As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Pre-PAX Dinner 2010 Thread - *Food Registration - CLOSED*

beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Food Registration is now CLOSED.

The Attendance-Only Registration is still active and will be until 9/1!

A big thank you to everybody who is participating. I can't wait to see all of you at the dinner.

Do you like new information!? I love to provide it to you!! So, here's some for you:

You can just go straight to this here site and make life easy for yourself by deciding, without any details, that you're going to come and have dinner with us:

REGISTER HERE!!!!
http://prepaxdinner2010.eventbrite.com/

An Important Note: Registration ENDS on [STRIKE]August 23rd[/STRIKE] August 26th. We will not be able to accept any latecomers due to the nature of the catering.

OR you can read below and get some details before deciding to ultimately click the above link and come have dinner with us. It's your choice, but either way, we'll see you there!!

Would you like to know what this thread is all about and where this bitchin' event that you KNOW you want to be apart of takes place? Try this:

The What: The Pre-PAX Dinner 2010 Edition
The Where: DAR Rainier Chapter House (DAR House) (located on beautiful Capitol Hill)
The When: Thursday, Sept. 2nd, 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Are you curious about what type of food we will be eating? Be curious no longer, because it's one of our favorite foods and it's damn good.

The Delicious Menu:

~ ITALIAN SAUSAGE LASAGNA ~ - MEAT GROUP!![/B]
Italian sausage, fresh lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, shaved Parmesan cheese, fresh herb
Marinara Sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese

~ CHICKEN LASAGNA ~ - BIRD GROUP!!
locally raised grilled chicken breast, fresh lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, shaved
Parmesan cheese, fresh herb Marinara Sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese

~ VEGETARIAN LASAGNA ~ - VEGGIE GROUP!!
sautéed garden vegetables, fresh lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, shaved Parmesan
cheese, fresh herb Marinara Sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese

INCLUDED with our delicious entrees will be:

~ CAESAR SALAD ~ with Romaine, fresh Parmesan, homemade croutons & Caesar
dressing

~ FRESH ROLLS ~ served with butter

~ DRINKS ~ A variety of soda and water flavored beverages for your drinking enjoyment!

Now, I know what you're thinking. How would I, Joe and Jane PennyArcader, get into such an exclusive event? It can't just be open to ANYBODY, could it!?

Of COURSE IT IS!!! WE WANT YOU!!!

There are 3 ticketing options, so pay attention!!
We want to make sure you're getting what you want and that we're not overpaying, so we will be ticketing based on your entree purchase! Do you want Italian Sausage Lasagna!? Go with the MEAT GROUP ticket! Poultry!? BIRD GROUP!! Do you prefer to just eat vegetables because that's how you roll!? Cool, we've got you covered with the VEGGIE GROUP!!!

We've also been able to procure a local DJ!!

DJ Panix of Sepiachord fame will be spinning for us. He's got a great selection of geek music, stuff you've heard and stuff you've never even comprehended. It's going to be absolutely brilliant.

I've heard Panix spin before and he's got a great sense of humor, awesome music and knows how to put together a set list.

What if I don't want to eat!?

We are now offering Attendance only tickets!! You may come and not eat, but still enjoy the happy fun times of Pre-PAX Dinner!!

[STRIKE]We understand that some people may not like lasagna. We're not exactly sure how it is you do not like this amazing food, but we respect your life choices and will leave it at that. In the event that you would like to attend but do not wish to pay to eat there is a POSSIBLE solution. At this point, we are only taking reservations for dinner (because, well...that's what it is! Dinner!!) and we want to make sure everybody who wants to participate is able to as we have a limited number of spots open. However, we will consider opening the event up to just RSVPs sans the food towards the end of the ticket sales. We will give everybody about a 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks notice that RSVP onlys are available and we will tell you just how limited they are, as I don't imagine there will be many. There is no promise this will happen, no guarantees, BUT it's possible.[/STRIKE]

What should I do before this super awesome dinner that you've set up?

Man, that's a really good question. Sitting and waiting in anticipation is always a great option, but what if you decided to do something more interesting? MORE Interesting than sitting in anticipation, you say!? What in the holy hell could that be? Dude, you could totally go hang out with some super sweet people, that will EVENTUALLY make it to this brilliantly put together dinner, as they're touring Seattle on a tour that's both magical AND mysterical.

