As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you stay awake?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Any tips? I have already consumed 24ozs of redbull.

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You've already set yourself up for a rebound crash.

Exercise will wake you up. Really though, it's a force of will thing at some point. Personally I'm an insomniac and not sleeping for a few days is the closest to suicide I've ever come. After around day 4 it's an unbelievable level of stress.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    uh

some specifics would be good

why are you staying awake
    how long have you been awake
    are you supposed to be asleep

chugging sugary caffeinated energy drinks isn't a great way because best-case scenario you'll crash in a few hours

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    and even then, those drinks and even caffeine itself don't work on everyone

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    uh

some specifics would be good

why are you staying awake
    how long have you been awake
    are you supposed to be asleep

chugging sugary caffeinated energy drinks isn't a great way because best-case scenario you'll crash in a few hours

FUUUUCK.. Thats what I though. I knew I should have waited later in the night before drinking them....

I am staying awake to finish this paper... I have 700 words left but the words are not the problem. It is a complicated paper

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Take a quick run outside, unless it's really hot. Cool night air does wonders for me, and exercise helps a lot as well. Chugging energy/sugary/caffeinated drinks doesn't work so well, it's a fast burn that crashes hard.

Put some fast music on, preferably direct to ear via headphones. Get your adrenaline pumping, and try your best to stay awake.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Know any bands?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Being sleep deprived will pretty much deteriorate your thought processes, and it will go for critical thinking and efficiency first. If its critical that your mind be sharp to interpret the material, the best way to be awake is to get some prior sleep. Other things to do is replenish your energy with healthy snacks and water. The all nighters I pulled were usually aided by trail mix or bowls of cereal, and eating in a steady stream.

Jogging outside with some nice upbeat music will help too, Ive also just done my laundry (which is in the same building, but requires keeping track of time, and staircase runs) to keep me alert. Daft Punk's Alive album is upbeat and seamless, and is great for working.

Iruka on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Danceable music.
    but that will also have the added effect of distracting you from your paper.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    lol I am going to get another noise complaint

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Go to sleep. Sleep a few hours and then wake up early and finish your paper with a clearer head.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Go to sleep. Sleep a few hours and then wake up early and finish your paper with a clearer head.

That never works.. I just wont finish the paper and be stressed out I am running out of time.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    what is the paper on?

Application of Moral theories

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Try going to sleep for 2 hours, and waking up. Thats what one of my cousins did all the time instead of pulling all nighters. He'd take a "power nap" and then wake up mostly revived and ready for more, and finish whatever studying he had to do. though he'd usually take a shower as soon as he woke up from the nap to make sure he woke up.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Take a walk around the block.

Do two sets of push ups and one set of pull ups on a tree.

Stretch.

Return to work.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    So like, how it's imoral to steal, but if you're broke and trying to feed a child it's sort of okay?

The felicific calculus is an algorithm formulated by utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham for calculating the degree or amount of pleasure that a specific action is likely to cause. Bentham, an ethical hedonist, believed the moral rightness or wrongness of an action to be a function of the amount of pleasure or pain that it produced. The felicific calculus could, in principle at least, determine the moral status of any considered act. The algorithm is also known as the utility calculus, the hedonistic calculus and the hedonic calculus.

Variables, or vectors, of the pleasures and pains included in this calculation, which Bentham called "elements" or "dimensions", were:[clarification needed]

1. Intensity: How strong is the pleasure?
    2. Duration: How long will the pleasure last?
    3. Certainty or uncertainty: How likely or unlikely is it that the pleasure will occur?
    4. Propinquity or remoteness: How soon will the pleasure occur?
    5. Fecundity: The probability that the action will be followed by sensations of the same kind.
    6. Purity: The probability that it will not be followed by sensations of the opposite kind.

7. Extent: How many people will be affected?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On the subject of naps:
    Do not nap for more than 20 minutes
    a 20 minute nap will refresh you. Any longer and it will just make you tired and want to sleep.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drink a lot of water.

It's a good to have a mechanical task that gives you something to do (drink, get up and refill glass, etc), and it's hard to go to bed if you have to piss all the time.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    5 hour energy works wonders for me.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    KlatBlutigKlatBlutig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree that at some point caffeine isn't going to do the trick. When I was working graveyards I would eat something spicy and drink a sports drink and then stick to water after that. I also have to agree that getting up and moving a little tends to help; the afore mentioned graveyards were when I was working as an EMT and a few laps around my ambulance at 4AM tended to help.

It's really too bad you don't have access to O2, 15min on high-flow O2 would always perk me right up :P

My other half asked me to add that tea got her through many an English paper during her undergrad.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    KlatBlutig wrote: »
    I agree that at some point caffeine isn't going to do the trick. When I was working graveyards I would eat something spicy and drink a sports drink and then stick to water after that. I also have to agree that getting up and moving a little tends to help; the afore mentioned graveyards were when I was working as an EMT and a few laps around my ambulance at 4AM tended to help.

It's really too bad you don't have access to O2, 15min on high-flow O2 would always perk me right up :P

My other half asked me to add that tea got her through many an English paper during her undergrad.

lol where does one get o2

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

You're not getting high flow oxygen.

