As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DPM Fierce [chat]

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Night, Cass.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god I am so dehydrated this morning

I can barely type and it feels like someone split my skull open

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Swallowing a whole a bottle of most drugs will work. Aspirin and Paracetamol get used a lot because they're so easy to get.

I assume sleeping pills would be a nice way to go. Sleep is pretty great.

One time I accidentally took a couple more sleeping pills than I was supposed to (must have forgotten I had already taken a couple) and wound up in this really weird state where I was so completely beyond drowsy---so much so that I couldn't sleep at all.

I'm imagining that taking a whole bottle would induce similarly fucked up results but on a larger scale.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    is it normal to get nauseous kind of quickly with alcohol

I didn't get drunk the other night because just as I was starting to get buzzed I was all afraid of puking

the same sort of thing happened the last time I drank

do you go long periods without drinking? it can kind of mess with you the first time you come back to it after a long hiatus.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I didn't get drunk the other night because just as I was starting to get buzzed I was all afraid of puking

do you go long periods without drinking? it can kind of mess with you the first time you come back to it after a long hiatus.
    the last time was like a year ago, yeah

Elendil on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Depends on the person. Also certain foods, or lack of food, can make you feel queasy once you start drinking.

DeShadowC on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Why does it matter what I like to hear about?

Well I assume that you are a living, breathing person with a history who has a reason to not swallow the whole bottle of aspirin.

I'd like to know what things interest you, since philosophy is demonstrably not one of them.

Why, exactly, would you like to know?

I mean, there are a whole host of things that interest me, but why exactly should I enumerate them for you?

I'm sorry.

I thought I was on a social message board.

I'd presume that describing my posts on said social message board as "sophomoric blabbering" would undercut your desire to hear more of said blabbering, hence my skepticism.

Lawndart on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Hey Will. Would explaining to people in this thread how to use a proxy since their ISP sucks be against the rules?

not really my forum so i have no idea

if it's about piracy or getting around the forum ip filter then it's probably against the rules

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

you acclimate to it with experience

also depends on what you''re drinking; crappy beer makes me want to vomit pretty quickly

Senjutsu on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Is killing myself really as easy as swallowing a whole bottle of aspirin?

Does it hurt?

I don't think it's impossible to die from that. But it's highly unlikely.

It is likely to cause some pretty nasty shit to happen though.

It's a slim chance. Around ~3% or so. Mostly it just makes you wish you died and in theory the liver damage will kill you eventually. It's an amazingly stupid way to go. Is this wish brought up by an urge to remove yourself from the world, or just idle speculation?

I don't want to kill myself right now, but there have been times I considered, but kind of passed it off as impossible to do in a way that I find reasonably un-shitty.

Silas Brown on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Most of my strong reactions to human appearance is in direct reaction to the behavior of the people I have encountered or been made aware of who have that appearance. TV did not make me feel uncomfortable around fat people with curly hair, the fat people and curly-haired people I grew up with just happened to be people that any healthy person would be uncomfortable around, with no exceptions presented.

I was really upset when the one girl in my class that I liked got a perm. :(

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2010

Also depends on what you're drinking and how much you've eaten before. Beer goes does easy for me but liquor tends to stir my stomach a bit.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Res wrote: »

Give yourself a saline IV.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Does it hurt?

It's a slim chance. Around ~3% or so. Mostly it just makes you wish you died and in theory the liver damage will kill you eventually. It's an amazingly stupid way to go. Is this wish brought up by an urge to remove yourself from the world, or just idle speculation?

I don't want to kill myself right now, but there have been times I considered, but kind of passed it off as impossible to do in a way that I find reasonably un-shitty.

Good, I'd rather you not die.

Thomamelas on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    _J_ on
    edited April 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Most of my strong reactions to human appearance is in direct reaction to the behavior of the people I have encountered or been made aware of who have that appearance. TV did not make me feel uncomfortable around fat people with curly hair, the fat people and curly-haired people I grew up with just happened to be people that any healthy person would be uncomfortable around, with no exceptions presented.

I was really upset when the one girl in my class that I liked got a perm. :(

Yeah, dude, I know what you mean. The black people I grew up with just happened to be people any healthy person would be uncomfortable around. A real bind, I can assure you. :lol:

Silas Brown on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

A lot of it is mental. If you're unaccustomed to the feeling of being drunk, you'll tend to dwell on sensations of discomfort which will greatly potentiate them. The solution?

Let's positive thinking!

TL DR on
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Hey Will. Would explaining to people in this thread how to use a proxy since their ISP sucks be against the rules?

not really my forum so i have no idea

if it's about piracy or getting around the forum ip filter then it's probably against the rules

People with Verizon in Oregon are having trouble surfing the net due to a hop on an AT&T server in California being borked. Note almost every month a hop on the west coast on AT&T's server goes down causing issues on the net. I hated those calls.

DeShadowC on
    edited April 2010

Does it hurt?

You're a good man, Thom.

Silas Brown on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

A lot of it is mental. If you're unaccustomed to the feeling of being drunk, you'll tend to dwell on sensations of discomfort which will greatly potentiate them. The solution?

Let's positive thinking!

*slow clap*

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010

you need to start out slowly, mind your limits, and try to enjoy the experience without overindulging

drink whatever that native shit you have from brazil. cachaca and pisco and whatever else.

maybe you can school me on how to enjoy that stuff properly

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i suppose

oh well

goo'night, [chat]

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited April 2010

Let's positive thinking!

