The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Annihilation of Tabletopolis

245

Posts

  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Question for you dudes, I'm moving and I've discovered I have all this 2nd edition D&D stuff. I haven't played in years, but I sort of feel bad about maybe getting rid of my books. If I wanted to get rid of the books, is it possible to (legally) replace them with digital copies in case I ever decide I want to go back to that stuff? Is such a thing available?

    No.

    Lame! I love me some books, but holy shit are they a pain in the ass to lug around. Guess I'll have to look at what I really want to keep. I have all kinds of those Complete Whatever's Handbooks

    Anything you don't want you can send my way, I enjoy collecting that sort of stuff. :P

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so as it turns out i am not going out tonight

    because i am running a fever and i am in severe pain

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    were you bitten by a wolf or wolf like animal?

    Spoiler:

  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    so as it turns out i am not going out tonight

    because i am running a fever and i am in severe pain

    you've got this burning like your veins are filled with nothing but gasoline?

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    so as it turns out i am not going out tonight

    because i am running a fever and i am in severe pain

    dang pony that sucks

    hope you feel better soon

    i mean at least temporarily

    i know sometimes we get stuff that doesn't go away and pops up time to time


    more importantly:

    I AM HAVING A LOT OF FUN WITH YOUR GAME

    YOU INDEED HAD A VERY GOOD IDEA, SIR!

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also the image of Ron Perlman smashing a werewolf to death with his fists?

    Delicious.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    so as it turns out i am not going out tonight

    because i am running a fever and i am in severe pain

    you've got this burning like your veins are filled with nothing but gasoline?

    Was listening to this very song when I read this.

    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My groups been playing this game that I can't remember the name of thats basically 3.5+ because my group, except me, hates 4th edition. They say its too much like an MMO. I say it fixes the problem we run into all the time where a spell caster under level 5 can't do shit.

    See, people don't use spellcasters creatively. They only see the offensive spells as being weak when there are SO many other spells that arcane casters can use that, while not strictly offensive, will still kick a lot of ass.

    The problem with kids these days is they want everything to be faster. And yes, 4e is an MMO. Wizards had to do something to get potential players to go away from their keyboard - so they made an edition that made it so you didn't have to be creative. You can just go into a room, blast away without any kind of planning or strategy, loot move on.

    *shrug*

  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Coligostro, that is a pretty tired and inaccurate argument.

    There is always more than one way to play a tabletop RPG.

    Use your brain.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cog you bein' a silly goose.

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Of course there is... but that's the main problem I've seen with a majority of the people who like 4e. They don't have to be judicious with spell usage.

    I'm not saying it's a bad system, I'm just saying it's not a good D&D system.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Then you're still wrong.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're welcome to think that. Sorry if my opinion is not what everyone here thinks.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ugh


    I fucking miss playing Dark Heresy

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rifts is pretty good, and you always get to have a good laugh at the descriptions mr. siembieda makes up
    I like Mage even better though, you can make up some pretty awesome spells and stuff to mess around with, one of my favorite systems
    I've been playing some Rifts with my brothers and in the current story I'm an octoman headhunter, we decided to go with the most ridiculous R.C.C./O.C.C. combinationsd possible for our characters

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    You're welcome to think that. Sorry if my opinion is not what everyone here thinks.

    Spare me. Your opinion is based on either not understanding the system or seeing/having a lack of creativity or strategy.
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Of course there is... but that's the main problem I've seen with a majority of the people who like 4e. They don't have to be judicious with spell usage.

    Yes, they do.

    If you don't use the right spell at the right time, you can completely waste its benefits and not have a chance to cast it again during the encounter or for the rest of the day.
    I'm not saying it's a bad system, I'm just saying it's not a good D&D system.

    Okay so.

    4e is a good system

    4e is a D&D system

    It sort of follows from this line of thinking that 4e is a good D&D system.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Judicious with spell use"?

    What the fuck does that even fucking mean?

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I actually did enjoy the Serenity system, though.

    I've only played Pathfinder one time, but it seemed pretty good from what I read... I wish I hadn't had to shell out $50 for the core rulebook, but i"m a sucker like that. I think I'm going to try Shadowrun... there's a group locally who plays a regular game and they're open to new players.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If your argument is that 4e is "not a good D&D system" then I have very serious questions as to what you think D&D is.

    Because I am quite sure we disagree sharply on that point!

  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    You're welcome to think that. Sorry if my opinion is not what everyone here thinks.

    Opinions can be wrong. You could say that, in your opinion, a dog is a purple eight-legged marsupial and be wrong thus.

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When I played we had a cleric who never ran out of spells. Sure, they weren't that powerful but he still had them ALL DAY LONG.

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    If your argument is that 4e is "not a good D&D system" then I have very serious questions as to what you think D&D is.

