As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Mourning After L4D

AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
DO NOT POST OPENLY ABOUT THE FINALE, PUT IT IN SPOILERS OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES AND REPERCUSSIONS

CHECK THIS MOTHERFUCKER OUT, FIRST OF SEVERAL, DESIGNED BY OUR VERY OWN BEAVOTRON FOR VALVE

Screenshot2010-04-29at103513PM.png

214902-1.jpg

The Passing was released today! It's up on Steam and maybe Xbox Live, but you gotta pay for it there.

In addition to the new 3-part campaign 'The Passing,' Valve has introduced Mutations. What are Mutations? Basically, Valve is testing out new and unusual game modes. The first one is Realism Versus. It's exactly what it sounds like. Next week is Chainsaw Massacre, where the Survivors all have access to chainsaws with unlimited fuel. I guess after a few have made the rounds, Valve is going to open up voting so player-favorites get thrown back into the mix.

There's also a new Uncommon Infected, the Fallen Survivor!
l4d2-the-fallen.jpg

As it was put to me, he's like a zombie pinata: Has a number of useful items that drop off him when killed, but he's fast and runs away from the Survivors.

I got a chance to play a hectic run of the new campaign and it's a bunch of fun. There's even a number of interesting easter eggs!

Easter Egg 1
During the second level, after jumping down into the mudpit with the bulldozer, on the far side by the fence you can see the Midnight Riders' Tour Bus go screaming by

Easter Egg 2
Again, in the second level, shortly after Easter Egg 1, you can enter a previously barricaded room with graffiti, including a message from Dead Rising's Frank West and Plants Vs. Zombies' Crazy Dave

Abracadaniel on

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This was good.

But man it got hard.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like some of the new mechanics, like the
    unlimited item bins.

Abracadaniel on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait to play the new stuff.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited April 2010
    Also I am terribly bummed that

Finale Spoiler
    Bill bites the dust. I thought he was great in the first game.

Does anyone know what the eta is on the new DLC for L4D1?

Abracadaniel on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dont really play l4d enough cause my ping screws me over but I want to buy this

M.D. on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    unlimited item bins.
    The three L4D1 survivors picking shit off for you in the finale was pretty neat. Also a goddamn lifesaver.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    edited April 2010
    also The Mourning After would make a pretty good campaign name

Geek, hire me.

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2010
    unlimited item bins.
    The three L4D1 survivors picking shit off for you in the finale was pretty neat. Also a goddamn lifesaver.
    Definitely, though there's plenty of debris and obstacles for the Tanks to navigate so you can avoid'em. It's the other Specials you gotta worry about when people split up to grab the cans.

Abracadaniel on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the idea of mutations but them being only temporarily available not so much

TheySlashThem on
    edited April 2010
    I'd venture a guess that if there's one or two that are super mega popular they'd be rolled in as new official game modes in the next big update/DLC

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2010
    unlimited item bins.
    Definitely, though there's plenty of debris and obstacles for the Tanks to navigate so you can avoid'em. It's the other Specials you gotta worry about when people split up to grab the cans.
    We tried playing it on advanced a few times. Neither of the times I played through it did we beat it on advance. We had to jump down to normal.

The second because I class in six fucking hours and I can't sleep.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Easter Egg 2 also involves
    a shaun of the dead, and possibly a dawn of the dead reference. on the same wall

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah my favorite parts where
    That bathroom in level 2 with all the other zombie game/movie quotes (I think the dog one is a reference to Silent Hill) and the bathroom next to it.

Bucketman on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also:
    Coach: Yeah look at all this...um...oh who am I kidding this tour sucks.
    Nick: Told ya
    Ellis: Now Nick we all know the tour is a little lack, but thats not reason to take it out on Coach

Bucketman on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did anyone else hear Ellis tell a complete Keith story? We were waiting for an AFK in the safe room on the third map, and got to hear all about the time Keith tried making Sushi.

Klorgnum on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On my first play through, I didn't even see or hear anything related to the death. He was just missing, and I was kinda surprised there wasn't a fourth level. Was expecting him to appear and be a hero ]:

Gumpy on
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If this hasn't already been pointed out, I found Bill in the finale I think. He's in the generator room slumped up against the generator

T. J. Nutty Nub on
    edited April 2010
    Oh, also, in the second level (I think)
    The Witch Bride is amazing.

Abracadaniel on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bill was the best character. :(

Flay on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm going to play this with you freaks tonight

be ready

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Is that the one surrounded by lights and with the crazy music?

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The finale fight:
    Fending off two tanks with bots is damn hard.

Flay on
    edited April 2010
    As7 wrote: »

Is that the one surrounded by lights and with the crazy music?

Yeah
    After a while I realized it was playing 'Here Comes The Bride' and apparently she's in a wedding dress. I was too busy shooting her to notice. Also the Charger ramming his way through the plastic chairs is awesome.

Abracadaniel on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    I played this when I was super tired and didn't enjoy it much, I should play it again. I kept on getting lost. The only thing I know I legitimately didn't like (as opposed to just not enjoying because I was almost comatose) is the finale, because the bots don't help with the fuel and it is looooooong

Tube on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I played this when I was super tired and didn't enjoy it much, I should play it again. I kept on getting lost. The only thing I know I legitimately didn't like (as opposed to just not enjoying because I was almost comatose) is the finale, because the bots don't help with the fuel and it is looooooong

Maybe you should get some friends.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited April 2010
    The Geek wrote: »

Maybe you should get some friends.

hey :(

Tube on
    edited April 2010
    maybe you should get some being nice lessons

Tube on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, they definitely continued the whole "here's a whole bunch of branching paths you can take to get there" thing from Crash Course. I'm gonna go back on Easy to spend some time exploring.

Abracadaniel on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the fallen survivor can get pubs murdered

i was playing with a bunch of pubs (i know, i can hear some of you saying "well there's your first mistake" but whatever) and more than once some jack-off ran away from the group a significant distance to chase a fallen survivor because he needed a medpack or something.

the fact that the fallen survivors run away from you is kind of a cool touch.

Pony on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, it seems like the still really wanted to use that concept from L4D1 of the screamer (minus the Horde-summoning part)

Abracadaniel on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tube: try playing with the armadeaddon folks

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teefs posted a screenshot earlier, but the "THE END IS EXTREMELY ____ NIGH" graffiti in the room with the frank west stuff was a 28 days later reference I think

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited April 2010
    Anyone wanna give Realism Vs. a shot tonight?

Abracadaniel on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That damned sewer section has the chance to be a world class bitch on Realism.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That damned sewer section has the chance to be a world class bitch on Realism.

one charger would basically ruin their shit hard

Pony on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hell, the sludge slowdown + wide open space with limited visibility almost wiped us on advanced.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Teefs posted a screenshot earlier, but the "THE END IS EXTREMELY ____ NIGH" graffiti in the room with the frank west stuff was a 28 days later reference I think
    That whole room is basically refrences to different zombie movies.
    Theres something about Nicole and the dog from the Dawn of the Dead remake

Bedlam on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    maaaaaaaaan I wish I had an xbox live connection right about now

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2010
    Hell, the sludge slowdown + wide open space with limited visibility almost wiped us on advanced.

The second section wiped me and scarlet once on advanced. Didn't get me, Teefs, Sara Lynn, and and Ryan though.

The final section fucked everyone's shit.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gonna try this out after Ashes to Ashes

Bad-Beat on
This discussion has been closed.