I prefer Let's positive drinking!

Silas Brown on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Does it hurt?

You're a good man, Thom.

Not really. But I try.

Thomamelas on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    So, friends' general reaction to me dating Girl: "... you guys weren't dating?"

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2010

Also depends on what you're drinking and how much you've eaten before. Beer goes does easy for me but liquor tends to stir my stomach a bit.

I have the opposite problem. I can drink large amounts of liquor all night and have no problems, but two beers and I'll be queasy in no time.

DeShadowC on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, dude, I know what you mean. The black people I grew up with just happened to be people any healthy person would be uncomfortable around. A real bind, I can assure you. :lol:

Said people, being almost entirely my family members (my dad's curly hair is why I will get noticeably annoyed when someone points out that I have curls), are probably why I feel more comfortable around black people than white people. :P

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Swallowing a whole a bottle of most drugs will work. Aspirin and Paracetamol get used a lot because they're so easy to get.

I assume sleeping pills would be a nice way to go. Sleep is pretty great.

One time I accidentally took a couple more sleeping pills than I was supposed to (must have forgotten I had already taken a couple) and wound up in this really weird state where I was so completely beyond drowsy---so much so that I couldn't sleep at all.

I'm imagining that taking a whole bottle would induce similarly fucked up results but on a larger scale.

was it like benadryl or tylenol PM?

because that stuff aren't really sleeping pills in the classic narcotic sense. they just dry out your eyes so you feel sleepy for the most part

but too much of them can kind of fuck you up in really lame ways. like making it so you can't pee for a day or two

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide if my stomach hurts because of anxiety or hunger. The solution to one of these problems potentiates the other, but curiously diminishes the original symptom.

TL DR on
    edited April 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Said people, being almost entirely my family members (my dad's curly hair is why I will get noticeably annoyed when someone points out that I have curls), are probably why I feel more comfortable around black people than white people. :P

It's funny how this works. I kind of want to not be like my family at all. Sometimes I catch myself doing something like my dad, and I'll just get nauseous about it, even if it's a seemingly harmless or positive trait.

Silas Brown on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I remember consciousness explained to be book-burning bad, but I breezed through that. His dismissal of qualia was really terrible. It would be like if I wanted to argue for a Heideggerian ontological/ontical divide and said "the I isn't made out of matter, so clearly we must be non-physical ontological beings!"

It's terrible, terrible philosophy.

I've never read Consciousness Explained. You should pick up Freedom Evolves.

Actually, I've read Elbow Room, which is his actual philosophical arguments for his free will stance.

It was very, very, very poor philosophy.

I'm not sure how it differs from Freedom Evolves in specifics, but it was also published in 1984, whereas Freedom Evolves was published in 2003. I don't know if his arguments have changed, but it's more recent.

Man, I just realized how much more important that is to a scientist than it is to a philosopher.

Winky on
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide if my stomach hurts because of anxiety or hunger. The solution to one of these problems potentiates the other, but curiously diminishes the original symptom.

The obvious solution is Ben & Jerry's.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    drink whatever that native shit you have from brazil. cachaca and pisco and whatever else.

maybe you can school me on how to enjoy that stuff properly

:D

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think my desire for a trim quote tree obfuscated my point. I was responding more to everything you have said so far - which I think does lead to that. I think if a person - Will, or whomever - doesn't enjoy witnessing or partaking in a certain act, it does not follow that he is reinforcing his dominance over a subjugated class. Equating distaste with oppression strikes me as incredibly convenient.

If I said that I can't stand the sight of two men kissing, and that such a thing disgusts me, even though the sight of a man and a woman kissing does not disgust me in any way, would you find it absurd to surmise homophobia?
    As for the sentence I quoted, though, that is problematic in its own way! You seem to be saying that people either enjoy behaviors or they don't, and their enjoyment is predicated on no other preconditions. "I like steak" doesn't mean "I like steak when I'm full" or "I like steak when the dude serving it has flies buzzing around him."

Again, we're talking about an entire class of people. The analogy "I like steak when I'm full" doesn't exactly apply, because then I recognize that my response to a stimulus is based on my mindset. (Which, by the way, is a pretty clear corollary of what I'm arguing here.) The latter analogy, ""I like steak when the dude serving it has flies buzzing around him." is a little bit closer, but in this case I think it wouldn't be considered offensive at all to state "People who have flies buzzing around them are repulsive."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Taranis wrote: »

I absolutely can not, I am terrified of needles.

I am seriously considering setting one up and getting the dude next door to give it to me

One time he gave a guy an IV while they were both drunk off their asses. It was pretty awesome.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010

I have the opposite problem. I can drink large amounts of liquor all night and have no problems, but two beers and I'll be queasy in no time.

I just love beer because all beer goes together.

But with liquor, especially if you have a somewhat sensitive stomach like mine, you have to think about what's in each drink you have before your next drink.

I'd love to be more adventurous in my drinking but the results are rarely good when I do so.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Taranis wrote: »

I absolutely can not, I am terrified of needles.

I am seriously considering setting one up and getting the dude next door to give it to me

One time he gave a guy an IV while they were both drunk off their asses. It was pretty awesome.

I find this funny coming from a combat medic.

DeShadowC on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    Kissing dudes is pretty gross. I mean, if you tongue.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    i feel fucking awful

Organichu on
    edited April 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    So, friends' general reaction to me dating Girl: "... you guys weren't dating?"

is this the girl in the photos the other day?

she was cute. you guys seemed to be having fun

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.