As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why am I always female?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sneezer wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You like looking at female virtual characters.......?

The do realize the irony of that, no?

I have no idea what's going on.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you people, if I'm playing the game I rarely look at my character. Or atleast I don't stare at it all the time.

MMOs are an example of a game where you spend a lot of time not just looking at the action around you and stuff your doing but also your character. You run around alot out in the world as them and sometimes during the grind your brain can wander off and go "Hey, I think my guy or gal could use better looking gloves".

Mass Effect too, has dozens of dialogue things where you get close ups of characters talking with your Shepard, and your still running around as them. It's hard not to look, but assuming that by looking your looking beyond maybe a casual glance or basking in the awesomeness of some epic you've aquired and equipped.. you shouldn't assume that.

Creating characters in a game is based on stuff we want to see ourselves running around as. We want to represent ourselves in a way we see as ideally indicative of ourselves. Sexuality doesn't translate into it.
    And people invest a part of themselves in characters they write in books or draw on paper all the time. Characters in video games are the intellectual property of their developers, but when they give you the ability to create within what they create, you still invest yourself in it for, if no other reason, something cool to look like while you kick ass and take names. And there's nothing wrong with that.

This is being overthought I think.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Hillean wrote: »
    The way I see it

if I hafta look at someone's ass for many, many hours running on the screen... its gonna be a chick's

For those that can't see, I limed the quote that limed the quote.

Anyone wanna Xzibit that for me?

the worst argument, made by the most repressed homos

it's ok if you want to see what the game is like if you play as a gender other than yours! it doesn't make you gay! you don't have to assert how straight you are just because you chose the female avatar!

Nuzak on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had a co-worker that was huge into RPGs and MMOs. He called guys who pick female characters Cross Dressers, and swore they were secretly gay or repressed transexuals. Even in fighting games, he would never ever use a female fighter. Made him less of a man in his mind.

I told him it's just a game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always play as a male character when given a choice. Then again, I'm a full-stop misogynist.

Well, not really. But I do always pick a male character.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything "creepy" about having a sexual preference toward females and preferring to have one in front of you the whole game. "It's just a stupid virtual thing" is the sort of useless argument that could cover playing the whole game at all if you really bought into it.

I do tend to pick males in order to better place myself in the character myself, though.

it's not creepy, but it is basically them trying to pre-empt accusations that they like it up the bum because they are curious about playing as a female and therfore must like dresses and flowers and anal sex

Nuzak on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My main character in wow is male, but all the alts i play are female. I guess if im going to replay content then i want a better ass to look at all the time.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything "creepy" about having a sexual preference toward females and preferring to have one in front of you the whole game. "It's just a stupid virtual thing" is the sort of useless argument that could cover playing the whole game at all if you really bought into it.

I do tend to pick males in order to better place myself in the character myself, though.

it's not creepy, but it is basically them trying to pre-empt accusations that they like it up the bum because they are curious about playing as a female and therfore must like dresses and flowers and anal sex

It's a slippery slope to leather and bondage that's for true!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do like dressing them up in armour and stuff.

So I'm repressing myself I guess?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I do like dressing them up in armour and stuff.

So I'm repressing myself I guess?

Apparently.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The way I see it, trying to pursue romantic relationships in RPGs when you're playing as a female is pretty gay, so it's better to just play as a male if your planning on developing relationships.

gearn on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let me put it this way guys-

There is a HUGE difference between "I play female characters because they allow me to become more immersed due to skills/abilities/the character model being better animated"

and

"I play female characters because dat ass!"

You can try and spin it away, but the thing is, if the second statement is WHY you made a female character, that is sexism. Fullstop.

Why? Because you are not concerned with immersion or the game world at this point; you are concerned with how hot your female avatar is. And why are you concerned? Because dat ass. Which, thus, projects the message that you believe women are eye candy.

In short- hella' creepy goosin'.

Arch on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gearn wrote: »
    The way I see it, trying to pursue romantic relationships in RPGs when you're playing as a female is pretty gay, so it's better to just play as a male if your planning on developing relationships.

Better for who?

