As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BIGMAN CLUB

• King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    King Nada wrote: »
    Always good to see others doing well to keep us motivated. I started at 212 and am down to 180 in about 6 months. My goal was around 175 slowly working off that bottom bit of stomach fat.

Nice. I'm in the same boat. started at ~ 205. Working towards 175 - 180. I've put on a bit of muscle but have dropped weight overall. At ~ 190 now.

How tall are you? I was at about 185 for the better part of a year, and at 6'3", that meant I was rail-thin. I guess it'd be better if you got down to that weight while gaining muscle mass, though.

6 foot. I'm definitely getting skinnier, but i'm not rail thin by a long shot.

King Nada on
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, today I squatted 65kg 3x5 quite easily. Had minor knee and hip pain beforehand, but squatting kinda helped with it, I think. The knee has been a bit sore since yesterday, where I went on a short run. I'm definitely sticking to less rough cardio for now.
    Also, it seems like the reset I did of my squat almost a month ago is working smoothly, if I can keep it up adding 2.5 kg to the bar each week, I'll be at 80kg within 6 weeks. That's so close to a bodyweight squat I can almost taste it, and one step closer to being a real bigman! Fuck yes.
    /end livejournal
    celandine wrote: »
    I like chinups as sort of a gauge that I'm gaining "good" weight. As a lady that tends to freak me out -- OMG attack of the big-butt -- but if I can do twice as many chinups after gaining ten pounds I must have done it right.
    Ain't nothing wrong with a big butt!

Rasmus on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rasmus wrote: »
    I like chinups as sort of a gauge that I'm gaining "good" weight. As a lady that tends to freak me out -- OMG attack of the big-butt -- but if I can do twice as many chinups after gaining ten pounds I must have done it right.

A) My sister made a point of letting me know my backside is outgrowing the seat of my pants. :x

B) Unfortunately, the majority of women are severely misinformed about what size their behind should be. :P

Hamurabi on
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

A) My sister made a point of letting me know my backside is outgrowing the seat of my pants. :x

B) Unfortunately, the majority of women are severely misinformed about what size their behind should be. :P

I've gained around 5 kg since December (more or less), and as one of my friends pointed out to me, a bit of it has definitely gone to my chin. That's far worse than the ass to be frank!

Rasmus on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I've gained around 5 kg since December (more or less), and as one of my friends pointed out to me, a bit of it has definitely gone to my chin. That's far worse than the ass to be frank!

Man. I get that too. My family on both sides has a fair bit of double chin going on. Genetics are stacked against me. Gotta keep going to the gym if I am going to keep a single chin.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I want to quote this from the last thread in case psyck0 didn't see it:
    big l wrote:
    psyck0 wrote:
    Well, I need some advice. I'm pretty much done linear progression. My squat is done at 3x5x345, my deadlift hasn't stalled yet but I've been hitching the last few reps every time at 1x5x385, and my upper body has been done for a while even though my bench is only 3x5x165 because my upper body is a pussy. I have my first powerlifting meet in under 8 weeks. What should I do until then? It doesn't seem long enough to start a 5/3/1 or something like that.

The options I thought of are 1) grind out some more linear stuff with more resets, maybe squeeze out 10-15 lbs that way, 2) test my 1RM this week, do smolov for squat for 3 weeks, then do another smolov jr for bench after that leaving me with 1 week before my meet to deload.

Any alternatives? What would you suggest? Thanks, lady and gents.

Edit: Beef, why don't you put it in the next OP? That's not snarck, btw.
    I checked back in my log. 8 weeks out from my meet, I was squatting 325#x3x5 high bar, and I did 345#x3x5 (where you're at) just 20 days before the meet, and I ended up squatting 418#. I basically just did linear progression with a reset to switch from high to low bar, and between the 345# I just did a couple more 3x5s and with a couple days mixed in where I only did singles. I had so much less time between 345# and my meet that my experience doesn't have too much to suggest in the way of programming, but it gives you an idea of what weight on the bar to aim for.

