As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Silent Hill 5 revealed

XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Though, frankly, the information beyond that is practically nil.
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20070420153821578090&releaseId=20070420153641406006
Yay resemblance to Silent Hill 2, and lower combat.

Xagarath on

• BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I liked everything I read.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is it just me or does it seem like SH5 would be perfect on the Wii? So scared your hand is shaking causing the mote to shake inturn causing your ingame hands to rattle D:

Zarcath on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, at least we know it wasn't the arcade game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    please let it go to 360 please let it go to 360

bongi on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's going to the 360 and the PS3? Sweet.

tyrannus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    Yamaoka also revealed that the latest instalment in the much loved survival horror franchise will head to next-gen consoles "like PS3 and Xbox 360", during an interview with German games mag GamePro.
    Why wouldn't it go to the 360?

Couscous on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like SH5 would be perfect on the Wii? So scared your hand is shaking causing the mote to shake inturn causing your ingame hands to rattle D:

Eh. Not my taste.

I'm happy to see it more like 2, though. Also curious to see what it looks like. And that reminds me, wasn't there some new Alone in the Dark game? Wonder what happened to it...

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Highly unlikly, it would require them to heavily modify the game in order to work, and it would require toned down graphics too. Seriously these OMG PUT THE GAME ON THE WII!!! posts are getting annoying. Its really not that innovative.

Apparently the game will also explore the power of daytime horrors and not just have the monsters pop out of the shadows.

Im happy that its coming out to the 360 too.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As long as the controls don't suck, I'm fine with the old camera style. If they make me move like a tank, I'm going to kill someone. SH2 had absolute position-style controls (where the thumbstick moves in accordance with the camera, rather than the character's position), right?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    As long as the controls don't suck, I'm fine with the old camera style. If they make me move like a tank, I'm going to kill someone. SH2 had absolute position-style controls (where the thumbstick moves in accordance with the camera, rather than the character's position), right?

Yes. Its been a while since I played 3, what did that have?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The camera style will also revert back to the traditional setup, instead of sharing the over-the-shoulder view from upcoming PSP adventure Silent Hill: Origins.
    Huh. Weren't they talking about using a first-person view for a while?

Elendil on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    That was the default, but it could be changed.

Elendil on
  • RingmasterBentRingmasterBent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also happy to see Origins mentioned again. Was beginning to worry it had been cancelled :)

RingmasterBent on
    ts2banner.gif
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SH4 was the best Silent Hill.

As long as Fatal Frame ends up on wii I'll be content to be SH5 for the ps3.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Yamaoka also revealed that the latest instalment in the much loved survival horror franchise will head to next-gen consoles "like PS3 and Xbox 360", during an interview with German games mag GamePro.
    Why wouldn't it go to the 360?

space elves

bongi on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully it'll be a better Silent Hill 2 in many respects. 2 was a terrible game - empty, tedious, way too easy - it just had one of the best stories in the history of the medium, let alone the franchise. Not much fun to just play though.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    tank controls or gtfo

Panda4You on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I liked the story of 3/1 more than 2, but maybe that's just because of how well they tied together.
    2 left me depressed. At least 3 had some light in all that bleakness.

3 & 2 both had the most intense moments in the entire series, too.
    3: the red hallway of death.
    2: I think he needs no introduction.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    i personally pretend that origins was never announced and doesn't exist

bongi on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, wouldn't this be great on the Wii? :roll:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To answer the AinD question earlier, the most recent release was "A New Nightmare" that produced some pretty good visuals on the PS1 and DC. Released late in the PS1's life cycle and didn't get much fanfare. There was suppose to be a new game to coincide with the "movie" but something happened to that.

I blame Bowell.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, wouldn't this be great on the Wii? :roll:

Everything's better on the Wii. Didn't you hear?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

Didn't pay any attention to it. What happened to it?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    a bloo

bloo bloo

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited April 2007
    Cult stuff is pathetic OMG SATAN-filtered-through-Japanese-pop-culture nonsense and has little or no emotional impact on me whatsoever. I enjoyed #3 largely because it looked cool; the words coming out of people's mouths had very little to do with it. Perhaps (real spoiler, I guess)
    when Harry gets killed

- but not much else.

