As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    How in the fuck is an Infiltrator supposed to deal with an advancing krogan in a corridor with no cover?

Because dear sweet space jesus I'm about ready to spike my controller.
    Doing the Mordin recruitment mission, are you ? Those hallways by the exhaust fans are teh suck. Honestly ? Switch to your SMG and pump lead into him until he drops. Hopefully you have someone like Garrus or Zaeed with you to put him on his back with Concussive Shot.
    Very end of the Archangel mission, actually.

I've got a blind stairway that ends in a corridor that has an angry krogan in it. If I back down the ramp he doesn't follow, and instead goes in to tag team Garrus. But I can't survive more than two shotgun blasts, and he advances too quickly for my shield to regen in cover.

I finally got it done, mostly by luck.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    What about the messy sort of hair that some of the women on Jacob's loyalty mission have. That's not an option in the character creator.

Yeah, that hair, Kelly's hair, and Jentha's hair are strangely absent from the character creator. Not an issue if you're on the PC I guess.

I don't know about the others, but Kelly's doesn't actually look very good. It looks okay from the angles you see Kelly at during dialogue, but it otherwise looks kind of weird.

You're not really missing out on much by not being able to select her hair by default.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, that ME1 opening menu music is so sad and thoughtful. Like a synthesizer dirge, very much unlike the "Let's go kick some Collector arse" stirring battle hymns in ME2. Probably the best piece of music in both games. Is it available via Itunes, I wonder ?

EDIT- No. Drat.

Fairchild on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    What about the messy sort of hair that some of the women on Jacob's loyalty mission have. That's not an option in the character creator.

Yeah, that hair, Kelly's hair, and Jentha's hair are strangely absent from the character creator. Not an issue if you're on the PC I guess.

I don't know about the others, but Kelly's doesn't actually look very good. It looks okay from the angles you see Kelly at during dialogue, but it otherwise looks kind of weird.

You're not really missing out on much by not being able to select her hair by default.

Yeah, its a very weird hair. When she's actually speaking it looks okay but when I'm running around the CIC between missions I just look and I think whats with that hair

Dhalphir on
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, that ME1 opening menu music is so sad and thoughtful. Like a synthesizer dirge, very much unlike the "Let's go kick some Collector arse" stirring battle hymns in ME2. Probably the best piece of music in both games. Is it available via Itunes, I wonder ?

EDIT- No. Drat.

Yeah, that song, "Vigil" has got to be my favorite of any of the songs from Mass Effect 1 or 2. To me it's almost like the theme music to the Mass Effect series, and I hope it makes a return in ME3.

Ad astra on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yes, that's Vigil's theme, I had forgotten. Which explains the "sad and thoughtful" element.

Fairchild on
    edited April 2010

Yeah, its a very weird hair. When she's actually speaking it looks okay but when I'm running around the CIC between missions I just look and I think whats with that hair

And that's why everyone should use the best hair and not pine after everyone else's hair.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »

EDIT- No. Drat.

Yeah, that song, "Vigil" has got to be my favorite of any of the songs from Mass Effect 1 or 2. To me it's almost like the theme music to the Mass Effect series, and I hope it makes a return in ME3.

I like both. ME1's Vigil theme is like the theme of the universe. ME2's theme, particularly that horn sound it has - is more like Shepard's theme.

electricitylikesme on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah, i love that song. :D when i was on ilos it started to play and it just felt epic

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited April 2010
    It did feel great. Still, there's something special about End Run playing as you fly away from an explosion that just keeps exploding.

In fact I'd say the Vigil theme is really more the theme of fantastic information. Like when you're learning the secrets of the universe.

electricitylikesme on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loop Yakkity Sax while playing a Vanguard.

Dhalphir on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh yeah. Suicide Mission is great for that "impossible odds" feel :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited April 2010
    They still need to work Spectre Induction into somewhere else.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah Vigil is pretty sweet. It's weird how slow the music and feel of ME1 is, since by all means there's a much greater sense of urgency than the sequel. I also like the post-Virmire and love theme.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010
    ME2's music is awesome, but there is just something about Vigil that makes me all nostalgic and gives me this epic feeling. I also loved how they used Vigil as a callback on Horizon and Tuchanka.

Ad astra on
    edited April 2010
    oh my god yes

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010

An orchestral version would work well as an accompianment to whatever speech Shepard will need to give his forces in ME3.

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010
    Also Spectre Induction and the Normandy Reborn have a lot in common.

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010
    Also Spectre Induction and the Normandy Reborn have a lot in common.

But it's not the same. And the moment never felt as big to me even though it was pretty cool.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Nothing really beats the song when Shepard emerges from the wreckage, Wrex all :( and Anderson all :'| and Shepard coming out all YEEEEAH I SAVED THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD MAN with that smirk.

followed by faunts

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010
    The whole ending of ME1 was so much more epic feeling than ME2's and I found it so much more satisfying.

Is it time for giant end sequence screenshots again?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2010
    oh god yes faunts was awesome

it's like "you saved the universe now guys are singing about you"

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited April 2010
    honestly i would be ok with having the entire ME3 soundtrack be M4 Part II

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010
    The whole ending of ME1 was so much more epic feeling than ME2's and I found it so much more satisfying.

Eh, I have to say I don't know.

I think I pretty much like them evenly for setting. But the combat system in ME2 puts it over the top for me. The pacing of the battles is just more fun.

Plus you know, in ME2 you get to super-nuke that base.

EDIT: Oooh - and talking to the Illusive Man at the end. That seals the deal.

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010

Eh, I have to say I don't know.

