As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brutal Legend - Monday Night Combat is apparently BL with GUNS

• Sacred FatmanSacred Fatman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    im pretty sure that light of dawn does not get rid of the healing, at least for the higharchy units.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Colly LeslieColly Leslie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I can get all the concept art by playing practice matches right? I don't even have all the Ironheade art and its gnawing away at my brain.

Yes you can get them in practice matches. You get them by summoning a whole bunch of whatever unit it is. The stage art is from spending a lot of time DT'd with the stage.

Hey blackgenma, the Tour Book specifically states Thunderhogs don't stack. Just a head's up.
    Morkia we never 1v1 anymore. :cry:

PA Forums, we never 4 vs 4 anymore :cry:

But that's ok; We'll make it happen.

Mangus, myself, OpponentJester and xterm just had some 2 on 2's.

Ah, nice. We'll have to make it happen then. :^:

Colly Leslie on
  • Colly LeslieColly Leslie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    blackgenma wrote: »
    I think the tour book is lying. I'm dead serious. it wouldn't make any sense anyway, seeing that tainted coil can create a cumulative heal buff. I know the chances of it are slim, but it's worth testing anyway,

We'll get Lemmy and the gang together on Friday and slap the shit out of a Headbanger on Friday and see what happens. I still need to test Light of Dawn on a Screamwagon. I can confirm it doesn't work on the Fire (production) buff.

And in the event I have two Screamwagons, they're better off buffing different things I say. :D

time to fall, who art thou?

Screamwagons don't stack the same buff anyway. Different buffs stack, but the same ones don't.

And a coil army with 3 wagons out all on different buffs is a frightening thing indeed.

Colly Leslie on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tim Curry + Dirgible = lulz.

Why did I EVER think the demons could win?!
    It's YOUR fault minions! You're the reason we're going to lose today!
    Some of them DO wear nice corsets... :winky:

Actually, pretty much everything Doviculous says is awesome.

Living in the land of the Metal GOOOOODS!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • blackgenmablackgenma Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    im pretty sure that light of dawn does not get rid of the healing, at least for the higharchy units.

yes it does. I've used it on them, and it removes the healing buffs on all units. the light around them disappears.

anyway, thanks for all the info Morkai, I don't think I have any more questions regarding Ironheade.

as for what I have been up to mickey, nothing interesting other than wasting time and doing school related crap.

blackgenma on
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” - Albert Einstein
  • MorkaiMorkai Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

yes it does. I've used it on them, and it removes the healing buffs on all units. the light around them disappears.

anyway, thanks for all the info Morkai, I don't think I have any more questions regarding Ironheade.

as for what I have been up to mickey, nothing interesting other than wasting time and doing school related crap.

Haha, No problem, bro.

Only me sharing all this information is a double edged sword.
    People will now read what I've said religously and take me out like THAT *snap*

Morkai on
    edited April 2010
    Morkai wrote: »

Haha, No problem, bro.

It needs to happen, so people can deal with King Brim and cannibal.

My brother...he loved Battlezone 1 and 2. But he doesn't play BL. He just watches, because he has deemed it "too crazy."

Cantido on
  • MorkaiMorkai Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Haha, No problem, bro.

My brother...he loved Battlezone 1 and 2. But he doesn't play BL. He just watches, because he has deemed it "too crazy."

Well, even with my current tactics, Cannibal is always a strong challenge, he'll say the same about me.

Brim is just an IH Knockoff. A lot of what I see from good IH Players are trickle down, and recycled tactics.

I do enjoy seeing some of my strategy put into action by other players, though. It makes me feel like I'm a celebrity in the community.

Morkai on
    edited April 2010

Haha, No problem, bro.

Well, even with my current tactics, Cannibal is always a strong challenge, he'll say the same about me.

Brim is just an IH Knockoff. A lot of what I see from good IH Players are trickle down, and recycled tactics.

I do enjoy seeing some of my strategy put into action by other players, though. It makes me feel like I'm a celebrity in the community.

The OP guide is how Kor and I got to talk to Brad Muir about the balance patch. Double Fine should hire us all.

As testers.

For Brutal Legend 2. 8-)

EDIT - Y'know what I'd have? Homage to Battlezone. Eddie gets a new nuke solo called The Thumper, causing an earthquake "wave" on the map from his location knocking enemies into the air, causing damage while being hilarious and awesome.

Cantido on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope there's a Brutal Legend 2 and that you become testers. You can tell them to make the campaign twice as long. Also more Lemmy.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • time to falltime to fall __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

Haha, No problem, bro.

Morkai what can I be? Better be good! By the way rod is back on and he got stomped on by me and xterm. O well as for king brim he’s a cool guy just disconnects too much. Cantido just try to talk to him and maybe you can get him to stop god knows I’ve tried.

time to fall on
    edited April 2010
    I'll be out and about Friday from some team games.