The Magical Mystery Tour Thread has all the information you need to be more awesome. Try it!!

We will also be in need of volunteers. As in years past, we will not be able to comp any meals or provide any form of payment (outside of hugs, high fives and your own personal knowledge that you are a serious badass), because this dinner has been designed to break even. So, you want to help us because you know how kick-ass this is going to be and want to be involved on a deeply personal level. PM me for right now and I'll start taking names of people who are interested!!

Once again, thank you for your patience. We ask you wait just a little bit longer and then you'll be able to give us your hard earned money!!

PS - If you run into any issues with registration, payments or ticketing, please contact me immediately and I will get back to you as soon as I can. We're hoping this goes as smoothly as possible.

For the last few years, Astayonix and her husband have been kind enough to prepare the annual Pre-PAX dinner. Last year, unfortunately, was their last year doing it. However, we could not let this tradition die. The Pre-PAX dinner is important. The Pre-PAX dinner is something that *must* continue and to that end, we plan on keeping it up as long as possible. I mean, more than anything, we all need to eat before we go on a pub crawl and get stupid liquored up (those of us 21+ anyhow).

With the help of our very own Omeganaut veteran Eye-Shuh, MetaverseNomad and Emorimiku, the planning has begun. A dinner shall be created. It shall be good and celebratory and more!!

Please keep your eye on this thread if you're interested in an attending as we will be looking to get headcount along with finding out some very basic information from all of you. There may or may not, be a few polls we will request you take a quick gander at to help us along. We will update this thread as information becomes available.

Remember, this dinner is for *you*. We want to make sure everybody who wants to attend can and has a great time.

So, with that I say...

The Pre-PAX Dinner is dead. Long Live the Pre-PAX Dinner!!!

UEAKCrash wrote:
BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
EvilBadman wrote:
Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
TF2 Hatpack
beta_angel on

• eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wooo! Let's do this thang!

eye-shuh on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good for you guys. If you need any help planning it, let me know. I plan on attending this year, versus other years where I've been unable to.

And if you don't need any help, I'm more than happy to sit back, answer polls, buy my ticket when able, and attend. :)

Also, I know that Atiari has expressed some interest in helping and somehow merging this with his Pre-PAX Gaming Night, which was quite successful in Boston a few weeks ago. Dinner + games = awesome.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited April 2010
    We are in contact with Atiari. :) I'm hoping to get an email address so we can have some conversations!

eye-shuh on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adding gaming to the mix would be great. What I miss most about the dinner was when Chris Taylor was there and gave a speech. That was awesome, and you guys should really try to make something like that happen again. Even though it's cool to gather up so many people and have epic food, it's really just not enough by itself.

Anyway, this is still something I'd like to attend, so I'll keep watch on this thread. I'd like to suggest that we keep the same location as previous years too if possible, unless that prevents any gaming that may be planned. And if any help is needed for setting up, I shall volunteer. :)

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will definitely be attending this. Pity I will not be able to drink at it, damn US drinking age! :P

Gentlemanne on
    edited April 2010
    We can't use the same venue as previous years. It is being torn down and renovated.

eye-shuh on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    We can't use the same venue as previous years. It is being torn down and renovated.

News to me. I guess that's a good thing though. So, any plans on the new location yet?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm very happy to see that the Pre-PAX dinner is still alive :D

(But I really hope you avoid that food trailer this year!)

ACC3SS on
    edited April 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »

News to me. I guess that's a good thing though. So, any plans on the new location yet?

We're currently figuring that part out. :)

We have lots of ideas though, so stay tuned!

eye-shuh on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adding gaming to the mix would be great. What I miss most about the dinner was when Chris Taylor was there and gave a speech. That was awesome, and you guys should really try to make something like that happen again. Even though it's cool to gather up so many people and have epic food, it's really just not enough by itself.

Anyway, this is still something I'd like to attend, so I'll keep watch on this thread. I'd like to suggest that we keep the same location as previous years too if possible, unless that prevents any gaming that may be planned. And if any help is needed for setting up, I shall volunteer. :)

I'd love to possibly get somebody to do a pseudo-keynote and we can definitely keep that in mind. I don't know how viable it is but we will discuss it and see what we can come up with. :)

Part of the reason there was no 'keynote' last year was due to the fact that it took up time and whatever venue we get, we will only have it for a short period (the longer you want to keep a venue, the more expensive is). One of the main things about the dinner is keeping it inexpensive. :)

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Well, that's kind of something I plan on using my press contacts for ;) I can't promise I can get anyone in particular, but I can open my contact list up, find out who is going to the show or is local, and see what I can do. But again, that's all in the planning and since I'm getting involved it will be discussed.

atiari on
    edited April 2010
    Right, and that's perfectly fine. I wasn't trying to say you should "specifically" get a keynote speaker, but at least getting some famous people to attend would be great too, because it's happened before, I think it would be a cool tradition to follow. And I can help on that part.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    beta_angel wrote: »

I'd love to possibly get somebody to do a pseudo-keynote and we can definitely keep that in mind. I don't know how viable it is but we will discuss it and see what we can come up with. :)

Part of the reason there was no 'keynote' last year was due to the fact that it took up time and whatever venue we get, we will only have it for a short period (the longer you want to keep a venue, the more expensive is). One of the main things about the dinner is keeping it inexpensive. :)

Inexpensive is key, but that's why I also wanted to tie it in with the Pre-PAX Gaming Night. I'll be in direct contact with you to give you a better idea of my plans.

atiari on
    edited April 2010
    Right, and that's perfectly fine. I wasn't trying to say you should "specifically" get a keynote speaker, but at least getting some famous people to attend would be great too, because it's happened before, I think it would be a cool tradition to follow. And I can help on that part.

Game devs love free food too ;) I can swing whatever fee for whoever to show up, probably even some swag for them. I'll poke around my Seattle local contacts first and see if there's any volunteers.

atiari on
    edited April 2010
    atiari wrote: »

Game devs love free food too ;) I can swing whatever fee for whoever to show up, probably even some swag for them. I'll poke around my Seattle local contacts first and see if there's any volunteers.

Exactly. I'll shoot some e-mails around (maybe when this is a bit more planned out) and see what happens.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    beta_angel wrote: »
    Inexpensive is key, but that's why I also wanted to tie it in with the Pre-PAX Gaming Night. I'll be in direct contact with you to give you a better idea of my plans.

Please do. I'd love to get in contact with you and discuss anything you've got. We came up with a few ideas that would fit awesome with the Pre-PAX gaming night and the like.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Woot! I'm glad to hear that you guys are carrying on the tradition! If there's anything I can do to help, keep me posted! The Pre-PAX Dinner was definitely something that has brought us all together for so long, and indeed something would feel missing without it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited April 2010
    Woot! I'm glad to hear that you guys are carrying on the tradition! If there's anything I can do to help, keep me posted! The Pre-PAX Dinner was definitely something that has brought us all together for so long, and indeed something would feel missing without it.

I absolutely agree and that's why I talked to Jessica last year about making sure it kept on.

Thank you for the offer to help, it's much appreciated. :)

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Posting to keep my eye on this. As everyone knows, a good meal is very important before a pub crawl.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am defiantly down for this. last year i was unable to attend. but if you need any help with anything thats within my abilities ill be glad to help

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Pre-PAX Dinner has died of dysentery.

(Sign me up! Unconfirmed until everything is booked though)

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • FinnbarrFinnbarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds delightful and delicious. Hopefully i will be able to attend.

Finnbarr on
    ~Finnbarr
    Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh cool, I was just asking about this in IRC yesterday. Glad to see someone picked it up.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    me and a few friends who went last year were poking around the idea of contacting Gameworks to see about renting out the space for a few hours. for those who havent been, its a giant arcade kitty-corner from the WSTCC. 2 bars, a large-ish "banquet" area and at least a thousand games to play :)

just a thought.

edg2000 on
    Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for planning a new dinner. I'll definitely be wanting to join. I met some cool people at the East dinner.

Rdr on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be there and I will be super helpful as always.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Assuming the PAX-Train arrives in time for whenever the dinner is, id love to be there! Missed out on all the comunity stuff last year, so looking forward to just diving head first into the deep end of PAX this year. Iif I drown, i drowned in PAX sooooooo worth it! :D

Slipstream0 on
  • mintyduckmintyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My husband and I have never done the pre-PAX dinner, but we did the pre-PAX gaming night at the Sheraton at East and had an amazing time, so want to get out to more of these events. Hope to be there!

mintyduck on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in!
    Let's hope it isn't as expensive as last year though.
    If you guys need help with anything, let me know!

