As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The push back rumor worked well since every company pushed their games out of the holiday season, to avoid MW2.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All I know is Avellone's been pretty open about the fact that the game's been ready to go since forever ago, and he just wants them to put it on the shelves already. Whatever the reason is, the game's done, has been for a long time, and even he can't/isn't able to say why it's not in our hands right now.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The stealth pack pre-order has been confirmed for Best buy
    http://www.joystiq.com/photos/alpha-protocol-pre-order-bonus-best-buy/2898032/#2898031

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    boxart is funny.

Penis gun.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blue dotting.

Basically, I see doing it the James Bond/Jason Bourne method. That is, the early stages of a mission will probably focus more on stealth, gathering intel, fucking some chick that knows something about my target, etc. Then, I'm going to kill everyone and everything that gets in my way in the most brutal and efficent way possible.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's funny. I hate James Bond. I've never seen any of the Bourne movies (or read the books), and I certainly haven't seen 24, but I'm super excited about this game.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hopefully they had enough time on their hands to add an Archer to the mix.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The stealth pack pre-order has been confirmed for Best buy
    http://www.joystiq.com/photos/alpha-protocol-pre-order-bonus-best-buy/2898032/#2898031

Assuming it is similar to Gamestop's deal it only applies to the console versions.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, props for the OP. Good OP.

Before this comes out I have to rewatch all the good James Bond movies, all the Jason Bourne movies, the Austin Powers movies, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, and... anything else? Don't want to watch 24 because I don't care about 24.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The rumor was that they wanted to avoid Bioware's big titles. It was originally like the same week as Dragon Age, and supposedly they wanted to give ME2 a wide berth because of the superficial similarities (They're RPGS! and have Guns!). Maybe something about splinter cell too

To be fair, the similarities aren't entirely superficial. They seem near identical in terms of gameplay.

And I do wish this would incorporate Archer's style. I would totally take that path.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The rumor was that they wanted to avoid Bioware's big titles. It was originally like the same week as Dragon Age, and supposedly they wanted to give ME2 a wide berth because of the superficial similarities (They're RPGS! and have Guns!). Maybe something about splinter cell too

To be fair, the similarities aren't entirely superficial. They seem near identical in terms of gameplay.

And I do wish this would incorporate Archer's style. I would totally take that path.

[Headslam] would be replaced with [Get Drunk And Shoot a Hooker, Then Lie to Your Girlfriend About It]

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should hire H Jon Benjamin as a voice for this game. He can take Nolan North's spot.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should hire H Jon Benjamin as a voice for this game. He can take Nolan North's spot.

yeah and they can add the ping pong paddle pre-order bonus

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Obsidian's PAX East panel about choices in games is now up. It is about an hour long.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/04/16/alpha-protocol-obsidian-entertainment-pax-but-thou-must/

Tertiee on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Damnt, every time I see this thread bumped I expect to hear how its being sold early.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was just about to post that

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't think Steam ever breaks street date.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That presentation was awesome. Someone change the title to "Proving being Pro-choice is cool since 1970"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was either the best or worst corporate presentation I've ever seen. Drink up, bitches.

And a new contender for most intense facial hair in the industry.

And interesting content or whatever.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's a pretty cool video.

My biggest peeve isn't one specific to Alpha Protocol, it's a problem with every video game to ever have a helicopter crash. That rocket exploded along the body of the helicopter, and it spun down like the tail rotor was disabled. Helicopters don't spin down to crash like that of their own accord. It looks cool, but I hate that it's become the "default" crash animation. But I guess that's just a problem with fiction in general. Like how guns always make the cocking sound if you point one at somebody.

edit: And I'm skipping around the video a little. What is the rule to their drinking game? It seems random.
    edit2: Oh, "choice." That's good stuff.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I lined up over an hour early for that panel and didn't get in. I'm so glad I can finally watch it.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jesus. Characters will even respond based on what you're wearing.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Damn, that panel makes this game seem super ambitious. I'm intrigued.

edit: Since there's no "Mother Teresa/baby eater" choice system here, I might make my Michael Thorton a badasser version of myself.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010

edit: Since there's no "Mother Teresa/baby eater" choice system here, I might make my Michael Thorton a badasser version of myself.

As a baby eater, I am offended.

But yes, the doing away with good/evil points is a wonderful thing. I hope the industry breaks away from that as soon as humanly possible, because nothing good can come of it.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

As a baby eater, I am offended.

But yes, the doing away with good/evil points is a wonderful thing. I hope the industry breaks away from that as soon as humanly possible, because nothing good can come of it.

It makes sense in a Star Wars game or something, but I completely agree.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well not necessarily. Force Lightning used to be able to be used by "Good" Jedi, but it got sort of shooed into "Lightning is evil, only Siths can use it". Lightning then became only a power badass evil Jedi could use. It doesn't really work like that. (I guess it's sort of like Infamous, where you can have lightning, or more evil destructive lightning. It depends on how you and your conscience wish to use your power.)

edit: Although I might need some nudging to decide what to do...I might just be Bourne the entire game. Bond became a parody of itself before it had to overhaul the franchise image by ripping off a guy like Bourne, and Bauer is on a show that is terrible.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That's a false dichotomy. Call it good vs. evil or nice vs. dick, or whatever the fuck you want, but as long as you give a spread of available responses to events with type of action linked in some visual way to a specific color or key, you're going to have the same result.

People sticking to one path or another because it "feels right" or whatever.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's a false dichotomy. Call it good vs. evil or nice vs. dick, or whatever the fuck you want, but as long as you give a spread of available responses to events with type of action linked in some visual way to a specific color or key, you're going to have the same result.

People sticking to one path or another because it "feels right" or whatever.

Seriously, you need to watch this video, because you're kinda pretty much wrong. If you give a player points for doing something, the game becomes more about collecting those points than picking a choice that makes narrative sense for your character. I can't count the number of times I made a decision I didn't think was "right" for my character in Mass Effect 2 because I was scared I wouldn't have enough Paragon points to convince someone of something in a dialog. That's a clear case of a gameplay mechanic that impedes story progress, and in a game that's supposed to be about story, that just doesn't fly.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    3) Which fucking video. "Watch the video" does not include any content that forms a coherent rebuttal.

The only one on this page.
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Obsidian's PAX East panel about choices in games is now up. It is about an hour long.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/04/16/alpha-protocol-obsidian-entertainment-pax-but-thou-must/
    Go watch it. Right now.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1) Achievers are going to horde whatever you give them, be it Paragon and Renegade points or ranks with a certain contact.

3) Which fucking video. "Watch the video" does not include any content that forms a coherent rebuttal.

1. Which is why it's so great. You get bonus points no matter how you respond.

3. the video of the PAX panel that was a few posts back

And I'm also seriously happy that they referenced QfG multiple times in the presentation. Character importing more than a decade before ME2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm again voting for the topic title to be thus "Proving being Pro-choice is cool since 1970"

Jdark, watch that video, its long as hell but they break it down that there is so much depth going on that it takes something like 69 days to make 2.5 minutes of gameplay. Theres actions and reactions to things in past scenes, current scenes, etc. Its no wonder games don't make such ambitious titles but I give them much credit for it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait for this game to run like shit on my computer

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can see why it took them 4 years instead of Mass Effect's 2.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I might just buy this for 360 and PC if I can swing it.

This is mostly unrelated, but I really wish GoG or something could get the rights to Planescape Torment.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jason Bourne / Jack Bauer all the way

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    From hyped to drunk in half an hour flat. Truly an amazing amount of choice.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Your weapon is cirrhosis.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My sympathy goes out to their bladders.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Michael Westen all the way

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Michael Weston all the way

jeffrey_donovan_michael_weston_123.jpg