I think I pretty much like them evenly for setting. But the combat system in ME2 puts it over the top for me. The pacing of the battles is just more fun.

Plus you know, in ME2 you get to super-nuke that base.

EDIT: Oooh - and talking to the Illusive Man at the end. That seals the deal.

I don't know, racing up the outside of the Citadel Tower, groaning under the attached Reaper, towards the top in low gravity while a massive space battle rages outside the closed arms is pretty cool.

I found that ME2's ending was just made up of a bunch of choices and pretty standard sequences that are only even somewhat interesting if you make the wrong decisions. I was left feeling like the end sequence was just any other mission in the game and, not even having lost anyone, that I hadn't even really done anything very dangerous.

The lead up to the actual fighting through the base was cooler than the actual mission.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, while taking a shot at the politicians was nice, cutting off TIM while stealing his ship and his best operatives and the body he built you is just 8-)

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010
    oh god yes faunts was awesome

it's like "you saved the universe now guys are singing about you"

"AND I NEED YOU TO RECOVER!! BECAUSE I CAAAAAAAN'T MAKE IT ON MY OOOOOOWN!!"

Ad astra on
    edited April 2010
    whenever i want to play ME2 i listen to the launch trailer music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited April 2010
    I liked ME2s ending because of how much more immersive it felt. You've just compeleted the suicide mission. They could have let the game end at the flight away from the exploding base but you could go back onto the ship, converse with your crew and see what they all felt about it.

Obviously that was mostly done to allow you to play side missions and DLC even on a completed save file, but it was still better.

The only complaint I have, thats a major annoyance for me, that applies to both games, is that quite often the text of the dialog choices did not even remotely resemble what you went on to say.

Example: when romancing Thane, femshep can choose an option that says "I want you, Thane." What actually ends up being said is something about "i'll be here for you".

It doesn't make much difference once you know top right = paragon, middle = neutral, bottom right = renegade, but before you know that, its very easy to say something completely unintended.

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2010
    In other (exciting) news, I modified one of my old faces to no longer have scary eyelashes. I'll miss her squinty eyes, but I'm very happy. Her face has also been edited to be less long, but who cares? The eyelashes are better.
    masseffect2201004242011.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the old Normandy theme more than Spectre Induction. As soon as I hear it I think of the lone Spectre set loose with a ship of Alliance crew, and the underlying sense of urgency (especially hearing the beginning of the song every time returning to the ship).
    Ad astra wrote: »
    ME2's music is awesome, but there is just something about Vigil that makes me all nostalgic and gives me this epic feeling. I also loved how they used Vigil as a callback on Horizon and Tuchanka.

Yeah, Vigil is a nostalgic and remorseful melody. Fitting for the last remnant of an annihilated culture. Ilos and that part of it in particular are my favorite parts of ME1 by far.

All told though, I prefer ME2's conclusion. From the incredible approach to the constant fighting your way through the collectors while Harbinger, the coolest non-Shepard in the galaxy, taunts you...final boss was a bit silly, but the escape was excellent. Everything felt more important even though it obviously wasn't.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think ME2's ending sequence was fine, but I think its' weakness is the middle part, which consists of a bunch of unrelated character related missions having little to nothing to do with the central plot.

It gave the game sort of a disjointed feel that ME1 doesn't have as much of.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    I like the old Normandy theme more than Spectre Induction. As soon as I hear it I think of the lone Spectre set loose with a ship of Alliance crew, and the underlying sense of urgency (especially hearing the beginning of the song every time returning to the ship).

All I'm reminded of when I hear it is that fucking elevator and not wanting to go talk with most of my team.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I think ME2's ending sequence was fine, but I think its' weakness is the middle part, which consists of a bunch of unrelated character related missions having little to nothing to do with the central plot.

On the other hand, ME2's missions set up a lot of cool stories and develop the universe, while Feros and Noveria are "oh hey, human colony. oh hey, corporate corruption. TO THE GETH!"

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2010
    In other (exciting) news, I modified one of my old faces to no longer have scary eyelashes. I'll miss her squinty eyes, but I'm very happy. Her face has also been edited to be less long, but who cares? The eyelashes are better.
    masseffect2201004242011.jpg

That is a damn good looking Shepard..... You wouldn't happen to have the face codes for it would you?

Ad astra on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All I'm reminded of when I hear it is that fucking elevator and not wanting to go talk with most of my team.

The elevator took like, 5 seconds on the PC.

Though I wonder how many manSheps ended up romancing the annoying alien simply because it involved less transit time.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *raise hand*

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay on my first playthrough of ME2 still and am currently stuck at
    The "derelict" collector ship. I'm nearing the end but theres this giant ship/enemy thing shooting at me as well as a couple of normal collectors. Problem is I'm barely doing damage to the ship, and it'll kill me in 4 or 5 seconds.

How do I get past that?

Zerokku on
    edited April 2010

See that really didn't bother me.

ME1 bothered the hell out of me - the first time I played it I missed all the sidequests because "oh shit stopping a guy trying to end the galaxy is pretty important". It always felt wrong not to be doing exactly that.

ME2's felt close to perfect. When important shit happened, I was shot off to do it right away - as I would expect to be. When I was done with that though, I felt perfectly fine flying around the galaxy doing other things and building up the team.

The only real weakness of it was shuttle thing to get me off the Normandy. It telegraphed what was going to happen way too heavily.

electricitylikesme on
    edited April 2010

The elevator took like, 5 seconds on the PC.

Though I wonder how many manSheps ended up romancing the annoying alien simply because it involved less transit time.

Maybe I'm just abnormal, but the ship elevator never really bothered me that much.

Ad astra on