As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Shining Force 2 -- Feb 2012: Imageshack is turning into shit, I know already

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Let's Play
sf2titleclear.png

About Shining Force 2...
Many years ago, when I was but a child, we had this awesome thing for the Sega Genesis called the Sega Channel. For the ignorant and unfortunate who don't know, the Sega Channel was a subscription service by a cable company in which a monthly fee brought you over 50 titles to play. It brought you those titles via a slow, slow download. But you know what? It was sweet. The titles were mixed up every month, but some managed to stick around for repeat appearances. And games with save files were wonky; the manual read as though the save files would disappear if you loaded up another game (locking you to finishing those long, long RPGs lest your data disappear). But I had experiences where the save files remained intact despite loading another game. Maybe it meant you couldn't take the Sega Channel cart out of the Genesis. Not that we ever did.

Anyhow, early in our experiences with the glorious Sega Channel was Shining Force 2. At the time, the local cable company was having an issue where some dude named Mike managed to get his save file locked in the entire Sega Channel system (we knew his name was Mike because he named the main character that). And the game wouldn't save any progress whatsoever. It'd pick up right from where Mike left off, that bastard. But it was a taste of the game. When that whole debacle was cleared up, my brother and I pushed through the game. Though on my end, I cheated. Because I was terrible at strategy games and that's pretty much followed me up to today.

Shining Force 2 follows the story of Bowie (default main character name; you could name him Mike if you REALLY wanted to), a young lad in the kingdom of Granseal. A childish ploy to enter the castle walls eventually spirals into Bowie gathering and leading an army against the forces of Zeon, one of the ancient Devil Kings sealed away in ages past.

Like the first, the game is a strategy RPG and contains many of the same elements, slightly improved. Although you gain many characters throughout the game, you can only bring 12 (including the main character) out to battle. These followers are a varying bunch - some are straight-forward warriors, others can fly, some are mages and healers, some archers, etc. Like the first game, the promotion system is in play but requires level 20 instead of level 10 and also doesn't bring the stat penalty that part one had. Part two is more colorful (literally, I remember the palette of the previous game being more... bland) and a bit more upbeat and expressive in story and characters. The scope of the game also seems a bit bigger and sinister.

To be fair to part one, it received a remake for the Gameboy Advance that did a lot to improve its story telling. Also prior to both games was Shining in the Darkness, which was a dungeon crawling RPG and was otherwise a traditional RPG in its combat aspects.

Fuckin' Shining Force, How Does It Work?!
I guess I should've explained this long ago and am now editing it into the post. If you need to understand the game mechanics precisely, read the below stuffs (not actually a spoiler). Frankly, I thought the gist of the gameplay was clear but Rent being Rent had to ask for this.
statsk.png
First I'll go over character stats. LV (level), HP, and MP should be fairly obvious. If not, go play a fucking video game. EXP works differently in this game. Every time you attain 100 EXP you gain a level up, which will grant a random number toward your stats within a certain range (all characters of all classes average 1 stat gain toward all stats, and some characters / classes will gain 2 toward a class-specific stat; this changes at promotion). EXP gains scale, so the higher your level compared to an enemy you earn less experience for attacking or killing it. As I just mentioned, the game has a promotion system, where you can advance your characters to a new class. In the above, a MAGE can promote to WZRD (Wizard), or to a SORC (Sorcerer) with a special item. What promotion does is change the character's sprite, and enhances the random-range for stat gains (going from 1 to 2, to like 2 to 4). Some promotions for specific characters will allow for spells to be learned. In the specific case above, Adus would gain a lot more MP per level up, and have some more HP, maybe some AGI and DEF. MOV can never go up with levels, but can increase for specific characters upon promotion.

ATT - This is the character's physical attack. 8 means the character will do 8 damage, with a chance to strike for a couple points less.
DEF - This is the character's resistance to physical attacks. It's point for point, so 7 DEF reduces damage taken by 7.
AGI - This affects how fast the character will act in battle, which means how soon their turn will come up in a fight. Every character and enemy will move and act once per "turn" before the cycle repeats. I think it also affects chance to avoid attacks and getting a second attack.
MOV - This is how many spaces at a time a character can move. This is before penalties. 5 means a character can move 5 spaces on the tile grid, on flat terrain. Forests, deserts, mountains, and other terrains can penalize a character's movement, reducing the range by 1 or 2 points. It's dynamic, so diverse terrains will have odd movement range patterns. MOV is somewhat further complicated by characters and enemies having not-explicitly identified movement types. There's walking, centaur, hovering, swimming, flying, and other movement types, all affected by different terrain types in their own way when it comes to moving across them.