Not trolling, I seriously don't really understand why people go so nuts over 1 & 3. They (#3 at least, I never played #1) look good - the dark world hospital was one of the very few times any horror imagery in any creative medium has ever made me feel literally physically ill - but they have precious little to do with genuine human intellect and emotion as far as I'm concerned, or any kind of thoughtful design work beyond "hey, wouldn't that look wicked cool?". No, I'll play it regardless (like I said, I enjoyed #3) but if they keep the cult stuff well away from it I'll be a lot happier.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The series has been dormant for far too long (fuck Origins, seriously). SH 4, despite having shitty gameplay (though the others aren't exactly paragons either) had a great atmosphere and an awesome story, even if it was very different from the other games.

SH is one of my favorite series, so I'm absolutely ecstatic about a next-gen version. This is one of the very few examples I can think of where graphics really can make the game better. I have no doubt it'll look absolutely amazing and that they can do some unbelievably creepy shit with new technology. I can't wait for more info.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited April 2007
    I think Origins has potential to be a great game, they said it's going to be a very "big" game in terms of what you usually see on PSP. The mood seems to be right, I don't see any corruption of the license. They're borrowing controls from RE4 (err stealing), but the controls in that game worked very well. Sure, some of the monster designs seem a little weak, but I don't see why a SH fan would have anything against origins other than "it's on a portable." Unless, of course, you don't have a PSP, then it becomes a temptation vs. money issue :)

I bet we see SH shooter on Wii if Umbrella Chronicles does well (hell, probably even if it doesn't) but I'd much rather see SH5 on a beefier system. SH was never about the controls, so why bother with the Wii?

RingmasterBent on
    ts2banner.gif
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, at least we know it wasn't the arcade game.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Whew.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited April 2007
    I really ought to finish #4. Well, play it again, I don't have a save left. I got bored to tears by the staggering amount of backtracking in the latter half of the game.

I still think it's one of the best premises (ohoho, almost a dreadful pun :oops: ) a videogame has ever had, though.

Eight Rooks on

• bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

basically, it looks like it will be fucking terrible

silent-hill-origins-20060823054124029.jpg

silent-hill-origins-20060823054134966.jpg

bongi on
    edited April 2007
    Michael Jackson?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    To answer the AinD question earlier, the most recent release was "A New Nightmare" that produced some pretty good visuals on the PS1 and DC. Released late in the PS1's life cycle and didn't get much fanfare. There was suppose to be a new game to coincide with the "movie" but something happened to that.

I blame Bowell.

Eh? Nono, it's still in production. Eden Games is developing it for Atari.

Aoi on
    edited April 2007
    Why is Tyrant in Silent Hill?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yay for not turning into a light-gun game. (Which isn't to say UC will be horrible, just not my bag.)

Darlan on
    edited April 2007
    To answer about what happened to Origins - it had some serious problems, was taken away from one team and given to another, and then disappeared off the Konami release schedule. Since then, the only real word from it was an official answer to somebody's email that said it was still on track for Europe. Things were starting to feel very bleak.

My hope is Team Silent didn't approve of the quality, caused a delay to make it better with a more talented team. That's wishful thinking though. Still, I'd be happy with an "OK" SH game on PSP if the story is there and the story is solid.

RingmasterBent on
    ts2banner.gif
    edited April 2007
    177298.jpeg

Silent Hill 1 looked bad too, really bad in some cases (flying lizard things didn't fit at all), but it didn't matter because the mood was so well done.

RingmasterBent on
    ts2banner.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

basically, it looks like it will be fucking terrible

silent-hill-origins-20060823054124029.jpg

silent-hill-origins-20060823054134966.jpg

pistol-whip the dancing zombie's weakspot?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

I blame Bowell.

Eh? Nono, it's still in production. Eden Games is developing it for Atari.

Oh really? Good. Hmm.... Now that you mention it, I think I heard that they decided to do a reboot in the middle of the reboot because the way the movie was recieved. Either way, I blame the movie.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Exar KunExar Kun __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Really happy that it will be more like Silent Hill 2.

3 and 4 were ok, but they didn't really freak me out. 2 really affected me, but I loved it in every way.

Exar Kun on
    I like pie.
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Michael Jackson?

No, there's still a bit of nose there.

D00M on
    D00M66.png