As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sim shouldn't be alllowed on the random list, he's like playing some completely different game that isn't street fighter to me. His playstyle is wholely not for me.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    I've missed playing street fighter with you.

<3 me too man. You busy today? Let's fire up some SF4 or HDR later and have some fun.

Two thumbs up MNC Dover

Random's only tournaments FTW!

Do you know how much better the Random's only tourney will be with the addition of T.Hawk? I can only hope that TheUnsane1 gets T.Hawk on his first ever random, followed by E.Honda, then Vega, then Dhalsim, then Dee Jay, then.... :)

ChaosHat wrote: »
    My thoughts are basically: Chun Li is my best character. People can still beat me when I play her. Therefore, I have not sufficiently trained with her to even bother playing another character seriously.

I hope you never run into Wong or Diago then because you'll never switch characters or try someone new. No offense, but those guys are gonna beat almost everyone else they play 9 out of 10 times unless you are willing to pour the hours, months, and years into playing the game competitively then you might bring it down to 7 out of 10 times. It might be time to rethink your philosophy of how you play the game. Again, not trying to be mean, just throwing my opinion out there.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll main someone who isn't Ryu when another character has a million ways to combo into ultra.

8-)

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did someone say random tournament!?!?

LET ME DEFEND MY TITLE. FOR I AM THE MANLIEST OF MEN.

In championship mode, i play Abel 99% of the time. This is part of the reason i like to switch it up in Player matches. In player matches i pretty much play as everyone (lately my main "alts" have been Cammy and Akuma). If the other person is getting bored or i'm getting roflstomped, then i'll go back to Abel.

For example, vs aBlank we usually play with anyone but our mains for a few matches. Then we end up switching to my Abel vs his Honda/Ken. These are usually pretty good matches. Afterwards, we usually go back to the picking anyone phase. I try to always end the matches with the "Random Select Train"

Ever seen Gen vs Dan? It's pretty epic.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My thoughts are basically: Chun Li is my best character. People can still beat me when I play her. Therefore, I have not sufficiently trained with her to even bother playing another character seriously.

I hope you never run into Wong or Diago then because you'll never switch characters or try someone new. No offense, but those guys are gonna beat almost everyone else they play 9 out of 10 times unless you are willing to pour the hours, months, and years into playing the game competitively then you might bring it down to 7 out of 10 times. It might be time to rethink your philosophy of how you play the game. Again, not trying to be mean, just throwing my opinion out there.

This is my philosophy now. After being a competitive arcade rat, I just don't have the time to be awesome at fighting games anymore. And I have a lot of fun playing around with different characters, so I play whoever I feel like even if I suck.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'll main someone who isn't Ryu when another character has a million ways to combo into ultra.

8-)

so you'll play rufus, is what you're saying.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

And when I'm good enough to compete at that level, I'll consider picking someone else up!

I think it's a change in how we view what's fun. I want to win. I'm competitive. I'd rather be realllllly good with one character than mediocre with a both. Because being really good at one character is mastering all those stupid link combos that are hard to do and mastering the matchups. You say that you hope I never run into Wong or Daigo due to a lack of character switching. I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't feel like I'm missing out by playing Chun nigh exclusively, it's a part of the game that doesn't interest me at this point in time.

I'm making a one time exception to try some new characters seriously when Super comes out, but it's mostly to see if I can gel with their playstyle better, or find it more fun and rewarding. And then I'll stick with that character forever.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Y'see, I have this problem alos, but on a more local level.

When I play online, I'm pretty much bound to go Gen, cause he's my main, and I want to bring my 'game-face' with me when playing ranked.

However if it's just a player game then I tend to switch up between a couple of characters I like.

Now my main problem is that the primary person I play against both online and off, is my friend Darren who plays Ryu exclusively. Whilst being hugely boring, it does mean that his Ryu is an incredibly well honed opponent (I despise light shoryuken, followed by Super, followed by Ultra, which he can pull of with frightening ease)

Now I don't play Random unless the other person is doing likewise, and even then its only local games where we're all having a laugh. But I do make an effort to have a swathe of characters I'm comfortable playing as so that people don't get bored.

To date my characters are Gen, Gouken, Chun-Li, Fei Long, Sagat and Akuma (but only for a lugh cause I suck as Akuma)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

8-)

He has one of the worst character designs ever and I will never use him.

I am very shallow you see.

