As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warioware DIY: aka Mario Paint for the DS generation

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cravipat wrote: »
    Boognish wrote: »
    Fear Tapper

That looks amazing. I've added your FC. Mine is in my sig.

I've also added my first game for anyone else that wants it. It's based of the PA strip The Unhorse and is exactly what you would expect.

24w6i3q.png

That is the most wonderful thing you have created.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fear Tapper

That looks amazing. I've added your FC. Mine is in my sig.

I've also added my first game for anyone else that wants it. It's based of the PA strip The Unhorse and is exactly what you would expect.

24w6i3q.png

That is the most wonderful thing you have created.

I'm crying tears of laughter!

RockinX on
  • ayersrjayersrj Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A quick way to alleviate this is to have their trigger times overlap. For example object 1 could go between 1-1 and 4-1 object two from 2-1 to 5-1 or something along those lines. That way you'll never have all of them go exactly at once and it's rare they go out bunched together.

Looking forward to trying the game out!

• It's near impossible to win when all four zombies random at the same time.

ayersrj on
    WarioWareDIY FC - Ron - 0990-4234-4719
    LetsGoTech.png
  • BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was my first plan, but then it was too predictable when the windows were separate. And while rare that the randoms would happen simultaneously, it was inevitable when played twenty+ times in a row. I settled for an object that its sole purpose was to make a 50/50 random chance. Then using that with a few mixes of random time windows, I think I've eliminated the chance that all four will trigger at the same time while still keeping it unpredictable.

I do think my most recent update made it too difficult. Let me know what you guys think. So far, I can only live until the mid 20s, and only late teens on the Wii.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Look at me, I'm a critic person.

LightningRod

I liked this game a lot. It reminded me of dealing with the last enemy in Space Invaders. (You were shooting where I was instead of shooting where I was going to be.) If you wanted to make it a bit easier, slowing down the cloud or even keeping it in one place might help. I kind of like it as it is.

I did see some room for improvement in the animations though. Hopefully you don't mind but I made a few changes. It's in my warehouse now if you want to take a look. Let me know when you have a copy and I'll take it down.

FANTA

This one is interesting but way too hard. The fireworks are very small and fast. Maybe I have bad reflexes but I couldn't break 10 points. I may play around with this one as well but I think some kind of indication of where the fireworks will launch from may help. It would also be nice if the firework explosions were a bit bigger.

Fear Tapper

This is probably my favorite so far. It is kinda hard though. I think my best score was 19 so far. One change that may make it easier and more like the original game is to give the zombies a stop and go motion. Alternate between an animation cycle where they are moving and a cycle where they are stopped. I'm not sure if you have any room for that AI though.

I do have a comment about the last seconds of the game
    Is it me or does a super fast zombie sometimes appear at the bottom counter just before the game ends. I was hoping something cool would happen if I shot him but he never showed up when I was prepared for him. When he did show up I always got that "oh crap, I'm gonna die" feeling because I was busy with the other zombies.

In other news I've added my first comic to my warehouse. I apologize in advance for unleashing Officer Dong on the world.

cravipat on
    nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the comments! I'll check out the updates later on today. LightningROD was the first and took a few hours

FANTA was the second and I ripped it off pretty quickly. My graphics and animation skills aren't superb by any means. I wanted to do more elaborate fireworks, but it required a lot of pixel space unless say I went down to two shells.

I like the idea of identifying where the shells will launch from.

ayersrj on
    LetsGoTech.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am really interested in this.

I am curious for those who have it. I watched the giant bomb thing and that was cool, but can you scale the difficulty? My mind is brought to things like Wario Ware Wii, where higher difficulities might add slight things. Like, one of the games is where you have to pick up a cell phone. On harder difficulities, you have to press "talk".

So, for instance, could that the "select the pistol" Unhorse game above have a higher difficulty mode where you then have to select your horse after the pistol?

Or would that have to be a separate game mixed into the selection machine thingy?

Corp.Shephard on
    edited April 2010
    ayersrj wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments! I'll check out the updates later on today. LightningROD was the first and took a few hours

FANTA was the second and I ripped it off pretty quickly. My graphics and animation skills aren't superb by any means. I wanted to do more elaborate fireworks, but it required a lot of pixel space unless say I went down to two shells.

I like the idea of identifying where the shells will launch from.

Now that I've opened the game, I can see you don't have many points left.

One thing you could do to reclaim some would be to separate the shells from the explosions. Shell AI: On shell tap, turn on shell switch. Explosion AI: On shell switch turn on, swap explosion and shell art.

Doing this you could use the smallest art for the shells, meaning they would only cost 3 points instead of the 27 they are using now and freeing 24 points per firework.