And who has declared this as pretty gay? The straight police?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Why? Because you are not concerned with immersion or the game world at this point; you are concerned with how hot your female avatar is. And why are you concerned? Because dat ass. Which, thus, projects the message that you believe women are eye candy.
    I don't doubt that some who hold that position are sexist, and the way the preference was phrased earlier is wince-worthy, but I do believe it's possible to to enjoy the female form while also believing woman are more than just eye candy.

Dismissing everyone who "admits" they're attracted to women is a form of sexual repression.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Let me put it this way guys-

There is a HUGE difference between "I play female characters because they allow me to become more immersed due to skills/abilities/the character model being better animated"

and

"I play female characters because dat ass!"

You can try and spin it away, but the thing is, if the second statement is WHY you made a female character, that is sexism. Fullstop.

In short- hella' creepy goosin'.

can we replace the OP with this post please so this thread doesn't devolve into flippy d's "fucking the peach" sexism extravaganza

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't doubt that some who hold that position are sexist, and the way the preference was phrased earlier is wince-worthy, but I do believe it's possible to to enjoy the female form while also believing woman are more than just eye candy.

as arch said before that quoted segment

if you ONLY chose a female avatar because of dat ass, you are sexist

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Leather is okay, but nothing creates that extra sensitivity like rubber and vinyl.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Hillean wrote: »
    The way I see it

if I hafta look at someone's ass for many, many hours running on the screen... its gonna be a chick's

For those that can't see, I limed the quote that limed the quote.

Anyone wanna Xzibit that for me?

the worst argument, made by the most repressed homos

it's ok if you want to see what the game is like if you play as a gender other than yours! it doesn't make you gay! you don't have to assert how straight you are just because you chose the female avatar!

Yeah this is pretty much the status quo for blatantly homophobic response.

You like to play as girls. No one is implying that doing so makes you love to suck dick. Who are you re-assuring? :wink:

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch, are gay guys who do the same with their avatars therefore misandrists? How about bi guys who di it to both? Certainly I could see it leading to that mind set, or a product of it, but it doesn't have to be per se.

Actually, I think the way that people seem to create their idealised version of a women, who they then go on to control and assert their agency on the game world with, is a fairly interesting. Especially with the links to escapism. It's fairly hard to act as if the character doesn't in some ways reflect you given the nature of the game systems.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Which, thus, projects the message that you believe women are eye candy.

Why can't women be respectable while still being eye candy? goose

gearn on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Your judgmental silly goosery is coming off way, way worse than whatever justifications they're coming up with for playing as female characters. The same goes for the other silly geese throwing 'creepy' and 'gay' words around. What is this, bloody high school?

Oh and sexist? Are you kidding me?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

I can so testify.

When I started playing Style Savvy/Boutique, I was all about the sweaters and big coats and long trousers.

Now it's corsets, miniskirts and stiletto boots as far as the eye can see.

Of course, the fact that I started playing in late autumn/early winter and it's now spring may have something do with this development. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females. That means you are a sexist.

gearn on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just like being pretty

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Dismissing everyone who "admits" they're attracted to women is a form of sexual repression

Limed for truth.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't have to be about "dat ass". Some people just see the female form as a thing of beauty and prefer to look at something they find more aesthetically pleasing.

Beauty ≠ sex object.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Arch, are gay guys who do the same with their avatars therefore misandrists? How about bi guys who di it to both? Certainly I could see it leading to that mind set, or a product of it, but it doesn't have to be per se.

Actually, I think the way that people seem to create their idealised version of a women, who they then go on to control and assert their agency on the game world with, is a fairly interesting. Especially with the links to escapism. It's fairly hard to act as if the character doesn't in some ways reflect you given the nature of the game systems.

Again the point that I failed to make (and addressed in our other discussion) is this-

Is the point of the game to oogle your male/female character? When playing dragon age, are you making teh hottest elf so you can watch dat ass swing? (regardless of whether you are a dude makin' a dude, a chick makin' a dude, or any other combination)

Maybe the big "s" word was thrown around too lightly; I will concede that. But either way this mentality is still not a positive one to have, and can potentially lead to an oppressive mentality wherein you are ascribing sexual attraction to a character wherein that facet of the avatar is not the point of the game.

At the lightest it is creepy goosing. At the heaviest it turns into full on objectification.

Do you go to the grocery store, wear shades and stare at women's racks/dude's asses/etc?

