As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breath of Death VII: Dem bones, Dem bones (UPDATE: Bugfix patch now available on XBL)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought it, love it. Quick question - is there a way to sell old equipment that I'm not seeing?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I totally bought this while I was at work without even trying the trial. I've been anticipating it for a while.
    This despite the fact that RainbowDespair deleted me off his Live friends list a while back :(. Probably because my GW2 scores made him sad.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Bought it, love it. Quick question - is there a way to sell old equipment that I'm not seeing?
    Not that I've seen, but it's really not necessary. Money isn't really hard to come by in this game, as long as you clear out the random battles.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JHunz wrote: »
    I totally bought this while I was at work without even trying the trial. I've been anticipating it for a while.
    This despite the fact that RainbowDespair deleted me off his Live friends list a while back :(. Probably because my GW2 scores made him sad.

Oh, sorry about that. I really wish the 360 had a better way to sort your friends list. A while back, I realized that I put up a bunch of people on my list and had forgotten why I had put them up there, so I just said forget it and did a big purging. If I could put notes next to each friend like "GW2 score competition" or "good sport in Civ Rev" that would be a big help.

These days, I pretty much ignore friends requests unless I specifically know them, just because I get so many from total strangers (I'm guessing because of my Pac-Man: CE score).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You know, so far I am finding the random fights to be a lot harder than the bosses.

Especially right after getting the fourth character.
    Current strategy is Dem and Sara using Fire & Ice, Lita using Lightning or attacking with the Shotgun, and Erik doing something useless because he sucks because I just got him. The executioners can take a massive beating this way, though, and will pretty much wipe out a character if they decide to focus on them and/or use their special attack.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You know, so far I am finding the random fights to be a lot harder than the bosses.

Current strategy is Dem and Sara using Fire & Ice, Lita using Lightning or attacking with the Shotgun, and Erik doing something useless because he sucks because I just got him. The executioners can take a massive beating this way, though, and will pretty much wipe out a character if they decide to focus on them and/or use their special attack.

On fights with big high damage enemies, I...
    Focus fire Dem and Lita on one target with Multi-strike/Lightning, have Sara stun another one with her 100% stun (I hope you took this). That removes two DPS from the fight, first round. Next round, repeat if necessary, or have Sara heal. It's not as flash as trying to AE them down, but it removes DPS from the fight quicker.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

On fights with big high damage enemies, I...
    Focus fire Dem and Lita on one target with Multi-strike/Lightning, have Sara stun another one with her 100% stun (I hope you took this). That removes two DPS from the fight, first round. Next round, repeat if necessary, or have Sara heal. It's not as flash as trying to AE them down, but it removes DPS from the fight quicker.
    I'll give that a try, I guess. The strategy I mentioned has been taking down everything in one turn up to that point, though, so I guess it was just surprising to fight five or six enemies (big group of escapees, two executioners) all of which can survive that.

And yeah, I've taken all of the single target, high % ailments over the hit all crappy % versions.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just booted it up for the first time. It made me grin.

I'm having an exceptionally shitty day, so thank you both for that. The grinning, that is. Not the shitty day.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally got owned for the first time truely

I refuse to play through any kind of RPG on a not hard difficulty when its an option. Id rather earn my way through a game than be gifted it and just challenge myself for fun later. When I have the motivation of moving on it makes it much more entertaining.

Im impressed at how the game was (what I assume is purposely) streamlined. You made it deep yet simple. Thats a pretty good job. Many of the simple things (like no inventory and full healing after battles) don't bother me because there are other unique aspects to make things interesting. Its different to say the least, that for the most part you look at each fight as an individual challenge rather than the longevity of a dungeon being the challenge.

In case you cant notice, im a balance and statistics nut here. And I am thoroughly impressed with how much care seems to have gone into that aspect of the game to make it feel like all your choices matter, and to provide a fairly considerable challenge from a slightly simple turn based rpg.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, so I understand three of the area names, but can someone explain "Palad-Lennus" for me? This is going to nag at me until I figure it out.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, and I want to throw it out there that the timer for the demo is perfect.

