As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hunter] The Field Project

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It is.

But I also imagine it being Esmer standing over all of our dead bodies, firing the ultima weapon and saving the day.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She's too dumb and optimistic to be affected by the BROADSWORD's mind-wrecking powers.

Only she can wield it.

(I secretly sort of hope this is true.)

DE?AD on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Attagirl, Esmer. See that, boys? She's got more sand than any of you."

Hank flips down the microphone.

"Hey! Parsons! You listening? We have that nice lookin' gun... the 'broadsword' and we're taking it with us. You can either give us a crash course in using it or you can hope we don't do something terrible to ourselver. Did you 'copy' that? Start talking."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's some silence, and then Parsons comes on the radio. "...copy that." You hear him sighing "Alright, listen lads, that device is intended as a weapon of last resort against the big shit, supernaturals you can't take down in any other way. I don't know all the particulars of the tech, I've never used the thing, but it's basically a big... undo button. It undoes supernaturals. Doesn't just kill 'em, doesn't blow 'em up. It rewrites reality in the direction you fire so that they... don't exist."

He is silent for another few seconds, and then comes back on with a much more urgent tone to his voice "Ferryman team, you have thaumatech. You will be affected by the Broadsword if you are anywhere in front of it when it goes off. So whoever fires it, needs to be on point."

He's silent again. It appears he might be being briefed on the subject himself, and is passing on the information to you.

"Using a corrective device like this usually requires months if not years of proper psychological training to deal with what happens when you use it. Maybe you can handle it, maybe you can't, but if you have any doubts that you can then you probably can't. Everyone who isn't using the weapon shouldn't be anywhere near it when it goes off, and shouldn't watch. Inevitable for the user, though, god help that poor bastard. Parsons out."

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank took a long, ponderous pull on his cigarette. He butted it out on the ground and bent down on one knee in front of Esmer, who was still holding the 'Broadsword'. It struck him for the first time how small she was... he was almost looking her in the face.

"Esmer... I can take that if you're scared."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer really, really wanted to hand over the Broadsword. She wanted nothing more than to hand over the Broadsword. She wasn't fully sure what Parsons meant by "undoing" things, but it was heavy, and cold, and it sounded bad.

...but she'd be damned if she was going to go back on her bravado.

Esmer shakes her head and narrows her eyes. "Nah, I got this," she manages, sounding entirely unlike herself.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh maaaaaaaaaaaan

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm never not playing a High Optimism/Low Intelligence character ever again.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bo sighs and watches the scene unfold.

He winces a bit as part of him really wants to take the gun, despite his own safety, to protect Esmer.

Another part of him recoils from the idea, seeing as he has already died once and it was definitely in the top ten worst experiences of his life.

And a third part of him just wants to go to waffle house. God, I would kill for some hashbrowns about now.

"Well, that is ... decided. Now, unless we wanna take some of these other funny lookin things, I believe it is time to go varmint huntin'.", Bo loads a round into Isabelle for effect and grins.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank touches Esmer on the shoulder, and his big mitts give her a squeeze.

"You're the real thing, kiddo. But be careful. You're taking on a big weight."

He gets up and checks the safety on the shotgun again. Locked and loaded.

"Hey... Paul. Adrian. You're smart guys, right? Either of you make sense of what's on the table there?"

Hank pointed at the mysteriously-labeled items. The "Therianthrope Epinephrine", "Haemovore Vitae" and "Mark of Tindalos".

Hey Pony, can you confirm Hank's current health status from the First Aid that Bo administered?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Technically, using First Aid on someone with Lethal damage doesn't actually restore any health. It can restore a single point of Bashing damage, and it can stop someone who is bleeding to death from dying.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So it didn't do anything?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    With the medkit I mean.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    So it didn't do anything?

You gained extra XP!

(Hunter gives you +1 Practical XP for each Exceptional Success)

Since Bo got an Exceptional Success I am going to say it knocks off 1 Lethal damage.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You're a nice guy Pony!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i encourage exceptional success, chance rolls, and crazy action movie bullshit in my campaigns

might get you killed, but if it doesn't....

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i'm all about the chance rolls and crazy action movie stuff

i love the chance roll mechanic

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FYI, at the end of the adventure you guys will be getting XP based on these things:

+1 for every Hunter involved
    +1 for every exceptional success that was relevant to the adventure.
    +1 for every dramatic failure
    +1 if the monster(s) displayed powers or abilities that were a) supernatural in nature and b) new to at least half the group, rounding up.
    +1 if the group used a Tactic successfully
    +1 if a Tactic had never been used "in the field" (that is to say, on a real monster) before
    +1 if the group saves the life of at least one person, not counting other hunters.
    +1 if the hunters drove the creature off
    +2 if the hunters immobilized or captured the creature.
    +2 if the hunters used a creative new approach or strategy with success.
    +3 if the hunters killed/destroyed the monster, or permanently rendered the creature harmless.
    -1 if any bystanders (that is, neither monster nor hunters) came to harm
    -1 for any instance of the group working against itself; friendly fire, aggressive one-upmanship, etc.
    -1 if any member of the group fell victim to a mind or emotion-influence power
    -1 if any member of the group put anyone else (hunter or otherwise) in direct danger
    -1 if the group attempted but failed to perform a Tactic
    -2 if any bystanders were killed (not cumulative with the "coming to harm" penalty)
    -2 if the hunters were forced to flee (if a retreat was part of the plan from the beginning, this doesn't apply)
    -2 for every derangement gained or provoked (meaning the player failed the character's roll to resist a derangement)
    -3 for each hunter killed

These points are on a per scene basis, ie a specific combat or dangerous interaction with a NPC or other dramatic moment.

