As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best version of Tetris on the market

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    I'm annoyed it isn't in the states.

It doesn't help that The Tetris Company claims its hardcore level of difficulty deviates too much from their required standards.

Which I don't get at all. Isn't Tetris supposed to get harder and harder as you go along?

Well- Owning tetris grand master ace, I can assure you those idiots don't really appreciate difficult tetris. There were other refinements like the ease of sliding blocks in and the flow that holds that other tetris variants don't have.

I really do hate the licensing in the stats and I hope THQ and the tetris company die in a fire for barring TGM in the stats.

Viscountalpha on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The best version of Tetris is one that goes on a mobile phone because you can then play it anywhere.

I mean, sure, a DS is portable, but you can't just whip out a DS in any situation because its obvious what you're doing. Whereas on my phone I could be sending a very important business text message.

Dhalphir on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    I'm annoyed it isn't in the states.

It doesn't help that The Tetris Company claims its hardcore level of difficulty deviates too much from their required standards.

Which I don't get at all. Isn't Tetris supposed to get harder and harder as you go along?

Well- Owning tetris grand master ace, I can assure you those idiots don't really appreciate difficult tetris. There were other refinements like the ease of sliding blocks in and the flow that holds that other tetris variants don't have.

I really do hate the licensing in the stats and I hope THQ and the tetris company die in a fire for barring TGM in the stats.

The funny part is that TGM Ace is the black sheep of the series and was generally considered a disappointment...yet it's still head and shoulders above most "guideline" (i.e. TTC-sanctioned) games.

Billmaan on
  • ghostfacekillahghostfacekillah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The best version of Tetris is one that goes on a mobile phone because you can then play it anywhere.

I mean, sure, a DS is portable, but you can't just whip out a DS in any situation because its obvious what you're doing. Whereas on my phone I could be sending a very important business text message.

Haha totally been in that situation. Sitting in a meeting I can pretend I am checking emails on my iPhone, but really I am squeezing in a few turns at Tetris.

What kind of phone do you play it on?

ghostfacekillah on
  • HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sooooo this thread having got me remembering the days, is there a freeware version of Tetris that I could download that wouldn't subject my computer to сумасшедший post-Cold War Eastern Bloc computer viruses?

Herkimer on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Haha totally been in that situation. Sitting in a meeting I can pretend I am checking emails on my iPhone, but really I am squeezing in a few turns at Tetris.

What kind of phone do you play it on?

Nothing special.

Ericsson T715A
    sony-ericsson_t715a.jpg

I also have Worms on it, as well as some wicked game thats kinda like Arkanoid with a platform along the bottom and you bounce a ball around to kill bricks.

people really do drone in meetings though.

Dhalphir on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tetris on the NES was the first game that I stumbled onto a cheat. I think it was during unlimited play, you press the select button the instant your block touches the bottom (best timed by spamming select) and you gain 10,000 points.

My young mind was BLOWN!

Tetris DS is the reason I bought a DS in the first place. It isn't in there at the moment, but it's never far away <3

Tetris doesn't work very well on the iPod, btw. Something like Breakout is much more suitable.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »
    Sooooo this thread having got me remembering the days, is there a freeware version of Tetris that I could download that wouldn't subject my computer to сумасшедший post-Cold War Eastern Bloc computer viruses?

You can always try out the Facebook version: The Human Tetris Project

It's kinda cool, you put your own face on to a Tetrimino.

If you don't like that link, then try First Person Tetris

ghostfacekillah on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you going to put this into a Tetris rap battle later on?

Get this, my shit wipes out lines like Tetris
    Messes yo head like it got fed asbestos
    Blesses me with less debt than Nintendo's investors
    Tearing up threads 'bout which Tetris the best is
    Relentless, my threats give impressions impressive
    Dish pressure like Tetris red segments descendin'
    Majestic as towers of tetrad assemblage
    Erected for four-block tall pieces expected

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Truly, you are this decade's 2pac.

