As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    And I heard they finally cast whatsisname as Cap, so they'll probably start filming that in 2011. I know they're talking about an avengers movie, but they won't even go into pre production until some of the title characters are introduced in the overall cinematic universe.

Dude, what rock are you living under?

Pre-production on The Avengers is well underway, with Zak Penn already having completed the script and Joss Whedon signed to direct.

Done deal.

Also, Whedon is rewriting the script.

Not in a dick way, but with Marvel's blessing and Zak's help

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah, I heard about that.

Keeping my fingers cross on that one. I like Whedon, and thought he worked wonders on Serenity with the budget he was given, but the guy has a very specific dialogue style that could potentially detract from the film.

Hope everything tempers out right.

Atomika on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It'll be like seven to ten years before Marvel gets those back to do as their own.

From what I understand, as long as those studios have a movie in any stage of production, those licenses never expire. It's why Fox has new Daredevil and Fantastic Four movies in the works.

I understood it as that was the old way things were done, like with Dick Tracy (Warren Beaty actually owns the rights) going to a new company if he doesn't start production on a new movie.

But the way it is now Marvel just gave flat fifteen year licenses to the studios. I don't think Disney would have bought Marvel for the movies if there was a chance they could NEVER make a Spider Man, Fantastic Four, or X Men movie.

Also, They re-made the hulk, so it's got to be a different deal

amateurhour on
    edited April 2010

Keeping my fingers cross on that one. I like Whedon, and thought he worked wonders on Serenity with the budget he was given, but the guy has a very specific dialogue style that could potentially detract from the film.

If you haven't, buy the hardcover volume 1 and 2 of Astonishing X-Men. It's his 25 issue run. He can handle Marvel property pretty damn well. Volume 1 hardcover also has a lot of e-mails between him, Joe Q, and some others which show that he takes it seriously.

amateurhour on
    edited April 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Fuck. I finally spring for a Kindle even though tech analysts think there'll be a color version in the near future because I couldn't think of any color applications, and then I find out that Marvel's going digital.

Yeah, I held out because I heard they were teaming with ComiXology and so far the payoff is pretty awesome. They need to seriously update the back issues and work out a proper payment deal with the artists and scanners, but once that's done I'll never buy another single issue of a Marvel Comic again, or any comic really, because ComiXology carries Walking Dead, Invincible, and Buffy

amateurhour on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I have faith. Whedon is far less likely to take Penn's script and perform an abortion on it (see: X-Men 3). And Whedon wrote both my favorite and least favorite line in X-Men 1 (Favorite, because his original answer to "What happens to a toad who gets struck by lightning" is great. Least because they changed said answer to something retarded).
    it croaks

Tomanta on
    edited April 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

I have faith. Whedon is far less likely to take Penn's script and perform an abortion on it (see: X-Men 3). And Whedon wrote both my favorite and least favorite line in X-Men 1 (Favorite, because his original answer to "What happens to a toad who gets struck by lightning" is great. Least because they changed said answer to something retarded).
    it croaks

IMDB doesn't show Whedon as a writer for X-Men. Not that IMDB is 100% or anything, just saying I didn't know that.

amateurhour on
    edited April 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

it croaks

IMDB doesn't show Whedon as a writer for X-Men. Not that IMDB is 100% or anything, just saying I didn't know that.

That's because he didn't get credit for it, but he did do a pass on the script. Story goes only two lines made it in, half of the toad/lightning joke and... I think the other one was Wolverine's "You're a dick" to Scott but not sure.

EDIT: Here is a link that talks a little about what happened.

Tomanta on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optomistic regarding the Deadpool movie.

If they pick up after where X-Men Origins left off, then I hope to god they figure out a way to get rid some of the dumber things they added to him - namely the laser eyes and sword arms. I can live with him keeping the teleportation, because it's a lot easier to for an audience that isn't familiar with Deadpool to accept that he's a mutant who can teleport, rather than a mutant who obtained a belt that allows him to teleport. Kinda like how the Spider-Man movies went with organic web-shooters rather than the wrist mounted web-shooters Parker builds in the comics.