Spells - At most, a character will learn 4 spells. Spells have their own associated levels, the highest being 4. Not all spells have multiple levels. Characters learn spells and their new ranks at set levels, it isn't randomized like stats.

Items - All characters can carry four items at a time. This includes holding their equipped weapon, knocking it down to 3 extra item slots for many characters. There is no armor to equip in the game. There are rings that can be equipped for varying effects, but rings are rare and found in specific places in the game (as in, not everyone gets a ring; not even most people get a ring).

Kills and Defeat - The game keeps track of how many enemies the character has killed and how many times the character has been defeated. This has no game effect.

Gold - You buy stuff with it, duh. But I'll use this time to note that if you lose a battle (the main character dies) you will lose half your gold. You gain gold by killing enemies.

battleq.png
The above screenshot shows a spell being selected for use, but also doubles as a diagram for what movement looks like. What you see above is a spell (Heal 3) with a range of 3; this means it can reach any tile within 3 spaces of the user. If the above were a movement situation, the character's movement range would be 3 (nobody has a MOV stat this low; but in a desert, where movement penalty applies, some characters have a MOV range of 3 and many have 2).

Some spells have an area of effect, working on the same grid. This AoE can spread out to the spaces immediately next to the central target, and some AoE spells can affect an area almost as big as the one you see in the shaded area. Whenever you're targeting someone or something to hit or use a spell on, it is targeted on that screenshot with a white blinking broken-border (lanes on the road). AoE spell ranges are identified this way.

Spells are purely friend-affecting or purely enemy-affecting. If an ally is standing in a place where Blaze 2 would hit, the ally is not damaged.

In the game, doing an action will end your turn. If you stand in the same place as you started and perform an action, you don't get to move after. When you select an action to perform, an animation will play showing some HOT EXTREME ACTION. Hope you like sprite recolors.

Although I explained this in an update already, I'll state it again: Land Effect is a bonus to the character's defense while standing on that tile. Typically, terrain types that are harder to move on will provide the bonuses. There's 0, 15, and 30 percent land bonuses. Flying characters gain no bonus no matter where the are.

There are two ways to win a battle: the most common is to kill all enemies. Some battles have leaders though, sometimes not obvious, and killing the leader will end the battle on the spot.

The LP!
Okay, so here's how this is going down - I love getting the community involved and I'm doing it twofold here. The first way is that I'm using the code that allows you to rename all playable characters. So to jazz things up a bit, all the characters will be named after forumers! The folks involved in my (unfortunately) failed Etrian Odyssey 2 LP are given a role here, to make up for that. And if I didn't pick you for one of the 30 characters, it wasn't a matter of leaving you out on purpose or anything like that. Some characters I did give very precise thought toward in naming though.

The other community involvement is character use voting. Each time I get a new character (after the initial 12 characters have joined), I'm gonna give some info on their given class / stat situation and let you guys vote on whether or not to use 'em. I don't care much for what criteria you use to cast your votes. But I learned my lesson from EO2 - the counter balance to you guys trying to screw me over, even by accident, is that I get to choose who the newcomers replace in the current lineup. I also reserve the right to veto any votes.

By the way, I'm cheating you guys out of a game with an excellent soundtrack. I'll leave it to readers to post whatever YouTubes may exist for it. It'd be more thrilling if it happened as songs would normally come up!

Starting with part 28, and retrofitted into every update, is a link to a YouTube video for any given track from the game that fits the entry best or that I have otherwise not presented. The link can be found via the Shining Force 2 logo atop every update.

Starting with part 37 I've decided to ditch the voting process as it was slow and since the hiatus and update pacing has dropped dramatically. So all decisions on party members will be made by me.

Special thanks to Shining Force Central for many images I'll end up using (but not on their bandwidth!)

Special thanks to hedgehogclan of YouTube for having the music of the game available!

