As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Covers: Always Judge a Comic By One [56K no way]

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    It's not a case of "comics are stupid" its a case of "...... so your walls are covered in exploitative cheese-cake of imaginary women"

It was a joke numb nuts.

I'm not going to discuss it again with a whole new group of people that don't even read the thread, so I'll simply say to anyone who is being a puss about a wall devoted to marvel girls.

Eat my ballsac. Eat my poop doopy ballsac jenkins. I don't give a fuck.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=32&a=91

Hensler on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Tony Harris cover art for the Starman series yet. I really can't think of a single bad cover for that entire series. Here are some examples.

00.JPG25.JPG

30.JPG23.JPG

Zaylenz on
    edited April 2010
    332-20.jpg

11337_20060609202623_large.jpg

4304_20060520000713_large.jpg

Hensler on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Virral wrote: »
    blades_l.jpg

My mind went more in this direction
    blades_l.jpg

And just like that one of my favorite covers goes in storage.

Uncanny%20X-Men%20521%20Variant.jpg

I really liked all the Wolverine art appreciation covers.

ASM_590_WolverineArtAppreciationVariant.jpg

120_wolverine__old_man_logan_giant_size_1.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man485.jpg

NewAvengers51_Cover.jpg

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I totally forgot about that old man logan cover. I looked at it and went "oh hey Old Man Logan standing over some... OMG SCARY MONSTER COMING OUT OF THE MOUNTAIN!!" I never thought I'd be spooked by a comic book and yet, here we are.

Caveman Paws on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ugh that billy tan new avengers cover is awful.

look at doom.

jesus.

Angry on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I totally forgot about that old man logan cover. I looked at it and went "oh hey Old Man Logan standing over some... OMG SCARY MONSTER COMING OUT OF THE MOUNTAIN!!" I never thought I'd be spooked by a comic book and yet, here we are.

I looked at it and saw something ... very scary that would probably get me banned for mentioning.

"HULK NOT DOING 4CHAN MEME!!"

Wildcat on
    edited April 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

I looked at it and saw something ... very scary that would probably get me banned for mentioning.

"HULK NOT DOING 4CHAN MEME!!"

Damn it, now I can't unsee that.

Hensler on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like how Wolverine's foes actually have gashed throats and shit, loads of times he slashes someone and there's blood but that's it, it's sometimes needs reminding that Wolverine's claws actually carve pieces of flesh out your body and kill you. He's not a kid's super.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    Not the best drawn cover in the world, but I've recently become obsessed with and started collecting Snake Eyes merchandise (because I'm running out of Captain America stuff to buy :) ), and I really liked this week's GI Joe cover:

GI-Joe17-covB_02.jpg

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    You're ma boy Hensler
    SnakeEyes_Beck_Art.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's not a case of "comics are stupid" its a case of "...... so your walls are covered in exploitative cheese-cake of imaginary women"

I'm just going to say that I have a cheesecake art piece on my wall. Its a print of Power Girl drawn by Amanda Conner, its very pretty but her breasts are very large. Its sort of conflicting for me.

Bucketman on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're ma boy Hensler

snake eyes cover

When I first looked at that I thought "why is his mouth getting sucked into the visor"

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Snake Eyes is the bomb.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Snake Eyes is the bomb.

My new Snake Eyes figure that I spent way too much money on :) :
    review_sssnakeeyes_1.jpg

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    No such thing as too much money when it comes to Snake Eyes my friend.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    Well, he IS a ninja with guns, it's hard to beat that:

GI_Joe_cover_no_3_by_Devilpig.jpg

arashikage-showdown_l.jpg

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    That one with the bloody sword is very nice indeed.

Solar on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When did I miss this?? So much awesome I need to change pants.
    DAREDEVIL500_COVERSPREAD_FINAL1_low.jpg

cardboard delusions on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was issue 500 I think? I don't recall. But yes, Daredevil has a ton of awesome covers. I posted a bunch in the old covers thread. Maybe I need to repost a few of my favorites.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    When did I miss this?? So much awesome I need to change pants.
    DAREDEVIL500_COVERSPREAD_FINAL1_low.jpg

Thanks for my new desktop image.
    ANTMAN012_DC.JPG

Caveman Paws on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha! That Ant-Man cover is great. Was the series any good? I read the description on Amazon and was thinking about getting it.

Silver_Mage on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    500x_marvels5.jpg

Gotta love Man-Thing: I dropped the soap the shower!

Man...now I want those stickers...

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha! That Ant-Man cover is great. Was the series any good? I read the description on Amazon and was thinking about getting it.