It does seem kind of silly how Spider-Man's primary power is something that anyone with a bit of augmented strength and endurance could use if Peter Parker wasn't hogging it for himself. I consider organic webbing a very reasonable simplification.

jothki on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always felt that Spider-Man's most defining "power" was his Spider-Sense, or at the very least his ability to climb and stick to any surface. I agree that organic webbing is a very reasonable change, just as Deadpool's teleportation ability stemming from a mutation rather than a high-tech device would be acceptable.

Of course, the most important thing about the Deadpool movie would be 4th-wall breaking. :p

Ranadiel on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really, DC has the only properties I want to see movement on right now. If we could get a decent Superman flick or an adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman or New Frontier work, I'd be right as rain.

yeah, about that

gtrmp on
    edited April 2010
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Really, DC has the only properties I want to see movement on right now. If we could get a decent Superman flick or an adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman or New Frontier work, I'd be right as rain.

yeah, about that

I meant live action, not horribly truncated and clumsily toothless cartoon version.

Unfortunately, most of DC's best stories come from their Elseworlds line, whereas Marvel is known for their long archs. Elseworlds don't exactly lend themselves to cinematic adaptations so well, seeing as how they usually involve subverting the central core of the characters involved. I mean, stuff like "Red Son" is great, but I don't know how many regular joes want to see that, and it's hard to build a film like that into a franchise.

Really, in addition to New Frontier, Kingdom Come is the only Elseworlds book that doesn't throw everything to the wind and confuse the hoi polloi.

Atomika on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Sign me up for a proper digital format release. I can't buy comics in stores over here, and ordering seven million TPBs is not a desirable choice.

Yeah, that's a very good point - single issues don't exist here in Sweden. It's TPBs or nothing.

Is it wrong that I actually prefer this? I don't like individual comics. I prefer a full book that will actually last me an hour or two depending on length.

Which is probably why I don't especially care for the current set up. I'd prefer either subscription or the ability to pay for TPBs/bulk.

Quid on
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Sign me up for a proper digital format release. I can't buy comics in stores over here, and ordering seven million TPBs is not a desirable choice.

Yeah, that's a very good point - single issues don't exist here in Sweden. It's TPBs or nothing.

Is it wrong that I actually prefer this? I don't like individual comics. I prefer a full book that will actually last me an hour or two depending on length.

Which is probably why I don't especially care for the current set up. I'd prefer either subscription or the ability to pay for TPBs/bulk.

No, I'm generally right in line with this.

I still buy comics, but I haven't bought a single issue of a series since the mid-nineties. The great thing about the Marvel Ultimate line is that it's definitely formulated to be sold in TPB form, collecting 6-8 issue runs that complete a story arc. DC is pretty good about that style of set-up, too, though I can't say their stories really suck me in other than their recent runs on Catwoman, Superman/Batman, and The Spirit.

Atomika on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sure, but importing individual TPBs is expensive as fuck considering the number of volumes in an average series. It's a good way to keep up with a specific line, but if you want to keep up with several series at once, it's still a logistic and financial nightmare.

Ultimately I prefer omnibi and bulk collections. The Dark Horse Star Wars collections being a good example. Or the 1000+ page Garth Ennis Punisher book. But these are often limited releases and not really as common as they should be.

So, as someone that doesn't have access to comics without incurring massive import fees and taxes and weeks of waiting, I'd be extremely happy if there was some sort of digital solution. I don't mind reading comics on my PC anyway.

Edit: If they just fill the publishing holes in Marvel Digital Comics and make a nicer web-reader, it'd be perfect. Especially since I'm not knowledgeable enough about comics that I'd feel confident paying for individual issues.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited April 2010
    So, as someone that doesn't have access to comics without incurring massive import fees and taxes and shit, I'd be extremely happy if there was some sort of digital solution. I don't mind reading comics on my PC anyway.

There's an app for that.

Atomika on
    edited April 2010
    Right, I know. But I don't want to pay them for the privilege of being able to read only half a series, starting at #23

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited April 2010
    Right, I know. But I don't want to pay them for the privilege of being able to read only half a series, starting at #23.

Then Amazon may be the place you should look, if they'll ship to you crazy Danes.