Flow on the rhythm of the streets, angular brother.

edit: this is the most terrible totp

Monger on
    edited April 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Truly, you are this decade's 2pac.

Flow on the rhythm of the streets, angular brother.

edit: this is the most terrible totp

All day every day, Tetriminos on my mind
    Makin' mad rows like a freak of some kind
    Staring at the screen with those shapes dropping from the sky
    Damn these memories bring me back to junior high
    Put your face in the Human Tetris Project and you'll be remembered forever
    You're to young kid, this is quite the endeavor
    Squiggly, t-shape or even a square
    I'm ghostfacekillah so you better beware!

...and Boom goes the dynamite....

ghostfacekillah on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tetris Attack is a Tetris game, right? It has it right in the title!

Tetris Attack

UnbreakableVow on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Put those sick rhymes to the Tetris A or B theme, stat.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    august wrote: »

WOW August! Thanks for just absolutely making my day with that video. Holy crap I miss the 80s. Haven't been this nostalgic in a looong time! Got any other Tetris videos to share?

ghostfacekillah on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Infinite spinning allows me to do teally well in Tetris DS

As such, I really like Tetris DS.

Keidrych on
    edited April 2010
    First Person Tetris

What does that mean? Play!

El Fantastico on

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love Tetris Battle Gaiden on the Super Famicom though it's Japan-only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpboQS0Pc4

Djiem on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7unUQQ1o&feature=related

If that just isn't the most hype game of Tetris I've ever seen advertised, I don't know what is. Those kids sound f**king NUTS!

On-topic: I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of Tetris Party on WiiWare. Sure, it may not have Tetris DS's Mission mode, but in terms of value per dollar, I don't know of anything else that comes close. It'll be interesting to see what the upcoming version, Tetris Party Deluxe, is like when it comes out in June (Wii and DS).

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited April 2010
    Insanity wrote: »

Oh man really! That easily is the most frustrating Tetris game I have seen on the web. Wow.

@Elfantastico--Someone get me a beat and I will keep it going ALL DAY!

@BTP: You think thats old? Try out this one! The ORIGINAL TETRIS commercial

ghostfacekillah on
    edited April 2010
    Insanity wrote: »

Oh man really! That easily is the most frustrating Tetris game I have seen on the web. Wow.

@Elfantastico--Someone get me a beat and I will keep it going ALL DAY!

@BTP: You think thats old? Try out this one! *snip*

Shit, the end of that commercial reminded me of when they brought out the SNES.

"Now you're playing with power, SUPER POWER"

El Fantastico on

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been told Tetris DS is one of the best...but personally from experience it goes:

Tetris for the Gameboy, then Tetris Party for WiiWare are my two favorite versions.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • b to the jayb to the jay Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Tetris DS or Tetris Party from WiiWare are the best IMO. I got addicted to playing both of those online for a while, but Tetris DS is possibly the best portable thing ever.

Dr. Mario is also an awesome awesome game. The music from the original still rocks, sadly the new tracks on Dr. Mario WiiWare was quite forgettable. I'm not sure which multiplayer game is more fun, probably Tetris but both are great ways to have quick fun online.

b to the jay on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Big fan of Tetris DS.

L Ron Howard on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tetris DS of course, but if we're talking about other puzzle games related to it, then Planet Puzzle League is hands down the best.

It's Tetris Attack for the DS. Tetris Attack with a Stylus? Oh God yes.

Satsumomo on
    edited April 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I've been told Tetris DS is one of the best...but personally from experience it goes:

Tetris for the Gameboy, then Tetris Party for WiiWare are my two favorite versions.

Love love love Tetris for Gameboy, but I haven't played it on the Wii. What is the difference?

@El Fantastico this is turning into a great day! I'll bet your room is decorated in Tetris and video game attire! Am I right?

I just entered to win one of these sick Tetris contests from EA Mobile: TETRIS T-Shirts

You all can't tell me I wouldn't look BAD ASS in one of those! Maybe not the square one though haha!

ghostfacekillah on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This just popped up on my reader a few minutes ago:

Hatetris

Its Tetris, with one glaring change - every new piece is the statistically worst piece possible. It's freaking infuriating, but addicting too.