The Shining Force (those chosen to fight!)
bowiepromo.gifsarah.giferic.gifjaha.gifkazin.gifsheela.gif
Henroid ~ Sollah ~ Kaseius ~ UDScots ~ Adus ~~ Campion

karna.gifpeterpromo.gifmayb.gifgerhaltpromo.gifzynk.gifrick.gif
Frostey ~ Pata ~~~ Pony ~~ RaijinQ ~ C.Tube ~ Reynlds

Update List:
Part 0 - The Intro
Part 1 - The Kingdom of Granseal
Part 2 - The Quest is Bestowed
Part 3 - Yeel is Boring
Part 4 - Galam's Villainy Emerges
Part 5 - The Escape from Galam Prison
Part 6 - Hurry to Granseal!
Part 7 - Into the Ancient Tower
Part 8 - Catastrophe! Piracy! Literacy!
Part 9 - Should've Tried Smallpox
Part 10 - Birds Are Weird
Part 11 - Diplomacy at Work
Part 12 - Double feature battles!
Part 13 - Thanks for Watching!
Part 14 - Putting the Plot into Focus
Part 15 - How to Get a Raft
Part 16 - Playing Pirates Again!
Part 17 - Death and the Desert
Part 18 - Spelunking Force
Part 19 - How to Get a Caravan
Part 20 - Dwarves, Fairies, Elves, and Orcs
Part 21 - Oddler Hears a Who
Part 22 - It's Always Something!
Part 23 - What're the Rules for Chess?
Part 24 - Honey I Shrunk the Shining Force
Part 25 - Holy Shit, it's the Villain!
Part 26 - Granseal is Still Standing
Part 27 - Pimp My Shining Force
Part 28 - How the Devil Army Conquers
Part 29 - Select the Pistol, and then, Select Your Shining Force
Part 30 - How to Set a Trap
Part 31 - Mitula and the Lack of a Good Title
Part 32 - Hope You Like Plot Advancement
Part 33 - The Liberation of Horse Nation!
Part 34 - Didn't We See This Battlefield Before?
Part 35 - Battle of the Moun
Part 36 - Futurama's Hiatus Comeback, Eat Your Heart Out
Part 37 - How to Crash an Ancient Artifact
Part 38 - Geshp Runs Away Again
Part 39 - Everyone Can Join the Shining Force!
Part 40 - Wicked Garden
Part 41 - Magic Minotaurs Are Cooler in M:TG

Character Vote Results:
ACTUAL SPOILERS BELOW (on the order of characters). As characters show up in the LP, I'll move them out of the spoiler tag and reveal their forumer name. I'll keep track of the vote counts. If any numbers are beside the character, it means their voting is over.
anibowiesdmn.gifanibowiehero.gif Henroid (the hero always stays)
anisarahprst.gifanisarahmmnk.gif Sollah (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anichesterknte.gif Rent (AUTO IN - NO VOTE) (replaced by Kaseius)
anijahawarr.gifanijahabrn.gif UDScots (Undead Scottsman) (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anikazinmage.gifanikazinsorc.gif Adus (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anisladethif.gifanisladeninj.gif EvlBdmn (EvilBadman) (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anikiwitort.gif Pikapuf (AUTO IN) (replaced by LewieP)
anipeterphnk.gifanipeterphnx.gif Pata (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
animayrngr.gifanimaybwnt.gif Pony (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anigerhaltwfmn.gifanigerhaltwfbr.gif RaijinQ (Raijin Quickfoot) (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anilukebdmn.gifanilukebdbt.gif JJ (AUTO IN - NO VOTE) (replaced by Koolegl)
anirickknte.gifanirickpgnt.gif Reynlds (Reynolds) (AUTO IN - NO VOTE)
anielricachr.gifanielricsnip.gif LewieP ( 9 to 0 )
aniericknte.gifaniericpldn.gif Kaseius ( 8 in favor ) (wins the creed vote)
anikarnaprst.gif Frostey ( 4 in favor )
anirandolfwarr.gif Khavall ( 2 in favor )
anityrinmage.gif Olivaw ( 5 in favor )
anijanetachr.gif Willeth ( 4 to 6 )
anirohdenpc.gifanirohdebrgn.gif Mordrak ( VOTE VOIDED, NO IN )
anihiginspldn.gif Mighty ( 3 to 7 )
anitayasorc.gif Pancake ( 0 to 6 )
aniskreechbdbt.gif Koolegl (TheKoolEagle) ( 2 to 4 ) (results veto'd)
anijaropgnt.gif Xenobor (Xenogears of Bore) ( 2 to 4 )
anifrayjavicr.gif JAEF ( 2 to 3 )
anigyangldt.gif USporky (Uncle Sporky) ( voting canceled; not in )
anisheelammnk.gif Campion ( takes Evlbdmn's spot )
anizynkrbt.gif C.Tube (Cardboard Tube) ( will be in, duh )
aniclaudeglm.gif Drez (doesn't get in)
anichazwiz.gif Chaz (doesn't get in)
anilemonrdbn.gif Klyka (definitely in)

