As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rock Band in the atrium?

DrBallsDrBalls Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
So, I was cheering for everyone last year (Swedish Chef FTW) but I couldn't get a band together (or at least not enough people who wanted to stand in line). How has it worked in the past? Is all the DLC there? I'm going to get some practice but I want to figure out what songs I wanted to go with.

DrBalls on

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd go over the rules for East and figure they'll apply to Prime as well.

All DLC should be available, but I can't guarantee that. Oh, and probably no RBN stuff allowed, since that wouldn't be all that fair.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DrBallsDrBalls Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm...correct me if I'm wrong but it looked more like an open mic thing at Prime last year. Less "tournament" more "stand in line, go on stage"

DrBalls on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The atrium was where they were doing the qualifier. The rest of the competition took place on the 3rd floor. Otherwise, the atrium setup was open mic.

whypick1 on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The atrium was where they were doing the qualifier. The rest of the competition took place on the 3rd floor. Otherwise, the atrium setup was open mic.

This is incorrect. The atrium setup was used for both freeplay and qualifiers on Friday, freeplay all Saturday, and freeplay and the Rock Band Tournament Semifinals & Finals on Sunday. I should know, I was there most of the time. [in Boston as well]

I do believe the plan is to do the freeplay stage again, but I can personally make no guarantees of this. With regards to DLC, though we would like to have all of the DLC available, we can make no guarantees: it costs a small fortune to stock a console with DLC, especially considering that RBN is now active. Seeing as Harmonix does not provide the 360 used on the atrium stage, that means someone has to shell out all that cash to provide the DLC for your entertainment.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited April 2010
    Eh, my group got eliminated in the 2nd round, so I kind of stopped caring where things were happening after that.

whypick1 on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »
    though we would like to have all of the DLC available, we can make no guarantees: it costs a small fortune to stock a console with DLC, especially considering that RBN is now active. Seeing as Harmonix does not provide the 360 used on the atrium stage, that means someone has to shell out all that cash to provide the DLC for your entertainment.
    Speaking of which, if you enjoyed the massive amount of DLC available at the stage, feel free to thank MSpencer, the Enforcer who provided the 360 with almost every single DLC song.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I like playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero and Band Hero and Karaoke Revolution. If I make it to PAX, I can take over vocals for a band, so hit me up. The only problem is that I don't own a console so I don't know what songs are and aren't on the Rock Band track list at any given time. Is there somewhere that I can find the list so I can start listening and practicing?

feitocomfruta on
    edited April 2010
    whypick1 on
  • MerciMerci Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can work a plastic guitar pretty good and I do have a friend whom might "sing." We just needs us another guitarist and a drummer. Just sayin...

Merci on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks dya for the compliment -- but I was missing about $150 worth of DLC. I budgeted PAX East too close for comfort, and found if I spent the $150 and brought my DLC up to date, I wouldn't be able to afford PAX. X__X

I'll try to have all of the DLC next PAX. We'll see.

Fun fact: the avatars that you guys were using (Lana, Jeremy, and Katrina) belong to friends of mine.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the song list. I'll look through the 15 pages of songs and narrow them down to "very familiar and would sing well on". That should only take, what, like 3 days?

Also, how does the band thing work? Do we choose what song we want to do for the tourney, or are they assigned? I would guess free play is "just try not to play the same songs back to back".

feitocomfruta on
    edited April 2010
    Crap, my band just bailed on PAX to go to a wedding. :(

DrBalls on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DrBalls wrote: »
    Crap, my band just bailed on PAX to go to a wedding. :(
    Just give them the line, "Sometimes I doubt your dedication to Sparkle Motion"

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010
    @dyaballikl

I am totally going to do that right now :)

DrBalls on
This discussion has been closed.