As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Prequels: The better Trilogy?...

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Because there's nothing to counter. You're flipping out about someone disagreeing about the Jedi - your monster post above shows that. If that's not the definition of a fanboy, I don't know what is.

I'm waiting for you to accuse me of having an "anti Jedi bias".

Not very interested in reading through all your post to see if your anti Jedi or not.

That's not the issue at hand.

Your frequent dismissing of other people, your hurling insults at them and asking for a post that says other then what you say only to dismiss the post is.

You can't handle anything that says anything remotely negative about Traviss or the Mandos.

Again for all those that you label people you come off exactly as you insult others to be.

You like to say people are fanboys yet you more then anyone is exactly that.

Cade on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have a disagreement on whether or not Traviss writes good SW fiction. One of us is taking the other's viewpoint as a personal insult.
    Your every response is intended to be belittling and dismissive; "you're a fanboy" is the most common example of that. How can you be surprised that people take your posts as personal insults, when that's precisely what they are? You offer nothing, and I dub you worthless. Go fuck yourself, worthless.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    legionofonelegionofone __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Cade wrote: »

Because there's nothing to counter. You're flipping out about someone disagreeing about the Jedi - your monster post above shows that. If that's not the definition of a fanboy, I don't know what is.

Not very interested in reading through all your post to see if your anti Jedi or not.

Your frequent dismissing of other people, your hurling insults at them and asking for a post that says other then what you say only to dismiss the post is.

You can't handle anything that says anything remotely negative about Traviss or the Mandos.

Again for all those that you label people you come off exactly as you inslut others to be.

Replace "Traviss" and "Mandos" with "Jedi" and "Jedis" and you'll have how you've been acting.

My anti Jedi statement was a joke in reference to when someone told synthesis he had an "anti Jedi bias", and how silly that is.

The fact that you apparently took in seriousness says a whole lot.

I like the Mandos and Traviss' work, but I'm not about to start get incredibly upset about it like you have about insults to the Jedi.

legionofone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We have a disagreement on whether or not Traviss writes good SW fiction. One of us is taking the other's viewpoint as a personal insult.
    Your every response is intended to be belittling and dismissive; "you're a fanboy" is the most common example of that. How can you be surprised that people take your posts as personal insults, when that's precisely what they are? You offer nothing, and I dub you worthless. Go fuck yourself, worthless.

And we have the mature, reasoned response from the Jedi fan side of the aisle.

You wonder why I think you're taking this a little too bit seriously.

legionofone on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Look, we all know the EU is all Jeditastic. (For obvious reasons, what with wizards with laser swords being cool and all). But again, you keep mischaracterizing peoples dislike of Traviss and her bullshit. You did it with your very first stupid post on this.

People complain about the Mary-Sue-Mandos becaus Traviss didn't stop the crazy wankfest, she just kept it going and replaced "Jedi" with "Mandolorian". It went from "Jedis are awesome, everyone else sucks" to "Mandos are awesome, everyone else sucks. Especially Jedi!".
    Jedi are supposed to be goddamn space samurai-knights. There would be something wrong if they weren't fucking awesome in the vein of chivalric romance. This is one of the huge problems with the prequels.

Has there been a Star Wars version of Don Quixote yet?

I don't know, I didn't mind the PT showing Jedi as highly flawed.

But then, I've always thought a well done PT would have showed both the Republic and the Jedi as highly flawed institutions that failed as much due to their own faults as due to Palpatine.

Essentially, Luke succeeds in the OT because he DOESN'T follow the old Jedi ways. He doesn't think his father is dead, but instead thinks he can still be saved.
    Showing them as flawed would work, but they still need to be knights or at least have some knightly Jedi to counterbalance black knights and corrupt knights. The prequel had pretty much 0 sympathetic Jedi as main characters. They were retarded, assholes, or both. Besides that, Lucas didn't seem to intend to show them as deeply flawed.