BONUS CONTENT:
Rent wrote: »
set2337.png

ONE WEEK LATER

anibowiesdmn.gifWe are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. Also, we got Mythril. Lots and lots of Mythril. Can't forget that.
anisarahprst.gif*BONK*
anibowiesdmn.gifGod damn it woman will you sto-Anyways, He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings.

anibowiesdmn.gifOf my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.

anibowiesdmn.gifORDERS...UP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FAeXpuagU

typical-kotaku-reactions-1639780762.jpg-Knives_Chau_by_jjnaas.jpg-Seefullsizeimage.jpg-376775330.jpg-jg08bp.jpg-Ozy2-1.jpg-WelkinVC.jpg-s530042098_690525_5290-1.jpg

~RIP RENT 2008-2010~
Reynolds wrote: »
!
set2933.png

anirickknte.gifYesssss finally! I'll be able to fly, just like my hero!

wish.png

anirickpgnt.gifAlways, I wanna fight with you.
anirickpgnt.gifIn Shining Force with you.
anirickpgnt.gifAnd live in harmony, harmony, Rent go!

anibowiehero.gif...
anichesterknte.gif...

...okay, maybe I was a little too excited.

Henroid on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let's Play sf2titleclear.png The Intro
    intro01.png
    *bounce bounce bounce*

intro02.png
    In Dolby Digital Surround Sound™
    intro03.png
    On a dark and stormy night...

intro04.png
    Sneakery is abound!

intro05.png
    intro06.png
    anisladethif.gif Hey guys! Follow me!
    musclemini.png Alright!

intro08.png
    anisladethif.gif A treasure chest! I wonder if they're here?

intro09.png
    intro10.png
    Sweet!

intro11.png
    intro12.png
    No you fool, take it!
    musclemini.png Where on Earth are those jewels?
    anisladethif.gif I'm not sure.

intro13.png
    intro14.png
    You can't see it but they're shining!

intro15.png
    intro16.png
    kinggransealmini.png It's a stormy night.
    ministermini.png It's unusual for this time of year.
    guardmini.png Excuse me, your majesty.

intro17.png
    The king nods.
    guardmini.png Yes sire.
    ministermini.png It's stormy outside, be careful.

intro18.png
    kinggransealmini.png Hmmm...
    ministermini.png Excuse me, sire?

intro19.png
    ministermini.png Oh, a gust of wind!
    kinggransealmini.png Make sure all the doors and windows are shut!

intro20.png
    Who the hell leaves doors and windows open during a storm anyhow?

intro21.png
    intro22.png
    Put your back into it! Oh yeah...

intro23.png
    musclemini.png Yeah, right.
    musclemini.png Blast! It won't budge!

intro24.png
    intro25.png
    Slade pulls and pulls...

intro26.png
    Hey, why don't you try the power potion you silly goose?
    anisladethif.gif This time, I'll pull both of the jewels at the same time!

intro27.png
    anisladethif.gif One, two...
    INTENSE MOMENT
    anisladethif.gif THREE!

intro28.png
    musclemini.png Are you OK?

intro29.png
    musclemini.png You did it! You have the legendary jewels!
    anisladethif.gif I did?

intro30.png

SUDDENLY, THE ROOM SHAKES!

intro31.png
    anisladethif.gif We must escape from the shrine! Follow me!
    More shaking! And earthquake!

intro32.png
    Uh oh, looks like he gets left behind because of the code.

intro33.png
    Oh right, they're thieves not pirates.

intro34.png
    kinggransealmini.png Oh...The wind blew out all the candles! It's so dark. I can't see a thing.

