As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Let's Play of Aliens versus Predator 3 (2010)

63907avppcboxart01normav.jpg

Will this be scarier than the second one? I doubt it, but we can try it and see.

Once again I will be playing this blind (no prior playthrough).

No need for a Wikipedia link this time, it's about Aliens, predators and marines. You shoot/claw/impale mans.

Special thanks to John Zoidberg for once again supplying the game.

The layout

The video will be posted in sets. These will be from 2 - 4 videos and contained in the spoilers.
Should you need it/if it’s available, press HQ for the higher quality Youtube video.

Enjoy!

Set 1! (Marine Start)
Set 2 - A facefull
Set 3 - Fly me to the moon
Set 4 - How did they get my number anyway?
Set 5 - Now with crappier versus
Set 6 - I have a fever, and the only cure is more dead Aliens!
Set 7 - That's one hell of a bad day (Marine end)
Set 8 - Eating Mans (Bruce start)
Set 9 - Scaring Marines is easy
Set 10 - Press 'E' to molest
Set 11 - Push button recieve wang (Bruce end)
Set 12 - Shaved legs
Set 13 - Fun with bombs
Set 14 - How convienent
Set 15 - Green o vision
Set 16 - Boom stick
Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't wait to sit down and watch.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dunno, it almost seems like this game hasn't been our long enough to warrant an LP, but then again I didn't remember hearing much fanfare when it came out. But if Helloween's doing it, on with the show!

Dartboy on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pizza. Check.

42 inch LCD TV screen hooked into my Mac. Check.

Helloween's latest Let's Play. Check.

Good times. :)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I dunno, it almost seems like this game hasn't been our long enough to warrant an LP, but then again I didn't remember hearing much fanfare when it came out. But if Helloween's doing it, on with the show!

Well if this were SA it wouldn't be allowed due to their 3 month rule but we don't exactly have many rules here at all regarding LPs. I'm not sure why that's a rule there anyway, I mean if it's spoilers you're afraid of, it's not like you're forced to watch.

Adus on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adus wrote: »

Well if this were SA it wouldn't be allowed due to their 3 month rule but we don't exactly have many rules here at all regarding LPs. I'm not sure why that's a rule there anyway, I mean if it's spoilers you're afraid of, it's not like you're forced to watch.

It really is the dumbest "rule". I have no idea why it is something to worry about anyway.

Edit: Anyway, I've been looking forward to this Helloween, and I'm sure you won't disappoint.

Xtarath on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I thought it was more about damaging potential sales - if you take a deeply mediocre game like AVP3, remove the need to either pay for it or play through it and add entertaining commentary on top of it to keep you company...not much incentive to pay for it, is there?

I mean, to play devil's advocate, ripping a dvd of a terrible movie you own and recording your own commentary over it, then uploading it to youtube is considered copyright infringement. There's nothing that legally distinguishes LPs from this example - indeed, under the recently passed Digital Economy Bill in the UK, simply viewing 3 parts of Helloween's first section is sufficient grounds to disconnect you from the Internet for life.

That being said, LPs need to exist, Helloween does a fantastic job with them and I pity anyone shelling out for 5 hours of subpar singleplayer, so no tears shed here!

Bioptic on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

I thought it was more about damaging potential sales - if you take a deeply mediocre game like AVP3, remove the need to either pay for it or play through it and add entertaining commentary on top of it to keep you company...not much incentive to pay for it, is there?

I mean, to play devil's advocate, ripping a dvd of a terrible movie you own and recording your own commentary over it, then uploading it to youtube is considered copyright infringement. There's nothing that legally distinguishes LPs from this example - indeed, under the recently passed Digital Economy Bill in the UK, simply viewing 3 parts of Helloween's first section is sufficient grounds to disconnect you from the Internet for life.

That being said, LPs need to exist, Helloween does a fantastic job with them and I pity anyone shelling out for 5 hours of subpar singleplayer, so no tears shed here!

The UK government can stick that act. Seriously.

That said, AVP is terrible average :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    This game was pretty awful.

Echo on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AvP's marine campaign tends to suffer from the problem that you're just too survivable to really feel all that vulnerable and scared.

Nevertheless, I found this game to be a fun little excursion with a number of amusing and atmospheric set-pieces and I'm looking forward to seeing Helloween stumble his way through it's many dark corridors.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    AvP's marine campaign tends to suffer from the problem that you're just too survivable to really feel all that vulnerable and scared.