Atomika on
    edited April 2010
    Right, but I want to read stuff that has been released after 2005. And if I start buying newer TPBs on Amazon, I might as well declare myself bankrupt with those shipping fees. It's simply not feasible to keep up with that stuff where I live.

Edit: I see the iPad app allows you to buy individual comics. Does it have the exact same catalogue as the digital comics store?

Cherrn on
    edited April 2010
    Right, but I want to read stuff that has been released after 2005. And if I start buying newer TPBs on Amazon, I might as well declare myself bankrupt with those shipping fees. It's simply not feasible to keep up with that stuff where I live.

Well, at least you get Tintin and Asterisk & Obelisk.

Whatever that is.

Is the shipping really that bad? Can't you get stuff from Amazon.UK or something?

Atomika on
    edited April 2010
    Amazon UK still applies VAT and standard shipping fees, which usually ends up at least doubling the cost. Like I said, it's not that bad if I just wanted to get, say, the New Avengers books, but actually keeping up and branching out would be an enormous moneysink. Comics are expensive enough as it is.

Which is why the Digital Comics store is a fantastic idea. I just wish there weren't so many incomplete series. I don't mind that they're a year behind, but it sucks having holes in storylines.

Cherrn on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I always felt that Spider-Man's most defining "power" was his Spider-Sense,

Not just his sense, but his general reflexes, flexibility and speed, I think. Tons of guys are on a similar strength level as him, but the style in which he fights is pretty much unique. Not even the ninja trained dudes move like him.

Scooter on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Marvel Inc makes comics like Nintendo used to make Pogs and Boardgames.

Started the company, but they're in a period of expansion and it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel Studios became the major focus.

dispatch.o on
    edited April 2010
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Started the company, but they're in a period of expansion and it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel Studios became the major focus.

Well, the studio is already the primary focus, so that's settled. As Thanatos cited, non-comic income makes up 3/4th of Marvel's revenue, most of that generated by movies.

But comics are the cornerstone of the industry, and were well before movies were popular, and will be again when the fad finally passes. I'd say that comic movies, as a movement, have less than 10 good years in them before they go back to being outre. There's just not that many stories or reboots you can do before burning the public out.

Atomika on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

Well, the studio is already the primary focus, so that's settled. As Thanatos cited, non-comic income makes up 3/4th of Marvel's revenue, most of that generated by movies.

But comics are the cornerstone of the industry, and were well before movies were popular, and will be again when the fad finally passes. I'd say that comic movies, as a movement, have less than 10 good years in them before they go back to being outre. There's just not that many stories or reboots you can do before burning the public out.

I'd say that it's less a fad than a cash-out. They've built up all these properties, and you can only make remakes so frequently.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited April 2010
    I'd say that it's less a fad than a cash-out. They've built up all these properties, and you can only make remakes so frequently.

Maybe that's a better phrasing: cash-out.

Batman rebooted well enough with not all that much time between continuities, as did the Norton Hulk movie. But yeah, you can only squeeze so much blood from those franchises before the public just stops caring.

"Didn't we already see Spider-Man 3?"

"No, dad, this is Spectacular Spider-Man 3."

"Oh. Is Venom in this one?"

"No, had has his own movie."

"Right. Spider-Man 3."

"No, Venom: The Movie."

"Oh. Well, you kids just go. I'm taking a nap."

Atomika on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Most recently, as in this week, they've signed master writer and director Joss Whedon to take the helm of their Avengers franchise.

dface0hz.gif

Salvation122 on
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if they shift over to TV in a few years (beyond the currently crop of animated shows, either doing some more mature animated shows or a live action show or two).

Tomanta on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm apprehensive about Whedon.

He has a distinctive style that I find incredibly annoying more than half the time.

Anyways, I can't do standard superhero comics any more. All the old standby properties have gotten incredibly inbred with massive plot history idiocy--I think it's kind of funny how DC has to commit mass superhero genocide (Crisis style) every 15-20 years just to keep everything running smoothly--even the Ultimate stuff is kind of stale to me these days. It's awful when characters become so precious to a brand that there's no real concern for their well-being from the readers. Captain America and Superman weren't dead-dead. They were marketing gimmick dead, and there are easy cures for that.

