As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Pre-PAX Dinner 2010 Thread - *Food Registration - CLOSED*

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It may be best to just to find a restaurant and rent out a banquet hall. I kind of wonder if you could tap Penny Arcade and see if they know a company that could help fund it. Just a thought.

Krathoon on
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It may be best to just to find a restaurant and rent out a banquet hall. I kind of wonder if you could tap Penny Arcade and see if they know a company that could help fund it. Just a thought.

They won't allow sponsorships as it takes away potential sponsors of the show.

atiari on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That sounds great, as long as there is gaming, i'll bring along any boardgames if people want. Takes place the night before PAX i assume?

Gene Parmesan on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yep. Sometime Thursday night, usually ends right before the drinking tournament/bar crawl.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly I will be very disappointed if this ends up being at any restaurant. With the amount of people that usually go to the PPD, the service at any restaurant will probably be pretty horrible, not to mention we would probably have to cap the amount of attendees.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OOHHH i was talking about this last year, but we could rent out a theatre for before or after (i know that the pub-crawl is after) but for some reason this came up at some point and i asked somebody about it... anyways, its possible. just saying.... now this just feels useless...

s7arbuck on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    s7arbuck, I think you bring up a potentially awesome point!

What if one of the smaller, more indie theaters (like the one you worked at) would be willing to let us have/pay for space to do both a movie AND the Pre-PAX Dinner there? That would be an awesome Pre-PAX Dinner location I think!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited April 2010
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    OOHHH i was talking about this last year, but we could rent out a theatre for before or after (i know that the pub-crawl is after) but for some reason this came up at some point and i asked somebody about it... anyways, its possible. just saying.... now this just feels useless...

Intriguing... what kind of theater?

Arco on
  • RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    s7arbuck wrote: »

Oh Pre-PAX movie, I miss you so...
    But yes, I am in for the dinner, and most likely drinking...

RowdyTheDog on
  • AngelEyezAngelEyez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This will be my 2nd PAX. The first was quite an emotional experience for me. I met so many great people. I would love to help organize this Pre-PAX dinner with you guys. I am a local, and can help with any planning you may need. I would love to help be a part of this. Please PM me if I can help in any way. Thanks, and hope to see you all there in September!

AngelEyez on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    s7arbuck, I think you bring up a potentially awesome point!

What if one of the smaller, more indie theaters (like the one you worked at) would be willing to let us have/pay for space to do both a movie AND the Pre-PAX Dinner there? That would be an awesome Pre-PAX Dinner location I think!

I can look into it. last year I believe the deal was from 9-midnight it was 300. or 4-7 for 300 as well (i think) the theater fits 185. APPARENTLY the theater usually cost 800 so it would be a sweet discount (we'd have to be respectful, i dont think that would be a big deal of us) we used this theater in the past for a holiday party. it has stadium seating and it the nicer of the 2 theaters.
    I would have to look into food I believe if the proceeds are for charity (child's play?) it is alright.

we have to supply our own movie (or maybe video games. there is one part where there is a good level platform so rockband COULD happen. or maybe just a REALLY bad movie so we could all talk during it. let me know what people are thinking for catering options and I can email the people again.

I dont REALLY want to contact her again though unless it is a good opition, she seemed a little angry alst year when i was just asking for info.

ANYWAYS THATS STUFF TO THINK ABOUT!

s7arbuck on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a terribly selfish and greedy idea, but what about asking for space in the WSCTC the thursday before? I think that idea is shot down already since I think there's some rule there that you can't bring in your own food or something like that. The more I think about it the worse that idea sounds, anyways.

That out of the window, there's lots of space in the WSCTC where you can just hang around even without a badge or anything. mainyl where they have the rock band stage setup a floor below the subway, as well as the area next to the subway itself.

If you wanted to make a smaller scale, people can just meetup there and hang about, buying their own food at the subway or the crepe place downstairs and whatever.

edit- sweet jesus, s7atbuck, that would be amazing. it'd be a pre-pax dinner and a return of pre-pax movie

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Id be down for a Pre-PAX dinner... Keep plannin', if there's something I can contribute, Ill give you a holler.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm totally down for doing this again. :)
    Pre-PAX Din din must live on! :O

Shiggles on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thank you all for your interest. It's certainly sounding like we've got the possibility to have a fantastic turnout, which is very encouraging.