intro35.png
    And now it's so light! SHAZAM! BAM! BIGASS LIGHTNING!

intro36.png
    Aw, you can open your eyes now king. Heeeeey, the text box got brighter!
    ministermini.png Sire, the Ancient Tower...
    kinggransealmini.png What's wrong?
    ministermini.png It's collapsing! Maybe it was struck by lightning?
    I don't think lightning makes tower sink into the ground,usually.
    kinggransealmini.png No, not lightning...

intro37.png
    guardmini.png Minister!

intro38.png
    ministermini.png What is it?
    guardmini.png The... sealed door... Ancient Tower...
    kinggransealmini.png Go on.

intro39.png
    ministermini.png That's impossible! It can't be opened!
    guardmini.png I'm sure it was closed before the lightning, but...
    ministermini.png Strange...

intro40.png
    ministermini.png Sire, I'm going to go and see what happened.
    kinggransealmini.png Be careful.

intro41.png
    intro42.png

intro43.png
    kinggransealmini.png Lightning at the Ancient Tower.
    I don't think that's that unsual.

intro44.png
    Oh sorry, that was me.

intro45.png
    So you're saying the situation is strange, then?

intro46.png
    Oh shit, he's onto you guys! Close the thread!
    kinggransealmini.png I guess it was nothing. I have to get a hold of myself.

intro47.png
    intro48.png
    kinggransealmini.png It's not my imagination! Somebody's in this room!

intro49.png
    (scream)
    kinggransealmini.png Hey! Stay away from me!

intro50.png
    intro51.png
    Quick, dodge it! Oh noooo

getdownright.png
    GET

getdownleft.png
    DOWN

gransealspin.gif
    JAPANESE GIBBERISH

intro52.png
    Aw, he danced himself out. :3
    geshp.gif kekeke!

intro53.png
    Yeah that's right, I didn't even start playing yet! PUSH START

Henroid on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God, I loved the Shining Force games.

I don't recall the backgrounds being quite that bad however.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man that intro brings back so many memories. This game WAS my childhood. Every time I think of SRPGs, this is what comes to mind.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aw hell... I was considering doing a Let's Play on this at some point. I loved this game as a kid. In my mind this game is superior to most JRPGs, partially due to nostalgia, but all in all it's a really good game.

This game was such good fun, looking forward to your LP.

Rhan9 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can always still do yours if you want. I don't think anyone here really cares about forumers doing the same LP (unless it's like, 10 of them or something).

I forgot to mention I'm gonna try and go for promotions at a later level, instead of right at 20 like I've always done. I don't think I have the patience to go to level 40 on them, might go for 30.

Henroid on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you really wanna have some fun, there's this:
    Name other characters

After selecting the name for the main character, hold [START] as you choose "End." Another name screen will pop up for another character and you get to name everyone else.
    That way we can all get in on the fun!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Someone didn't read the OP! (which technically comes after the intro)

Henroid on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I skimmed it...
    <.<
    >.>

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    You can always still do yours if you want. I don't think anyone here really cares about forumers doing the same LP (unless it's like, 10 of them or something).

I forgot to mention I'm gonna try and go for promotions at a later level, instead of right at 20 like I've always done. I don't think I have the patience to go to level 40 on them, might go for 30.

Nah, I don't really like more than one LP of the same game going on at any one time. Besides, I'm too busy to even consider anything like for several months.

Also, I wasn't quite sure from your OP if all the characters are going to be named after the forumers from the EO thread, or if it's even possible to apply here.

If we can apply, I'd like to have either the Slade or Kazin renamed after me(without the 9 at the end). Although both of those characters rely on being promoted to become useful(Kazin to sorcerer, he makes a crappy wizard. Slade had some cool weapon that only he could use after promotion, IIRC). These two practically require early promotion.

Rhan9 on
    edited April 2010
    I already picked out who would be named after whom. Very few got serious consideration. For the most part I grabbed people I recognize.

And the EO2 thing, I meant that the four people (well, five, since I never got to the bear to replace Xenogears of Bore) I used for that have each been assigned a character in this. They more or less got priority placement.

