As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    Hammer24Hammer24 Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    ah ok

Hammer24 on
  • Options
    oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ok, I will! I'll bring treats too! Homemade marshmallows, anyone?

oxfroggy on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oxfroggy wrote: »
    Actually, Aramark is the food supplier for the WSCTC, and they really look down on bringing in outside food. As such, the Convention Center security will not allow it in.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm kinda-sorta a transsexual. As such, the name and sex on my driver's license don't exactly match up with what I present as. The picture works, if you kind of squint, but still.

How much of a problem is that gonna be for me at PAX?

Yue Fairchild on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    oxfroggy wrote: »
    Actually, Aramark is the food supplier for the WSCTC, and they really look down on bringing in outside food. As such, the Convention Center security will not allow it in.

if you keep it stealthy you should be fine... So far the cookie brigade has done fine every year and they SELL cookies & other treats.

Also, Oxfroggy, if you're looking for other activities that will help you meet people, check out the cookie Brigade thread if you want to make or sell delicious treats for Child's Play. :D

Good Luck!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Technically the cookie brigade doesn't sell cookies, so much as they give away cookies and accept donations for Child's Play. But it is an operation that requires stealth. You could say they're charity ninjas that give away treats.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm kinda-sorta a transsexual. As such, the name and sex on my driver's license don't exactly match up with what I present as. The picture works, if you kind of squint, but still.

They will very rarely if /ever/ check your ID for anything at the convention center.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

You'll need to present a picture ID to check out games from the freeplay areas. I suspect 99% of the Enforcers are not even going to blink at any discrepancy (assuming it is actually your ID and you give 45 second explanation), but this is probably a good question for BigRed.

Or, just have someone else in your group hand over their ID. In three PAX shows I don't think I've ever had to present my ID. Well, maybe that one bar on the pub crawl, but that was kind of a fluke since I was dressed as a teenage Harry Potter fanboi.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only time that I have anything to do with ID is if you get a BYOC seat, even then an explanation will work.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    FantusFantus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are infants allowed in for free?

Fantus on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Children under 6 do not require a pass. Check the OP under Handicap/Limited Mobility/Children for more information.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    badjujumanbadjujuman They call me Kotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I so want to start planning to go to PAX Prime and PAX East, but I'm going to be graduating in May. I can't plan out travel costs or even if I'll be able to go, for the simple fact that I don't know where I'll be around that time.

Am I the only one having this issue?

badjujuman on
    "You wanna go Matrix?" - Kris Straub
    "Yeah, I wanna go Matrix." - Scott Kurtz
    (Scott Kurtz panel - PAX East 2010)
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had this problem two years ago. Are you waiting to find a job, hear from grad schools, or something else entirely?

You do have quite a bit of time, still. I can't imagine all the decent hotels being all booked up or PAX selling out particularly soon.

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    badjujumanbadjujuman They call me Kotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lynx_ wrote: »
    I had this problem two years ago. Are you waiting to find a job, hear from grad schools, or something else entirely?

You do have quite a bit of time, still. I can't imagine all the decent hotels being all booked up or PAX selling out particularly soon.
    I'm in the process of applying for jobs right now. I'm not looking in one particular area so I could end up anywhere.

*Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

badjujuman on
    "You wanna go Matrix?" - Kris Straub
    "Yeah, I wanna go Matrix." - Scott Kurtz
    (Scott Kurtz panel - PAX East 2010)
  • Options
    Scoot54Scoot54 Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    This years PAX East was my first PAX experience, and after having such a good time it really makes me want to go to PAX Prime. I wanted to know if what I didn't like about PAX East should be concerns about attending PAX Prime. Hopefully, those who have attended both can help me out.

Does PAX Prime:
    -Have really long lines. To get into certain panels at PAX east I'd have to get there in line 1.5 hours before the panel.
    -Crowding, lots of people don't bother me, but not enough space for all of those people in the exhibition hall/hallways is what gets me.

I still had a great time at East, just wanted a bit of information before making the much longer Trek out to Seattle. Thanks.

Scoot54 on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Scoot54 wrote: »
    This years PAX East was my first PAX experience, and after having such a good time it really makes me want to go to PAX Prime. I wanted to know if what I didn't like about PAX East should be concerns about attending PAX Prime. Hopefully, those who have attended both can help me out.

Does PAX Prime:
    -Have really long lines. To get into certain panels at PAX east I'd have to get there in line 1.5 hours before the panel.
    -Crowding, lots of people don't bother me, but not enough space for all of those people in the exhibition hall/hallways is what gets me.