It was an excellent series.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    35_guardians_of_the_galaxy_25_02.jpg

Love Thanos so I'm really digging this cover.

stevemarks44 on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It is a great cover but all i can think of when i see it is

"OH YEAH!"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You created, in your own words, a wall of "hot" Marvel covers, not just an assemblage of covers featuring Marvel heroines. The latter's fine, the former's just off-putting to me. It's like guys who prominently display posters of women in bikinis on their bedroom wall.

We all know why that poster's there, and it's not because you appreciate the photographer's aesthetic.

I have to side with Aaronsedge. He likes 2D boobies and he's not afraid to show it, regardless of whoever might walk in and what they might think. There's something admirable about that.

He's not a representative of comic fandom, nor are his tastes a reflection on you or anyone else. He's just a guy who likes pretty covers. Why should anyone else have a say in his choice of interior design and why should he have to hide what he loves?

I get why you might take umbrage. It's hardly respectable, far removed from silver age silliness, and the industry loves to pander to the lowest common denominator, but that's not his problem. He likes what he likes, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
    Sorry, Aaronsedge, if I misrepresented your wall and turned it into some unintended ideal.

TeaSpoon on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    You created, in your own words, a wall of "hot" Marvel covers, not just an assemblage of covers featuring Marvel heroines. The latter's fine, the former's just off-putting to me. It's like guys who prominently display posters of women in bikinis on their bedroom wall.

We all know why that poster's there, and it's not because you appreciate the photographer's aesthetic.

I have to side with Aaronsedge. He likes 2D boobies and he's not afraid to show it, regardless of whoever might walk in and what they might think. There's something admirable about that.

He's not a representative of comic fandom, nor are his tastes a reflection on you or anyone else. He's just a guy who likes pretty covers. Why should anyone else have a say in his choice of interior design and why should he have to hide what he loves?

I get why you might take umbrage. It's hardly respectable, far removed from silver age silliness, and the industry loves to pander to the lowest common denominator, but that's not his problem. He likes what he likes, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
    Sorry, Aaronsedge, if I misrepresented your wall and turned it into some unintended ideal.

Ah, not misinterpreted at all man. Like I've said, I got an x-men wall, spider-woman wall, an avengers wall, a hood wall, and a spider-man wall. I just like to put comics on my walls and they wouldn't be up there if I weren't following their stories.

Also

initiative26.jpg

31_dark_reign__the_hood_2.jpg

wolvartapprec.jpg

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    59-13.jpg

50-5.jpg

74-1.jpg

56-17.jpg

Silver Surfer was cool when he was always a major player in every cosmic event

282469-18206-121662-1-the-immortal-iron-fi_super.jpg

delphinus on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked the batman covers that Jock did a while back

016-jock.jpg

batman646.jpg

batman645.jpg

103852372_669e66cf52.jpg

Bloods End on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, Jock does excellent covers. His Green Arrow: Year One work is also stellar.

normal_ga-year_one1.jpg

Lux on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Has anyone posted 52 covers yet? Some of them were really good.

52_week49.jpg

52_week48.jpg

52_week15.jpg

52_week08.jpg

TeaSpoon on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some of them? 52 covers shouldn't count because they were all so good.

Bloods End on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I imagine people the 52 covers almost go without saying at this point.

I love the work that Jones & Alex Sinclair did. Is Jones coloring/inking his own recent covers? Because I don't like the colored pencil look they've been using on his recent stuff as much as the bright, vivid pop of the coloring on his 52 covers.

Lux on
    edited April 2010
    comic-book-reviews-for-april-28-2010-20100427082143759.jpg

I don't understand how people can still not like Frankencastle.

Hensler on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cutting off their noses to spite their collective faces.

Frankencastle is the best Punisher story told in a long time, Mr. Ennis. But seriously I think the "real, actual Vietnam Vet with real, actual violent issues" has been done as well as it ever will be in a major series. Now is time for crazy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Frankencastle is the best Punisher story told in a long time, Mr. Ennis.

This is why.

From what I've seen nobody seems taken with the actual story or plot or whatever, beyond "Punisher is like Frankenstein with metal bits lolololol look at me I'm a bigger ironic nerd kid than you". It could be all random images like that cover and you wouldn't care.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    uhh

that is completely and utterly wrong

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It doesn't go much past that, TLB.

Warcry on
    edited April 2010
    Vermis wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Frankencastle is the best Punisher story told in a long time, Mr. Ennis.

From what I've seen nobody seems taken with the actual story or plot or whatever, beyond "Punisher is like Frankenstein with metal bits lolololol look at me I'm a bigger ironic nerd kid than you". It could be all random images like that cover and you wouldn't care.

:lol:

Hensler on