpg

Darksier on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am pretty sure 3D hides a lot of flaws in CG as well because it has such good sense of depth.

Blake T on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm just glad Liam Neeson is getting all kinds of crazy roles these days

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited April 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

"These days"? He was in Darkman, man.

Spectre-x on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

"These days"? He was in Darkman, man.

Don't talk to me like I don't know about Darkman, son

But for a long time after that it seemed like he wasn't in nearly enough movies where he just got to be cool. I mean he was in Les Miserables which was a pretty great flick but then he was in The Haunting and Episode I and that wasn't great and he wasn't doing a whole lot of work

But now it's all like Batman Begins, Taken, he did a voice for that Miyazaki flick Ponyo, then he voiced your dad in Fallout 3, and now he's in Clash of the Titans and the A-Team movie

And according to Wikipedia he is going to play Abraham Lincoln next year? What? That's nuts

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't seen anything in 3D recently other than UP, I want to see avatar in 3D before it leaves the cinema but probably won't get the time

the 3D in UP was rubbish by the way

FAQ on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    so uh

Pretty sure any excitement was based on nostalgia for the Harryhausen version.

But I would rather watch that one again.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    FAQ wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything in 3D recently other than UP, I want to see avatar in 3D before it leaves the cinema but probably won't get the time

the 3D in UP was rubbish by the way

w-what

Vann Diras on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And according to Wikipedia he is going to play Abraham Lincoln next year? What? That's nuts
    That movie has been in development for years. Spielberg has had him going out everywhere to research it.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm withholding my judgement until I've seen avatar or how to train your dragon, but if you're saying UP is meant to be some kind example of 3D done right, fuck the whole thing

FAQ on
  • Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Best 3D ever was Dial M For Murder in 1954

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    U2:3D is still the best 3D I have ever seen.

And I don't even care for U2.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • nodanaonlyzuulnodanaonlyzuul Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ugh x10000

The original was fine. Stop-motion forever, bitches.

nodanaonlyzuul on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    the original film is only good because most of us watched it as kids who didn't know what the fuck, were captivated by the mythology, and look back on it with the fondness of nostalgia causing us to interpret it as delightfully corny instead of just outright bad

and that includes me, but I harbor no illusions about why I like it or that it's a solid film

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I watched part of the original on TV last weekend and it wasn't really that good

I think some of the things Harryhausen did with stop-motion were really creative and fun, but it was pretty badly acted and rather boring

Grey Ghost on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I watched part of the original on TV last weekend and it wasn't really that good

I think some of the things Harryhausen did with stop-motion were really creative and fun, but it was pretty badly acted and rather boring

Watching a Harryhausen movie for the acting is watching the movie incorrectly

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh my god, Ebert's review is amazing.

Scrum on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    U2:3D is still the best 3D I have ever seen.

And I don't even care for U2.

Thank you, I said this for like a month after it came out and no one believed me because it was U2

But then again I like U2, so yeah
    Scrum wrote: »
    Oh my god, Ebert's review is amazing.
    There's worse to come. Perseus and his comrades must invade the lair of Medusa, one of the three Gorgon girls, whose hair is a writhing mass of snakes and body is a long, lethal snake's tail. Look at her, and you'll turn to stone! Maybe this explains the high quality of Greek sculpture. The struggles with Medusa take place on ledges over a flaming lake of lava far below. She must be beheaded, which Perseus does, thoughtfully keeping the head, which he carries around like the head of Alfredo Garcia. Is that a spoiler? The story has been out since 490 B.C

Brilliant. I typically agree with Ebert and I was looking forward to seeing this anyways.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    ps RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

.ytmnd probably

http://releasethekraken.ytmnd.com

yep
    pretty shitty one though, doesn't even synch the .gif to the voice clip.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    the original film is only good because most of us watched it as kids who didn't know what the fuck, were captivated by the mythology, and look back on it with the fondness of nostalgia causing us to interpret it as delightfully corny instead of just outright bad

no you're thinking of the actual clash of the titans

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    oh snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it's funny because you're old

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    y'all should really just watch Mortal Kombat on netflix like I'm doing

it's at least 40% better than klash of the kraken, and no bullshit 3d

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I'm actually going to a midnight show of this tonight

I've found that I really love midnight shows

Grey Ghost on
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would watch Mortal Kombat in 3D

Robcham on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robcham wrote: »
    I would watch Mortal Kombat in 3D

The hallway scene with the cobwebs would be neat. They'd be coming right toward you!

I never understood why he thought Kitana went that way when he had to, you know, tear apart the cobwebs

UnbreakableVow on