I still had a great time at East, just wanted a bit of information before making the much longer Trek out to Seattle. Thanks.

Due to our experience with the venue in Seattle things run a little smoother at Prime, but when you pack that many people into a place and limit the amount of seats in a theater, there will always be lines, and there will always be crowding.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    East and Prime are fairly similar in both of those regards. Last Prime attendance was capped (just like East) so expect there to be lots of people waiting for things. The one thing that might make Prime a bit easier on you is that the exhibition hall will be MUCH bigger, so that'll spread out the crowds a bit.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Swear I'm going to unleash hell on all these line complainers. I know you're just one person but the sheer amount of complaints of lines at an event that sold out and has expected attendance of 60,000 people fills me with rage.

Or I will invent a fast track lane for people who don't want to wait in line that sends them right out the third floor window. That would actually also solve the crowding issue. Two birds with one stone!

Goose! on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eh. Lines suck, and if you've never been to a big convention before, you might balk at them because you don't know any better. I know my first year at PAX I was close to doing a /ragequit because of the crazy lines.

Goose and Stalefish speak the truth, though. There isn't really anything at PAX that isn't popular among the attendees, and with theater space and time both being finite things, lines are an inevitability. It's a bummer, but with planning, some friends, and a DS or card game, you can minimize their impact on your fun.

And hey, you don't even need to worry about bringing friends. We provide 50,000+ of those for you with the ticket price.

As far as the expo hall goes: it's MUCH bigger in Seattle, but there are also significantly more exhibitors. I think the attendee density in there is roughly the same.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    from the one time I went (and that was waaaay back in 2007) I remember the lines being kind of fun. I even made 20 bucks in the line for the omegathon final!

oxfroggy on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I enjoyed my time in lines, and I was flying solo for pretty much all of PAX. Hooked up with my neighboring nerds for some Magic games, some elite beat agents, etc.

Goose! on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had my buddy out for PAX 07. We got in the line 4 hours before opening. In line, we hooked up with another pair sitting by us and got a game of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit going. We finished 5 minutes before they let us in. THAT was a great line.

Just be glad it's not still in the Meydinbauer. They didn't have a queue room, we had to form lines outside, around corners, and several blocks into downtown. For the concerts, this took place in the dark!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any suggestions for parking near the Sheraton? I'd like to park as close as possible, and the valet parking there has gone up again to $40/day..

GeeCee on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »
    Any suggestions for parking near the Sheraton? I'd like to park as close as possible, and the valet parking there has gone up again to $40/day..

There really aren't a whole lot of good options. Most of the parking garages aren't 24 hour access and you're still looking at close to $30/day using them.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Hyatt's self parking lot looks like a pretty pro option.. $28 a day, 24 hours. http://www.standardparkingnw.com/locations/lot.asp?id=39

GeeCee on
  • Options
    Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much spending money to bring? I don't know how much will actually be for sale and stuff, so...

Yue Fairchild on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you wanna be super safe and have the ability to pretty much buy anything, bring $400-500, but really, it all depends on how much and what you want to buy.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In relation to the "how much spending money" question do the vendors at PAX tend to accept credit cards or are there a number of cash only sellers?

macbitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PA merch booth should take plastic (they have for the past couple of years), but don't count on any others to do so as well.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There are lots of banks in the area, as well as ATMs on site. The latter will likely run out of cash if history is any indication, though.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    John-311John-311 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Hyatt's self parking lot looks like a pretty pro option.. $28 a day, 24 hours. http://www.standardparkingnw.com/locations/lot.asp?id=39

Thanks for this! I parked in a bad parking lot last year and it cost me a ton. I'll park in the Hyatt lot this year.

To contribute, I have an Xbox 360 with nearly all Rock Band DLC. It'd be cool to organize a session to play with people (not the stage with the huge line). Any thoughts on the best way to go about doing this?

John-311 on
  • Options
    ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will you guys be locking or moving the PAX East threads anytime soon?

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Options
    inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, hope I've got the correct thread for these questions. Some are pretty basic stuff, but being from Australia I don't know much about US domestic airlines etc. :)

I'm going to be on the east coast, in New Jersey, for a few days before PAX. I have flights into the US all sorted, but I have no idea where to look for flights from NJ to Seattle. What are good websites/airlines etc? I definitely need to fly, and don't mind taking red-eyes if required.

Related to that one, what's the best time to come in? Any advice on arriving on Thursday day/night vs getting an overnight flight and arriving early Friday morning? I don't usually have any issues sleeping on planes, and saving one night of accommodation does sound attractive.