So basically, you should try to hit well over 400# at your meet. Obviously can't exactly tell where you'll be at this far out, but I think 200kg/440# would be a good round number for a target 3rd attempt.

big l on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I got that, sorry I didn't say anything! That is really encouraging for me to hear, I was thinking I would max out around 400. I figure I'll test my 1RMs 2 weeks before the meet and plan my lifts from that.

Did Romanian deadlifts today because my back has been feeling weak. I forgot how much fun they are.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Day after Volume session on Texas Method

I feel like my ass has been carved out of me, like I have a piece of melted butter just waiting to explode on the first unsuspecting innocent bystander

hectorse on
    edited April 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    Day after Volume session on Texas Method

I feel like my ass has been carved out of me, like I have a piece of melted butter just waiting to explode on the first unsuspecting innocent bystander

This metaphor... I don't even know. There're just no words.

Just D:.

Hamurabi on
  • grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jeff210 wrote: »
    Took a few weeks off of squating because I was preparing for the CN tower climb. Done that now and was back in the gym yesterday doing front squats. Can we talk about how awesome front squats are. I feel much more comfortable going really really deep with heavy weight with the bar up front than I do in high or low bar squats.

Front squats are awesome, and they are definitely the easiest to hit A2G in due to the requirement for a vertical torso, easier than high bar back squats. Great way to build quads if one so desires.

That Konstantiovs pull-up video is the one I also show people when they complain about being "too big" to do pull-ups and try to sub lat pull-downs instead.

grambo on
    grambo..png
    edited April 2010
    I think the Konstantinov pull-up video is one of the more impressive feats of strength I've seen on the internet. 55 pull-ups at nearly 300#?!?! And his kip is pretty subdued, he's no Crossfitter. I am also a big FS fan and will be doing some later today! I like getting a little extra quad and ab work from them. They also carry over to lots of other lifts where the quads are important, like push press and all the Olys. If you are used to back squatting and only back squatting, your push press is going to be very ugly. As you dip, your quads and glutes won't be strong enough to do the lift themselves and you'll have to lean forward to stretch out the hamstrings and get them contributing, and then you are pushing at diagonal rather than vertical angle, which is obviously bad if you are trying to move the bar vertically to overhead. Strength is positional, and the front squat is so much better than the back squat in developing strength in a vertical back position, which is a nice card to have in your back pocket to whip out when you need it for a push press or something.

big l on
    edited April 2010
    I tried to incorporate push pressed reps into my regular overheads when I reached failure, but I just couldn't get the momentum in my legs to continue all the way up, and probably looked stupid trying. Never front squatting might explain that.

Where would I even fit FS into Tube's Mk. II? Again: I do squats + bench on Monday, DLs on Wednesday, and squat + overhead on Friday.

Hamurabi on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First rest day after starting strength a...

oh my god I think I just ate half a chicken and a pound of asparagus and squash

Dsmart on
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's a good writeup on the biomechanics of a deadlift. I enjoy reading these things, I'm guessing a few of you might too.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/biomechanical_analysis_of_dl.htm

Brucelee41042 on
  • WafflesauceWafflesauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Always good to see others doing well to keep us motivated. I started at 212 and am down to 180 in about 6 months. My goal was around 175 slowly working off that bottom bit of stomach fat.

Nice. I'm in the same boat. started at ~ 205. Working towards 175 - 180. I've put on a bit of muscle but have dropped weight overall. At ~ 190 now.

How tall are you? I was at about 185 for the better part of a year, and at 6'3", that meant I was rail-thin. I guess it'd be better if you got down to that weight while gaining muscle mass, though.

6 foot. I'm definitely getting skinnier, but i'm not rail thin by a long shot.

I am 5-9. Put on a fair amount of muscle also. Really happy with my results so far.

Wafflesauce on
    edited April 2010
    You're not supposed to try and lose weight! C'mon people! :P

Hamurabi on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Haha, oh man. So in the last thread I was asking you guys about pre-workout drinks, and per your advice I've stopped taking them. It's nice to feel the aftereffects of squats, so good.

Meissnerd on
    edited April 2010
    Im' gonna eat what my body demands but not more--id' rather the program take longer and not CRITICALLY ENDANGER my beautiful proportions

Dsmart on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's a good writeup on the biomechanics of a deadlift. I enjoy reading these things, I'm guessing a few of you might too.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/biomechanical_analysis_of_dl.htm
    Good stuff, thanks

Joe Chemo on
    edited April 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Im' gonna eat what my body demands but not more--id' rather the program take longer and not CRITICALLY ENDANGER my beautiful proportions

Sacrifices in the name of a good cause! Look at the second picture I posted on page 2 -- do you see those love handles?!

Hamurabi on
    edited April 2010
    A good article was posted in the H/A thread.

big l on
  • King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're not supposed to try and lose weight! C'mon people! :P

You're not the boss of me. I do what I want! :P

King Nada on
    edited April 2010
    my last two meals were insane.

2 hard boiled eggs+ squash

and then

1 mahi steak, 1 1/2 pork chops, 2 boneless chicken breasts+ asparagus

Is this too much fat? At least I got enough protein today good lord

Dsmart on
    edited April 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    my last two meals were insane.

2 hard boiled eggs+ squash

and then

1 mahi steak, 1 1/2 pork chops, 2 boneless chicken breasts+ asparagus

Is this too much fat? At least I got enough protein today good lord

Fat don't make fat.

Carbs do.

That seems like superb bigman eating

hectorse on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy jesus that is a lot of meat. Don't go overboard on this, eat what you are comfortable with. If you were that hungry, OK, but you're just starting off, don't try to engorge yourself.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How come there's a lot of hate towards crossfit?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this is a dot post

since i have nothing to add

other than my knee is hurty and i was dumb for squatting

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

most of it's because the certification process is junk

a lot of crossfit gyms are straight up jokes, either doing nothing but pushups a pullups while slandering all other methods, or teaching people to do high rep olympic lifts with terrible form. The lack of standards is why a lot of big names like Rippetoe have separated from CF.

Proper crossfit has a lot of good stuff (though some silly stuff too like all out refusing to ever do a bench press)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited April 2010
    there's a pretty legit well run crossfit place by a well known dude over in brooklyn that also runs a starting strength program

but they are out of your fucking mind expensive
    out
    of
    your mind

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2010
    this is a dot post

since i have nothing to add

other than my knee is hurty and i was dumb for squatting

Incidentally, my knee is giving me malarchy for the first time after a squat PR. Was moving some milk crates at work yesterday, went to one knee for a second and the pain was omfgwtf.

I'm also glad to hear Dave Tate reaffirm my preference for barbell work over isolation machines. I have noticed my calves getting bigger as my squat improved, even after weeks of following Tube's Mk. II and doing standing calf-raises to no avail.

Hamurabi on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    there's a pretty legit well run crossfit place by a well known dude over in brooklyn that also runs a starting strength program

out
    of
    your mind

yeah the ones near me cost like $1600/yr

sorry folks, but i ain't doling out that kind of cash to due your workout of the day which consists solely of sprints

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited April 2010

Greg Glassman, the creator, is borderline crazy and is extremely disrespectful to pillars of the fitness community like Dan John. Many CFers don't know much about fitness except what they learn through CF, and thus have an extremely warped view of the reality of fitness, biased heavily in favor of CF (read the CF forums and besides a few good posters, your brains will drip out your nose). And while some CF gyms may do their own thing that is decent, the mainpage workouts are really stupid. Not enough strength work, not enough rest, too many reps of everything, an obsession with everything being "for time", use of silly and dangerous movements like the sumo deadlift highpull and the thruster, use of movements like the Olympic lifts in a manner which predisposes the trainee to injury and ingraining bad motor patterns, overuse of otherwise safe movements like GHD situps and jumping or kipping pullups which predisposes the trainee to injury and rhabdomyolysis. No set progression for the trainee to work with, no customization for the trainee's particular needs or goals, a stupid policy on scaling the workouts for those incapable of completing them as RXed.