Well yeah, Lucas fucked up in several different ways with that.

Jedi in the PT are like amoral killing machines.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Look, we all know the EU is all Jeditastic. (For obvious reasons, what with wizards with laser swords being cool and all). But again, you keep mischaracterizing peoples dislike of Traviss and her bullshit. You did it with your very first stupid post on this.

People complain about the Mary-Sue-Mandos becaus Traviss didn't stop the crazy wankfest, she just kept it going and replaced "Jedi" with "Mandolorian". It went from "Jedis are awesome, everyone else sucks" to "Mandos are awesome, everyone else sucks. Especially Jedi!".
    Jedi are supposed to be goddamn space samurai-knights. There would be something wrong if they weren't fucking awesome in the vein of chivalric romance. This is one of the huge problems with the prequels.

Has there been a Star Wars version of Don Quixote yet?

I don't know, I didn't mind the PT showing Jedi as highly flawed.

But then, I've always thought a well done PT would have showed both the Republic and the Jedi as highly flawed institutions that failed as much due to their own faults as due to Palpatine.

Essentially, Luke succeeds in the OT because he DOESN'T follow the old Jedi ways. He doesn't think his father is dead, but instead thinks he can still be saved.
    Showing them as flawed would work, but they still need to be knights or at least have some knightly Jedi to counterbalance black knights and corrupt knights. The prequel had pretty much 0 sympathetic Jedi as main characters. They were retarded, assholes, or both. Besides that, Lucas didn't seem to intend to show them as deeply flawed.

Well yeah, Lucas fucked up in several different ways with that.

Jedi in the PT are like amoral killing machines.

I thought they were supposed to be relatively rare too, on that note?

legionofone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Again for all those that you label people you come off exactly as you inslut others to be.

Replace "Traviss" and "Mandos" with "Jedi" and "Jedis" and you'll have how you've been acting.

My anti Jedi statement was a joke in reference to when someone told synthesis he had an "anti Jedi bias", and how silly that is.

I like the Mandos and Traviss' work, but I'm not about to start get incredibly upset about it like you have about insults to the Jedi.

Yet your constant posting and attitude proves anything but what you say with that.

There is nothing wrong about liking the Mandos or Traviss work, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Although you do seem to get quite upset any time when someone mentions the Mandos or Traviss as others have noted here, funny about that isn't it? You appear to take things quite serious yourself.

Cade on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still think we should kill Lucas in his sleep, then modify his will to allow Genndy Tartakovsky to acquire all legal rights to Star Wars.

Then, hopefully, we'll see a reboot and a PT told proper. :D

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I still think we should kill Lucas in his sleep, then modify his will to allow Genndy Tartakovsky to acquire all legal rights to Star Wars.

Supposedly Lucas hated what Tartakovsky did with the Clone War cartoons some years ago, the current ones is to make everything "right".

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yet your constant posting and attitude proves anything but what you say with that.

There is nothing wrong about liking the Mandos or Traviss work, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Although you do seem to get quite upset any time when someone mentions the Mandos or Traviss as others have noted here, funny about that isn't it? You appear to take things quite serious yourself.

Your posting in this thread, and that of your confederates, is in direct contrast to this.

Seriously.

legionofone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Your posting in this thread, and that of your confederates, is in direct contrast to this.

Seriously.

Says the one who says that he isn't taking this serious and yet keeps posting himself.

Hmmmm.

How odd...

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Says the one who says that he isn't taking this serious and yet keeps posting himself.

Hmmmm.

How odd...

Don't take my lack of having anything better to do as "caring".

Of course, this has been "u" "no u" for the last ten posts or so, so fire off your last zinger and be done with it. I've derailed from talking about Lucas' silliness long enough.

legionofone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

They were fun to watch, but the whole thing was ridiculously over the top and none of the war stuff really made any sense.