Right before I bought the game, I noticed the demo said it was on a timer. I was intrigued.

You see, MAED ZOMBI3S (or whatever the goose that's called.) has a demo that lasts a lot longer than my interest in a generic dual-stick shooter. (Smash TV aside.)

So, even though I knew I was already going to buy BoD, I went with the download first. I wanted to know if RD+S made the demo too long.

The demo timer kicked off exactly when I stepped out of the first town to head towards the first dungeon. Perfect timing. Even though I was already going to buy it, I suddenly had to buy it RIGHT NOW so I could get right back to my dungeon huntin'.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, all XBLIGs are on an 8-minute timer so we specifically designed the first part of the game so that people would probably have just started exploring the world map after the first town, feeling that would be a good taste of the game that would get people wanting more.

Palad-Lennus joke explanation:
    Paladin's Quest is an obscure SNES RPG that Enix released that hardly anyone except me liked. The game is called Lennus in Japan and has a sequel (appropriately entitled Lennus 2) that was never released outside of Japan.

And we're currently the 2nd highest rate XBox Live Indie Game of all time in the US!
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?d=7&r=-1&g=-1&mt=32&ot=0&sb=3&rl=0&p=1

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, all XBLIGs are on an 8-minute timer so we specifically designed the first part of the game so that people would probably have just started exploring the world map after the first town, feeling that would be a good taste of the game that would get people wanting more.

Palad-Lennus joke explanation:
    Paladin's Quest is an obscure SNES RPG that Enix released that hardly anyone except me liked. The game is called Lennus in Japan and has a sequel (appropriately entitled Lennus 2) that was never released outside of Japan.
    I liked it too. :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Best line award so far goes to Dem, regarding his quiet nature:

"A hero's silence is his sword and shield. Also, I have no tongue."

Delzhand on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goddammit... i read BREATH OF FIRE 7 and shat myself.

Imagine my disappointment XD

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

Breath of Fire VII: The game so good they skipped number six.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got to ask: How do you pronounce DEM?

The lighting is very dim, or I deem this game worthy?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been assuming it's like "them" but with a "d" instead of "th"

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Them with a d.

Lyrics to Dem Bones:

Ezekiel cried, “Dem dry bones!”
    “Oh hear de word of de Lawd!”

De foot bone connected to de anklebone
    De ankle bone connected to de leg bone
    De leg bone connected to de knee bone
    De knee bone connected to de thigh bone
    Oh hear de word of de Lawd!

De thigh bone connected to de hip bone
    De hip bone connected to de back bone
    De back bone connected to de neck bone
    De neck bone connected to de head bone

Dem bones dem bones gonna walk around
    Dem bones dem bones gonna walk around
    Dem bones dem bones gonna walk around.
    Oh hear de word o’ de Lawd!

De head bone connected to de neck bone
    De neck bone connected to de back bone
    De back bone connected to de hip bone
    De hip bone connected to de thigh bone

De thigh bone connected to de knee bone
    De knee bone connected to de leg bone
    De leg bone connected to de anklebone
    De ankle bone connected to de foot bone.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok ... I feel really stupid. I didn't get the title of this thread until just now. D:

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I told my brother to purchase this. If I had an XBox, or if MS somehow let me buy XBox Live Arcade games on the PC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Er. lack-of-heartbeat?

Tamin on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dang the Water tunnel is kicking my rear end.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My 360 has been unplugged ever since I came back from PAX, but I will absolutely be plugging it back in specifically to download and play this game.

How annoying would you guys find it, slash000 and RainbowDespair, if I asked a bunch of questions of the form of "what is it like having a super successful indie game, and who all has been contacting you?" and "what was it like making that game? How much painful grind, how much playtesting, how much throwing things away and rebuilding, and how much of your experience do you think was RPG-specific?"

