As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GTA 4 NEW Game Informer preview -- choose your own adventure!

• TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know if this was posted already but someone from GameFAQs(I know, I know) posted some interesting information. Possibly full of shit but no reason not to post it. I don't care about the story so it doesn't matter to me if it is true or not.

Don't click if you don't want to know anything about the story.
    Posted by Jadex9:

This is coming to me from a very exclusive source WITHIN Rockstar, a very good contact that provided me with excellent news during the SA days, some vets might remember me, tons of new users will think im a liar, so whatever, take this however you want it, as either fact, or a grain of salt.

The main character is NOT Nikko Bellic, and there ARE aircraft in the game!

Nikko Bellic is being used as a Mcguffin device to keep the real Main Character out of the spotlight, The real main character is Roman Petronov, Nikkos cousin who invites him to live in Liberty after Nikko has a HUGE falling out with a paramilitary/Mafioso hybrid wing back in ESTONIA.

Back to 2007, Roman invites Nikko to the US with lies of his fancy living, just because he needed Nikkos help in dealing with shady characters trying to move into his little slice of heaven, which is a Taxi-Firm Roman works at on a co-operator term.

You WILL play the prologue missions as Nikko, to give you a hint of the new controllers, sadly, I dont know the schemes yet, but as soon as I do, you do.

Anyhow, about three quarters through the prologue, Nikko goes for his cousins associate " Mosha " to recover some drug money from one of the FOUR gangs in Liberty, a mainly South American gang modeled after the Columbian Cartels from GTA3, and the real life MS-13 gang, named " Carta ( Car Tuh ) Once ( Own-Said minus the D ) literally Card 11.

During this deal, Nikko gets murdered, and Roman ( Who was a great guy naturally, and never harmed a soul in his life ) becomes deeply depressed, because he feels responsible for Nikkos death, who was his only friend, and his guard dog in a brutal new world.

Armed with nothing but grief, and a deep hate for himself, Roman goes off the deep end, leaves his meager but honest job, and decides that in Liberty City, theres only one way out for a criminal AND a working man, and thats through the cemetery, so why die a shnook when you can die a rich man.

Thats it for the story.

Regarding the aicraft, there are THREE helicopters in the game, all respawn, One police cruiser, one for the Liberty Tree News paper which also became WILC, a news CHANNEL, and one thats owned by a person youl be working with for most of the game.

Bikes are OUT, but SIX motorcycle types are in.
    C-11 will be a HUGE enemy in the game.
    The Russian and Italian Mafias are at war and youl get to do missions for both.
    Maibatsu has become a major player in Liberty City, and Monstrositys are the norm in upper-middle class areas.

And finally, You WILL be mugged/Jacked/Jumped/Begged for money/held-up/car jacked AND possibly ignitiated into THREE different gangs, where you will be able to climb the ranks, through their own set of missions.

Take this how you want, I got labeled a LOON when I posted about the Jetpack in S.A. Under my then old account, Same name, different numbers, and when I posted about the Vortex.

TripKMA on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    TripKMA wrote: »
    I don't know if this was posted already but someone from GameFAQs(I know, I know) posted some interesting information. Possibly full of shit but no reason not to post it. I don't care about the story so it doesn't matter to me if it is true or not.

Don't click if you don't want to know anything about the story.
    Posted by Jadex9:

This is coming to me from a very exclusive source WITHIN Rockstar, a very good contact that provided me with excellent news during the SA days, some vets might remember me, tons of new users will think im a liar, so whatever, take this however you want it, as either fact, or a grain of salt.

The main character is NOT Nikko Bellic, and there ARE aircraft in the game!

Nikko Bellic is being used as a Mcguffin device to keep the real Main Character out of the spotlight, The real main character is Roman Petronov, Nikkos cousin who invites him to live in Liberty after Nikko has a HUGE falling out with a paramilitary/Mafioso hybrid wing back in ESTONIA.

Back to 2007, Roman invites Nikko to the US with lies of his fancy living, just because he needed Nikkos help in dealing with shady characters trying to move into his little slice of heaven, which is a Taxi-Firm Roman works at on a co-operator term.