Also, for those joining us who never saw the first thread, this game inspired BL's multiplayer. I once got to ask Tim if hey played Sacrifice and Battlezone and Guilty Gear 2 and he said no. BL's frantic multiplayer is inspired from something much much older. But one of the four people who made Sacrifice really did work on BL. Below is the reason Eddie can fly.

Herzog Zwei

Ugh, that takes me back. I didn't give a shit about BL until close analysis of the multiplayer videos. I then flipped out and made a thread to show what it was really all about.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    you know, on the subject of Guilty Gear 2 overture, it too seems to be heavily inspired by Herzog Zwei. I once thught it was inspired by war craft 3 Dota mod, unitl I read a review of the game comparing it to Herzog Zwei. you know how you can pick up units in overture? straight of of Herzog Zwei. Diasuke Ishiwatari never stated where he originally got the Idea to make an action RTS, in a review an employee compared GG2 to Dota, so I assumed that's where he got his inspiration from, but in actuality, I could be dead wrong about that.

for the hell of it, here's an excerpt of the review in question.
    The game that most closely resembles the Guilty Gear 2 experience is Herzog Zwei, the original action/RTS masterpiece. You've got two players starting out at opposite ends of a fairly small map, their goal being to destroy each other's home base. New units are manufactured in your base by expending the game's currency, and can then be sent to different spots on the map, either to guard your territory or attack your opponent's. Meanwhile, the players themselves control avatars who move around the map like regular units and get mixed up in all the fighting.

Does my comparison seem too far-fetched to you? You haven't heard the half of it. Just as in Zwei, a number of smaller bases are scattered on the map, and capturing them provides you a steady stream of extra currency. Your avatar can switch between walking and running modes (think Zwei's robot/plane modes), and can also pick up units and carry them around, exactly as in Zwei. Make no mistake about it: either this is the greatest coincidence in the history of videogames, or whoever pitched the idea for Overture to ArcSys was a huge Herzog Zwei fan.

Naturally, there are of course many minor differences between the two games, but there is also a major one. In Herzog Zwei the "action" part was rather limited. Your mecha could open fire at enemy units, but good players rarely did so as it was seriously underpowered. In Overture this aspect is reversed -- your avatar's a walking slaughterhouse, and using his fighting skills to the full is vital for success. An expert player can tear through half a dozen enemies in seconds, and almost instantly reverse the flow of an engagement.

But that is not to say the focus here is on the combat. Because even if you fully master the fighting aspect, you can still lose to a weaker opponent who's better on the tactical front. Whereas Herzog Zwei was more about strategy than action, Overture is balanced right in the middle of the two opposing disciplines. On the one hand your avatar is your more powerful unit, so it only makes sense to stay constantly in the thick of battle, killing as many enemies as possible. But since battles are taking place all over the map, which one should you join? And how long should you stay there, before moving on to another one? And how the hell am I supposed to switch to the command-issuing menu and guide my troops around the map, when I am locked in mortal combat against some madly skilled Japanese Guilty Gear fan, getting the snot beat out of me while totally awesome (though highly distracting) heavy metal music blares in the background?

myep.

blackgenma on
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” - Albert Einstein
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I just started playing this on the good ole PS3. Best as I can tell, seems like playing the single player is a good primer to learning how to control the game before you do any multi. Correct?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    So I just started playing this on the good ole PS3. Best as I can tell, seems like playing the single player is a good primer to learning how to control the game before you do any multi. Correct?

Eeeexactly. Now when you get to the Stage Battles, that's what multiplayer is. Then you can start using the beginning of the OP to get a handle on the controls. Just read the part called on Controlling Your Army.

AI practice is available in Multiplayer, but skipping to that blows massive spoilers. The OP is carefully written to avoid the major spoilers.

And of course, you can ask questions here. Nearly all the top players reside here.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    damn my xbox live gold just ran out, I have to start again with a new account. at least I broke the top 50, and get to start my record over.

Sacred Fatman on
    edited April 2010
    Playing the Supreme Commander 2 demo gives me an idea of how to implement a mini map without being intrusive.

Yes the screen will still have nothing on it. During flight, A would set/reset a Summon Flag, pressing X would toggle a simple 2-d dimensional map, and pressing Y would command Rally Army. (So those who things would no longer be solos.)

The map appearing by pressing X would be simple black and white in the style of the building menu. Squads would be represented by numbers and you can quickly press A on one and press A on the spot you want them to move. Holding A would bring up the wheel so you can look at what units are there if you just want to command one.