I find this whole thing super inspiring and want to hear everything I can about it. Seriously.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is nothing quite as fear inducing as running around with almost no MP and praying for a save point before you run out and the monsters get you.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought it. It is a week before finals so I won't be PLAYING it, but I did use some points left over from Borlerlands DLC to acquire it.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I pretty much got this game knowing that I'd definitely find something to like about it, it's retro and in the DQ style, how could I not?

But what surprised me the most is just how finetuned the battle system and difficulty/difficulty curve is for an indie game.

The boss battles and even some of the random encounters can actually get pretty intense but has stayed surprisingly balanced throughout so far.

I can also appreciate the consolidation of the healing item, antidote and Phoenix Down into one convenient item.

My only complaints are relatively minor and probably not worth listening to anyway. I kind of found myself wishing there were a few more sound effects for menus and battle animations, like basic slash, spell and such. The portraits also seem kind of out of place whenever they pop out among the sprites. Seems like a style that calls more for a simple window on top of the message window displaying the name type situation but I can appreciate wanting to get the most out of your art assets nonetheless.

This is certainly one hell of a dollar.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    This is certainly one hell of a dollar.

When I grabbed lunch today, I grabbed a 20 oz. Pepsi, which was $1.49

After playing this I couldn't stop thinking about how much of a ripoff soda is

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Dang the Water tunnel is kicking my rear end.
    I can't speak for if you're playing on hard, but at least on Normal, the general strategy there should be Fire & Ice from Dem and Sara, and either a hit-all spell from Lita, or an attack with her Shotgun.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Bleh! Someone just emailed us with our first major bug. In the first cave of Undeath Mountain and in a second tiny dead-in cave, there's a small chance that the game will crash when a battle begins. What happens is that in a certain battle type, there's a chance that the game will try to create a 6th monster and the game doesn't like that. It's an easy fix (I did this morning in a minute), but we can't submit a new version of the game until 7 days after the last version came out (it's an XBLIG rule).

The reason why no one noticed the bug until now is because the places where it occurs are very short and you generally only fight 2-4 battles in there.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm busy, so unable to actually find time to play this game, but I picked it up to support you guys. From all the praise i've been hearing, you guys have done a great job. Keep up the good work. <3

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

Breath of Fire VII: The game so good they skipped number six.

Indeed, i would shit myself for any new breath of fire game.

also, any chance of this coming to psn ever?

hadoken on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doubtful, since it's harder to get published on the PSN, and the PS3 has a really strange and unique architecture, against just using C on the XNA studio and being published 30 seconds later

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Totally just bought.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    just grabbed this and played till the 2nd town. excellent work RD and slash!

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you guys ever port this over to the PC, I'd pay like five bucks for it.

I know you'll do it eventually, because you guys are awesome.

And you know. Five bucks.

Seriously though, even though I'll probably never get to play this since I'm sitting this gen of consoles out ('cept for the DS), congratulations guys. I hope one day I'll be able to say "I knew 'em afore the fame an' fortune destroyed their lives in an avalanche of cocaine and hookers."

Also, Slash, you should include a picture of your DNF preorder receipt as an easter egg in every game you make or work on.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, I really didn't want to like Erik for some reason but the dead bastard has won me over.

"LE BRAINS!"

:lol:

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    If you guys ever port this over to the PC, I'd pay like five bucks for it.

I know you'll do it eventually, because you guys are awesome.

And you know. Five bucks.

Seriously though, even though I'll probably never get to play this since I'm sitting this gen of consoles out ('cept for the DS), congratulations guys. I hope one day I'll be able to say "I knew 'em afore the fame an' fortune destroyed their lives in an avalanche of cocaine and hookers."

Also, Slash, you should include a picture of your DNF preorder receipt as an easter egg in every game you make or work on.

That's a pretty good idea.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought! But I can't play until later. :(

Congrats guys!!!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would buy this game on Steam for $5.

Jus' sayin.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just bought it, and now I am about to play it.

Well done guys.

LewieP on