That being said, I will main Juri in SSF4. But Ryu will always be on roster.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

8-)

If by one of the worst you mean the best... I think the guy looks awesome. Adds some color to a cast that looks like they all came from an early 90's anime (which is no surprise of course).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it's not one that bashes the god known merely as Rufus.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited April 2010

<3 me too man. You busy today? Let's fire up some SF4 or HDR later and have some fun.

Two thumbs up MNC Dover

Do you know how much better the Random's only tourney will be with the addition of T.Hawk? I can only hope that TheUnsane1 gets T.Hawk on his first ever random, followed by E.Honda, then Vega, then Dhalsim, then Dee Jay, then.... :)

A.) getting the HDR win with every character I won in 1 match with honda thawk deejay so there's that.
    B.) I Have used Dee Jay as a main(granted it was in Super Street Fighter 2 arcade).
    C.) I have used T. Hawk and Gief and only played 360 characters for the better part of 5 years in the past.
    D.) Sim sucks for me yet I liked using Necro O_o I don't get it really.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You shouldn't be playing to win 100% of the time. Messing around with other characters and playstyles will make you a better player in the long run.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nah, I just tend not to like Capcom's SF design direction in general.

Kind of like they pick a random place on the map, figure out almost every stereotype associated with that location and then make a character around it. Rufus just happen to be based around a very lame one.

I like Juri though because she has a glowing eyeball and spins like "wwwhhheee".

I have very refined tastes, you see.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm up for some SF4. With Super coming out in less than 2 weeks, I feel like I need to really learn these new mechanics. I never did get the hang of focus attacks...

When I get frustrated with how much I still suck, we can fire up an HDR lobby and I can medium punch you with Chun Li.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I had thought Abel was my best character, until I started playing Ryu a lot :lol:
    IMO you need to play every character in the game.. know their BnBs, links, normals, all that stuff and the fastest and best way to learn those things is to play that character for awhile. The only characters I straight up can't play in vanilla SF now are Blanka and Gen..

Sakeido on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sakeido wrote: »

I had thought Abel was my best character, until I started playing Ryu a lot :lol:
    IMO you need to play every character in the game.. know their BnBs, links, normals, all that stuff and the fastest and best way to learn those things is to play that character for awhile. The only characters I straight up can't play in vanilla SF now are Blanka and Gen..

I can't play Abel or Dhalsim at all. My Gen is also incredibly scrubby. Everyone else I can at least "fake it" pretty well.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i am pretty awful with everyone except bison, although i can play guile and ryu a little bit.

i wish i could reset to G3 and learn Sim from there, because i wouldn't even learn anything getting pounded by guys in G1 while playing Sim

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rufus is the man. That is all.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i am pretty awful with everyone except bison, although i can play guile and ryu a little bit.

i wish i could reset to G3 and learn Sim from there, because i wouldn't even learn anything getting pounded by guys in G1 while playing Sim

Isn't rank going to be character specific in SSF4. So now you can!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Man I hope so, having to play characters you don't have a clue about up in a higher bracket could really really suck.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    edited April 2010
    There is a sure pattern in characters I like based mostly on appearance/personality.

I like Bryan in Tekken, Goh in VF, Cervantes in SC, Plan to use alot of Juri in ssf4, Plan to use Hazama in BB:CS... All of these characters are similar in that they are basically evil sociopaths.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i don't think you're going to get matched to other players based on your character rank. that would mean you'd have to pick your character first, and then get matched up.

i think your overall player score will dictate who you're matched with.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh...that would be correct.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

8-)

If by one of the worst you mean the best... I think the guy looks awesome. Adds some color to a cast that looks like they all came from an early 90's anime (which is no surprise of course).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it's not one that bashes the god known merely as Rufus.

I really hate Rufus' design as well. I think that's what I hate most about him.

That, and his "AIEEEEEEE!" ad nauseum.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hated him at first, but the character has grown on me a lot. I think his personality really shines through.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Two thumbs up MNC Dover

A.) getting the HDR win with every character I won in 1 match with honda thawk deejay so there's that.
    B.) I Have used Dee Jay as a main(granted it was in Super Street Fighter 2 arcade).
    C.) I have used T. Hawk and Gief and only played 360 characters for the better part of 5 years in the past.
    D.) Sim sucks for me yet I liked using Necro O_o I don't get it really.