You could also set it up so that the explosion art is on a lower layer. That would allow bigger explosions without them blocking the shells from being clicked.

I also noticed a problem with the cheering trigger, once I played the game super slow and managed to hit all three shells. The beginning of the cheer sound is continuously looping. I think I managed to fix it so if you need a hand let me know.

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    I am really interested in this.

I am curious for those who have it. I watched the giant bomb thing and that was cool, but can you scale the difficulty? My mind is brought to things like Wario Ware Wii, where higher difficulities might add slight things. Like, one of the games is where you have to pick up a cell phone. On harder difficulities, you have to press "talk".

So, for instance, could that the "select the pistol" Unhorse game above have a higher difficulty mode where you then have to select your horse after the pistol?

Or would that have to be a separate game mixed into the selection machine thingy?

Unfortunately there is only one difficulty, rather than the three difficulty steps a normal WarioWare game would have.

You can fake it though if you use enough randomness. One of the built in games has a foot that you click to crush cans as they scroll by. Sometime it is a cactus instead, which you don't want to step on.

Also, there is more to the unhorse game than the screenshot implies :)

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    I will download everyone's changes after work today. Someday the DS will feature proper WPA support so I can actually use the Wi-Fi in office. I appreciate you guys taking a look!

Was anyone else really disappointed in the 2D Boy MicroGame they released yesterday?

ayersrj on
    LetsGoTech.png
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will download everyone's changes after work today. Someday the DS will feature proper WPA support so I can actually use the Wi-Fi in office. I appreciate you guys taking a look!

Was anyone else really disappointed in the 2D Boy MicroGame they released yesterday?

Yeah that was a bit lame.

Regarding higher difficulty modes, one way you can kind of do this is to just make a few copies of a game and put them in the same shelf. If the games look the same but have slightly different winning objectives, that will at least make the overall difficulty harder (although you can't get a difficulty progression using this mode).

ikillkenny on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OK I got the effect of the conveyor moving how I think it should look, but it uses up all my points (1 left)
    -sitting in my warehouse, I'm curious if there's another way to pull it off to free up points (large cells take up lots)-
    Friend Code in sig

The pixel one "Ikachan" is really neat, the clams and ikachans change location each time its played, possibly the order the clams open as well.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited April 2010
    ikillkenny wrote: »

Yeah that was a bit lame.

The great part about this game is that as long as the microgame isn't locked you can import it and try to improve it. I should have Tower of Goo done in a day or two.

Rubycat, I've added you and I'll take a look at your game once it shows up.

I wouldn't mind the FCs so much if they worked a bit better. It seems like even after you both enter codes you need to both connect to the WFC again in order to share things.

cravipat on
    edited April 2010

Fear Tapper

This is probably my favorite so far. It is kinda hard though. I think my best score was 19 so far. One change that may make it easier and more like the original game is to give the zombies a stop and go motion. Alternate between an animation cycle where they are moving and a cycle where they are stopped. I'm not sure if you have any room for that AI though.

I do have a comment about the last seconds of the game
    Is it me or does a super fast zombie sometimes appear at the bottom counter just before the game ends. I was hoping something cool would happen if I shot him but he never showed up when I was prepared for him. When he did show up I always got that "oh crap, I'm gonna die" feeling because I was busy with the other zombies.

Thanks for the comments! I did have the zombies pause when walking, sort of shambling-like, but it was the first that had to go when I ran out of triggers. If I had more objects, I could use ikillkenny's duplicate idea again, but I just don't have the room. I'll keep thinking about it, though. They would be easier to shoot, but then I could increase their frequency.

The easy way to adjust difficulty is giving the player more breathing room between attacks. However, it's tricky finding the difficulty sweet spot. I want it to be tense, but not impossible.

As for the spoiler:
    The speedy zombie will never kill you. I just meant it as a scare right before time runs out. The game does notice if you manage to completely clear the screen when time is up and you will get a little cheer for your troubles. Although, this was made more difficult after removing the bullets. Before, you could send a bullet early and sometimes catch them when they spawned.

Boognish on
    edited April 2010
    Grabbed the enhancement to LightningRod! Nice extra animation!

Fear Tapper is awesome. Not sure how you're going to beat that.

Added Rubycat to my FC list.

Not sure if you guys saw but Nintendo is having a microgame contest. Might be worth pooling resources to get someone in with a kick-ass entry that meets the requirements.

ayersrj on
    LetsGoTech.png
    edited April 2010
    Grabbed the enhancement to LightningRod! Nice extra animation!

Thanks. I think I'm having more fun grabbing other people's games and tweaking them than making my own.

Rubycat, I think I've solved your problem with the conveyor. My solution is in my warehouse. You'll want to play around with the tread spacing as they they get bunched up in their current placement. I also didn't wire them to the switch so they are moving by default.

