Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Hunter] The Field Project

1910111214

Posts

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo, in his assigned position, stays near the rear. Isabelle is already primed and ready for action. He slowly scans the room, squinting his eyes in the dark, looking for any signs of movement as his friends advance into the room.


    Bo has Danger Sense in case of ambush.

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shotgun steadied, Jack took point with Hank, scanning the room for any sudden or unusual movement. When he passed by one of the strange soda-can sized containers, he picks one up to examine it.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The black container is featureless, except for the same Cheiron Group logo you saw elsewhere, and a serial number on it. The numbers on the cans in the pile are sequential. The bottom of each can is stamped with the word "Zortman".

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo glances over at the containers and Jack, "I suppose it is too much to ask for those to be beer, ain't it? Is Cherion a Monster Kennel/Brewery?"

    He keeps his voice low and quiet.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Wouldn't count on it, Bo."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Hmm. . .not sure what this is, but it might come in handy. . ."

    Jack pockets the canister and continues further into the room.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The emergency lighting on the factory floor blinks from red to white on a 4 second cycle. 4 seconds red, 4 seconds white. In between those, there's two seconds of darkness as the lights change over.

    Bo finds himself looking down one of the production lines.

    White.

    one, two.

    Red.

    one, two.

    White.

    one, two.

    Red.

    In the red light, Bo sees a man standing there, facing him. He's got long black hair, and fangs sticking out from his canine teeth. He's not wearing a shirt or shoes, and appears to be wearing the same kind of black cargo pants the security guys. He's steepling his fingers, his long black fingernails touching each other in front of his smiling face.

    one, two.

    White.

    The man is gone.

    one, two.

    Red.

  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Jesus, who's idea was it to make the lights flash during an emergency?", Adrian fowns, "Because creatures running loose and killing everyone clearly isn't a good enough indicator".

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Might've been their idea, not security's"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "That's not a terribly comforting thought."

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo's eyes widen and his trigger finger tightens for a second. He blinks as the figure vanishes, but keeps his eyes on where he was. He sweeps Isabelle around to bear and readies himself the best he can.

    "Um, guys. I think we ain't alone down here..." The slightest hint of fear manages to creep into his voice.


    Sorry bout the delay.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "What did you see, Bo? What?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "A guy. He had ... claws or sumthin'. Teeth too. Big ones."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Oh shit."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adrian clumsily pulls his pistol out and aims it at various flickering shadows, "I ... I dont see anything... did you see where he went?"

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo searches for targets across the room, "He uh... sort of disappeared..."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Okay, so who has a plan? Jack, Paul? Whatcha thinkin'?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esmer hauls the Broadsword up on her shoulder, and searches the room for any sign of Bo's monster-man. Her finger twitches against the trigger.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Esmer put that down and stand behind me, okay? Okay?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "But..." Esmer manages in protest, despite quickly moving behind Hank.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Remember what I told you, alright? You be careful with that."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As the red light comes back on, Hank and Esmer hear Adrian let out a quick and muffled scream, like the sound of someone trying to scream with their mouth tightly shut.

    You all turn to look at him, and you see the man Bo saw is standing directly behind Adrian...

    ....and he's got two upturned fingers stuck inside the back of Adrian's head.

    Adrian's arms and legs are tightened, every muscle straining, and he's trying to scream but his jaw won't unclench.

    The man... the vampire, he tightens his forearm and moves his wrist slightly. Adrian's arm swings wildly, and his finger pulls the trigger on his pistol twice. The shots don't hit anyone. It's not a movement of his own volition... it's more like a reflexive response.

    The vampire looks over at Esmer and grins "Wanna see me make him dance?"

    The red light goes out.

    one, two

    The white light comes back on, and the vampire is gone. Adrian lays quivering on the ground, blood and cerebral fluid rapidly leaking from two gaping holes in the back of his skull. His limbs shake violently for a second... and then he is still.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoiler:

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "FUCK!"


    Pony what do I do to try and get a bead on this thing and shoot it before it just picks everyone off.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Oh jesus. . ." Jack whispers, as Adrian drops.

    Scrambling to make sense of this horror, Jack's hand idly wanders up to the flashbang on his vest.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    "FUCK!"


    Pony what do I do to try and get a bead on this thing and shoot it before it just picks everyone off.

    Well, it seems to keep re-appearing/disappearing when the lights change over, in the intervening darkness.

    However, with a successful Intelligence + Composure check (bonus of +2 for anyone with the Eidetic Memory Merit) you can remember this detail from much earlier:
    Spoiler:

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Jesus Christ!"