Because DF did a REALLY good job of putting story behind every itty bitty gameplay mechanic the avatar would talk through a walkie talkie when commanding with the map.

Eddie (setting beacon): Right there!
    Lita: How did you do that?
    Eddie:...I don't know.

Tim Schafer just stomped the mystery. Shark Robot's Eddie and Ophelia shirts are legit as can be. He wasn't sure himself. Eddie's shirt looks good, but Ophelia's just doesn't look right to me.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Guys. I'm so ashamed. I've been playing this forever and that video in the OP just showed me you can hold Y and micromange in the air. I've been doing that on the ground the whole time. But it just goes to show you how little you need it.

Here's another from that guy.

2 on 2 IH vs TC

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    you didn't know that?

that means you didn't watch Kor's videos.

I don't like to use it often because it's somewhat inaccurate though.

blackgenma on
    edited April 2010
    I think I almost finished the single player game in one sitting. I skipped pretty much all the exploration and side bits, and just went from mission to mission. Last story mission I did I
    Beat Ophelia and wrecked her base.

I am however missing like a ton of the solo's and don't have many upgrades. Is this going to bit me in the butt as I get towards end game? Am I at the end game? I feel like I am based on how quickly this story is moving and whatnot, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm playing on normal is that helps.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    I think I almost finished the single player game in one sitting. I skipped pretty much all the exploration and side bits, and just went from mission to mission. Last story mission I did I

I am however missing like a ton of the solo's and don't have many upgrades. Is this going to bit me in the butt as I get towards end game? Am I at the end game? I feel like I am based on how quickly this story is moving and whatnot, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm playing on normal is that helps.

You have one missions left, and then you beat it. Go do side stuff!

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2010

You have one missions left, and then you beat it. Go do side stuff!

Your going to face what we call the Drowning Doom's Wall of Death. Lots of units surrounded by every debuffer under the sun.

Find the solos Bring it on Home and Light of Dawn at the very least or you'll have problems.

Also, Battersmith had Rally Army and the Summon Flag, which are important.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    i did the drowning doom mission on brutal without light of dawn or bring it on home. just rockcrusher her army and keep on remaking guys and you will be fine.

Sacred Fatman on
    edited April 2010
    I really wish I hadn't waited so long to start playing some multiplayer. I guess I just burnt myself out on the campaign.

Anyway, been messing around with tainted coil. I played one guy who, instead of trying to capture any geysers, Just stayed at his base almost the entire time, massing nothing but nuns. I got all the geysers, built up an army, and waited for him to move out. I swept in and took out his stage before his nun brigade could even run back in time.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I really wish I hadn't waited so long to start playing some multiplayer. I guess I just burnt myself out on the campaign.

Anyway, been messing around with tainted coil. I played one guy who, instead of trying to capture any geysers, Just stayed at his base almost the entire time, massing nothing but nuns. I got all the geysers, built up an army, and waited for him to move out. I swept in and took out his stage before his nun brigade could even run back in time.

I have a texting pad, which I use to help out the noobs. In such a situation, I know they have no idea what they're doing so I tell them "Try the Y button on your ladies!"

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Well, he was ranked 7, and he did have one squad of soulkissers, so I just figured he really liked nuns.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2010
    mikey just confirmed the effects on Light of Dawn on a Screamwagon.

It stops whatever buff is on, but SWITCHING the buff works regarless of Light of Dawn. I thought it simply only worked on Fire (Production) but that's because I switched to it. I'll add a part on Buzzsaw and countering it too.

I forgot to test Thunderhog stacking...

Also, Lee Petty, art director for BL, would like you to know how much he loves S&M. Note that the original main character was going to be a Macho-Lemmy. Wallpaper-worthy stuff in here!
    http://www.destructoid.com/a-charming-skull-laden-kickass-world-the-art-of-brutal-legend-169412.phtml
    Well, from where I'm sitting, Double Fine has always gotten art design right. Psychonauts, of course, did just about everything right, and Brutal Legend kept up that tradition for the HD crowd, and in style. So, what's next? Ha, as if I was going to get an answer to that.

"Just keep an eye on Double Fine. We’ve got some really cool top secret stuff going on right now that I can’t wait for people to see."

I don't care anymore, as long as whatever they do next is fucking SICK. But they've shown America that THEY CAN DO MULTIPLAYER. I don't want them to stop doing multiplayer games.

There's some kind of trick I keep falling for in Battered Bluff, and it always ends with me not being able to get a single geyser. The opponent intentionally plants the summon flag, or orders units to attack my guys directly, at the first geyser I try to take. No matter how many I kill, the geyser stays red. By the time I look at the time wasted, they have the other two geysers and I have none.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    what do you mean by switching the buff works? you mean when light of dawn is performed, and your buff stops working, simply change your buff, and it will activate?

that's retarded. *face palms* but thanks for confirming that.

blackgenma on
    edited April 2010
    Finished this last night. I really enjoyed the single player. I'm playing on PS3, is the online community alive at all?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    Finished this last night. I really enjoyed the single player. I'm playing on PS3, is the online community alive at all?