You WILL play the prologue missions as Nikko, to give you a hint of the new controllers, sadly, I dont know the schemes yet, but as soon as I do, you do.

Anyhow, about three quarters through the prologue, Nikko goes for his cousins associate " Mosha " to recover some drug money from one of the FOUR gangs in Liberty, a mainly South American gang modeled after the Columbian Cartels from GTA3, and the real life MS-13 gang, named " Carta ( Car Tuh ) Once ( Own-Said minus the D ) literally Card 11.

During this deal, Nikko gets murdered, and Roman ( Who was a great guy naturally, and never harmed a soul in his life ) becomes deeply depressed, because he feels responsible for Nikkos death, who was his only friend, and his guard dog in a brutal new world.

Armed with nothing but grief, and a deep hate for himself, Roman goes off the deep end, leaves his meager but honest job, and decides that in Liberty City, theres only one way out for a criminal AND a working man, and thats through the cemetery, so why die a shnook when you can die a rich man.

Thats it for the story.

Regarding the aicraft, there are THREE helicopters in the game, all respawn, One police cruiser, one for the Liberty Tree News paper which also became WILC, a news CHANNEL, and one thats owned by a person youl be working with for most of the game.

Bikes are OUT, but SIX motorcycle types are in.
    C-11 will be a HUGE enemy in the game.
    The Russian and Italian Mafias are at war and youl get to do missions for both.
    Maibatsu has become a major player in Liberty City, and Monstrositys are the norm in upper-middle class areas.

And finally, You WILL be mugged/Jacked/Jumped/Begged for money/held-up/car jacked AND possibly ignitiated into THREE different gangs, where you will be able to climb the ranks, through their own set of missions.

Take this how you want, I got labeled a LOON when I posted about the Jetpack in S.A. Under my then old account, Same name, different numbers, and when I posted about the Vortex.

I'd prefer that isn't true. One because it says normal bikes are out. Secondly I'm not mega pumped on playing a Russian but I'd rather it be Nikko.

DarkWarrior on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Anyone know when the magazine will be in stores?

Anyone?

bruin on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Bueller?

regarding the "what happens in the storyline" thing, it sounds like there's enough detail there to be plausible (although i'm puzzled why someone would go into that much detail in a conversation with a friend, well aware they were leaking massive points), but i don't really like the idea being proposed there. I can understand why, but it doesn't really seem to fit with previous GTA games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i guess i could deal with it being smaller- a good chunk of san andreas was just land good for nothing other than oyster hunting and biking. i was a little disappointed to learn that planes had been taken out, but I suppose there's more of an emphasis on plot this time, with a tone incompatible with action-hero protagonists.
    It actually reminds me quite a bit of Shenmue, which is amazing. Shenmue is until now the most true to life and beautiful depiction of life in an urban setting. I think that's what they're going for here.

i wonder if this will make me less trigger happy. In the past games you felt like shooting anyone you ran into, mostly because it was mindless entertainment if you were just bored on the streets between missions or whatever. I think it'll be somewhat different if you're in a city that has the personality of a real world city- somehow I think if done right they *could* infuse everything the player does with more gravity. I think it's kind of like the thing that makes FEAR and much better FPS to play than one of the generic last gen FPS.

Sam on
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Bueller?

regarding the "what happens in the storyline" thing, it sounds like there's enough detail there to be plausible (although i'm puzzled why someone would go into that much detail in a conversation with a friend, well aware they were leaking massive points), but i don't really like the idea being proposed there. I can understand why, but it doesn't really seem to fit with previous GTA games.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's a different continuity from the past gen GTA's, with a different tone. San Andreas was already a lot more character oriented than the previous ones, and I think they're trying to build on that by making the characters more real, giving them jobs instead of only having them appear in otherwise empty places for cutscenes. I hope they let you interact more with this Roman guy, if you're supposed to be living with him. I mean as cool as San Andreas was, imagine if Sweet and Big Smoke were actually in their houses, and you could go in and just interact.