This is a similar scenario

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Your blowing this wayyyyyy out of proportion Arch.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010

You see it wrong. "Gay" in this context is a person who is sexually attracted to members of the same sex to the degree that they engage in or would like to engage in sex acts with them. There is no definition of the word "gay" that includes videogames in any way.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Your judgmental silly goosery is coming off way, way worse than whatever justifications they're coming up with for playing as female characters. The same goes for the other silly geese throwing 'creepy' and 'gay' words around. What is this, bloody high school?

Oh and sexist? Are you kidding me?

person a: "i play as a female character exclusively because i am sexually attracted to females. that is the only reason i have supplied."

i'm taking one of two conclusions from this position: either you think the only reason to play as a female is not for curiosity or gender issues, but because of dat ass, and so you probably believe that that's what females are there for: dat ass

or, you actually play as female characters because you are curious about how the game differs from a different perspective, but you don't want to admit that because somebody might think you're some kind of gender-bending sodomite tranny hooker, so you have to dress it up in macho bullshit like "heh, i only play as females in games because i like backing the avatar into a corner and lookin' down her top, AM I RIGHT GUYS"

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Calling it sexism because someone wants to look at a certain gender's ass while they play is stupid.

"Oh no, you're attracted to the opposite sex and that's why you chose your character! You must be a homophobic sexist silly goose!"

Depending on the spirit behind the decision I'll admit it can be creepy but calling it sexist and homophobic just seems like a way of going "Look! I used a tender topic! No one would dare oppose it because then they'd be sexist/homophobic by association!" and really, I don't think that's the arguement you want to make.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Playing a female character means you want to have complete control and essentially domination over females.
    :V

Oh snap, this thread is obviously going places. This means I am too by participating in it.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Calling it sexism because someone wants to look at a certain gender's ass while they play is stupid.

"Oh no, you're attracted to the opposite sex and that's why you chose your character! You must be a homophobic sexist silly goose!"

Depending on the spirit behind the decision I'll admit it can be creepy but calling it sexist and homophobic just seems like a way of going "Look! I used a tender topic! No one would dare oppose it because then they'd be sexist/homophobic by association!" and really, I don't think that's the arguement you want to make.

that is not the point I was trying to make! Read Nuzak's response above you.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i'm gonna stop you there, because nobody has said that

what i said was, "if the only reason, the only reason, the sole and singular reason you have supplied for playing as a girl in videogames is because you love titties and lookin' at em especially, that's probably indicative of sexist attitudes"

wanna stop being defensive now

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always play female characters. Part of it is association - I am a woman, I can't get into the game as much if I'm playin a man. Part of it is aesthetics - look at the difference between male and female night elves! A third part of it is unknown - I'll play as a male if they give me no choice, but I would always rather be female hands down, just on a gut level.

I do enjoy making a wide variety of female characters though. I have an older, ugly dwarf priestess in WoW as well as lots of pretty elves and humans. My Witch Hunter in Warhammer Online was scarred and grim looking. My Shepard is kind of pale and plain, especially next to Miranda.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm taking one of two conclusions from this position: either you think the only reason to play as a female is not for curiosity or gender issues, but because of dat ass, and so you probably believe that that's what females are there for: dat ass

That's a loooooong draw.
    Thinking that because a guy chose a female avatar for dat ass in a game where there will be no difference between a male or female avatar beyond their look he believes that all females in the real world are here only for dat ass is absolutely ridiculous.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    This thread has the rest of the page to stop being stupid

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i'm gonna stop you there, because nobody has said that

what i said was, "if the only reason, the only reason, the sole and singular reason you have supplied for playing as a girl in videogames is because you love titties and lookin' at em especially, that's probably indicative of sexist attitudes"

wanna stop being defensive now

Which is also the point I attempted to make, but perhaps was not as clear.

Arch on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I want to be the prettiest princess.

The very prettiest, like no one's ever been.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    person a: "i play as a female character exclusively because i am sexually attracted to females. that is the only reason i have supplied."

or, you actually play as female characters because you are curious about how the game differs from a different perspective, but you don't want to admit that because somebody might think you're some kind of gender-bending sodomite tranny hooker, so you have to dress it up in macho bullshit like "heh, i only play as females in games because i like backing the avatar into a corner and lookin' down her top, AM I RIGHT GUYS"

Nuzak is a wellspring of wisdom.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.