Edit - Oh I touched up the "OP" (post two). Just to give an idea on formatting in a couple sections, and more or less get some things in place (behind spoilers) for future use. I might get the first play session (which will be pre-battle stuff still) tomorrow.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    Alright. I was mostly just wondering how you were planning to do this. I would've probably picked people in the LP thread, since it seemed to work really well in Fishman's X-COM ones, but it's completely your call.

Rhan9 on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yessssss! I haven't played it in years but I still rate Shining Force 2 in my top 10 RPG's. I should really get around to playing it on the Ultimate Mega Drive Collection.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never did play Shining Force 2. When it came out, it was like, $75 which was way too much money for a teen with no job. I see that it's on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360. I'm wondering if I should pick that up, or if I should just get the version on the Virtual Console. I really should play through Shining Force 1 on the VC first, though.

SteevL on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shining Force 1 is also on the UGC, along with all the Streets of Rage games, Shining in the Darkness, and Phantasy Star 2-4. It's almost a no brainer.

Tangent: I'm finally playing SF3 on the Saturn, and it's enjoyable. Uses the same font, too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2010
    It's too bad the other episodes of Shining Force 3 didn't come to North America. Then again, I've heard clips of the "voice acting."

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    Oh by the way I played through to capture the first set, but it ended up dipping so long that I'm cutting into it, and that cut portion will be set 2. This is like an exercise in how to handle an RPG. Suffice to say, not every random NPC dialog is being included because fuck that.

Henroid on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shining Force 1 is also on the UGC, along with all the Streets of Rage games, Shining in the Darkness, and Phantasy Star 2-4. It's almost a no brainer.

Tangent: I'm finally playing SF3 on the Saturn, and it's enjoyable. Uses the same font, too.

You can unlock Phantasy Star 1 as well, so it's got the entire (actual) Phantasy Star series. And yeah, why would you buy SF1 and 2 seperately when you can get both alongside a bunch of other awesome games for a fairly low price?

I really wish Sega would pull off something crazy and release a Ultimate Saturn Collection. Sure the Saturn was a pain in the ass and emulation would be a bitch to pull off but there are some damn awesome games I'd love to play from it (like all the SF3 episodes).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I made it about halfway through Shining Force 3 on the Saturn. I even downloaded guides to get through episodes 2 and 3, but I doubt I would have had the patience for it. I'm not sure why I stopped playing SF3 because it was a lot of fun.

SteevL on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome. I loved this game. My first RPG. You better finish this Henroid.

Adus on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HEEEEEENROOOOOOOID!!!

I love you for this thread.

Phantasy Star is fantastic. The only RPG that grabbed me in the 16 bit era besides Tales of Phantasia.

Waka Laka on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mmmmm shining force, such a sexy srpg, possibly my first, it was either this or final fantasy tactics, either way good show henroid, i look forward to re-living my childhood through you

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Awesome. I loved this game. My first RPG. You better finish this Henroid.

Can't wait to see this LP Henroid. I can already taste the delicious RPG and strategy goodness. :)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ManDanceManDance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh GOD YES. My first sight of this game was on sega channel. I've never had a game grab my attention for so long, so quick. But after a month it was gone! It took three months to find a copy, but it was worth it. One of my favorite games of all time.

ManDance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shining Force 2 seemed to just make everything so much bigger compared to the first. It was tough trimming down my battle roster to just 12 characters. Even characters belonging to some of the blander classes could get crazy promoted classes with the special items.

But screw the random mithril crafting.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited April 2010
    ManDance wrote: »
    Oh GOD YES. My first sight of this game was on sega channel. I've never had a game grab my attention for so long, so quick. But after a month it was gone! It took three months to find a copy, but it was worth it. One of my favorite games of all time.

YES, hi5 for Sega Channel users! :D

Henroid on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shining Force 2 was too hard for me the first time I played it, so I used that code that let you control both your heroes and the enemies. Coolest thing ever.

Played through the whole game like that, blew my mind the way you could see all the enemies skills and stats and stuff. I never understood that the enemies and the heroes were treated the same way by the game before that.

Doing some game programming now, and looking back I think that may have been the moment where I pulled back the curtain on how games work in a way.

A virtual console/PSN release of the three volumes of Shining Force 3 translated would be magical.

redraptor on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you playing this on Super difficulty?

