As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Silly Jehovah's Witnesses Betta Get Off My Lawn

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    who the fuck is justin bieber?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh i just made that up

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    no idea. it's a fun name to say

though not a very appetizing drink.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dickerdoodles

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i don't mind talking about politics or religion or whatever with people who are intelligent and knowledgeable about the subject

"my co-workers" is not a group that generally qualifies, man

so really i'd rather just not do it at all than have to listen to one of the guys i work with go on about "THE LIBERALS" or whatever

Pony on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    some of you might be curious about certain phenomenon, magnets for instance. i have the answers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    satansfingers have you ever not been the worst?

Pony on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    who the fuck is justin bieber?

Do your best to not find out.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »

i didn't know i was the worst

dang i gotta reflect on this

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i don't mind talking about politics or religion or whatever with people who are intelligent and knowledgeable about the subject

so really i'd rather just not do it at all than have to listen to one of the guys i work with go on about "THE LIBERALS" or whatever

Yes this, I don't mind having an intellectual conversation about politics, religion, or whatever with just about anyone if they know what they are talking about, and have an open mind.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i didn't know i was the worst

dang i gotta reflect on this

look you just posted an ICP video alright

think about your life

and internet postings

Pony on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »

Yes this, I don't mind having an intellectual conversation about politics, religion, or whatever with just about anyone if they know what they are talking about, and have an open mind.

i don't like it when people disagree with me either

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    i like the economist, but when i get to a certain page the name Charlemagne is up top and i think there's going to be a neat history article but there never is

gets me EVERY TIME

oh jesus that would be frustrating

dammit

I need me some history, now

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Josiah_9 wrote: »

i don't like it when people disagree with me either

That is the opposite of what I am saying, I like talking to people with different viewpoints, as long as they can explain why they feel that way. I have changed my feelings on many issues after speaking with someone who I disagreed with.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    on the internet, changing your viewpoint after someone argues their point successfully is the ultimate show of weakness

if you actually say "huh, you're right... I never really thought about it like that before!" you're immediately accused of backpedaling or trolling or trying to cowardly ditch the argument or whatever.

so people on the internet never, ever want to admit they are wrong about anything ever

this is what is wrong with the debate & discourse forum, amongst other things

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NO PONY YOU ARE SO WRONG I AM ALWAYS CHANGING SHIT.

Sorry I don't know what just came over me.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    True story time, Jehovah witnesses refuse to come to my parent's house.

Why?

One day two showed up to the house, my mother greeted them with smiles and the new testament in hand. invited them in, and started into her own spechial about why they should convert to the roman catholic faith.

After half an hour they polite declined and left. in 13 years, not one has come here since and we see them come by, they skip right past this here house.

Funny, my mother did that to JW's and Mormons when I was a lad, except we're southern baptists.

The JW's were persistent though, they were canvassing our block, so when my mother started stumping them left and right one went outside and called over their "big guns".

An hour or so later of simultaneous bible thumping and they finally called it quits. Just like you, however, they never came back to the house.

krush on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tend to just tell people that I've already sorted that part of my life out.

Weaver on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone on the street tries to start talking to me about religion I just say "I've already found peace in my lord savior jesus christ" because that's usually what they're getting at

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    If anyone on the street tries to start talking to me about religion I just say "I've already found peace in my lord savior jesus christ" because that's usually what they're getting at

I've become so conflicted on this, by saying I found jesus I am being evasive, and letting deceit take care of an inconvenience. Is this right? Am I acting with integrity?

I think of this kind of stuff at night.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »

I've become so conflicted on this, by saying I found jesus I am being evasive, and letting deceit take care of an inconvenience. Is this right? Am I acting with integrity?

I think of this kind of stuff at night.

between date-rapes, you mean

Pony on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Once in the metro some anglican guy tried to proselytise to me. He had a suit and a nametag that said he was affiliated with the Anglican Church of Canada and everything. The conversation was pretty short though. It went something like this:

"Hi, I was wondering if I could take some of your time to ask you if you follow the teachings of Jesus Christ."