High score is like 10 lines cleared or something. The game creator has managed 5. I've managed 2. Then I broke things.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dude, that game is an affront to all that is good and right.

Nothing but squigglies....

chamberlain on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I managed three lines on it.

Is it possible to get any lines on that XKCD tetris hell game?

The Last Gent on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    uean wrote: »

Hatetris

Its Tetris, with one glaring change - every new piece is the statistically worst piece possible. It's freaking infuriating, but addicting too.

High score is like 10 lines cleared or something. The game creator has managed 5. I've managed 2. Then I broke things.

Goddamnit, I was just coming here to post this.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010

Love love love Tetris for Gameboy, but I haven't played it on the Wii. What is the difference?

@El Fantastico this is turning into a great day! I'll bet your room is decorated in Tetris and video game attire! Am I right?

I just entered to win one of these sick Tetris contests from EA Mobile: TETRIS T-Shirts

You all can't tell me I wouldn't look BAD ASS in one of those! Maybe not the square one though haha!

I used to have some old Nintendo Power posters and shit. Those were the days.

Now my room is pretty barren save for a signed Neon Genesis Evangelion artpiece (framed). My office in the house has a bunch of posters I picked up from Cons and the like - Warhammer MMO, Champions Online, FFXIII, etc.

El Fantastico on

edited April 2010

I used to have some old Nintendo Power posters and shit. Those were the days.

Now my room is pretty barren save for a signed Neon Genesis Evangelion artpiece (framed). My office in the house has a bunch of posters I picked up from Cons and the like - Warhammer MMO, Champions Online, FFXIII, etc.

Thats pretty sweet. I LOVED getting Nintendo Power. I used to have a subscription to that and Electronic Gaming Monthly (Rest in Peace).

I've got this awesome pillow set for my bed that is different tetrimino shapes. So sweet. Had to put the rest of my video game past in the garage to appease the girlfriend haha...still got the Virtual Boy (ugh) in my closet though haha.

@uean: You just ruined my day with that link. Thank you very much! Easily one of the top 3 most frustrating Tetris games of all time!

ghostfacekillah on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OP's friend is right in that Dr. Mario is better than Tetris, even if it's not really a version of it.

Hockey Johnston on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    uean wrote: »

Hatetris

Goddamnit, I was just coming here to post this.

6 on my first try, doesn't seem so bad =D
    replay of last game: 8C15 55AA AAAA AAA9 D56A AAAA A9D5 6AAA AAA7 56AA AA96 D5AA AA75 6AAA D56A AD6A AAAA AAAD 6AAA AAAA D6AA AAAA D6AA AAAD 6AAA AD6A AAD6 AA34 0000 AAAA AAAA 80CA AAAA AA80 32AA AAAA 030A AAAA A80C 2AAA A030 AA80 CAAA C2AA AAAA A83A AAAA AAAA 83AA AAAA 83AA AAA0 EAAA A0EA 99AA AAAA A036 A96A AAA8 3AAA 5AAA 80AA A65A A0BA AAA5 B55A AAAA B569 74AA A830 0AAA 0EAA AAA8 3DAA A80A AAAC AAAB 55AA B542 AAAC AA9E AA50 03AA AD6A 80EA 9F57 6A8

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I must be the only person on the planet that still plays and enjoys 3D Tetris for the Virtual Boy.

Original and Tetris DS are the best though.

Greenish on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The New Tetris for the music alone

Deusfaux on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Clearly Dr.Mario is a version of Tetris 2.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited April 2010
    Physics Tetris - 99 Blocks

Using exactly 99 tetris shapes, build as high of a tower as possible. The game has a physics component which means you can't let the weight distribution go too far to either side or the tower will topple and you'll lose height.

El Fantastico on

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tetris Party, while not portable, is super awesome.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490