Nevertheless, I found this game to be a fun little excursion with a number of amusing and atmospheric set-pieces and I'm looking forward to seeing Helloween stumble his way through it's many dark corridors.

I'm just looking forward to eating mans as Bruce NO.2

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The AvP3 singleplayer may be average,but i have so much fun with the multiplayer.

AdditionalPylons on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Did they cover not being a bitch in basic training? Cause I guess you failed"

That one had me in stitches through most of the LP.

PS: Thanks for doing this LP, this means I wont have to buy the game.

MoosehatIV on
  • ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it gonna be a running joke that every single person or group (expect miss tequila) gets squished right before meeting up with the rookie? That Echo team is doomed.

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, at least the flashlight battery doesn't run out after 5 seconds :)

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zealot wrote: »
    Is it gonna be a running joke that every single person or group (expect miss tequila) gets squished right before meeting up with the rookie? That Echo team is doomed.

Im pretty sure eventually every group gets squished in every avp game and leave you alone

AdditionalPylons on
    edited April 2010

Shame I dont a glow in the dark gun, might give off more light :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The general rule is 3 months, but if it's Helloween and AVP? We'll allow it.

Let's face it though, it's basically the same game as the other one, just now with prettier graphics, a worse story, and QTEs.

edit: Just started watching. Goddamnit.
    Frankly, if you paint your spaceship gunmetal-gray and fit it with about half as many flickery-ass fluorescent lights as are necessary, then you might as well rename it the USS Kill Beast Buffet!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

Shame I dont a glow in the dark gun, might give off more light :P

Just be glad its centered, with the lights on their shoulders they could be pointing off god knows where.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a lot of things we don't copy from SA. Quality for one.

Shady3011 on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So are you not allowed to be a Marine if you don't have a silly accent? I bet Private John Q. Rookie sounds like the Swedish chef and got yelled at a lot in boot camp, which is why he doesn't talk anymore.

Craigopogo on
    edited April 2010
    He needs to have a cool nickname, like Frosty.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Guess what I'm doing? Makin' a phone call. Oh wait, it's a drink machine. Oh, there's a phone! Makin' a phone call."

Come for the jump scares and cheap deaths, stay for the incidental banter. Good show, man :^:

But what is even going on here? "Hey, that big alien ship just blasted our guys out of the sky. Should we, I dunno, abort the drop and call for help?" "...nah, I got a good feeling about this one. Let's just go with it and see what happens." Then you're unconscious for most of the action, you're left behind and yet tasked with everything, the idiots can't remember your name but say you have "heart," the audio logs contain some of the most pointless dialogue ever, and the flashlight here is even smaller than the one in AvP2 (I'll grant that at least this one seems limitless).

I'm trying to imagine the most generic way to start the marine campaign, and this is somehow worse.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, at least there are no pseudo-English accents...but now there's a Vasquez wannabe.

edit: In any game where you're a Marine or any kind of soldier, it's basically, "YOU THERE! DO EVERYTHING!"

moar edit: Man, SG1 would have zero problems here.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Well, at least there are no pseudo-English accents...but now there's a Vasquez wannabe.

edit: In any game where you're a Marine or any kind of soldier, it's basically, "YOU THERE! DO EVERYTHING!"

moar edit: Man, SG1 would have zero problems here.

I vote we officially rename the Rookie "Ramirez."

"Ramirez! Protect Burgertown from the aliens and monsters!"

"Ramirez! Shoot the Alien Queen with your zappy gun!"

"Ramirez! Get in the METAL GEAR and shoot the Predator Hunt Pack Leader in the face with a railgun launched nuke! Don't let your Radome take too much damage, and watch out for Grey Fox!"

I dunno...

Sounds better to me then

"Rookie! Get to da Club and pick up some bitches and ho's!"

"Rookie! Rescue me by carrying a lunchbox to another lunchbox next to my door!"

"Rookie! Shoot the alien with your gun until it dies!"

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God damn it, Ramirez! Keep up!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ramirez! Carry me to the drop zone and wipe my ass for me!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Having played this game myself recently, I assure you it will be far more entertaining to watch Helloween suffer through it than one has actually playing it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with Helloween doing this, since it dropped off the radar so quickly anyway.

Also, from looking at those videos, it actually seems like the interiors of those buildings actively project darkness. Notice how the reasonably lit outside actually got darker when he went in. Maybe in the future there's some OSHA requirement that absolutely everything needs to be dark, grated metal with flickering fluorescent lights, and when they accidentally made a well-lit colony they had to do something about it. Would also explain the flashlight.

