As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[!] Metal Gear Monday - MARK ALL SPOILERS, some people are still virgins in here.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I have thus far been unable to grab somebody

Square button doesn't work like it has for the past two games

Is there any pressing need to play 3 before 4? It's a prequel, I know; does it reveal anything besides Ocelot being a super pansy?
    Do you have Subsistence or vanilla MGS3?

I know in Subsistence there's a tutorial section that explains all the nuances of the new chokehold. Once you realize (and can remember) all the options at your disposal, you will be grabbing dudes all the time. (I personally got addicted to getting info from guards.)

And I would strongly recommend playing 3 before 4. Not only does some of its stuff come up later, but it's also the best in the series (in my opinion).

Vanilla MGS3 :?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Is there any pressing need to play 3 before 4? It's a prequel, I know; does it reveal anything besides Ocelot being a super pansy?

I know in Subsistence there's a tutorial section that explains all the nuances of the new chokehold. Once you realize (and can remember) all the options at your disposal, you will be grabbing dudes all the time. (I personally got addicted to getting info from guards.)

And I would strongly recommend playing 3 before 4. Not only does some of its stuff come up later, but it's also the best in the series (in my opinion).

Ouch! So no movable camera either? D:

If you can find Subsistence for cheap, I'd say the upgrade is definitely worth it!

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Ouch! So no movable camera either? D:

If you can find Subsistence for cheap, I'd say the upgrade is definitely worth it!

oh absolutely

and theres so much extra stuff, too!

unfortunately I got the essential collection so I dont have the second disk but still

the camera is SO MUCH better

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're fine with the vanilla edition: More than fine, as it's still the best game in the series.

Hell, I beat the vanilla release four times, bought the super-amazing-limited-edition of Subsistence, and beat that three times.

Any MGS3 is good MGS3. :^:

Kami on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played through Snake Eather, then I tried Subsistence but I was so used to the static camera that I barely even bothered moving it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played through Snake Eather, then I tried Subsistence but I was so used to the static camera that I barely even bothered moving it.

I was so mad that I couldn't slide the camera off to the side and hold it there anymore. These wimps and their "I want to see what's in front of me" whining all the time, I can't take it.

...Kidding, of course, but vanilla MGS3 was great all the same. I just went into first person before going around every corner; it made things a lot more tense.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    soooo..... NA IS GETTING THE GOOD PEACE WALKER BUNDLE WITH THE CAMO PSP!

YUUUUSSSSSSSS

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I found this set from Hori if you already have a PSP but still want some PW goodies.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ooh nice

want dat faceplate

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love the Special PSP box. Big Boss with a FAL in one had, an RPK in the other and 3 (THREE) RPGs strapped to his back.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why would you chock someone in MGS3 anyway? Especially when you can knifey knifey knifey knifey.

I enjoy practicing the more difficult to pull off moves, so they're actually useful even if the situation is easy.

For example, you COULD just knock out a guard in MGS4 from a prone position with the tranq gun like a n00b, but why do that when you can take their gun apart, hold them up, and then pat them down for items and knock them unconcious by strangling their testicles.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Not as pressing as MGS1 or MGS2, but a fair amount of story comprehension depends on you having played MGS3.

Also, as previously mentioned, it has the best story in the whole series.

So yes, you should play 3 before 4.
    Why would you chock someone in MGS3 anyway? Especially when you can knifey knifey knifey knifey.
    Or better yet, Patriot Patriot Patriot. :P

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The question at the beginning of the game threw me

[This is my first time playing a MGS game!]
    [I like MGS1!]
    [I like MGS2!]

Ummm, well... I like both of those games and this isn't my first time playing

What the fuck is it asking me this for

The second one had better graphics, I guess...?

*watching 20 minute intro, until the character voiced by David Hayter lands in the jungle and pulls off his mask to reveal...

Raiden*

WHAT THE FUCK

NO

RESET

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hahaha

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fantastic.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ha ha ha, aw. You get a really useful item out of it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To bring up the argument of which game to play, 3 or 4 first, I'll leave you with this.

Do you want the shit for desert or for the first course?

It's best just to pretend peace walker is 4.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    To bring up the argument of which game to play, 3 or 4 first, I'll leave you with this.

man what

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I'm replaying four and reminded that I never quite got
    The whole deal with Liquid Ocelot. Was he ever Liquid, was it all nanomachines, what the hell was going on there?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

man what

I wouldn't go as far as calling it shit, but yeah, 4 was simultaneously really awesome and really disappointing.

Also, Josh, having beaten 2 you should check out these writeups on the game. I also posted these in the livestream thread but I don't know if you're following that.
    http://www.insertcredit.com/features/dreaming2/index2.html
    http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM1.htm

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    both of those write ups are pretentious wankery

oh, and tim rodgers goes on for 5 pages about meaningless shit, what a surprise

Nuzak on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everytime someone posts "Driving Off The Map" I die a little inside.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    So I'm replaying four and reminded that I never quite got
    The whole deal with Liquid Ocelot. Was he ever Liquid, was it all nanomachines, what the hell was going on there?
    It's left kind of open as to how exactly this happened, but a lot of people believe he was actually being posessed by Liquid in MGS2. The reason for this is because Ocelot suddenly has a bionic arm during the final fight of MGS4, so people have come to the conclusion that some time between MGS2 and MGS4 he has Liquid's arm removed, replaced and then continued to act under the Liquid persona to fool the Patriots. This is never properly explained in-game however (and the MGS4 Database handles the whole thing horribly), so I guess it's one of those things where it's left up to you to decide.

Igort on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's wrong with Driving Off The Map?

At the very least, the image comparisons are enlightening.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I won't contest that they're rambly and unwieldy, but DTG in particular has some pretty valuable insight. It definitely increased my appreciation of the game after reading it.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

:?