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edg2000 wrote: »
    me and a few friends who went last year were poking around the idea of contacting Gameworks to see about renting out the space for a few hours. for those who havent been, its a giant arcade kitty-corner from the WSTCC. 2 bars, a large-ish "banquet" area and at least a thousand games to play :)

just a thought.

I'm not in charge of planning the thing, but as a potential attendee I would hate to have it at GameWorks. To be honest that place unimpresses the hell out of me. A lot of the games don't work, the service is terrible, the prices are high, and the food is mediocre. If it ended up at GameWorks I would be pretty disappointed.

I would much rather we find a space like the old venue where we have the freedom to choose how to use the space, what food to get, what games to play, etc. That's what I would like to see as someone who may or may not buy a ticket.
    Assuming the PAX-Train arrives in time for whenever the dinner is, id love to be there! Missed out on all the comunity stuff last year, so looking forward to just diving head first into the deep end of PAX this year. Iif I drown, i drowned in PAX sooooooo worth it! :D

The last few years, the PAXTrain has not arrived in time for the PPD. It gets into Seattle at 8:45pm if it's on time, and it frequently isn't. So my advice is not to plan on it.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    edg2000 wrote: »

just a thought.

I'm not in charge of planning the thing, but as a potential attendee I would hate to have it at GameWorks. To be honest that place unimpresses the hell out of me. A lot of the games don't work, the service is terrible, the prices are high, and the food is mediocre. If it ended up at GameWorks I would be pretty disappointed.

I would much rather we find a space like the old venue where we have the freedom to choose how to use the space, what food to get, what games to play, etc. That's what I would like to see as someone who may or may not buy a ticket.

The last few years, the PAXTrain has not arrived in time for the PPD. It gets into Seattle at 8:45pm if it's on time, and it frequently isn't. So my advice is not to plan on it.

We'll see what happens. I'm still waiting for an email from beta_angel and the others planning this so they can hear my idea and see how viable it is ;)

atiari on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree about GameWorks being subpar.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Agreed, Gameworks is awful.

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2010
    We'll see what happens. I'm still waiting for an email from beta_angel and the others planning this so they can hear my idea and see how viable it is ;)

Check your PMs. :)

Also, just to make a point: While i've enjoyed gameworks in the past, I would not use it for this. It's a neat idea, because it fits the whole "gaming" aspect into the dinner, however, for the price...it won't be worth it. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
    edited April 2010
    Yea, Gameworks is a great place to go...on someone else's dime. I went there and paid for my own food and gaming and left really disappointed. When I went for ArenaNet's party in 2008, I was pretty happy. That's how it goes.

atiari on
    edited April 2010
    Yea, Gameworks is a great place to go...on someone else's dime. I went there and paid for my own food and gaming and left really disappointed. When I went for ArenaNet's party in 2008, I was pretty happy. That's how it goes.

ArenaNet's party was awesome. I won a mini USB lava lamp. :P

Things like that are the only reason I really go to Gameworks anymore. My friends and I usually go there once during PAX to eat but I think I'm going to put an end to that tradition.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Gameworks is okay to go hang out at when it's not PAX. During PAX the place is so packed and insane that it's just not worth it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Gameworks is okay to go hang out at when it's not PAX. During PAX the place is so packed and insane that it's just not worth it.

Or its great to hang out with when its packed with gamedevs ;)

I think the moral of the story is that a lot of us do not want to do GameWorks when it comes to the PrePax dinner, and I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Between the minds of beta_angel and the others that were hand chosen to carry on the tradition, and a few of us who are joining in to help, I'm sure there will be a great dinner hosted.

atiari on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First time i've heard about the Pre-PAX dinner. Whats it about?

Gene Parmesan on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First time i've heard about the Pre-PAX dinner. Whats it about?

Eating delicious food with the people we have met through these very forums. We also use the opportunity
    to trade buttons and to prepare for the pub crawl that immediately follows the dinner. It seems that this year
    there may be a gaming element as well.

Also, it's about $30.

But it is totally worth it!:mrgreen:

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
This discussion has been closed.