As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beer!

124»

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    Bought myself some newcastle on the way home from work last night. I'll let you know what I think. I really wish the store I buy from had a "grab bag" option for beers. Like, a 6 pack, but you get to pick 6 different beers and put them in.

That's an awesome idea. Also try Magic Hat sample packs. I'm not a fan of darker beers but when I want one, New Castle is good.

solsovly on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    solsovly wrote: »
    Bought myself some newcastle on the way home from work last night. I'll let you know what I think. I really wish the store I buy from had a "grab bag" option for beers. Like, a 6 pack, but you get to pick 6 different beers and put them in.

That's an awesome idea. Also try Magic Hat sample packs. I'm not a fan of darker beers but when I want one, New Castle is good.

Yeah, just cracked open my first Newcastle - not too shabby, was a nice refresher after work. I think my next pick is gonna be Blue Moon.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm a west coast guy, so I drink mostly products of Alaska/Oregon/California breweries, and there are some good ones to choose from.

My favorite west coast breweries are:

Stone
    Anchor
    Sierra Nevada (I'm not huge on SNPA either but I like their stout and porter well enough)
    Deschutes
    Rogue
    Full Sail
    Alaskan
    Midnight Sun (hard to get outside of Alaska/Oregon)

All of these breweries produce some really good stuff, and I'm sure you will be able to find at least one style from each that you like.

But my primary suggestion is to find a brewery or brewpub near you, get a growler (64 oz glass bottle that the brewery will fill), and try all of their styles and find a couple you like. Local beer from little breweries is usually awesome.

Boutros on
  • MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spaten Premium and Optimator are two of my long time favorites, as well as Hoegaarden and Flying Dog Hefeweizen.

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A lot of people have been recommending darker beers - ales, bitters, stouts, porters - which can be interesting (though Newcastle Brown? In the big bottles? Ewww.) There are ones I like such as Old Speckled Hen and various porters, but I've never agreed with that idea some have that proper beer=dark.

But how about trying some lager-types?

Belgian beers such as Duvel, Hoegarden, Jupiler. Any wheat beer, sometimes called 'white beer' at all.

Also the lambic (made with natural airborne yeast) beers can be good, especially the fruit ones.

French beer like Pelforth Blonde or Jenlain is great.

Also, there are some great Asian lagers like Asahi Super Dry (if you get the import, not brewed in US), Tsingtao and Ebisu/Yebisu.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, just cracked open my first Newcastle - not too shabby, was a nice refresher after work. I think my next pick is gonna be Blue Moon.

This is probably your best plan. Keep trying stuff. Some you'll like, some you won't. Some will leave you staggering around your kitchen 'cause you drank 6 bottles in 20 minutes 'cause it was so good. Not to sound too much like... that other guy, but don't worry about brands. Take a few of the names you've seen here, keep going to your store, and try any that look/sound good. Only one who's really gonna care if you like it is you.

chromdom on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mmmm. Hoegaarden. Its like ginger beer gone pro.

I haven't been following this thread in it's totality, but man - Big Rock Honey Brown - damn. Whether you have 1 bottle or sixteen, it's all good. Perfect hangin' out wid Da Boyz brew.

Sarcastro on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you're going for taste don't start with those "selective" brew beers that have over 12% alcohol content, as they mostly taste like ass and you get fucked up quickly.

And for the sake of humanity, never try a beer called Mephistopheles. It's underdeveloped and harsh as hell.

Some wonderful beers I love that may be hard to find: Dreadnaught IPA, Trappist Westvleteren 12 (my god this stuff is expensive as hell to import to the states but completely worth it on every level), Pliny The Younger/Elder

If I have no money to spare whatsoever I go with Pabst because for the price it can't be beat, especially considering it's in the same price range of certain companies that use fucking rice *cough cough*. If I'm not in the mood for Pabst I'll just go with a Rolling Rock, can't be beat for the price. If moving up from that price range I'll go with a nice Warsteiner, Guinness or Killians. I've had hundreds upon hundreds of different beers, and I can't let go the middle priced beers because of not only their price but their wonderful taste in their chosen category.

Crayon on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Mmmm. Hoegaarden. Its like ginger beer gone pro.

I haven't been following this thread in it's totality, but man - Big Rock Honey Brown - damn. Whether you have 1 bottle or sixteen, it's all good. Perfect hangin' out wid Da Boyz brew.

I'm going to be the first to say it. Hoegaarden tastes like shit. At least to me it does, so do not assume it is good, it really is one of those "you hate it or love it" beers.

Comahawk on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »
    A lot of people have been recommending darker beers - ales, bitters, stouts, porters - which can be interesting (though Newcastle Brown? In the big bottles? Ewww.) There are ones I like such as Old Speckled Hen and various porters, but I've never agreed with that idea some have that proper beer=dark.

But how about trying some lager-types?

Belgian beers such as Duvel, Hoegarden, Jupiler. Any wheat beer, sometimes called 'white beer' at all.

Also the lambic (made with natural airborne yeast) beers can be good, especially the fruit ones.

French beer like Pelforth Blonde or Jenlain is great.

Also, there are some great Asian lagers like Asahi Super Dry (if you get the import, not brewed in US), Tsingtao and Ebisu/Yebisu.

Funny you mention that, had a few people over last night - one fo them brought some Old Speckled Hen. I tried a few sips, but it wasn't for me. I know its not suppose to be bubbly, but it just tasted flat. Though my friend was saying thats better because you can taste the hops in it, but either way I just don't think its for me.

I also tried this Belgium beer called Leffe Blond. It was the first blond beer I've had, needless to say the taste caught me off guard. It was all right, but so far I think I'm still leaning toward the darker beers.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally, my favorite beer is McEwans because man it's fucking awesome.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Moudis wrote: »
    Spaten Optimator
    Holy hell, how did I forget this one? I mostly tried it pretty much equally because of PA's own Spaten Optimator, and on the recommendation of one of my friends. Long story short, it's excellent.

SithDrummer on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Since you liked Newcastle, let me reitterate my recommendation of Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde. Let me also go get my last one out of the fridge.

ViolentChemistry on