As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

1575859606163»

• Options
    ArdentMarauderArdentMarauder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a photo scrub, but since I'm sent all over the world for work, often alone, I have had the oppertunity to take photos in some really amazing places. To that end, however, I'm not familiar with photoshop or the like, and I'm not really sure that I'm interested in learning. I kinda like having the photos as things actually are. That in mind, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions y'all have, there's some truly phenominal talent hanging around here :)

Rome_127.jpg
    Rome, Just outside of the train station.

Paris_016.jpg
    The Eiffel Tower... as if you didn't recognize it...

London_119.jpg
    Big Ben and the houses of Parliment, London

Rome_217.jpg
    The Colesium, Rome

Dublin_19.jpg
    Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

ArdentMarauder on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    saltiness wrote: »
    Shadows are confusing on that one. I like the idea though.

I thought the same thing. The way the light is hitting you and hitting the background is inconsistent. The drop shadow or whatever it is from you to the wall doesn't look right. Admittedly its probably better than something I could do but it still doesn't look right.

This person has a fair number of levitating photos if you look around their portfolio. The page linked in the last sentence has a few in the middle of the page. I think the way she does it is take a photo of her laying/sitting on something and then take another photo without her or the object she is on there and then merge it that way. Hers are quite a bit less surreal than what it looks like you were going for so I'm not sure if that will help.

That's actually the way I did it. The problem, as salti confirmed for me, is the 2nd flash from the right of the camera that is painting all those weird shadows on the chest / lighting the right shoulder too much.

needOptic on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To that end, however, I'm not familiar with photoshop or the like, and I'm not really sure that I'm interested in learning. I kinda like having the photos as things actually are. That in mind, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions y'all have, there's some truly phenominal talent hanging around here :)

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. Do you just mean that you don't want to use any photo software? Most of the advice given here doesn't involve software and is much more about concept/composition/lighting/etc. Your coliseum shot is my favorite of the bunch. The others don't do much for me.

anable on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you don't like using Photoshop, you might get a lot of enjoyment out of using a tool like Lightroom, which is focused more on basic photo improvements like noise reduction, white balance, clarity, shadows/highlights, and stuff like that. It's a great developing tool, and it's more for people like you (and me) who don't want to merge things together for surreal/unreal pictures.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Someone make a new thread.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.