    Bo takes a step back, towards the Security Checkpoint door, hoping to get a little more light near himself. His heart is pounding in his chest as he swings Isabelle around, looking for a chance to hit this thing. Clutching the well worn wooden barrel of his gun, he manages to slow his panic.


    Roll 3 successes!

    "This fucker moves through the shadows. We need light! More light!"

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hank pulls the night vision goggles down over his eyes, scanning dark areas for signs of this... vampire. God, it seemed so crazy to think that.

    (Pony what do you want me to roll)

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jack focuses, remember his time on nature watches, remembering how the deer and other wildlife moved, and when it didn't, hoping it might give him some insight into the way this creature moved. 3 Successes

    "Of course!" Jack exclaims, dropping his hand down to his flares, pops one, and holds it aloft.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Hank pulls the night vision goggles down over his eyes, scanning dark areas for signs of this... vampire. God, it seemed so crazy to think that.

    (Pony what do you want me to roll)

    The nightvision goggles are only useful when there's little to no light (ie, in-between light pulses).

    Roll Wits + Composure, Horseshoe.

    Edit: With Jack popping a flare, nightvision goggles are useless.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "GAH!"

    Hank ripped off the nightvision goggles, blinking to get the sudden flash out of his eyes... he wasn't going to catch anything like that.

    "Goddamnit, Jack, yell FLARE next time you use a FLARE!"


    int+composure+riskwillpower (9d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1)

    ah shit

    wait that was a 9 i forgot abourt 9 agains on risk willpower

    9 again on last roll 'cuz risk (1d10=3) DAMN

    Hank is down to one willpower unless he regained some by raging on that werewolf last scene (Wrath Vice)

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was certainly a display of some hardcore Wrath, so Hank can have another Willpower.

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you succeed on your roll while risking willpower you get to keep the point you spent and regain another point. Hunters are crafty like that.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    If you succeed on your roll while risking willpower you get to keep the point you spent and regain another point. Hunters are crafty like that.

    crap i need to review my rolls... i think i risked and succeeded once

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esmer screams and slams her back against Hank's, clutching the Broadsword to her chest protectively. Her head is spinning, her heart is racing, and she is being taunted by a fucking vampire.

    Her finger finds the broadsword trigger again.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    alright so...

    vampire kills adrian, bo thinks of something, jack lights a flare, hank fails to spot the thing

    that leaves:

    esmer (but maybe her action is just to recoil)

    and paul (but maybe Zen V isn't available... i dunno)

    guys maybe you might do something before another one of us is just a pile of meat

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The flare brightens the entire room in white a ruddy light that overtakes any lighting from the facility. There's no period of intervening darkness, but there is still long (and sharply contrasted) shadows cast by the large industrial machinery.

    Out of one of these shadows, the vampire dives at Bo. To everyone else, the vampire's leap is swift, catlike.

    But for Bo... everything is moving like it's in slow motion. The reactions of the others, the vampire slowly drifting through the air towards him. It's like time itself has slowed around Bo... but Bo himself ain't slowed at all.


    Bo loses 2 Willpower points, but can take two actions and move his normal speed before the vampire actually reaches him.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    put his ass down, bo!

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo's body is working on pure instinct. Adrenaline screams through his veins, bringing a promise of pain to come. The wooden stock of Isabelle seems to thrum in his grasp. He brings her to bear at the charging vampire who, to his view, is floating casually through the air at him.

    Blinking once, he takes aim and fires. Isabelle cracks like thunder and the incendiary round scorches its way through the air.


    I don't know what bonuses the incendiary rounds give.

    First Shot:
    Dex(3) + Firearms(3) + Specialization(1) + Hunting Rifle (4) + Willpower Risk (3) (14d10.hitsopen(8,9)=4)

    Exceptional Success! (Risking willpower lowers the number to 3 to obtain)

    With images of Adrian still fresh in his mind he fires another shot, wanting to unleash all of his rage upon this monster. His mother would be proud.

    Second Shot:
    Dex(3) + Firearms(3) + Specialization(1) + Hunting Rifle (4 also allows for 9 again) (11d10.hitsopen(8,9)=4)

    A slightly more rational part of his brain realizes that even if he kills the vampire, it is still leaping directly at him. He darts to the side, out of its path and closer to the light of the flare.

    As time begins to flow normally again, Bo feels that he should say something. Something badass, like an action hero.

    "... eat a dick, vampire."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yesyesyes!

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.