As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Year Zero Thread - The End is Fucking Here!

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    Um, mostly just listen to the entire album start to finish in a dark room

For the first time in a long time, there is an album that works as an album and should be listened to as such

the first thing there, that was exactly my plan

the second thing there, that makes me so fucking happy to hear

don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying anything bad about it... I listened to a bit of Capital G and really liked what he was doing, and I'm seriously intrigued. I was just looking for something like Wish or Happiness in Slavery, and not finding it right away.

I'll probably pick this up this week and just do a bunch of drawing or something while it plays.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Also, all the songs start pretty slow

But some ramp up to total insanity

Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    okay, cool.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got the impression that Survivalism was the full-on industrial track on this album. Give it another listen if you haven't yet, Rank, and let us know what you think.

I've got to say that this is now in my top two NIN albums, along with Broken. Such a great album.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really liked the music, but not so much the lyrics. And I couldnt hear the story much but Im not really into ARGs so maybe thats why. Lyricly it pretty much sounded like every other NIN song Ive heard but then Im not a music nerd either so maybe thats why.

Anyway I would buy an intrusmental version just because the amiance is so fucking awsome. Also I wanted to say that I wholly support that they let people preview the album online and it would be awsome to see more of that in the future (fuck the RIAA etc.)

Bedlam on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I really liked the music, but not so much the lyrics. And I couldnt hear the story much but Im not really into ARGs so maybe thats why. Lyricly it pretty much sounded like every other NIN song Ive heard but then Im not a music nerd either so maybe thats why.

Anyway I would buy an intrusmental version just because the amiance is so fucking awsome. Also I wanted to say that I wholly support that they let people preview the album online and it would be awsome to see more of that in the future (fuck the RIAA etc.)

I almost think that if you dont know the backstory of what Year Zero is...You wont like the lyrics...So far a bunch of people I know who did not know about the ARG or the backstory of YZ didnt like the lyrics, but those that did absolutely loved the lyrics...

omega71 on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    It is also very important to listen to everything as loud as you can get away with

Definately. I got it, and listened to it once through and was quite unimpressed, it seemed to be garbled noise for the most part. But, I generally listen to my music quite quietly. So I cranked the volume, and listened to it through again. Dramatic improvement.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, Year Zero shit has become the dominant av/sig combo on the board.

And I hadn't listened to the album for a couple of days and felt like I was going through a musical withdrawl. Survivalism came on the radio and my girlfriend went to change the station, not recognizing it, and I almost slapped her hand away. First album in probably a decade to have that sort of influence on me.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was listening to The Great Destroyer in the car.

In the cataclysmic breakdown of doom...it felt like a sonic pingpong ball of pure doom was bouncing around.

Wallhitter on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love the breakdowns found in The Great Destroyer and Vessel.

So far I think Vessel might be my overall favorite song but its hard to decide really. After all the chaotic tracks I think In This Twilight and Zero Sum provide a really good closing point for the album too. It took a little longer for me to warm up to them compared to the other stuff but now I think I like the latter half of Year Zero more than the first.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited April 2007
    Rehab wrote: »

So far I think Vessel might be my overall favorite song but its hard to decide really. After all the chaotic tracks I think In This Twilight and Zero Sum provide a really good closing point for the album too. It took a little longer for me to warm up to them compared to the other stuff but now I think I like the latter half of Year Zero more than the first.

Same, though I do love The Good Soldier

other note: Why is it that I always imagine the singer/preacher in God Given to be on a balcony?

Wallhitter on
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »

Same, though I do love The Good Soldier

other note: Why is it that I always imagine the singer/preacher in God Given to be on a balcony?

Something subliminal from the ARG perhaps. The vocals do give the sense of a crowd chanting the refrain though so that could be it, like there is someone speaking from a balcony and everyone else is echoing in.

One thing I noticed the other day is that the Exterminal site had someone named Gil who was referred to as some sort of leader and I thought he might be the new "God" in Capital G. Before going there I saw a review guessing George Bush which I hadn't thought of but also seemed to be a really good guess. Just saw this from the NinWiki though:

Gil Bardsley is referred to with some high regard by both Elliot R Carraig and Tanya Roberts. Given the inclusion of the song Capital_G, this provides a new interpretation of the song. (Trent Reznor has stated the G in capital G is greed.)

Rehab on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aside from the previously shown pic of the spectrometer, two of the creepiest things so far (for me at least) have been the Angry Sniper's bombing of the baseball game, and the death squad killing all those people to contain red horse.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Aside from the previously shown pic of the spectrometer, two of the creepiest things so far (for me at least) have been the Angry Sniper's bombing of the baseball game, and the death squad killing all those people to contain red horse.

The exterminal thing at Cedocore.

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Is that the video footage of the woman trying to meet up with someone of the resistance?

Both that and the interview were sufficiently creepy I thought.

Rehab on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Is that the video footage of the woman trying to meet up with someone of the resistance?

Both that and the interview were sufficiently creepy I thought.

Yeah, where she's got the photo-shades on and she's trying to escape Cedocore and her handler
    winds up driving his van into the guards and dies while she escapes with the data

Abracadaniel on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    n April 19th, a new website, Act Patriotic, was discovered by scanning through the subnets, or other registered sites, used by the Year Zero sites.

this is silly! you should discover websites through clues, not by out of game trickery

also hey is this ARG as good as The Beast or ilovebees? should I catch up to it?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't do either of the other two, but this one is freaky. Calling those phone numbers was pretty eerie, especially the one where you pretty much just hear people getting killed in a club.

Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
    edited April 2007
    n April 19th, a new website, Act Patriotic, was discovered by scanning through the subnets, or other registered sites, used by the Year Zero sites.

this is silly! you should discover websites through clues, not by out of game trickery

also hey is this ARG as good as The Beast or ilovebees? should I catch up to it?

If you are a fan of ARGs then you would probably really like this.

I would start with I am Trying to Believe and then go from there.

Rehab on
    edited April 2007
    Strangely enough, 42 did both of the above ARGs.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    are they doing this one

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2007
    Yep.

Calamity Jane on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought this album was crap, until I looked into the ARG more, and realized this is a soundtrack to an experience/book/story, and the music tells the story as well, its pretty fucking amazing.

Its a lot like a soundtrack I feel where you have to listen to it together, and it links to specific events, and on its own doesn't mean much......

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the riff in The good soldier is pretty awesome

dooo chii doo chii doo chicka chicka

tugga on
    edited April 2007
    tugga06 wrote: »
    the riff in The good soldier is pretty awesome

dooo chii doo chii doo chicka chicka

Hells yes

I kinda like the one in The Warning

NING NING NING NING NING NING NING NIIING NING NING NIIIING

Wallhitter on
    edited April 2007
    The Great Destroyer is pretty much awesome

tugga on
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man the guitar in The Warning is the best thing ever.

I think Knob is spot on as usual, this is a fucking fantastic album for listening to straight through, it all works together so well.

Hybrid on
    edited April 2007
    i wouldnt be surprised if second half of The Great Destroyer found its way into an epic shooting scene in an action movie

tugga on
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    tugga06 wrote: »
    i wouldnt be surprised if second half of The Great Destroyer found its way into an epic shooting scene in an action movie

The Great Destroyer is so awesome. The second half sounds goddamn insane, but then I also love the first half too. I listen to the actual "song" part over an over again.

Hybrid on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought this album was crap, until I looked into the ARG more, and realized this is a soundtrack to an experience/book/story, and the music tells the story as well, its pretty fucking amazing.

Its a lot like a soundtrack I feel where you have to listen to it together, and it links to specific events, and on its own doesn't mean much......

I think you're pretty much stupid because I haven't read a darn thing about the ARG and I think the album is fantastic

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Honestly, I think my favorite part about the ARG are the murals.

Example:
    L.A. Mural
    la_mural.jpg
    London
    418142576_c9480f4b28.jpg
    Crazy Trent Reznor
    rs1025001.jpg

Re: nholder on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Those two, plus the one woman's account of the people trying to leave L.A. were the creepiest for me.
    "My little sister, Tina, was down in LA with friends. I was stuck at home because I had a
    competition next weekend.

Mom said, You’re used to things revolving around your schedule, Bianca. Maybe it’s
    time you weren’t the center of attention.

I hated her so much.

Mom and Dad were watching the Academy Awards when the bomb went off. I was
    doing homework. I had to train at the rink every afternoon so I only went to regular
    school until lunchtime and did the rest of my classes by correspondence.

Mom called Tina on the cell phone they got her just for the trip and she said she was
    okay, she was in a car with her friend Laila and Laila’s parents and as soon as the traffic
    cleared they were going to drive up to San Francisco and get a plane home from there.

Tina called later, when everyone was choking and she was having trouble, too, and Mom
    kept saying, baby, I’m here, baby, it’s going to be all right.

The guy in the hazmat suit that they interviewed on TV said that all the time they were
    checking cars, they kept hearing cell phones ringing. Lines of cars pulled every which
    way on the freeway with spray paint on the windshields saying that they were checked
    and how many dead were in them. Phones ringing and ringing, saying, pick up, please
    pick up, please. I called her, even after Mom and Dad stopped I snuck into my room and
    called and called."

I don't know why, but just the image of all these cars filled with dead people on the road with people trying to contact them hits me really hard. It just makes me so...sad.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bought the album today, and driving in the fog with this playing is pretty neat.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Started work this morning at 8am. By half 9 I was deeply engrossed in the ninwiki because of this thread. By lunchtime I'd visisted every site, read every word on every page and downloaded every mp3 / video to listen to / watch when I get home.

I've had the album streaming from the NIN site for half an hour now and although it's not exactly my usual workplace listening (BBC radio 2) I've got the volume on low so no-one has complained yet..

I've now bought the album off of Amazon for expedited shipping.

All because of this thread and the ARG.

I hate getting wrapped up in things :(

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SA wrote: »
    omega71 wrote: »
    I am still convinced that The Good Soilder is the best song on the album...

I think everyone is saying that.

I am

uc4life on
  • ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am not enamored with this album, I do not wish to sex with it.
    But yeah it's alright. It feels wierd saying that cause usually I'm all wooo NIN woooo.
    I will keep trying Trent, its me not you, perhaps we should see other bands for a little.
    The more I listen to it though the more awesome it gets.

I think I am in love with 'Me, I'm Not'

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still haven't dug into the ARG much, and putting this into the shuffle mix on my ipod was a bad idea. When listening to the album front-to-finish I melt. Fuck, the damn thing makes so much sense. I try to compare it to other concept albums like Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but it's leagues above it. The Great Destroyer is probably my fave, but In This Twilight gets so hypnotic that it makes me stop what I'm doing just to hear it.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like Vessel, as well as Survivalism.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First thing I did this morning was throw the cd into my stereo and cranked up the volume while I got ready for work.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Super-PopeSuper-Pope Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    I took a full listen-through for me to appreciate it, but I really like the album. Its almost catchy at some points. I like the lyrics and most all of it is enjoyable. I havent really disliked a NIN album yet, but this one is exceptionally good.

Super-Pope on