I enjoy the movies though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm apprehensive about Whedon.

He has a distinctive style that I find incredibly annoying more than half the time.

Anyways, I can't do standard superhero comics any more. All the old standby properties have gotten incredibly inbred with massive plot history idiocy--I think it's kind of funny how DC has to commit mass superhero genocide (Crisis style) every 15-20 years just to keep everything running smoothly--even the Ultimate stuff is kind of stale to me these days. It's awful when characters become so precious to a brand that there's no real concern for their well-being from the readers. Captain America and Superman weren't dead-dead. They were marketing gimmick dead, and there are easy cures for that.

I enjoy the movies though.

Yes, but we can't let it stop until we see "Midlife Crisis."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited April 2010
    There never will be a Midlife Crisis. Crises are the DC equivalent to the Carrousel ceremony from Logan's Run. The maximum age for any mainline hero is like 34. Then the lifeclock in their palm blinks red and they get brutally "renewed".

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Nintendo made fancy paper cards. Then other types of smaller electronic and mechanical toys. Then they made gallery shooters, Game and Watches, then Video Games.

Love Hotels are also somewhere in that early mix.

It's a fair comparison. But unlike Nintendo Marvel is going to rely on its original business to drum up sales for their new one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2010
    There never will be a Midlife Crisis. Crises are the DC equivalent to the Carrousel ceremony from Logan's Run. The maximum age for any mainline hero is like 34. Then the lifeclock in their palm blinks red and they get brutally "renewed".

34 isn't midlife crisis range?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010

Nah. Gotta be at least 40.

The 34 year old that gets a tattoo and a motorcycle is just a reckless douchebag.

The 44 year old that does the same thing is searching for something.

Atomika on
    edited April 2010

No, that's when guys start to peak. Unless you're talking about the Infinite Crisis, in which case yes, that's what I said.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2010

No, that's when guys start to peak. Unless you're talking about the Infinite Crisis, in which case yes, that's what I said.

If you peak at 34, why can't bicyclists win past 32?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    If you peak at 34, why can't bicyclists win past 32?

Shame. At somepoint, wearing hotpants and tanktops and continually riding on something hard and pointy means something other than just being a cyclist.

Atomika on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

Punisher: Warzone was completely terrible. I mean, it went beyond so-terrible-it's-now-a-comedy terrible. In fact, I voted for it to be best comedy of the year.

Yeah, but compare P:W, which is agreeably the worst marvel studios release, to Hulk (not incredible), The Punisher (travolta), or Daredevil (which I honestly loved, but that's me)

Hey! I kinda liked Thomas Jane's Punisher. It was nice and gritty, still kinda human. Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't...terrible. Daredevil. Well, lets just say that Daredevil was much better as a Rifftrax.

I have been reading Punisher comics since I was a kid. The Punisher is my favorite comic book character.

The Thomas Jane portrayal was the best of the three Punisher films to date, for all it's storyline issues. War Zone was utter shit and made me sad. The script was so awful Jane wouldn't touch it.

Regina Fong on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whedon directing The Avengers has lowered the potential of me seeing it to like maybe 10%.

The man has absolutely no outstanding talent.

Warcry on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

Punisher: Warzone was completely terrible. I mean, it went beyond so-terrible-it's-now-a-comedy terrible. In fact, I voted for it to be best comedy of the year.

Yeah, but compare P:W, which is agreeably the worst marvel studios release, to Hulk (not incredible), The Punisher (travolta), or Daredevil (which I honestly loved, but that's me)

Hey! I kinda liked Thomas Jane's Punisher. It was nice and gritty, still kinda human. Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't...terrible. Daredevil. Well, lets just say that Daredevil was much better as a Rifftrax.

I have been reading Punisher comics since I was a kid. The Punisher is my favorite comic book character.

The Thomas Jane portrayal was the best of the three Punisher films to date, for all it's storyline issues. War Zone was utter shit and made me sad. The script was so awful Jane wouldn't touch it.

It makes me sad that you say such things

Because Punisher: War Zone was everything that I wanted from a Punisher movie and everything that the Thomas Jane Punisher failed to deliver

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.