As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan to be on TBS: Very Funny?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    And Conan on Adult Swim would have been so awesome.

:P

Yeah right. His budget would be like $60k... per season.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, so he's getting paid pretty much the same as he was during the Tonight Show? Wow.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TBS is always rerunning seinfeld, everybody loves raymond, and the office, and that's ok with me.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    The TBS courtship began only about 10 days ago when the network offered O'Brien the 11 p.m. slot. O'Brien was initially disinterested at the prospect of bumping Lopez's talk show -- too reflective of the drama at NBC between himself and Jay Leno. But O'Brien's feeling shifted after Lopez called O'Brien last week to personally ask him to join the network.

“I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”

Thus ends any comparison of Conan bumping Lopez to midnight with Leno's hostile takeover of NBC latenight.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TBS does censor a lot of things and that makes me very worried about how they would censor Conan since he tends to use material that TBS isn't likely going to want to air unless an agreement was reached on that.

Cade on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    The TBS courtship began only about 10 days ago when the network offered O'Brien the 11 p.m. slot. O'Brien was initially disinterested at the prospect of bumping Lopez's talk show -- too reflective of the drama at NBC between himself and Jay Leno. But O'Brien's feeling shifted after Lopez called O'Brien last week to personally ask him to join the network.

“I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”

Thus ends any comparison of Conan bumping Lopez to midnight with Leno's hostile takeover of NBC latenight.

Yeah, this is going to DRAMATICALLY help Lopez's ratings, which already were pretty good for cable.

This has the capacity to be a really strong latenight block for them.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Yeah, this is going to DRAMATICALLY help Lopez's ratings, which already were pretty good for cable.

This has the capacity to be a really strong latenight block for them.

This is going to be big for everyone involved. While Lopez has his show pushed later, he gets a big name lead-in with a big diverse potential talk show audience to appeal to. Conan gets someone successful and partially established to come in behind him, legitimizing TBS as a late-night talkshow alternative, instead of some wannabe network that gets D-list character actors for guests. And TBS gets all of that. While this won't necessarily be a success, it has the potentially to put a huge amount of momentum into the shift away from networks dominating high end programming.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I view this more as a reason now to watch TBS than a reason not to watch Conan.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Good move for TBS. And as pointed out above, Fox's affiliate issue prevented them from getting Conan.

I actually like Lopez much more as a late night talk show guy than a sitcom actor. And if he personally asked Conan to come over.. then well. He's also a very smart man - now he gets more viewers in general that keep the dial on TBS after Conan goes off, and Conan gets a bigger Latino audience from those tuning in early.

Also TBS is on basic cable here. Comedy Central is way up on extended basic.

Now I have to get cable again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A bit off-topic but I didn't even know Conan was doing a comedy tour and will be appearing near me at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in mid-June. Dear Lord I hope tickets aren't too expensive.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm just happy Conan will be back at all. I would have probably followed him wherever he ended up. When I quit my crappy job while going to college, Conan was there to make me laugh while I was up late drinking beer and eating junk food since I wasn't getting out of bed until 10AM whereas I was previously getting out of bed at 4AM.

This should work out nicely for him, especially with the ownership deal. TBS will probably let him get away with the type of material he did at Late Night as nothing there was ever too offensive. There were some bleeps, but when aren't there bleeps anymore? There are shows in prime time on the networks that have bleeps in them.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    A bit off-topic but I didn't even know Conan was doing a comedy tour and will be appearing near me at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in mid-June. Dear Lord I hope tickets aren't too expensive.
    Ha. Good luck finding them at any price. He has two shows in Chicago, both sold out in minutes, then tickets showed up on resale sites for 4x price.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ha. Good luck finding them at any price. He has two shows in Chicago, both sold out in minutes, then tickets showed up on resale sites for 4x price.

Fuck me naked with a spoon, how do I always find out about these things much too late?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This still puts him up against the TDS and TCR block though, right? That's no good.

Edit: Holy crap, Lopez skews 4 years lower than Colbert? Crazy.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    It will give me something to flip to when TDS and TCR are in commercial that's not Family Guy reruns on [AS] or Sportscenter.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Fuck me naked with a spoon, how do I always find out about these things much too late?

In this case, Too Late was "Almost instantaneous with the announcement"

Seriously, they sold out that very day, as far as I could tell

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome.

Oh wait no TBS in Canada

Fuck

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well I uh

All right then

Rent on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always thought TBS was a broadcast channel.

edit: apparently that's because it is one here.

MKR on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TBS is a big deal. It's Ted Turner's original baby and probably the most available basic cable channel in the United States. It's on pretty much every U.S. cable system's basic cable package, is one the air in the UK and will be on Canadian systems in the near future, once they clear up an odd legal technicality that resulted when they spun off their Atlanta broadcast affiliate.