Although Anakins whole Anger thing when rescuing those guys being experimented on was really well done.

shryke on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    When did it become a requirement to use misogynistic language to talk about Star Wars :(

Um, no one is using the "wanking" or "cock slobbering" analogies because she's a women.

These are pretty common analogies when people talk about an author and their Mary-Sue love for certain characters or things or whatever.

Oh, so it's more a homophobic thing and that she's a woman is largely irrelevant. Gotcha.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Supposedly Lucas hated what Tartakovsky did with the Clone War cartoons some years ago, the current ones is to make everything "right".

I also heard that he specifically cited the Mace Windu vs Droid army scene as the breaking point. Which further proves my theory that George Lucas hates fun.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Wank" is not homophobic.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Hi,

This is Will, your moderator for this ridiculous thread.

This is your final warning to stay on topic, and discuss your subject in a manner that well-rounded and civilized adult humans might.

If I see any more snide remarks, personal attacks, obvious trolling, or nerdrage explosions, it's a red card and I lock the thread.

Love,

-Wm.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I also heard that he specifically cited the Mace Windu vs Droid army scene as the breaking point. Which further proves my theory that George Lucas hates fun.

I'm curious. Who is "he" and breaking point for what?

legionofone on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What did he hate?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Seriously.

Robman you've been around enough. How have you NOT gotten used to the use of sexual analogies for everything on the internet?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

...wha?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

...wha?

"He" specifically cited the Windu versus Droid Army as the breaking point.

I'm not sure who he is (Lucas, Tartakovsky?) and what the breaking point was.

legionofone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tartakovsky revealed in his Hyperspace audio commentary on StarWars.com and on the Star Wars: Clone Wars: Volume I DVD that he animated C-3PO's eyes in a way that pays homage to the animation style of Nelvana, who were the production company behind the animated segment from The Star Wars Holiday Special.
    Tartakovsky was crazy.

Anyway, I don't see anything Lucas has said that showed he disliked the series.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Makes sense.

That whole scene is just kinda dumb. It's "Mace Windu wins vs an entire army with nothing but his bare hands".

It's like 10000x more ridiculous and over-the-top then anything in any of the films.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What did he hate?

Probably that the Jedi were cool and useful. Or...

-GT made Mace Windu fuckawesome. He uses the force to kick droid ass... but I guess the force is only useful to say it's more powerful than the Deathstar or something. But don't you fucking dare prove it more powerful!

-Anakin wasn't whiney little prick.

-Grevious was someone to be feared.

-The droid army was a capable and dangerous army.

-No kids.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I look forward to the day when the copyright expires on Star Wars and the films are remade.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Speaker wrote: »
    I look forward to the day when the copyright expires on Star Wars and the films are remade.

Silly, copyright never expires.

The only comment I found by Lucas on the series is that the movie is a continuation of the series and the first one was a pilot series.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

What did he hate?

-GT made Mace Windu fuckawesome. He uses the force to kick droid ass... but I guess the force is only useful to say it's more powerful than the Deathstar or something. But don't you fucking dare prove it more powerful!

-No kids.

Actually there was that kid that did hand Mace the water to drink after he went fist fighting against the droid army.

Granted that scene was rather over the top.

Cade on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not sure how I'd feel about a remake. On the one hand there's a kind of magic seeing something for the first time that you really can't replace.

On the other hand, the Peter Jackson King Kong remake was pretty awesome IMO. So it could be fun if it was done well.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Seriously.

Robman you've been around enough. How have you NOT gotten used to the use of sexual analogies for everything on the internet?

Being used to something and accepting something are two different things, much like at this point you'd think the fans of the EU would be used to writers re-writing huge chunks of the lore to suit their narrative framework, yet they are clearly not accepting it in this case.

For instance, life creates the force, yet there is a life-rich planet that blocks the presence of the force? Yet nobody rages about Zhan's work regularly.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Better question, even if there was to be a remake who could actually handle such a thing?

To please everyone with something like Star Wars is a impossibility.