I also put out a new version of The Unhorse. I've changed the length to short and there is one other surprise.

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    That's really interesting, I tried using single treads with no animation cells that traveled in a direction before my current method. Man was I doing it all wrong.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish I'd realised that this came out when it did. I would have bought it for the plane home from PAX. Now I have to wait until the end of the month, which is terrible.

But also my DS doesn't support WPA so I need to time to dig out that wifi dongle thing anyway.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2010
    I'm hoping everyone stopped posting because they are hard at work on more games. I've added a new game, Mail Room, to my warehouse. It's likely to be my contest entry but I would appreciate any feedback.

I spent longer on it that I'd care to admit. Most of the time was spent tweaking the difficulty. I think it's just right but I know how it works. I'm curious how good other people are at it.

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    Ill check it out tonight..
    -Ive been playing with game ideas and failing at making records.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    I made a Moon Patrol clone and am working on clones of Missile Command and Guitar Hero at the moment. I'll post them at some point.

ikillkenny on
    edited April 2010
    In an effort to earn some of the medals and unlock more records I've been writing more comics. I'll probably be adding them to my warehouse on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule if anyone is interested. The quality is about the same as the built in comics.

Did anyone else make an entry for the Machine contest? I'm curious what other people may have come up with.

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    I added a version of RC Pro-Am into my warehouse that I had done for the Kotaku contest. I also saw a version of Fear Tapper was submitted! Good luck! (Hopefully it was yours and not ripped off..)

ayersrj on
    LetsGoTech.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did anyone else here make a game for Kotaku's contest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6bteZ0Dcs8

I tried to give it some actual gameplay, where you have only a short time after the post is written before the game ends, to click Post Reply. If you click it too early, you post a totally incoherent reply. Silly goose.
    if you like it you can vote for it here: http://kotaku.com/5520269/the-best-kotaku-warioware-games-youll-ever-play
    this is in a spoiler because self-promoting in a spoiler makes me less of a goose

Edit: Hey I totally missed the post right above mine.

Also, vote every day.

mntorankusu on
    edited April 2010
    I added a version of RC Pro-Am into my warehouse that I had done for the Kotaku contest. I also saw a version of Fear Tapper was submitted! Good luck! (Hopefully it was yours and not ripped off..)

Yeah, that was mine. I tried to make it a little geekier for the contest. The only real gameplay change was the Polar Bear from LOST takes two shots to put down.

With 95 entries, I don't think mine stands a chance. It's made worse with the small YouTube making it difficult to make out the sprites. I needed a large Crecente popping up since that seems to be what everyone else wants to see.

Boognish on
    edited April 2010
    As a follow up to The Unhorse, I offer another unoriginal idea, CO: SotO. You might remember it better as Crane Operator: Shadow of the Operator

t9h8hk.png

cravipat on
    edited April 2010
    I actually think all of the Crecente clones is going to split up the vote. I did like the one some guy posted of unboxing a promo item. I thought that was just well designed all around.

I think this weekend, I'll obsess over Warioware a little more. Lately I've been playing Picross again, especially since there's a bazillion downloadable levels... Maybe that's the next game idea..

ayersrj on
    LetsGoTech.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I got this, and it's great, but I was outraged to find that the allowances for Wi-Fi within the game are more stringent than what the rest of the DS uses; now I can't use the wireless network I have access to. :| Still, I can probably find a public place or cafe to use, so not exactly the end of the world.

I have one question for you guys: I'm just getting started, basically, how do you set up games that have... variances in their structure? (Sorry, that probably doesn't make any sense... Take the game where Wario is standing on the left, for example, and the shark car rolls in from the right - sometimes it jumps, sometimes it doesn't. How do you set that sort of thing up?)

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I have one question for you guys: I'm just getting started, basically, how do you set up games that have... variances in their structure? (Sorry, that probably doesn't make any sense... Take the game where Wario is standing on the left, for example, and the shark car rolls in from the right - sometimes it jumps, sometimes it doesn't. How do you set that sort of thing up?)

Switches, basically.

There's a good Assembly Dojo that explains how to use switches in a randomizer fashion.

For a 50-50 chance, you'd have two triggers.

When time 1-1 is hit

AND

When a random time between 1-1 and 1-2 is hit.

And then you'd have a switch on something turn on if 1-1 *was* hit, and stay off if it wasn't.

When it gets to a certain point, you'd check to see if the switch is on, and have the car move accordingly.

-To make the car "jump", there's a black box hiding off in the border that the car moves at a angle up towards.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finally Europe gets this! Picked up the Wii-Ware companion as well which seems to be more of the same good stuff.