"Nah, I really don't."

"So uh, you're..."

"Atheist, that's right. I just don't believe anything in the Bible makes any kind of sense."

"So you think it makes more sense that we're just here for no reason at all?"

"That's right."

"Ah. Well, nice talking to you."

Then he shook my hand and left me alone. That was pretty nice. No condescension or judgement from either side, we just agreed to disagree. I give him an A, would get proselytised at by him again.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couple weeks ago some Mormons started chatting me up right as I left the office. They continued to chat about Joe Smith and whatnot for the entire 6 block walk to my parking garage

I honestly didn't mind, it kept the beggars from asking me for spare change/cigarettes/cheeseburgers

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    OrmiOrmi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    on the internet, changing your viewpoint after someone argues their point successfully is the ultimate show of weakness

if you actually say "huh, you're right... I never really thought about it like that before!" you're immediately accused of backpedaling or trolling or trying to cowardly ditch the argument or whatever.

so people on the internet never, ever want to admit they are wrong about anything ever

I've seen a lot more "okay maybe you're somewhat right about that BUT,"

Ormi on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they've set up a "Prayer Station" on the sidewalk near Borough Hall

some weirdo with a big white beard took a step towards me as I walked past but I guess he correctly interpreted the grave, slow shake of my head to mean "nope"

kinda wanted to ask him to quote Matthew 6:5-6:6 for me but that's probably unnecessary

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ITT: Pony is right.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pony are you calling my opinions irrational

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

tlb would you like to read this comic book

it was written by joss whedon

it's called astonishing x-men #1, you might like it

Pony on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

:lol:

Antimatter on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS PONY

NEXT TIME

NEXT TIIIIIIIIIME

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    my opinions on religion, except replace every instance of the word girl with god

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UAhKk8Aj0

Swill on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    krush wrote: »

Why?

One day two showed up to the house, my mother greeted them with smiles and the new testament in hand. invited them in, and started into her own spechial about why they should convert to the roman catholic faith.

After half an hour they polite declined and left. in 13 years, not one has come here since and we see them come by, they skip right past this here house.

Funny, my mother did that to JW's and Mormons when I was a lad, except we're southern baptists.

The JW's were persistent though, they were canvassing our block, so when my mother started stumping them left and right one went outside and called over their "big guns".

An hour or so later of simultaneous bible thumping and they finally called it quits. Just like you, however, they never came back to the house.

I *heard* (this is not me saying it's a fact) that they are actually pretty methodical in their door-to-door stuff. Like, they get a map of the neighborhood and will red mark someone who they really don't want to go back to... that way later on another group of missionaries won't go to the same place.

It also serves to show who has been covered and who hasn't been.

Again, this is just something I heard from a friend of mine who was into JW for a while. I am in no way asserting this as fact or as my opinion.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    krush wrote: »

Why?

I *heard* (this is not me saying it's a fact) that they are actually pretty methodical in their door-to-door stuff. Like, they get a map of the neighborhood and will red mark someone who they really don't want to go back to... that way later on another group of missionaries won't go to the same place.

It also serves to show who has been covered and who hasn't been.

Again, this is just something I heard from a friend of mine who was into JW for a while. I am in no way asserting this as fact or as my opinion.

Yep. Like I said, tell em forcefully but calmly and they won't come back. How do I know this? 1982-1999 Never forget.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So wait.. are you saying that people who DO 'change' their opinions are doing it, or are you saying that people on the internet see them as trolling and backpedaling?

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cog.

Pony on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the JWs believe only 144,000 are going to heaven, and that number was reached in 1935, why do they keep trying?

I mean, it's a futile effort according to their beliefs

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How many of you would like to learn the 5 pillars of Islam

Is one of the pillars Sex with attractive women?

Because that might be something I can get behind.
    :winky:

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yus?

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    nothing.

just