What cheeses my shorts the most is the "fittest man/woman in the world" crap from the CF games. At the last CF games they had a huge banner up which said "Our workouts are competitive events. The strength and value of Brossfit lies entirely in our dominance of other athletes. This is a truth divined through competition, not debate" which is really a load of shit. The fittest person in the world isn't a CFer, they are a professional athlete somewhere getting paid real money to play a real sport. And your athletes are consistently the ones being dominated when they enter any competition besides the CF games. That is, when they do enter a competition, which is rarely, since "their workouts are competitive events". All the "we're so elite" bullshit attitude kind of stuff. Tons of fitness programs have this kind of thing but CF particularly grinds my gears.

big l on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Minor bit of cam whoring, only because I flexed for the first time in a little while and realized that I'm starting to have a man's arms and it's mostly thanks to you good people, so I thought I'd share:
    4538960141_e34a1a818e.jpg

Bonus headshot of my lovely wife that my camera chose to have in better focus than me.

Peen on
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Haven't posted in a week or so. Felt like I need to hop on this holy fuck syndalis bandwagon, cause holy fuck man, good work!

Jyardana on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gettin some big arms there culdra

so i never made it to the gym last night, but i'm gonna hit it tonight. guaranteed. we shall see what my elbow limits me to!

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

out
    of
    your mind

numbers

Joe Chemo on
    edited April 2010
    I don't like CF because of the things Big L mentioned plus one big part:

they are ridiculously expensive

For the $100+ a month most boxes charge, you could build yourself a nice gym, fly to Texas or LA and find a GOOD trainer, spend 3 days there, learn all you need to learn and go back and be set for a whole lot. Also Starting Strength and Practical Programming are like $40 on amazon.

The gym I train at is kind of the same as the CF craze.

Dude is obsessed with kettlebells and refuses to Rx a bench press

Me - "So where can I do my bench press?"
    Owner - "We don't do it here, you are the only that does it, but you can do it in the rack"
    Me - "KK thx bye"

But he does floor DB presses a lot, which I am curious if they ever activate the pec muscles.

He is IN LOVE with inverted rows

Which is a good accessory workout, but in no way compares to a bench press or a press in terms of push development.

What I see is a lot of skinny kids doing BW, DB and kettlebell stuff that keeps them skinny, not enough heavy heavy barbell training and a lot of attitude without the results to show up for it. I don't care if you say your clients are getting stronger, if they aren't able to demonstrate it in a bench, squat, deadlift, press, power clean or snatch movement, the point is moot.

He is letting skinny kids do workouts for skinny kids, so they will never get big.

There are also a lot of big athlete guys who were already big before they got there to get "faster and more explosive".

The owner is a good guy and he lets me be on the gym, which has a much better attitude than most, but in my opinion, by refusing to let the skinny kids do tough stuff, he is ripping them off. The reason he has gotten so successful is because his dietary knowledge is excellent and he has gotten many many people to drop hundreds of pounds. But diet alone does not make a strong person and they sure have the attitude of a 600 squatter

I saw some videos from their past "athletic competition" which is kind of a CF games: DL, Bench press, pullups and tire flipping. Max Deadlift with horrible form was something along the lines of 345.

I can't wait for their competition so I can bust their records big time

hectorse on
    edited April 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

out
    of
    your mind

numbers

http://www.brooklynbarbell.com/ i hyperbolized a bit

crossfit prices seem to start at like 125 for just 2 classes a week and the starting strength classes seem to be 900 dollars for a 3 month program which is a loooota money

but anyway

tomorrow im gonna just bench and whatever and let my leg heal and not fuck it up again like a moron

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love to watch Rippetoe on youtube, especially his training seminars. He doesn't just explain things, but he talks about the reasoning and shows good form vs bad form. And that shit is FREE (on the internet).

It's funny (and kind of sad) how the old, classic myths are staying around. Stuff like "light weights for explosive power" and "toning."

Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Pull-ups, Overhead Press. Tried and true.

tehmarken on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    funny how explosive power comes from lifting heavy weights

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.