Sam on
    edited April 2007
    That speculation in spoilers had better be bullshit because it sounds like it would make the plot shitty.
    The idea of not playing an antihero in GTA is ridiculous.

Sam on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Well according to rumors you play as
    A guy who use to be sort of a goofy good guy who has had his cousin killed and feels responsible and discouraged in leading a lawful life. Decides might as well become a criminal. The Rumor is you play as the cousin not as the guy on the cover of Game Informer

Yeah so I think non-conventional hero/criminal is how it's going to be, though the main character might not unnecessarily enjoy being a criminal himself.

graizur on
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys you're making the main character sound like a pussy or something

AHH! on
  • thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You could get carjacked as early as GTA2, invariably by people in green shirts who existed solely for this purpose.

People in bright red shirts were always muggers, who would drain your funds.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You could get carjacked as early as GTA2, invariably by people in green shirts who existed solely for this purpose.

People in bright red shirts were always muggers, who would drain your funds.

I remember that! The best was a green/red combo into a hit and run.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd hunt those red shirt bastards down just for the fun of it, just for thinking about robbing me.

Aaron Lee on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aaron Lee wrote: »
    I'd hunt those red shirt bastards down just for the fun of it, just for thinking about robbing me.

They are red shirts. They are born to be murdered.

Couscous on
    edited April 2007
    So up until actually reading the game informer article I was really hoping that the map would be an almost exact match for Manhattan streets. But now from the pictures I can tell you for a fact that rock star is not doing that at all. From the pictures I saw it looked like they are cutting and pasting building extieriors to make it just a "best of New York City architecture" type deal.

graizur on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Aaron Lee wrote: »

They are red shirts. They are born to be murdered.

The phrase "Gimme yo wallet!1" still haunts my dreams.

Bearcat on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love the GTA series' driving. I hope we get to do more slip-n'-slide speeding, without a bunch of dumb "realistic physics" getting in the way.

Hamurabi on
    edited April 2007
    I hope you get to meet really really smart bums who have all the secrets to the universe hidden inside their crazy little heads like in The Fisher King. I also hope there are a lot of interactions with Hasidic Jewish diamond and gold and jewelery dealers like up on 47th street. R* should take the scene from Snatch and turn it into a mission.

graizur on
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    I hope you get to meet really really smart bums who have all the secrets to the universe hidden inside their crazy little heads like in The Fisher King. I also hope there are a lot of interactions with Hasidic Jewish diamond and gold and jewelery dealers like up on 47th street. R* should take the scene from Snatch and turn it into a mission.

Yeah being able to interact with people on the street in ways other than beating them senseless and taking their moneywould be great.
    on the topic of taking people's money,being able to mug people under the right conditions would be cool too. Maybe there could be an added incentive for taking that route like getting credit card info, etc.

Sam on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I love the GTA series' driving. I hope we get to do more slip-n'-slide speeding, without a bunch of dumb "realistic physics" getting in the way.

It's so much fun learning to correct for drift when driving certain cars, or how to roll a car so you always land wheels down.

DarkPrimus on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's so much fun learning to correct for drift when driving certain cars, or how to roll a car so you always land wheels down.

You ain't lying. Driving in these kinds of games always ends up my favorite part of it. I hope my love/hate relationship with the Banshee will continue in this iteration of Liberty City. I also hope the Kuruma's featured. What a drivable little car.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »

You ain't lying. Driving in these kinds of games always ends up my favorite part of it. I hope my love/hate relationship with the Banshee will continue in this iteration of Liberty City. I also hope the Kuruma's featured. What a drivable little car.

Kuruma ftw! For a very common vehicle it was great to drive. If they were real I would buy one.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »

Kuruma ftw! For a very common vehicle it was great to drive. If they were real I would buy one.

That's where I always spend the bulk of my time during the "end game" of the GTA series. I'll throw on some podcasts and cruise the highways of San Andreas. Crackdown, so long as you don't mind the car physics (which really are only second to GTA's in the sandbox genre IMO) is great for this as well. Trying to weave in and out of traffic in some of the lesser cars is a blast. Something about working around the car's limitations is inherently satisfying.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow. I go away from the internet for a month and I come back to find out this.
    Awesome!