Cade on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What did he hate?

-No kids.

Actually there was that kid that did hand Mace the water to drink after he went fist fighting against the droid army.

Granted that scene was rather over the top.

No kids with speaking lines.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The OT should never be remade, for one they themselves haven't been driven into the ground and the twist will never be new again.

The PT should be written off and remade following a KOTOR trilogy and then a follow up trilogy that follows the OT and the ressurection of the Jedi (Less populous than during the PT)

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, well buzz on the internet is that Lucas didn't like the overstylized battles that Genndy included in his animated Clone Wars series. He did not like how the Jedi were portrayed in a manner he deemed as "unrealistic." Yes, because all things Star Wars hinge on very strict laws of physics and are serious business.

I've seen this actually debated too on various Star Wars fan forums, where the common arguement for Mace Windu's power is, 'If he was able to do things like that in that battle, why didn't he display that level of power in the Arena scene in Episode 2?'

The fact is GT managed to portray not just the Jedi, but everyone involved in his microseries in an awesome manner. The Jedi were powerful and heroic, the Sith were merciless and terrifying, even the Clone Troopers were badasses instead of simply being cannon fodder. Lucas failed to accomplish this at any point in the PT - the Jedi were portrayed as clueless douchebags and the Sith Lords were constantly running away for most of the movies.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Better question, even if there was to be a remake who could actually handle such a thing?

To please everyone with something like Star Wars is a impossibility.

You don't need to please everybody. You just need to make enough money to pay for the pretty explosions.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    Not sure how I'd feel about a remake. On the one hand there's a kind of magic seeing something for the first time that you really can't replace.

On the other hand, the Peter Jackson King Kong remake was pretty awesome IMO. So it could be fun if it was done well.

The beauty of a remake like Star Trek has is that it allows the writers to throw away all the lore and write a story of their own imagination. Having a playbook of lore to draw on can be useful to set up the narrative framework of the story, but IMO the moment the lore blocks good storytelling, it's time to shelve it.

Universes are a lot like forests - there are strong ancient trees, the core concepts. You need regular forest fires to clear out the underbrush (the extended lore) to keep the forest healthy.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've seen this actually debated too on various Star Wars fan forums, where the common arguement for Mace Windu's power is, 'If he was able to do things like that in that battle, why didn't he display that level of power in the Arena scene in Episode 2?'
    Apply this same line of reasoning to the PT and OT.

Did they ever use force speed in the movies after the first time in the first movie?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, well buzz on the internet is that Lucas didn't like the overstylized battles that Genndy included in his animated Clone Wars series. He did not like how the Jedi were portrayed in a manner he deemed as "unrealistic." Yes, because all things Star Wars hinge on very strict laws of physics and are serious business.

You really can't see the difference between the two?

The movies hava people with amazing reflexes and ability to jump really far and kill shit with a laser sword.

The Cartoon has 1 man take on an ENTIRE ARMY with his BARE HANDS.

There's a vast difference in realism here.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is it really so hard to imagine that there could be people so in tune with the Force that it would grant them superhuman athletic abilities, or people that have trained to use it to augment their strength? I mean, look at what we've already seen in the movies:

* Telekinesis - check.
    * Borderline mind control with the Jedi Mind Trick - check.
    * Shooting lightning from your fucking fingertips - check.
    * Absorbing and/or reflecting energy blasts - check.
    * Super jumps(see Anakin vs Obi Wan) - check.
    * Super agility displayed by old people(Yoda and Palpatine) - check.

But despite all that, Mace Windu fucking up an army of droids is too much. And he didn't do it with his bare hands. He had the Force with him. :D Sure he punched the shit out of some, but a lot of it was Force-crushes and Force-pushes.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Remember, once the PT is rendered non-canon, the stupid super jumps and agility won't exist anymore and Lightning will once again be an extreme extension of the force by someone massively powerful.

DarkWarrior on