    Because I am quite sure we disagree sharply on that point!

    Don't get me wrong, 3.5 isn't perfect either, the 10 trillion skills being my main beef with it, but playing 4e makes it feel like too much of a video game. I tend to like separating those two passions.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    When I played we had a cleric who never ran out of spells. Sure, they weren't that powerful but he still had them ALL DAY LONG.

    yes, those would probably be at-will powers. you must be judicious in using one that fits the situation.

    there are encounter powers. you must be judicious in using one that fits the situation and be careful when you use it because you only get it once per encounter.

    there are daily powers. you must be judicious in using one that fits the situation and be careful because you only get to use it once per day.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That is an... interesting Hunter game you have going, Pony.


    I really liked the other one CF had going for, oh, a week before it died. :(

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    When I played we had a cleric who never ran out of spells. Sure, they weren't that powerful but he still had them ALL DAY LONG.

    That's your problem?

    At-will spells?

    Seriously?

    C'mon, Cog, that is like anti-logic

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes... Clerics are spell beggars (as such that means they're only granted so many) and arcanists are supposed to have a finite amount of energy to put into their magic.


    I don't like the system, but I'm going to shut up about it because every time I say something about it you guys jump my ass like I just kicked your fucking dog and pull juvenile shit like question my intelligence, etc. etc. I'm sorry I don't like your preferred system. From now on I'll stay out of your tabletop threads.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a whole game focused around magic use if D&D isn't your bag(it isn't mine).

    MageTheAwakeningCover.jpg

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Yes... Clerics are spell beggars (as such that means they're only granted so many) and arcanists are supposed to have a finite amount of energy to put into their magic.


    I don't like the system, but I'm going to shut up about it because every time I say something about it you guys jump my ass like I just kicked your fucking dog and pull juvenile shit like question my intelligence, etc. etc. I'm sorry I don't like your preferred system. From now on I'll stay out of your tabletop threads.

    Your entire objection to 4e seems based on your own (completely weird!) preconceived notion of how magic should work.

    It's like, you have this idea that "this is how magic works in D&D" and anything that is different from that is somehow "like a video game"?

    Cog, does it occur to you that the reason people keep busting your balls for these opinions is because they're really poorly thought out and you express them really badly?

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Yes... Clerics are spell beggars (as such that means they're only granted so many) and arcanists are supposed to have a finite amount of energy to put into their magic.

    Says who?

    You are basically assuming a game world based originally upon the work of Jack Vance's "Dying Earth", and game worlds derivative of previous editions of D&D like Dragonlance.

    That's not a very good way to evaluate a game system, nor D&D in general.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DnD 4e is all wrong

    clerics ought to be like pastry chefs, whereas mages should be much like grizzled, world-weary detectives with only a week left on the force

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm vaguely reminded of the purists who actually complained when fighters started getting abilities beyond "stand in front of the target and roll to hit"

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    DnD 4e is all wrong

    clerics ought to be like pastry chefs, whereas mages should be much like grizzled, world-weary detectives with only a week left on the force

    and Fighters are impish Pixies!

  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I'm vaguely reminded of the purists who actually complained when fighters started getting abilities beyond "stand in front of the target and roll to hit"

    I actually have friends like this
    :(

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I'm vaguely reminded of the purists who actually complained when fighters started getting abilities beyond "stand in front of the target and roll to hit"

    I actually have friends like this
    :(

    We all do, man.

    We all do.

  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I'm vaguely reminded of the purists who actually complained when fighters started getting abilities beyond "stand in front of the target and roll to hit"

    Lemme tell you, that is a bad opinion. As a dude who went from 2nd to 18th as a pure fighter in 3.5, I can plainly say that those "purists" are certifiably dumb.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    DnD 4e is all wrong

    clerics ought to be like pastry chefs, whereas mages should be much like grizzled, world-weary detectives with only a week left on the force

    and Fighters are impish Pixies!

    no, fighters are Ice-T in his role as the loveable homeless man Mason from Surviving The Game

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fighters shouldn't be able to do that! It's stupid! It's like doing magic, except with a sword

    That's stupid they shouldn't have special abilities that takes away the specialness of spellcasters

    Wait why are you advancing towards me with a look of aaarggghhh this pain knows no limit but I completely deserve this violent death

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    DnD 4e is all wrong

    clerics ought to be like pastry chefs, whereas mages should be much like grizzled, world-weary detectives with only a week left on the force

    and Fighters are impish Pixies!

    no, fighters are Ice-T in his role as the loveable homeless man Mason from Surviving The Game

    I can see you've never played a fighter in a magic user intensive game.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am playing a Swordmage/Artificer Hybrid that is multiclassed into Wizard in Caulk Bite's Eberron campaign.

    Clearly, all I like is MMORPGs.

This discussion has been closed.