Will dig out my code and get friending people shortly so I can try your stuff.

Has the first contest closed for America? I assume you got the 'Mario' theme same as us. If so, how many winning entries do you get to download? If it's just the one then that's not so impressive but if it's effectively a whole new game mix that'll be awesome.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    Finally Europe gets this! Picked up the Wii-Ware companion as well which seems to be more of the same good stuff.

Will dig out my code and get friending people shortly so I can try your stuff.

Has the first contest closed for America? I assume you got the 'Mario' theme same as us. If so, how many winning entries do you get to download? If it's just the one then that's not so impressive but if it's effectively a whole new game mix that'll be awesome.

The first contest for America was 'machines' and the results have just been posted. 48 winning entries are out there for download. I'm not sure if future contests will have than many winners or if it depends on number of entries. The 'winners' are hit and miss when it comes to quality. My entry, Mail Room, made it to the list of winners though.

I'm a bit disappointed that things here died so quickly. I've actually been following the GameFAQ board instead. The only good thing that came from that was someone creating a wiki to allow people to easily catalog and display the things they have made so far. It's at http://diy-wikihouse.wikispaces.com/ in case any one else is interested.

cravipat on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My friend actually made a couple really good games on here. One of dragonball, and another of the 2008 weight lifting competition thing.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited May 2010
    Must get around to harvesting up friend codes and checking out the work of you guys (blame Monster Hunter for releasing at the same time and stealing my life). I failed to get my idea down in time for the first EU contest theme of 'Mario' due to over worrying about art (What the hell was I thinking? It's freaking WarioWare! Get a humorously bad doodle down and run with it) and trying to include too many random factors for the game's brain/my brain to handle. Still had good fun futzing around for hours even if I never finished my Mario meets Monkey Island point and click adventure.

Still looking forward to getting the results if we get as huge a pool of entries as mentioned by cravipat above. That's like a whole new Warioware level every 2 weeks! Sweet by any account.

Theme two is also pretty awesome and I'm determined to lower my sights to manageable levels and get something done for it. How could you pass up on the theme of 'Clash of the Titans: Sharks Vs Dinosaurs'?

Also the Nintendo themed game mix on the WiiWare companion program is worth the price of entry alone.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    Right, I've harvested the meagre 4 codes I can find in the thread and put them in the OP.

Please to be adding me! And more codes please. More people must own this and I want to try your games no matter how crappy you think they are.

I've put my entry for 'Sharks Vs Dinos!' in my crate. An homage to a classic microgame with a twist. Just need to put in the Dino art over Wario and I'm done. Feedback much appreciated!

I also have the Wii game if anyone else does and wants to swap Wii codes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    I also have the Wii game if anyone else does and wants to swap Wii codes.

I'll have to remember to dig up my Wii code. I grabbed Showcase mostly for the extra storage but it's also pretty handy for sending specific games to someone. The fact that you can copy the save file to an SD card is probably the best reason for getting it. I wanted to be able to save the contest winners since they are only available for a limited time but 48 games eats up a lot of shelf space.

The results of the second NA contest, sports, are also up. It's another batch of 48 winners. I somehow managed to make the cut again. Now if only there was an actual prize.

cravipat on
    edited May 2010
    Your themes suck in comparison :P

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    Your themes suck in comparison :P

I know. Machines, Sports, Creatures, and Auto Generated Title.

When your contest is over you'll have 48 games of awesome.
    I've put my entry for 'Sharks Vs Dinos!' in my crate. An homage to a classic microgame with a twist. Just need to put in the Dino art over Wario and I'm done. Feedback much appreciated!

Now that I can get to your crate I did have one comment. When you do block the shark you freeze the screen, which is an effect normally used when a game is lost. It did confuse me at first if I has done the right thing. Just something to consider.

Also even though it is a probably a throw away game destined to eventually be deleted I couldn't help but laugh the first time I tried 1st Effort.

cravipat on
    edited May 2010
    Wow. I guess the game really hasn't caught on here. Even bothering people by PM has had no result.

Anyways, Cravipat. The Unhorse is brilliant. I'm well impressed by your musical compositions as well, are you making them from scratch?

In Shark Vs Dino I had the screen freeze on an impact as I was running out of AI to deal with some kind of shark rebound animation. I'm happy enough with it as is. I've done my doodled dino and submitted my entry.

Linking game creation to the WarioWare franchise was a master stroke. The expectation is for comically bad doodles so you lose any sense of artistic pressure and are free to just have fun making the games.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    DS > Wii > Digital Camera > PC > Youtube! What a convoluted upload process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFgKEa8nvU

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited May 2010
    I still need to get myself a wifi adapter before I can trade anything.

ikillkenny on