As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seriously, live stream/broadcast panels!!!

MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
East showed me the folly of expecting to see all of the major panels as long as there was no overlap or conflicting times. In my 3 previous PAX experiences I never had such a problem with consecutive panels in the same theater, but the turnout for East was so phenomenal it was necessary to control access by clearing out between each and putting recent attendees in the back of the line.

Now, I know some of this can be solved by the community DVD effort, but I think a better immediate solution is to broadcast each panel live through a designated live stream and/or a broadcast that is shown to those waiting in line on lcd screens in those areas. Basically, taking the Keynote as an example, have monitors set up around the line up area so that those waiting outside can view and hear the keynote as well. I can imagine that with a live stream or some other mechanism online you could have PAX goers share with each other through the line the live feeds on their Smart Phones, iPod Touches, iPads, Tablets, Netbooks, etc. (provided the network is good).

I think this was suggested after Prime last year, and I concur. Is this something that could be set up officially, or is there a group of us who as fans could work on this so that experiencing panels and concerts isn't so limited to attendance or a DVD several months later? We have the technology!!! We can make this better!

Just my 2 cents.

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
MJPM on

• Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha! I suggested the same in the post PAX East survey! They had all those TVs in the venue halls, why not show some of the panels? I guess the problem would be people would stop and watch, so then stream.

I've never been to Prime but at East you missed a lot having to wait in line for a panel. At least the enforcers kept count and you didn't end up getting into a line for a full panel.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eh it might work but the connections get raped so hard allocating the bandwidth might be hard. I think that simply having a more concerted community dvd effort would make things better. The dvd crew are great but i think if we could get some access to to audio from the panels and get some flip HD or kodak Zi8's in the rooms that just stay there would help out big time.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would bet there's a way to hardwire it and show it in the Queue room, at least if East was back at the Hynes. Even if it was on a delay, it's not like the queue room is used for much otherwise while the big panels are going on. I can only think of one time Friday it might've been an issue.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This has been discussed a lot, I would hope it's only a matter of time before it happens. I've toyed around with the idea of online live streaming for those who can't make it to PAX and want to see things as they happen, but it will probably be a long time before we can do that.

I would love to see this happen though. They should at least be able to do this for the main theater concerts and panels as it's already being filmed and displayed on the big screens. They should just be able to output to another display outside the room. Hopefully this idea can see the light of day soon.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    This has been discussed a lot, I would hope it's only a matter of time before it happens. I've toyed around with the idea of online live streaming for those who can't make it to PAX and want to see things as they happen, but it will probably be a long time before we can do that.

I would love to see this happen though. They should at least be able to do this for the main theater concerts and panels as it's already being filmed and displayed on the big screens. They should just be able to output to another display outside the room. Hopefully this idea can see the light of day soon.

That was my thought exactly. Even if it's just back to the queue room. I can't imagine the fire laws would disallow people standing/sitting there watching it if they were allowed to stand/sit there waiting for hours, particularly since the East queue room had a screen and sound system already in place. Just a matter of switching the feed, I would think.

gilby123 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seriously, this has been a request pretty much every year, and the need has become more and more pressing every year. It's gotten to the point where I look at the schedule and go "Well, that's the one panel I really want to see today, so I guess the 1-2 hours before it are taken up, so much for anything going on then."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Online streaming would be amazing!
    I don't think I'm going to make it to PAX Prime (on account of being a cash strapped college student)
    But, having online streaming panels would make everything better :)

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a nice idea, and I'm certainly sympathetic to people who hate standing in lines, but logistically broadcasting/streaming/simulcasting a panel somewhere else in the convention center creates more nightmares than it would solve. Consider:

1) The whole reason we're proposing such an idea is because there are too many people for the theaters to hold. If we broadcast that extremely popular thing on a screen just outside the theater, in the queue room, or somewhere else, that area would immediately become packed with people, maybe even more than the theater itself.

2) The areas outside the theaters are not equipped to deal with crowds; there are no chairs, and frequently these areas are corridors and other such places where traffic must flow.

3) A giant, disorganized crowd forming around a big screen would be a nightmare to deal with, even more so than a line. At least in a line there's some semblance of order and direction. A line can be moved down a hallway, compressed against a wall, and broken into pieces. A crowd all gathered around a screen would more than likely present many or all of the problems a long line does, but it would be much more difficult to manage.

4) Broadcasting/streaming the event in another theater might work. In essence, this is simply adding more seats to the original theater, in a controlled and similar environment. However, as we've seen in the past, PAX does not have an excess of theater space. All the theaters are full with panels and stuff all day long every day, and every year those panels become more popular. The panels in the satellite theaters at PAX East were almost always full to capacity, all weekend. So there are no empty theaters or empty spaces that we could use for this.

5) There is simply no place in either convention center, the WSCTC or the Hynes (though East isn't going to be there next year), that isn't being used for something during PAX. Almost without exception, the whole convention center is being used the whole weekend.

As much as I hate to say it, especially considering I managed lines all weekend at PAX East, the lines are probably here to stay.

Now, online streaming... there might be some value in that.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only group of people that would benefit from online streaming are the people who elected not to go to PAX. Anyone who wants to watch the panels within the convention center over the internet will have a tough time doing so considering the constant saturation of the 2.4 GHz band. This would leave only people with mobile broadband access. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's hard to justify.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    The only group of people that would benefit from online streaming are the people who elected not to go to PAX. Anyone who wants to watch the panels within the convention center over the internet will have a tough time doing so considering the constant saturation of the 2.4 GHz band. This would leave only people with mobile broadband access. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's hard to justify.

I think he means to put up streamed screens that are connected to the panel in the likely event said panel gets full...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arco has a good point. There would pretty much have to be a separate theater very close to the main theater that would be dedicated to housing people to watch a live broadcast should the main theater fill up.

Live online streaming isn't that bad though. I've watched many events from conventions live streamed and done very well. If we had the right equipment and everything, I don't imagine it would be hard to do. It would likely only be done with whatever goes on in the main theater, but I know people that can't make it to PAX would enjoy and appreciate it.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, I'm not quite sure I follow why the queue room itself can't be used for streaming. Given it's only used for Main Theater events that I saw and we're talking about Main Theater events being streamed, it seems like a win-win. You're using space that would otherwise be unused at that point and people who got into line late can still see the show. I know it will likely lead to further cries for Sumo's in the queue room, but at least it will allow more folks to see the big events.

gilby123 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Queue room could work. I know of excess Sumo's being "given away" after some PAX's and even seeing large piles of them in "dark corners", so I could see some of these excess Sumo's being used for this.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
This discussion has been closed.