As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]Zombie Master Beta Release!!

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    v.1.0.1 is more fun than v1.0.0, but it's still not enough to hold my attention for too long. I'm definitely keeping my eye on future updates, though.

so are we not playing then

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oriak I will play when I get home from campus and get it installed.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Yo anyone up for a game

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited April 2007
    i'd play but i have to studyyyy

i will play tomorrow

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2007
    studying is for wimps and faggots

i have to study after this game too damnit

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes, lets try to play tonight.
    PS. What other good zombie mods are there to hold me off until NMRIH?

GroovyMr1337 on
    edited April 2007
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    studying is for wimps and faggots

i have to study after this game too damnit

i can't hear you over all this abstract expressionism

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2007
    get on vent, game on 2, we are getting a game going bitches

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's mean, I can't use Vent as I'm not in my own house :(

You could always, you know, post the server details here once its up, if you don't mind...?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We still doing something with this? I've got it installed and ready and shit...

Imperfect on
    edited April 2007
    That was awesome.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That was freakin awesome. Great Game On.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really cannot wait until this game becomes more playable. It's going to be insanely fun.

Captain K on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this looks like it could be fucking sweet.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gripes:

- When carrying stuff, the game gets unbearably herky-jerky.
    - Zombie AI is terrible - even for zombies.
    - As the Zombie Master, I'm having a hard time making my zombies do anything constructive.
    - WAY too much ammo. It doesn't feel "survival horror", it feels "yay, zombies! kill kill kill kill."
    - The banshee animations are awful. They slide along the earth perfoming a crawling animation.

But yeah, this game COULD be really really fun when the bugs are worked out and it's more polished.

Imperfect on
    edited April 2007
    Well, most of the AI problems are down to lousy pathfinding nodes according to the map maker, and that's apparently been addressed for the next update. But I do find it ironic that the ammo situation has gone from "not enough, half of you don't even have a weapon" to "WTF it's everywhere" :lol:

As for carrying stuff, it's odd, some servers the item freaks out and the entire game becomes a stop-motion parade, in others nothing happens at all. But I had similarly weird shit happen in HL2DM, so it beats me.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've found that walking backwards while holding an item or walking sideways seems to be the best way to stop the crazy movement. As far as weapons and ammo go I too find it funny that at first half the Humans didn't even have a weapon to now where maybe one or two guys just don't have a shotgun.

I never had a problem during the first release of the beta with not enough ammo as long as the ZM wasn't spamming Banshees. For the most part you could dodge Shamblers and Hulks, but if most of the zombies are Banshees then the game would be a quick one.

edit: One tip is to try not to kill Shamblers unless you have to. As long as those Shmablers are alive (undead?) the ZM can't spawn as many other zombies.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like it, but it those banshees are way too tough.

ben0207 on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know about the Banshees being too tough. So long as you are aware of your position and where they are you can easily run circles around them. They hesitate about a split second before they leap, so it's easy to dodge that. It's even better if you have tons of ammunition, as you can thin the herd while running past/away from them. Hell, I helped win a match by running out into that ditch on the docks map, bringing about twenty five of the damned things with me (The ZM was being lame and spamming them.). All in all I was able to hold out up until ten second was left, which is when I died because I turned around to try and run back inside the building even though I knew I couldn't make it.

Archonex on
  • Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I played a few matches just now. It was buggy, but pretty fun. It was fun to push boxes and tables in front of entrances. Hopefully the next versions are less buggy. This game got me thinking. How cool would it be if Blizzard ripped this mod off and made Zerg Master? One side would play as marines in an FPS, with Goliaths and tanks, and a few on the other side would be playing as the Zerg but they would be pretty much be playing StarCraft.

Dominic Dragon on
    edited April 2007
    Ok, this mod really deserves the PA treatment. Too many assholes in the pubs. Anyone up for a game in a little while?

We can even try the dreaded custom maps if we must...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, WTF, I installed this and the patch and it still says 1.0.1 in my Steam list.

Should I try them both again?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a reason why it wants me to download the Source SDK when I try to run it?