Also, my votes for your team
    Bowie, Kiwi, Rohde, Elric, Janet, Higins, Taya, Skreech, Jaro, Gyan, Zync, Claude
    :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shining Force has the best, most charming sprites from that era of games. I've wanted to play it ever since I saw my friend messing with it, but I never had a SEGA system.

Also you should name the main character Mike.

captaink on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SF3 does have horrible voice acting.

The actual localization seems competent, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I never found the item to turn Chester into a Pegasus Knight.

A few months back I found out I had walked past it about 10 times.

Also, I trust you'll be doing the bonus battle?

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, I loved this game. If you don't finish this one Henroid, I'll find you and beat you up. And maybe install better internet so you can finish the other one.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jaro.gif

Jaro is a pimp.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Let's Play sf2titleclear.png Part 1
    set0101.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifUgh... hey, what the...
    witchface.png Ah, you look so confused. You don't know why you're here?
    anibowiesdmn.gifWhat trickery is this?!
    witchface.png Yes, yes... I used a spell on you.
    anibowiesdmn.gifYeah? Well spell this!
    witchface.png Ha, ha. Where are you going? You can't escape from this mystery forest unless you help me.

set0102.jpg
    set0103.jpg
    set0104.jpg
    witchface.png Henroid... Nice name, huh?
    anibowiesdmn.gifBut that's my name?

set0105.jpg
    set0106.jpg
    set0107.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifGotta stop reading those novels Sir Astral has.

set0108.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifAh shucks, sorry ma.
    mommini.png Did the storm wake you up?
    anibowiesdmn.gifHey maybe that's why I had a weird dream.
    mommini.png Hurry to school! Sir Astral and Sollah must be waiting.

set0109.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifThis is what I get for cursing at mom the other day. D:

set0110.jpg
    oldmanmini.png He's such a great man, he opened a school all by himself. You must realize how lucky you are.

set0111.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifIs that why he asks me to sit on his lap often?
    ladypinkmini.png Sometimes he may badger you, but that's because he loves you.
    anibowiesdmn.gifI think that's the problem.

set0112.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifSure am!
    shopkeepmini.png Say, Sir Astral certainly is a great person. He even teaches a mischievous kid like you.
    anibowiesdmn.gif...

set0113.jpg
    set0114.jpg
    set0115.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifUm, to school!
    guardmini.png There is no school outside! Go to school!

set0116.jpg
    set0117.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifYeah, Scotts is lazy like that.

set0118.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifHey Sollah, what's new?
    anisarahprst.gif Sir Astral is in the basement, but he looks strange today.
    anibowiesdmn.gifI'll go bug him then.

set0119.jpg
    set0120.jpg
    set0121.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifUh... Sir Astral?
    sirastralmini.png Oh, morning Henroid. When did you come in? Is it time to start school? OK, I'm coming up soon.
    anibowiesdmn.gifTake your time, I'm gonna busy myself for a second.

set0122.jpg
    set0123.jpg
    set0124.jpg
    set0125.jpg
    set0126.jpg
    set0127.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifI'll have to remember this.

set0128.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifKinda slept through it.
    sirastralmini.png Did you feel something evil, or anything?
    anibowiesdmn.gif(better not tell him about weird witch-dream) Nope!
    sirastralmini.png No, nothing?! Perhaps it was just my imagination. Sorry.

set0129.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifBut he drooools. D:
    anichesterknte.gif Zzzzz... zzzzz... ... ye... yes! Oh, it's you Henroid. I thought it was Sir Astral.

set0130.jpg
    sirastralmini.png Where is Undead Scottsman? Overslept again?
    anibowiesdmn.gifanisarahprst.gifanichesterknte.gifYep.
    sirastralmini.png Oh, well. I can't wait for him. Where did I leave off yesterday?