I've been making quite a bit of progress over the weekend and will continue to work on this over the week and i'm getting more excited as time passes.

We are really trying to make this something special and unique for everybody and I hope we can achieve that for all of you.

:)

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A problem with PAX east for me was finding people to talk too. This sounds like a great way to meet people before PAX. If you have it, I'm in.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited April 2010
    A problem with PAX east for me was finding people to talk too.

...you must've been doing it wrong

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2010
    Now now, LTAcosta, there are some of us who are social butterflies, and others who are the epitomy of Frontalot's Wallflowers song.

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd be interested in going for once! I hope the price range is good, mine being $15-$25

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited April 2010
    Ah! I had forgotten that you looked into this a couple of years back s7arbuck! I definitely think that could be an option made of win... though indeed, let's not actually ask her unless we're all certain that's what we want to do: no sense provoking her wrath unnecessarily. ;)

Personally, I think it'd be great fun!

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    The move theater idea sounds fun, but is it big enough? I vaguely remember attendance at the last pre pax dinner being around 200 or so, right? And I'd think it'd be larger this year because of all the new people whose first pax was east...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're really serious about doing some kind of theater things, I'd recommend looking into the ACT Theatre. They're attached to the WSCTC, will work with caterers, and are reasonably priced (more or less).

BTW people in this thread need to stop saying "WTCC"... that's such a mangling of the real acronym it makes my head hurt.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am so in for this. best start to a pub crawl ever.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
    edited April 2010
    Ah, good points all around. I wonder how much the ACT Theatre would cost?

VThornheart on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, good points all around. I wonder how much the ACT Theatre would cost?

It's about $3500 for a space big enough for 200 people

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2010
    That's $17.50 each before the cost of food. Not a bad start. Leaves about another $15 for food on a $35 ticket, the other $2.50 going to ticket and credit card fees. If we wanted to go the theater route (again, if), that might actually work.

Arco on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    That's $17.50 each before the cost of food. Not a bad start. Leaves about another $15 for food on a $35 ticket, the other $2.50 going to ticket and credit card fees. If we wanted to go the theater route (again, if), that might actually work.

Beta Angel has some pretty great ideas about catering and logistics, he'll probably get the discussion started soon about all the different aspects of the dinner and what the possibilities are.

I'm getting excited!!!! How long till PAX again?

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2010
    Way, way too long.

Arco on
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »

I think around 35 bucks is the perfect price, since last year it was 32... So staying in the same ballpark is good.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2010
    My idea should be around $30 or less each. I think. I haven't looked more into it as beta_angel is considering my idea.

atiari on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *bounce bounce*

Just tell me where and when to send the money!

/excited

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited April 2010
    atiari wrote: »
    My idea should be around $30 or less each. I think. I haven't looked more into it as beta_angel is considering my idea.

And your idea is...?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2010
    LTAcosta wrote: »

And your idea is...?

Check the forum for Pre-PAX gaming night. I outline it there.

atiari on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

And your idea is...?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »

And your idea is...?

Thanks, I have to admit that I am far too lazy to outline it again.

atiari on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

And your idea is...?

atiari - I actually just sent you an email.

The plan is still to have the dinner cost around the same, but we're looking into something different than what you had brought up. :)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • arnonautarnonaut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Barring Nuclear Holocaust, count me in!

Even then... Rad-worm burgers are still tasty, right?

arnonaut on
    Boosh! And/or Kakow!
    edited April 2010
    beta_angel wrote: »

And your idea is...?

The plan is still to have the dinner cost around the same, but we're looking into something different than what you had brought up. :)

That's fine and up to you. I may still do a dinner/gaming combo, but out of courtesy would make it Wednesday instead of Thursday.

atiari on
    edited April 2010
    beta_angel wrote: »

And your idea is...?

That's fine and up to you. I may still do a dinner/gaming combo, but out of courtesy would make it Wednesday instead of Thursday.

Replying and quoting this because it's already really hella long.

And I WAS gonna say something creative and helpful, but fucking hell I cannot remember.

Shaddz on
    You can find me on:

edited April 2010
    Wow. That's some crazy hourglass indentation you guys have going.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.