Dartboy on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I lost it at "Bruce, hold your breath."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Was that in this set or his previous AvP LP?

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Also, if anyone is wondering about part 3 where she's babbling about "Some new breed of Xeno" what she is referring to is:
    The predalien that is running around the colony, it has a thing for pulling off peoples heads and skinning them alive like a predator.

This never comes up in the marine campaign again and marks the first major piece of poor writing in the game.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also, if anyone is wondering about part 3 where she's babbling about "Some new breed of Xeno" what she is referring to is:
    The predalien that is running around the colony, it has a thing for pulling off peoples heads and skinning them alive like a predator.

This never comes up in the marine campaign again and marks the first major piece of poor writing in the game.

Didn't you fight that thing in the second AvP too?

Well, not so much fought as ran away from alot. I really need to rewatch the AvP2 LP.

Also, can you see it in his set, or did he miss it by not looking at it and throwing a flare at the right exact moment to illuminate it properly?

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    As far as I know it's nowhere to be seen in the level, then again her annoying "ROOKIE, GO HERE!" constantly meant I didn't bother exploring as much (and it's incredibly dark so it might be hiding in a filing cabinet or something).

Personally what really got to me about the first part of the game was her constantly reminding me where to go. It drove me absolutely nuts especially because that first level has a lot of hidden audiologs. Looking for them while she is constantly babbling at me to "ROOKIE, GET TO DA CLUB" was inducing me to homicide. The opening to AVP2 was far better in this regard.

Edit: It is possible to see the Predator though if you're keen with the motion tracker and look at just the right spot at just the right moment.

Aegeri on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TKane wrote: »

Part 2 of this set.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good luck, Helloween. I couldn't force myself to beat all three campaigns.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2010
    TKane wrote: »

Part 2 of this set.

OH! Yeah, the aliens not moving and thus being utterly invisible to your radar. I remember now. Had a brain fart.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hoooray! new LP! Keep making games I wont play interesting!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know it isn't the greatest game in the world but there was a few reasons I wanted to provide it for a LP.

1) Not many people did actually buy this after hearing of how "average" it was but I enjoyed it as a fan of the subject matter and wanted other people to see how it is.
    2) AvP2 was one of my favorite Helloween LP's so I wanted to see how he lent his stylings to the triple perspective again.
    3) Um, ok, only 2 reasons.

But yes, not the best game in the world but it has its moments and is worthy of a LP.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited April 2010
    As far as I know it's nowhere to be seen in the level, then again her annoying "ROOKIE, GO HERE!" constantly meant I didn't bother exploring as much (and it's incredibly dark so it might be hiding in a filing cabinet or something).

Personally what really got to me about the first part of the game was her constantly reminding me where to go. It drove me absolutely nuts especially because that first level has a lot of hidden audiologs. Looking for them while she is constantly babbling at me to "ROOKIE, GET TO DA CLUB" was inducing me to homicide. The opening to AVP2 was far better in this regard.

Edit: It is possible to see the Predator though if you're keen with the motion tracker and look at just the right spot at just the right moment.

Are you talking about around 7:30 in video 2? Something drops out of the sky on the side of the screen. I caught it, Helloween did not.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited April 2010
    Even as a fan of the subject matter AvP3 is a terribly average FPS. The game feels in many ways like a giant rip off of the second game, especially the marine campaign and it doesn't even manage to be as coherent/tense as the second game. The alien and predator campaigns are shorter (I think) and while more fun (albeit a lot of people think the alien campaign sucks) they don't again come up to the level that AvP2 had.

Really, many of my problems boil down to "The game isn't anywhere near as good as AvP2, while trying to rip it off so hard in so many ways". The marine with an infinite ammo pistol? I mean what? A clumsy melee combat system doesn't help matters either (this is what the game is going on about "push mouse 4" constantly).

I'll grant anyone the stealth kills for the alien/predator campaigns are really meaty, but the fact they reuse levels constantly (I can't wait for Helloween to notice this) is very cheap. Additionally, while AvP2 did reuse some levels it was often a very different take on them each time, while in AvP3 I think you have the same basic fight in the same area THREE damn times (one in each campaign).

Are you talking about around 7:30 in video 2? Something drops out of the sky on the side of the screen. I caught it, Helloween did not.

No, that's just debris flying around in that area. The predator is near towards where he goes towards the admin building, up on the top of the building. You can see his cloak if you're looking in the right direction/place.

Edit: Something else that is ripped off from a superior game, eg AvP2. They even copy another scene from AvP2 later on.

Aegeri on