Suddently, a voice calls out!

guardmini.png Sir Astral!

set0131.jpg
    sirastralmini.png Hm? What is it? Why are you so... ?
    guardmini.png The King has fallen down and is very ill. He is in a lot of pain!
    sirastralmini.png What?! The King? OK, I'm coming!

set0132.jpg
    set0133.jpg
    anichesterknte.gif But, I think it must be something else! He was acting so strange!

set0134.jpg
    anichesterknte.gif We can't, Sollah! We're just kids. They won't let us in.
    anisarahprst.gif Never mind that. I have a plan!

set0135.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifHeck yeah!
    anisarahprst.gif Great! Let's go right now! Hurry!
    anichesterknte.gif What? Henroid, are you going? I'm going too!

set0136.jpg
    set0137.jpg
    INTERMISSION - Time to explain junk. Pressing A at any time (or C when not next to someone)
    will bring up this menu. The option on the left, magic, has no use, right is your items menu, down
    is to search for whatever, and the up position is your team menu.

set0138.jpg
    Team menu! If you push left or right, you can get a brief breakdown of everyone'e stats.
    The sword indicates they're part of the fighting team. And if you select someone, you get details.

set0139.jpg
    Bowie is a front line fighter. Later learns Bolt spells after promotion. He has egress, which escapes from battles.

set0140.jpg
    Sollah here (Sarah) is a healer. She can also learn this damage spell called "Blast" which isn't shabby. She can promote to Vicar OR the much more useful Monk.

set0141.jpg
    Rent (Chester) is a knight, front line fighter. His class can equip lances for direct melee or spears to gain a short range attack. He gets sort of a lot of HP, but falls short with defense. He can promote to a Paladin or, with a special item, a Pegasus Knight.

set0142.jpg
    anisarahprst.gif Well, let's see... Ummm... yes, Sir Astral called us!
    guardmini.png Why?
    anisarahprst.gif We're his pupils. He left a package behind, and...
    guardmini.png You want to deliver it to him? Well... OK, go ahead.
    guardmini.png (Cough!) Be good in the castle, OK?
    anibowiesdmn.gifOh em gee, it worked!

set0143.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifanisarahprst.gifanichesterknte.gif:o

set0144.jpg
    set0145.jpg
    anichesterknte.gifAwesome!
    anisarahprst.gifBoys are weird!

set0146.jpg
    set0147.jpg
    set0148.jpg
    set0149.jpg

set0150.jpg
    blueladymini.png Boys are not allowed to come into our dressing room!!
    anisarahprst.gifYeah get out!
    blueladymini.pngYou too, brat!

set0151.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifWhy don't you go back to Jerk City? :evil:

set0152.jpg
    guardmini.png How fine the view is! I can see the eastern continent from here.
    anichesterknte.gifAlways gotta appreciate the guard doing their job!

set0153.jpg
    guardmini.png Did I arrive too early?

set0154.jpg
    princesssidemini.png Oh father! Please wake up.
    ministermini.png Sir Astral?
    sirastralmini.png Hmmm. Nothing is wrong with his body, but...
    ministermini.png He is suffering badly from something...
    sirastralmini.png Perhaps... it might be... Well?

set0155.jpg
    sirastralmini.png... !

set0156.jpg
    anichesterknte.gif Oops! Sorry, sir!
    anisarahprst.gif Well, we just followed you...
    sirastralmini.png Don't lie to me. You wanted to see the castle, didn't you?
    ministermini.png Sir Astral, who are they?
    sirastralmini.png Oh... well... (mumble)... They're my pupils...
    ministermini.png So they are. They look like good kids. You must have a special reason to have them here, right?
    sirastralmini.png Um... I didn't mean for...

set0157.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gif... it was totally Sollah's idea!

set0158.jpg
    sirastralmini.png There must be a connection between the open door and the King's sickness. I called them here to help me investigate the tower. Now, pupils. Follow me.
    anibowiesdmn.gifanisarahprst.gifanichesterknte.gifHooray!
    sirastralmini.png Don't give me any more trouble!

set0159.jpg
    anibowiesdmn.gifI'm a little young for politics but... shouldn't you know better?

set0160.jpg
    set0161.jpg
    anisarahprst.gif :evil:

Henroid on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Who the hell is Sollah?

Adus on
    edited April 2010
    A forumer?

Friend of mine I convinced to join the forum. She was part of the EO2 team.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    Normal mode? Wuss. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned I'm bad at this kind of game. :P Also voting doesn't work the way you seem to want it to so :P some more!

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    But it'd be funny!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    Last time I got stuck with a party I didn't really know how to work, I ended up slowing down in the LP updates.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    That's the beauty of my choice! It doesn't work! It's just the eleven shittiest characters plus Bowie!

Note I said funny, not fun.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png