Frostozuna on
    edited April 2007
    Like a lot of other mods, it runs off the Source SDK, to my knowledge... just let it grab what it needs to, I guess :/

043: It should be 1.01, as that's the current version :P 1.00 first release, 01 the second...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I've found that the nature of the gameplay varies a ton depending on what map you're playing. Sometimes it's really nice to have nigh-unlimited ammo, which they do on some maps. Docks of the Dead is the only official one so far, but I really recommend checking out Clutter, Wasteland, and Leafy. Clutter and Wasteland in particular are really well polished and have some pretty awesome barricade making opportunities.

Also, turned it into a game on thread, I don't know if I should add anything else to the OP or not.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Yay! It practically was a Game On thread anyway... except I wasn't invited to the last game :(

I really don't understand why admins insist on hosting ZM servers with FF enabled. I mean... god. It's like the worst possible game for friendly fire to be active on. Throwing explosive barrels is encouraged, for fuck's sake.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2007
    What zombie flick have you watched that didn't include some accidental (or intentional) friendly fire deaths?

Captain K on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So is there a PA server up?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited April 2007
    What zombie flick have you watched that didn't include some accidental (or intentional) friendly fire deaths?

One which also didn't include the departed spirits of those poor victims floating around bitching about it constantly.

Seriously, I do not buy the "LOL IT MAKES IT MORE REALISTIC" argument. One of the staple zombies is a floating torso that vomits blood for crying out loud.

And I'm yet to see a zombie flick which degenerates into straight-out deathmatch between the survivors within thirty goddamn seconds.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Like a lot of other mods, it runs off the Source SDK, to my knowledge... just let it grab what it needs to, I guess :/

043: It should be 1.01, as that's the current version :P 1.00 first release, 01 the second...

Oh, fuck. I meant it still says 1.00.

God, I can't type today.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    Won't install? Weird. If you've still got your 1.00 installer, I'd suggest deleting your zombie_master folder and trying from scratch.

Make sure that you're actually extracting 1.01 into the right folder: i.e., extract it into SourceMods so all the content goes into zombie_master and you get the various prompts asking if you want to overwrite.

Apparently the next patch will give the Drifters a slight range increase, which should make them a lot more useful. I still find servers with faulty .cfg files though: Hulks that die after one pistol round and all that. Blargh...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    This may sound dumb, but this is what got me when I tried to update it with the patch: You have to restart steam.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did you try exiting steam and then opening it back up? I mean, it does say restart it. I just normally restart my computer after I 'install' anything, and everything normally works 99% of the time. On a different topic though, I've noticed on some servers drifters don't have their ranged attack...Is this just a server.cfg problem? Or do they have to aim for like 5 minutes?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited April 2007
    Drifter's currently have a stupidly short range due to a bug- so it's not just a screwed-up .cfg (although it might be bugged in a different way!): at the moment, it's practically a melee attack.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ah, alright. Does anyone have a server up for this yet? I mean like..a PA server or something? I think I saw a SomethingAwful server last night, so meh.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, not to my knowledge, no... there're bunch of public ones, but an awful lot have no admins. Which really isn't bright for a game that's so easily screwed up by griefers (especially when FF is involved).

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want to play this game badly, but not with a bunch of jackasses. Some of you should get a game going and then let me know to join. kthxbai.

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
    edited April 2007
    I want to play this game badly, but not with a bunch of jackasses. Some of you should get a game going and then let me know to join. kthxbai.

Redded for blood-dripping zombie truth.

Starting to see some talented ZMs though. Problem is that they utterly shred inexperienced survivor teams... but when you get a solid group with a competent ZM, it's damn awesome!

Shamblers - smash up barricades and generally get in the way, and then Hulks and Banshees clean up. But what I really love about the mod are the manipulates. I can totally see mappers doing wonders with those things...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2007
    I'm looking forward to 1.0.2, especially for the changes to docksofthedead.

Captain K on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm looking forward to 1.0.2, especially for the changes to docksofthedead.

Should be out tomorrow too.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!