Rizzi on
  • wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doku-san wrote: »
    Awesome!

YOU WHAT!!!

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So with the little dispute over who you play, Niko or Roman- I guess it would make sense that they both become playable in Co-op mode which THEY SURE AS HELL BETTER INCLUDE. Even thier lesser imitators are able to implement is- Crackdown, I would imagine Rockstar finally has the ability to give us full fledged splitscreen independant Co-op. No weakass same screen girlfriend top down nonsense.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The game hass never really been about co-op though. Does not having it make it a deal breaker for people?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    The game hass never really been about co-op though. Does not having it make it a deal breaker for people?

No, but if done right, it could be really fun.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited April 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

No, but if done right, it could be really fun.

Especially over that head to head thingy you can do over the intertubes.

Sam on
    edited April 2007
    Doesn't even have to be like multi theft auto. 2-4 player co op sounds like a fucking kickass idea on its own.
    MTA is full of french kids that just want to hack the game and fly around in cars anyway.

Sam on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As flawed as the game was one thing I liked about The Getaway was that the police would come after you if just went through a red light, or drove on the wrong side of the street. I hope that sort of thing is in GTA4. I enjoyed that extra realism, I found it more immersive compared to having to chase down and smash into a police car in GTA to get their attention.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    Doesn't even have to be like multi theft auto. 2-4 player co op sounds like a fucking kickass idea on its own.
    MTA is full of french kids that just want to hack the game and fly around in cars anyway.

There is just something majestic about driving on a road in the sky with nitro every 1/2 km with an infernus with techno playing in the background.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited April 2007

There is just something majestic about driving on a road in the sky with nitro every 1/2 km with an infernus with techno playing in the background.

Any youtube footage of that I can check out?

graizur on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've started putting together a "jump" video for VC. Basically, I'm getting every vehicle in the game and taking it over the same jump, and recording the performance.

DarkPrimus on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »

Any youtube footage of that I can check out?

None to my knowledge, just install SA, put on MTA and sooner or later that map will appear.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Man that fake post was a distraction. It really bothers me that my ability to help others avoid it is limited. I want to post a new thread that says 'Don't click that link!!!' but I am afraid to make threads since I have hard time understanding the mods and what they consider good and bad. :'-(

graizur on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I just loved the Stallion in GTAIII. It was my car of choice in nearly all missions. Only exceptions were the race missions which I usually opted for a Cheetah. I don't know how to describe it but drifting in that car is like nothing else in the game and is actually quite fun and is a good way to get around once you really get good at it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • TheGoushTheGoush Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Game Informer held a Q&A with the writer of the GTA article.

Only real news to come out of it is that airplanes are out, but helicopters and possibly other flying vehicles are in.

Some of the questions they picked are pretty horrible. "Are there female pedestrians or good looking chicks"? Genius.

TheGoush on
    gouki14kc.gif
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So are Airplanes like 747s or Airbuses out and say small aircraft in? That could make sense.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wha??? wrote: »
    Doku-san wrote: »
    Awesome!

YOU WHAT!!!

's not my fault. Had to move houses. Stuck on my crappy old pc and dial up till my DSL modem gets here sometime this month.. >.>
    So I cant even try MTA :(

Rizzi on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    So are Airplanes like 747s or Airbuses out and say small aircraft in? That could make sense.

No airplanes of any kind. Which, frankly, I'm glad of. Apparently helicopters are staying? We have ourselves a fucking winner, ladies and gentlemans.

TOP OF PAGE NEWS UPDATE: gta4.net had a Q&A with they guy that did the preview for GI.

GAME MECHANIC SPOILER:
    Is it possible to climb on a ladder?

I didn’t see Niko climb a ladder, per se, but I did see him ascend a telephone pole to get a bird’s eye view of Liberty City. He didn’t climb up it like a gorilla, however. He simply pulled himself up on the series of rungs on the pole. This feat was actually quite impressive. You could clearly see his weight transfer from side to side as he moved up the pole.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg