As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New iPhone leaked

QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Social Entropy++
500x_iphone4_01.jpg
While Apple may tinker with the final packaging and design of the final phone, it's clear that the features in this lost-and-found next-generation iPhone are drastically new and drastically different from what came before. Here's the detailed list of our findings:
What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera
• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
• Camera flash
• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
• Split buttons for volume
• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
What's changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Why we think it's definitely real

We're as skeptical—if not more—than all of you. We get false tips all the time. But after playing with it for about a week—the overall quality feels exactly like a finished final Apple phone—and disassembling this unit, there is so much evidence stacked in its favor, that there's very little possibility that it's a fake. In fact, the possibility is almost none. Imagine someone having to use Apple components to design a functioning phone, from scratch, and then disseminating it to people around the world. Pretty much impossible. Here are the reasons, one by one.

It has been reported lost
Apple-connected John Gruber—from Daring Fireball—says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:
So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back.

Obviously someone found it, and here it is.

The screen
While we couldn't get it past the connect to iTunes screen for the reasons listed earlier, the USB cable on that screen was so high quality that it was impossible to discern individual pixels. We can't tell you the exact resolution of this next-generation iPhone, but it's much higher than the current iPhone 3GS.

The operating system
According to the person who found it, this iPhone was running iPhone OS 4.0 before the iPhone 4.0 announcement. The person was able to play with it and see the iPhone 4.0 features. Then, Apple remotely killed the phone before we got access to it. We were unable to restore because each firmware is device specific—3GS firmware only loads on 3GS devices—and the there are no firmwares available for this unreleased phone. Which is another clue to its authenticity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbHCR-W8zc&feature=player_embedded

via Giz

QuestionMarkMan on

• RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hot damn

Robcham on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    there's an apple thread

Weaver on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i was reading in the technology forum that this is fake
    or something

i think

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Leaked from the outer dark. This device is born form the House of Satan.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll leak on your Apple

Abracadaniel on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Psh

AT&T won't allow video calling til November 2011

Alpine on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will maybe get this phone

it is attractive to me

The Black Hunter on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can it make me smugger? More smug? Whatevs

posted from my iPhone

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, if it's real I hope they change the case. Those silver buttons look pretty crap compared to the stuff Apple usually puts out.

KalTorak on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the new 4g will have 90% of nexus one functionality instead of 60%

JohnnyCache on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jokes aside, I don't like it, not just because I've had my 3GS for less than a year

Too bricky

Alpine on
    edited April 2010

elaborate

Abracadaniel on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Posting from my iPhone.

I dunno if I like the boxy look over the slippery rounded one.

Sara Lynn on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Posting from my iPhone.

I dunno if I like the boxy look over the slippery rounded one.

If they're goign the boxy route I'd rather they used the unibody approach (though they'd need a plastic strip for signal).

KalTorak on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still have a regular-ass phone. Like it flips open I can call people or send them a text message. It doesn't have a keyboard or anything.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited April 2010
    android users are seriously the linux users of the smart phone world

this post proves its true.

teefs

Android is linux

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2010

[Deleted User] on
    edited April 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I still have a regular-ass phone. Like it flips open I can call people or send them a text message. It doesn't have a keyboard or anything.

For most of my childhood, my dad considered cordless phones to be an elitist extravagance.

KalTorak on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

teefs, come on. Linux is a fiddly thing for nerds. Android phones just... have better hardware and do more stuff and don't cost as much.

let it go, man. Let it go.

this is 2010, man, bizzaro future. Now we like microsoft and fear apple. Step out of '95, man.

JohnnyCache on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have an android phone but only because I don't like virtual keyboards. If they made an iphone with a slidey keyboard i would snatch it up.

Langly on
    edited April 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I have an android phone but only because I don't like virtual keyboards. If they made an iphone with a slidey keyboard i would snatch it up.

If I were to get a smart phone I would get an Android for exactly this reason.

Unfortunately I can't afford a new phone or a data plan so I'm just going to keep using my regular-ass phone.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited April 2010

teefs, come on. Linux is a fiddly thing for nerds. Android phones just... have better hardware and do more stuff and don't cost as much.

this is 2010, man, bizzaro future. Now we like microsoft and fear apple. Step out of '95, man.

sorry the iphone rocks and is better than your dinky google phone.

I have a droid

It is cool because it does every thing an iphone does

plus you can throw it at bears

JohnnyCache on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Criticizing the iPhone makes you a loser cause Apple is so hip.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited April 2010

this post

Abracadaniel on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i've had my iphone for almost a year and i am still terrible at texting with it

oh well!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited April 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can iphones use google voice? Because it is pretty cool making all calls fo free.

Langly on
    edited April 2010
    Although I am super happy that Android has become more common and actively developed. Competition is a good thing for the smartphone market.

t Langly: there isn't an official app since Google and Apple broke up, there's a decent jailbreak one and the mobile interface is pretty decent. I wish Google had been allowed to release theirs. It's just sour grapes b/t'em.

Abracadaniel on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The iPhone autocompletion/correction thing kinda irks me once in a while. I just wanna type hell without it trying to correct the word as he'll. And other assorted irritating words. Plus my fingers feel too fat sometimes

those ads with the phone typing stuff by sliding it all around the keyboard without lifting your finger looks intriguing.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man, everyone has an iphone

I use this other smartphone, it's pretty obscure

you probably haven't heard of it

Centipede Damascus on
    edited April 2010

is it European?

KalTorak on
    edited April 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hi5
    KalTorak wrote: »

is it European?

Whatever. I had the phone you have back when only two other people had it. It's gotten way too mainstream, the manufacturer really sold out.

Delzhand on
    edited April 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Hi5

Me too - mine barely has a color screen, and there's a lens on the back but I sure wouldn't call it a camera.

I'm jumping in the smartphone pool this summer though.

KalTorak on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

okay grandpa

did you forget how to change the channel to Fox News again? do I need to help you?

Centipede Damascus on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

Hi5

jitterbug:whistle:

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am getting pretty frustrated with Apple and their limitations on their iPhone.

Considering pretty strongly jumping ship.

Unless the iPhone 4 is like super-jailbreakable.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.