TBS is much larger than Comedy Central or any other basic or premium channel. It's not as large as Fox, but TBS shows have beaten programming on the major networks in the past.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I was at Conan's show last night in Eugene.....so epic.

He had a Self-Pleasuring panda, Chuck Norris "World Police" Lever, Andy Richter and TRIUMPH!!

Absolutely wonderful 2+ hour show.

of course there were a few pieces that fell kinda flat, but it was to be expected at the first stop of the tour. But overall...a great experience. I think I made the right choice in going to see this rather than Kevin Smith.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    clownfood wrote: »
    So I was at Conan's show last night in Eugene.....so epic.

He had a Self-Pleasuring panda, Chuck Norris "World Police" Lever, Andy Richter and TRIUMPH!!

Absolutely wonderful 2+ hour show.

of course there were a few pieces that fell kinda flat, but it was to be expected at the first stop of the tour. But overall...a great experience. I think I made the right choice in going to see this rather than Kevin Smith.

Given that Triumph's on Twitter as @conans_dog, that wasn't too surprising.

Oh, and @conansbear 's tweets... dear god. You can pretty much guess what the Masturbating Bear would tweet about.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe TBS is trying to do what AMC did by taking some risks. They put out Mad Men and Breaking Bad and most people thought that was crazy.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

In this case, Too Late was "Almost instantaneous with the announcement"

Seriously, they sold out that very day, as far as I could tell

It's weird, because the announcement for the show and the release of the tickets were only I think like a few hours apart. I think the announcement happen late at night and the next morning tickets were on sale. I was lucky that I saw a post on Facebook and called my gf to get them.

I'm excited.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So when does this show come on?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This November I think.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm gonna see him at bonnaroo, maybe even twice if i feel like it.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This made my day, because fuck Leno.

Jay's Ratings Fall Below Conan's
    For the first time, Jay Leno's average weekly ratings among 18-49-year-old viewers has fallen below Conan O'Brien's, departing TheWrap.com TV analyst Joe Adalian observed on Thursday. Adalian noted that Leno averaged only a 1.0 rating and a 5 share last week versus O'Brien's 1.1/5 average -- despite the fact that CBS was airing repeats of Late Show with David Letterman, which drew a 0.8/3 in the demo. Moreover, Leno now benefits from a much stronger nightly lead-in -- with shows like Parenthood and The Marriage Ref being aired by the network in the 10 00 p.m. time period -- than O'Brien did when his lead-in was Leno.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

For the first time, Jay Leno's average weekly ratings among 18-49-year-old viewers has fallen below Conan O'Brien's, departing TheWrap.com TV analyst Joe Adalian observed on Thursday. Adalian noted that Leno averaged only a 1.0 rating and a 5 share last week versus O'Brien's 1.1/5 average -- despite the fact that CBS was airing repeats of Late Show with David Letterman, which drew a 0.8/3 in the demo. Moreover, Leno now benefits from a much stronger nightly lead-in -- with shows like Parenthood and The Marriage Ref being aired by the network in the 10 00 p.m. time period -- than O'Brien did when his lead-in was Leno.

How sweet it is.

And did Jay dye his hair black?

Cade on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Mr.Burns wrote:
    Excellent

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »
    TBS? The only thing I know that is on that station are movies that are edited for content.

Oh god this.

So many times I'm flicking, then I see Lethal Weapon and get all excited.... only to notice its on TBS...

Riggs never says "Double Damn Tuesday" !

This is not a real line!!!!

Al_wat on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread needs more cover songs with overdone British accents
    Much better

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

[looks at photo on page]
    caption wrote:
    Caption: Manuel Gallegus of CBS News. The National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association's 15th Annual NY Benefit at Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams Soho Store. New York City,USA

Wait what

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    This thread needs more cover songs with overdone British accents
    Much better

God, I hope he keeps the beard and hair for a while.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    TBS? The only thing I know that is on that station are movies that are edited for content.

Oh god this.

So many times I'm flicking, then I see Lethal Weapon and get all excited.... only to notice its on TBS...

there's also the commercials that they do during the shows that cut right in the middle of something, or that blue weather bullshit that pops on for no damn reason.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »

Oh god this.

Stuff . . . he said stuff

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well you are talking about a channel where the execs wouldn't allow one of the people portraying a man with an apron to be bloodied in any fashion at all, they wouldn't even allow it to be dirtied.

Cade on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well the TBS NBA show with Charles Barkley is better than watching actual NBA games, so maybe this might work out.

big l on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got TNT and TBS confused. I'm watching the NBA Finals on TNT. What is TBS known for?

Slider on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    I got TNT and TBS confused. I'm watching the NBA Finals on TNT. What is TBS known for?

Okay well actually that's me getting confused, shows you how much I watch cable. TNT basketball rules, I don't know what the fuck is with TBS.

big l on