It's funny how the latest Metal Gear game is always shit apparently in comparison to the upcoming ones.

First everyone shat all over MGS2, and now 4 is apparently the new whipping boy for the diehards. Both were excellent games. I understand the criticisms of both, but there's nothing in either, other than long cutscenes, that is a massive turn off for the majority of fans. Kojima knows his formula.

As for Ocelot:
    The execution could have been handled better, but it just went to show that Ocelot was a true back stabbing wild card. Many people assume he's secretly a 'hero'. No, he's an enormous cock who most likely raped Meryl, tortured hundreds, and murdered countless others. It just so happened his hero and mentor was a man who was the enemy of the Patriots, so Ocelot was willing to go to ANY means to destroy them. He still wanted to fight and kill Snake if he could, simply because of his Ocelot's pride. Basically, he took advantage of the fact that the Patriots were AI. Give them the same problem (Liquid Snake), and they'll respond with the same solution, i.e., Foxdie. Ocelot did that because he knew the Patriots would send Snake after him, one way or another. The Patriots weren't counting on Snake having a version of the Virus that could kill THEM however, but Ocelot did.

Not to mention that,
    Nanomachines
    as a deus ex machina only explained around three major points. It was not the crazy continuity glue some assume that it is.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But there are no complaints against MGS3
    It's perfect.
    PERFECT!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    It's perfect.
    PERFECT!

Ha ha, not quite. I know quite a few who complain that 3 had the weakest 'unit' bosses in the series.
    There was an early spoiler leak about the bosses on IGN and people flipped their collective shit over the 'rampant stupidity' of the Cobras.

Do I really need to explain, "I'M COVERED IN BEES!"

Yes, Snake and The Boss were the shit. But Volgin was nothing special, and niether were the Cobras. They were servicable with the exception of The End.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's perfect.
    PERFECT!

Ha ha, not quite. I know quite a few who complain that 3 had the weakest 'unit' bosses in the series.
    There was an early spoiler leak about the bosses on IGN and people flipped their collective shit over the 'rampant stupidity' of the Cobras.

Yes, Snake and The Boss were the shit. But Volgin was nothing special, and niether were the Cobras. They were servicable with the exception of The End.

If the people who complained about the weakness of MGS3's bosses also complain about how the MGS1 and 2 bosses talk too much, they need to make up their minds.

Either way, I really liked The Fury. He's classy as hell.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's kind of my point. Kojima can't win. Either it's too much talky and stupid plot, or it's too shallow and mainstream. Most people either 'get' Metal Gear or they don't. I still think it's overall one of the strongest series out there. I thought 4 was a fitting end to the 'main' story. Remember folks, most game heroes get whored to death until they die in a shity game no one cares about. Thank God that didn't happened with 4, faults and all.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dreaming in an Empty Room is asinine bullshit, like pretty much everything Tim Rogers has ever written.

Driving Off the Map is pretty good though.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MGS 3 bosses are the most fun bosses, and that's all that really matters.

The only complaints about 3 that I'll accept is the original camera is clunky and will get you caught a whole bunch before you learn it, the menu load times are annoying and the healing mechanic is slightly dumb. Healing is made up for with Food though, which is a hilarious addition.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    okay dudes I have a serious problem

my ps2 wont run mgs2

when I put the disk in it never leaves the browser and it just spins forever and skips every three seconds

so it sounds like this, *WHIRRRR-SKCH-WHRRRR-SKCH-WHRRRRR-SKCH*

and it just does that until I either take the disc out or turn off the playstation

whats weird is it only does it to this game and none of my other ones

shit maybe the disc is defective

help?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

my ps2 wont run mgs2

when I put the disk in it never leaves the browser and it just spins forever and skips every three seconds

and it just does that until I either take the disc out or turn off the playstation

help?

Sounds like your disc may have warped due to heat or something, and when it spins it's off balance and hits the edges or something

Not sure what you can do about that except go buy another used copy for $5 at Gamestop and return it if it doesn't work

Oh and Xenogears of Bore, those are pretty much my precise complaints about MGS3

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

my ps2 wont run mgs2

help?

Sounds like your disc may have warped due to heat or something, and when it spins it's off balance and hits the edges or something

Not sure what you can do about that except go buy another used copy for $5 at Gamestop and return it if it doesn't work

Oh and Xenogears of Bore, those are pretty much my precise complaints about MGS3

fuuuuuuuuuck okay thanks thats what I thought

but MAN that is disappointing

I got it off amazon maybe I can return it

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's perfect.
    PERFECT!

The Boss was a shot in the nuts, Volgin + Shagohod was pimp, Volgin - Shagohod was crap, The End was great once you had some idea of what you needed to do, and the rest were just meh... Except for the Sorrow, which still has to be the creepiest fight ever... If you could even call it a fight.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    creepy unless, like me, you played through with stealth camo exclusively cutting throats and shooting people in the balls

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The thing about the Cobras, though, is that they are bosses in a game that is completely influenced by James Bond films. Did Jaws give ten minute monologues? No, he was a dude with metal teeth. He bites people for a living. The Cobras had a similar level of depth, which suited what the game was going for just fine.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TOMMY GUNNNNN

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The thing about the Cobras, though, is that they are bosses in a game that is completely influenced by James Bond films. Did Jaws give ten minute monologues? No, he was a dude with metal teeth. He bites people for a living. The Cobras had a similar level of depth, which suited what the game was going for just fine.

seriously, dudes

stop complaining

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying they didn't fit the setting. But in comparison with pretty much every other boss character out there, they were lacking in the story department.

Hell, even Python in Portable Ops had a better story than the four main Cobras.

manwiththemachinegun on