LIVE is kicking and screaming. PSN, not so much. It's full of Trophy whores. But these were the Ps3 players here. GameFAQs has some more too.
    PSN GAMERTAGS
    kurod007
    Toxic_Cizzle
    Malechai
    Discomite
    Antihippy
    Lord_Asmodeu
    xbigdoser
    lobus
    TheGerbil

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Well, it's only $20 new at Amazon right now. Maybe I should just buy it on the 360 if the PSN community is no fun.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    Well, it's only $20 new at Amazon right now. Maybe I should just buy it on the 360 if the PSN community is no fun.

If you bought a fresh one already, I'd say you supported Double Fine enough. :lol: Blockbuster is getting rid of their rental copies, selling them for 10 bucks used. Grab one and get the DLC!

I admit that I bought a second new copy for 20 bucks. It was a gift for my little cousin.

And while you wait for a copy, AI practice is still awesome to do in multiplayer. You can experiment with all three factions.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Well, the PS3 version I beat was borrowed, and I like it so much I'm gonna buy a copy for myself. So I'm not really invested in the game yet.

I'm assuming the xbox version will look just as good right?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    Well, the PS3 version I beat was borrowed, and I like it so much I'm gonna buy a copy for myself. So I'm not really invested in the game yet.

I'm assuming the xbox version will look just as good right?

Hell yes. And matchmaking works better, which is key. Getting team matches going on both machines is a bitch though.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Also, i don't know if it was broken when I downloaded one of the dlc packs or if it was a mandatory update, but the sound quality for most sounds in the PS3 version is fairly poor. The music and speech is fine, but most background FX sound pretty bad.

Apparently the 360 version doesn't have this issue.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Also, i don't know if it was broken when I downloaded one of the dlc packs or if it was a mandatory update, but the sound quality for most sounds in the PS3 version is fairly poor. The music and speech is fine, but most background FX sound pretty bad.

Apparently the 360 version doesn't have this issue.

Oh, I remember that. Back in November DF released a desperately needed balance patch for both machines, but it un-did the Ps3 sound patch unfortunately. Tim Schafer said he has a new patch, but it needs EA's approval first.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    Well glad you posted that, because this whole time I've been playing the game, I just thought the sound was screwed up and it was a bug or design decision. Wonder how good this will sound on the 360 in comparison.

In regards to the team matches and stuff, I think I might replay the game on Brutal to get a better feel for the stage battles. Normal was pretty simple and you could get by with a heavy dose of facemelter and roadies. Buffs and debuffs didn't really impact anything.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    Well glad you posted that, because this whole time I've been playing the game, I just thought the sound was screwed up and it was a bug or design decision. Wonder how good this will sound on the 360 in comparison.

In regards to the team matches and stuff, I think I might replay the game on Brutal to get a better feel for the stage battles. Normal was pretty simple and you could get by with a heavy dose of facemelter and roadies. Buffs and debuffs didn't really impact anything.

Ironheade NEEDS Battle Cry. At all times. Combine Battle Cry with the Double Teams, and you have the most powerful hits in the early game. It lasts 20 seconds and has a cooldown of 30. You need to use it all the time, and combine it with Double Teams.

For example, Battle Cry'd Razor Girls Double Team will kill an avatar in three shots. Each kill is 50 fans for you.

If I expect someone aggressive, I'll make my first unit Razor Girls, and Battle Cry them on the start. If someone comes near, I cast Anvil of Burden, which drags them to the ground. Then I Double Team and finish them off.

And of course, Drowning Doom has the Wall of Death, which is three Brides, two Organists, and a Dirigble.

Cantido on
    edited April 2010
    I'm gonna file that under, "thanks, and I'll reference it with the game in front of me" Can't say I know enough yet to follow all that right off the bat.

I can say that I enjoy this game a lot more than I thought I would.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited April 2010
    I'm gonna file that under, "thanks, and I'll reference it with the game in front of me" Can't say I know enough yet to follow all that right off the bat.

I can say that I enjoy this game a lot more than I thought I would.

Oops! The game has all the crazy strategy and scale of a full blown RTS, with all the intensity of an action game. That's me talking advanced talk.

Madness REEEEIIIIIGNS!
    surrender plz? surrender plz??? This is what I go online for? To have some kid tell me "surrender plz" at my own game?
    -TimOfLegend

Cantido on
This discussion has been closed.