Sorry, I was just reversing your "hype list" for giggles.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i don't think you're going to get matched to other players based on your character rank. that would mean you'd have to pick your character first, and then get matched up.

i think your overall player score will dictate who you're matched with.
    This makes sense and all, but I also certainly remember them saying something about addressing this.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in the "Rufus is cool" camp. Actually, I like all the brand new characters (except Seth), and I wish they made more than just 2 more for Super.
    Good games last night T-Bolt. I have to get used to the fact that you just like to walk up to me as boxer and just spam the shit out of c.LP while I'm in the corner. Probably got dizzied like 4 times just trying to get out of that situation. Wish my connection was a little better, seems like whenever someone is surfing the net in my house while I'm playing it just takes a huge dump on me. It wasn't like that before. :(
    Yeah, GGs. I think like the first 3 or 4 rounds we played I dizzied you. Not really used to doing that, I really need to figure out a good post-dizzy combo that I could do consistently. I remember the first time we played it was pretty smooth for the most part considering it was "2 bars".

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wish they would have replaced T-Hawk with Karin.

*sigh* Every fighting game needs a snobby, rich chick.

It's like a mandate or something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Considering how many characters we've seen I really think Rufus stands out pretty well, both with his character and look/personality as well as with his playstyle.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am "best" with Abel, my main.

I am "decent" with Ryu, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Rufus and Fei Long

I "play around" with Gief, Rose and Fuerte

I "know how to play" every one else. Except:

I "absolutely have no idea how to play" Dhalsim, Seth and Vega

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MalickMalick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have been toying with the idea of changing my main from Sagat to Chun Li or M. Bison. Going from a qcf character to a charge based one does scare me a bit.

Malick on
    Welkin7.jpg
    PSN = malickai XBL = gdragonstar Pokemon SS = 3095 7347 2659 Pokemon White = 5028 4446 2386
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I play random because I don't want to choose a character. Simple as that.

There was really no one or two characters that stood out to me in SFIV, unlike other games. In BlazBlue it was Tager with a bit of Hakumen on the side. With HDR I gravitated towards T Hawk and Honda. In MvC2 its Juggernaut, Strider, and Akuma (kinda).

I don't have a main in SFIV. So I just tried to learn everyone. There are characters that really appeal to me in the upcoming Super SFIV, so I'll probably stop randoming *as much* when I can get my hands on Ibuki, T Hawk, and Hakan. But people will and should still know me as a random guy so that we they need to practice a specific matchup (let's say Abel) and a better player isn't around (let's say Hiryu) I can fill in for a bit. I'm still going to random when I get bored or want to play other characters, but SSFIV should see the return of actual "mains" for me.

EDIT: Lots o' typos.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hiryu, we haven't played in a while. i'm sure you've improved dramatically due to your regular in-person fight nights.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hiryu, we haven't played in a while. i'm sure you've improved dramatically due to your regular in-person fight nights.

I know man, but the Bison matchup is still in your favor regardless. Your buttons are just better. Gonna be a bit more even with Super's release.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone up for some SFIV practice right now/in the near future?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Well random is fine so long as people are ok with random, some people feel random is like slighting them and not playing the game as it is intended.

Pretty much. I'm okay with Solsovly using it because he seems to know EVERYONE really well. It was quite impressive.

Normally, though, people don't, and it sucks. I want to fight their best and I try to do the same for them.

Thanks Biz, GGs as always, I can't believe we played till 3AM. I just like picking random, it's never a slight on someone and it keeps the game fresh for me. Most of the cast is pretty fun to use. It forces me to pick players I would have never bothered to learn like Fuerte. It also lets me try any cool tricks or setups I see in videos.

It's rare for me to pick the same character for more than a couple rounds unless I'm trying something new. Your wakeup teleporting escpae forced me to learn how to option select jump with Ryu/Akuma last night.

edit: (unless I loooooooooove the matchup. I will always pick Akuma if someone picks Sagat. I will practice and miss loop combos all day)
    Losing 10 matches in a row is also motivation to start picking characters :(

Let's play again sometime. Have you played Aumni? I'd be curious to see what those matches look like.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I know man, but the Bison matchup is still in your favor regardless. Your buttons are just better. Gonna be a bit more even with Super's release.

that's pretty much why i stopped playing abel. i hated his buttons. every time i did a sweep i would curse the heavens at how bad it was.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Anyone up for some SFIV practice right now/in the near future?

I could play on PC for a bit now.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

that's pretty much why i stopped playing abel. i hated his buttons. every time i did a sweep i would curse the heavens at how bad it was.

Well, aside from Bison's normals getting nerfed, Abel's are getting buffed. Abel will be possibly high mid or low high tier.

Also lawl Seth KilliGAN.

Hiryu02 on