Buckle down, write the last page and a half and get some sleep.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »

I am on my 36oz of Red bull...

FUCK I HIT A BRICK WALL ON THIS PAPER.. I can figure out how to apply this theroy

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Ask an old guy with COPD (barrel chested with thin arms and legs). AFAIK there isn't anything illegal about having an O2 tank and bag-valve mask. I assume a medical supply store could sell you everything you need, assuming there aren't any legal issues that is. I've been told that too much time on O2 can cause nose bleeds but TBH I fell asleep with a BVM on for around 30min and didn't have a problem.

EDIT: I was joking about the O2 :P However:
    Esh wrote: »

This is probably the best advice available.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Page and a half is about all I have left but if it was only so simple as just writing. Takes much thinking to apply this stuff.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You posted this topic two hours ago.

If you actually sat down and concentrated it would have been done an hour ago.

Stop wasting time and do it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

Yeah and I am on page 8 of it.. It is not something you can just sit down and write. I am thinking about how to apply something while making posts.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah and I am on page 8 of it.. It is not something you can just sit down and write. I am thinking about how to apply something while making posts.

The less time you're dickin' around on the internet, the more time you have to think about it and the less time you have to worry about staying up. Log off. :mrgreen:

Esh on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Or better yet, stop procrastinating at writing stuff the night before it is due. Then sleep like a baby while your classmates stay up all night doing this crap.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well I'd hate to contribute to you not making progress but maybe you could help us understand the topic a little better. While I read your description (and found it fascinating) I don't fully understand what you're writing about. Now all I've got is a BA in Political Science, a year of failed law school and some accounting courses... but I'd actually like to learn more about your topic. Can you maybe give us your thesis?

I do apologize if I'm being dense here, your description earlier may well be all someone in your area of study requires. I've been where you're at though and you have my sympathy, if that helps.

EDIT: The other half says you should shower and walk away from it, then grovel before your professor in the hopes of getting an extension.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well I'd hate to contribute to you not making progress but maybe you could help us understand the topic a little better. While I read your description (and found it fascinating) I don't fully understand what you're writing about. Now all I've got is a BA in Political Science, a year of failed law school and some accounting courses... but I'd actually like to learn more about your topic. Can you maybe give us your thesis?

I do apologize if I'm being dense here, your description earlier may well be all someone in your area of study requires. I've been where you're at though and you have my sympathy, if that helps.

I don't have a BA at all.

Well I am not really suppose to go into detail about the topic because I am not allowed to get any outside help but I can use another example..

Say you have a problem such as... "Should the US drop the Bomb on Japan?"

Understanding what the Ethical issue with that is the first step. Once you understand that you need to come up with solutions to the problem. Once you have the solution you need to apply Ethical Theories to it to decide what is the most ethical decision the US can make. To drop the Bomb or take another action.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So the idea is to consider a scenario's moral implications from the perspective of the felicific calculus? Are you in need of another scenario? Because trust me there are people here that could provide those...

I understand that you're forbidden from getting outside help but bouncing ideas off of people shouldn't be a problem.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So the idea is to consider a scenario's moral implications from the perspective of the felicific calculus? Are you in need of another scenario? Because trust me there are people here that could provide those...

I understand that you're forbidden from getting outside help but bouncing ideas off of people shouldn't be a problem.

Correct.

The professor doesn't want us to have any help outside the research we do.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hate felicific calculus.. It gets all fucked up as soon as a bigger party gets involved. So if 100 people suffer greatly but 10k people that are inolved suffer a little bit they overrule the people suffering greatly.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A great source for issues with morally questionable decisions might be John Stoessinger's Why Nations Go to War while I doubt you can get a hold of a copy right now the chapter on Vietnam (A Greek Tragedy in Five Acts) really shows some of the moral issues inherent with such a conflict.

At this hour I should reiterate my fiancé's advice: walk away, take a shower, get some sleep and throw yourself on the mercy of your professor.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A great source for issues with morally questionable decisions might be John Stoessinger's Why Nations Go to War while I doubt you can get a hold of a copy right now the chapter on Vietnam (A Greek Tragedy in Five Acts) really shows some of the moral issues inherent with such a conflict.

At this hour I should reiterate my fiancé's advice: walk away, take a shower, get some sleep and throw yourself on the mercy of your professor.

I am just about done.. Another hour.. I just took a hit on one of the sections but should still get a B.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How do I use Calc on OO to add up...

Option A
    9x68,000
    -8x80000
    -5x1,026,000
    8x92 million
    Option B
    2x68,000
    6x80000
    7x1,026,000
    -1x92 million
    Option C
    -10x68,000
    -10x80000
    -5x1,026,000
    -2x92 million
    Option D
    7x68,000
    5x80000
    2x1,026,000
    -3x92 million

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I am just about done.. Another hour.. I just took a hit on one of the sections but should still get a B.

Then with that good sir I bid you good night and good luck.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FUUUCK my eyes burn so bad and the calculator on my screen is soo far away...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
This discussion has been closed.