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide. I am TOTALLY PUMPED to be actually getting to go to PAX.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    inocuo wrote: »
    Okay, hope I've got the correct thread for these questions. Some are pretty basic stuff, but being from Australia I don't know much about US domestic airlines etc. :)

I'm going to be on the east coast, in New Jersey, for a few days before PAX. I have flights into the US all sorted, but I have no idea where to look for flights from NJ to Seattle. What are good websites/airlines etc? I definitely need to fly, and don't mind taking red-eyes if required.

Related to that one, what's the best time to come in? Any advice on arriving on Thursday day/night vs getting an overnight flight and arriving early Friday morning? I don't usually have any issues sleeping on planes, and saving one night of accommodation does sound attractive.

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide. I am TOTALLY PUMPED to be actually getting to go to PAX.

Would definitely recommend coming in on Thursday, because, unless tradition breaks this year, PAX will start before noon on Friday, and coming on Friday is just going to be bad news for you. Get a decent night sleep then your get your ass rocked off.

As for where to look for flights, apparently Bing does fare comparison and tracking, also heard good things about Kayak. Then there's the usual suspects of Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. I'd evaluate what you're looking for as far as itinerary goes (time, money, stops, etc.) and see what routes you can get.
    ploogle wrote: »
    Will you guys be locking or moving the PAX East threads anytime soon?

I wouldn't worry, people will stop posting in those threads soon enough, then it'll be a bunch of Prime stuff.
    John-311 wrote: »
    To contribute, I have an Xbox 360 with nearly all Rock Band DLC. It'd be cool to organize a session to play with people (not the stage with the huge line). Any thoughts on the best way to go about doing this?

Good luck. I'm going to warn you right now that hotels will probably be very sensitive as far as noise complaints go (show of hands to anyone who remember the Party at Sealab Party). Sure, there are classic console hotel parties and such, but those are considerably much more volume friendly than Rock Band is. I'd leave your stuff at home to be honest. So much else more to do while you're there.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Would definitely recommend coming in on Thursday, because, unless tradition breaks this year, PAX will start before noon on Friday, and coming on Friday is just going to be bad news for you. Get a decent night sleep then your get your ass rocked off.
    Thanks, awesome advice. I'll look into coming out on the Thursday.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • Options
    macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PA merch booth should take plastic (they have for the past couple of years), but don't count on any others to do so as well.
    There are lots of banks in the area, as well as ATMs on site. The latter will likely run out of cash if history is any indication, though.

Good to know, thanks. Maybe the ATMs can last a bit longer if more people know to bring plenty of cash. With the cookie brigade and such was already figuring plenty of small bills would be good to have.

macbitt on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

As a local NJer, I would take a look at Philadelphia (PHL) flights as well. A good two-thirds of NJ is within 90 minutes of PHL, so as long as you are not very far north, it should be an option. If you have any NJ-specific questions feel free to PM me as I'm glad to help outsiders see the good side of the state (read: beyond the view you get flying into Newark International Airport, which would lead you to believe the entire state is a chemical factory).

As far as when you should fly, I have never been to PAX Prime, but the first thing I learned from PAX East is that PAX unofficially starts Thursday night. You have community events such as the pre-PAX dinner, pub crawl, and hotel lobby gaming, as well as industry-sponsored parties. At PAX East on Thursday night there was a Red Dead Redemption party, and I think there was also a Playstation Move party? I imagine Prime would have similar industry stuff, but if an actual Prime veteran could clarify that would be helpful. Regardless, even if it's only community events, there is a LOT of fun to be had on Thursday night. If I'm going to spend all that time flying across the country, I say it's worth it to get the full experience.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Good luck. I'm going to warn you right now that hotels will probably be very sensitive as far as noise complaints go (show of hands to anyone who remember the Party at Sealab Party). Sure, there are classic console hotel parties and such, but those are considerably much more volume friendly than Rock Band is. I'd leave your stuff at home to be honest. So much else more to do while you're there.

Also note that many hotel tvs will not have hook ups for your systems. So keep that in mind.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Definitely, 10am doors, 6 or 8am lineup on Friday (don't miss it!)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Also note that many hotel tvs will not have hook ups for your systems. So keep that in mind.
    While this was the case for many years, AFAIK, all the the hotels on the PAX list now have flat panel tv's. The advantage there is that they have more than just the co-ax input, including side access RCA 3 or 5 component and back access HDMI interface ports. They can't block these, and these tv's always have an INPUT button on them!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
This discussion has been closed.