So, for example, when Esmer yelled at the werewolf and scored an Exceptional Success, while it didn't end up doing much, going balls-out like that is going to net you guys an extra +1 at the end.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    so are xp's awarded on a per-scene or per-total-adventure basis?

edit: nvm i was a dingus and read your list instead of the first sentance

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mmmm exp.

Just to give y'all a heads up. I am heading out of town (read: drinking excursion) and will most likely not be back until sunday afternoon/evening. So I prolly won't be posting till I get back.

But I <3 this campaign so much.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is there anything in the room that looks like it might be ammo for the Broadsword, or are we assuming it's some sort of energy weapon?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i don't think it's the sort of thing that gets used twice

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    out of game, I'd say it's magic

like, Sons of Ether type shit.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That was my thought, too - but it does have the opening at the back which might indicate it requires some sort of ammo.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the opening at the back is probably where the recoil blast is released

which is why parsons basically said "don't have anyone around you if you use this"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer smiles slightly at Hank, before nodding, taking a deep breath and stomping toward the door. "Alright, you heard the, the guy. This thing'll fuck us up as much as them, so when I shout 'clear', I want each and everyone of your asses behind mine, double-time. We clear on that, boys?" She turns around to scan the rest of the group, keeping a stern expression on her face.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank snapped a salute and winked.

"Sir, yes sir."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am going to move you guys along on sunday evening, when Moose is back from destroying his liver.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pony are night vision type goggles something we would be able to find in this room?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    pony are night vision type goggles something we would be able to find in this room?

sure.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, is moose back yet from punishing his liver?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am back good sirs.

Good times had by all.

Liver function remains unknown.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hank got close to Esmer for a moment. He smelled like sweat, blood and adrenaline. Combined with his scarred appearance, it was a little more unsettleing. She reached out and touched the blood that was running down the side of his head. He hadn't noticed it before. He felt his scalp, and looked at his blood-soaked hand after pulling it back. Then... an all too familiar pain.

"Motherfuckers... rrgh... goddamnit that werewolf almost tore off my ear. Can you believe that?"
    He gently pulled back a lock of Esmer's hair, put his mouth close to her ear, and whispered. Suddenly the danger that lurked around him was palpable, but somehow different. He wasn't nearly the good man he was hoping he might be. But there was something in him that made him other than the man he was, or had been.
    "I'm not going to let any of these bastards hurt you. You hear me? You hold tight to that cannon. You be careful... and don't you fire it until you're the last one standing. So long as I'm sucking air, I'm going to be in front of anything... or anyone that tries to hurt you."
    Not waiting for a response, Hank grabbed the Therianthrope Epinephrine, Haemovore Vitae and Mark of Tindalos, unceremoniously tossing them to Paul, who (though surprised) caught them in spite of the adjustments he was making to his collar and tie.
    "Nice catch. Now figure those out, or ask Parsons or something. I've already got what I know how to use."
    He took another quick look at the lockers, and pulled a pair of goggles that were labeled "night vision", and hung them around his neck. He turned to the group with an involuntary murderous look in his eyes, and loudly barked in his deep voice.
    "Listen up!! It's time to move out. We've got to move quick. Those goddamn monsters know we're here... and we've got to get to our objective, or whatever the Hell you want to call it, before they can stop us. Move fast. Keep your eyes open. And most importantly...
    "Stay alive."

Let's do this thing, people.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bo flicks his cigarette onto the ground and goes to stomp it before he realizes that it fell into a pool of congealing blood. With a bit of a wince, he moves his foot away.

After the two rousing speeches he simple shrugs, "Well, I am pretty inspired after that."

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's been a busy week for ole Pony!

I'm on newfangled medication for my rotting brain meat, so hopefully things improve!

I plan to get a post up very soon, either later tonight or tomorrow (probably tomorrow)

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i have to play the musical chairs medication thing from time to time also

hope it works out for you with this one

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moving on!

Having geared up and prepared yourselves, you travel through the complex towards the Manufacturing and Utilities section.

Using your yellow keycards, you pass into room YX4, the security checkpoint for Manufacturing and Utilities. There's more corpses here, but only a few of them are security personnel. Many, in fact, are men and women in dark purple coveralls, like the sort you would see factory workers wear. You're able to get a set of purple keycards off of the bodies, and you carefully make your way out of YX4, into P1, the factory floor itself.

This place is different from the rest of the facility you have seen thus far. It's a large manufacturing area, divided into several different lines. Each production line appears to be working on a completely different product. One line appears to be sorting and packaging pharmaceuticals with the Cheiron Group logo on it. Tiny black and yellow capsules, which are being filled with a viscous yellow substance from a vat at the beginning of that line. Others are producing ammunition, another appears to be a series of chemical mixers that are then depositing the final product into black unmarked cans, the size and shape of a soda can.

In total, there appears to be about a half-dozen other product lines, although from the doorway it's unclear what they are. None of the production lines are currently running, although several of them have spilled piles of their finished product at the end, where the automated line continued for a few moments before being stopped. A wide path runs through the factory floor, leading to the huge double-doors at the end of the room.

The room is dimly lit. The normal lighting is offline, and emergency back-up lights are running, alternating between a red glow and a dim white, casting an unusual ruddy hue on the room every few seconds. Long shadows extend off the industrial machinery and nearby shelving, and visibility is low.

All the doors to this large room are shut, and aside from a few more dead factory workers here and there, the factory floor appears unoccupied.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I need to PM people?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esmer moves into the room, being careful to step on as few bodies as possible. She glances back at the others to see if they're keeping up.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Stay behind us, Esmer. Jack, up front with me."

Hank held the shotgun ready at his shoulder... whatever could make this many corpses would be well capable of making more.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg