Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Animals are people too!

189101214

Posts

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    out of idle curiosity bname

    if you personally had the capabilities to instantly erase everything "evil" in the world instantly, would you?

    by your own working definition of evil

  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    C'mon man

    you hate privacy so much

    you give it up first.

    Let's go.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • edited May 2010
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    Oh wait, backwards might be a chubby chaser and I might have inadvertently turned him on!

    But thanks to benefits of privacy, I don't have to see his erection.

    2 points for privacy.

    dumbledore3.jpg

    This is a quality post that was overlooked IMO

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no jordyn you don't get it

    only Bname gets to have privacy

    that's how these sort of views work!

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    and that young gay boy


    was me

    UmPiq.png
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you heard it here first

    BName wants 1984 to become fact

    obviously he is not a complete loon

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the real story here is how little faith he has in people vs. how much he has faith in a camera and gps system

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    C'mon man

    you hate privacy so much

    you give it up first.

    Let's go.

    Hey so apparently you haven't read anything I've posted or this is just a retarded straw-man

    Because basically I've been positing nothing but advances in the mutual, universal destruction of privacy

    Yes if you take away one person's privacy but not another's, you screw the first person

    However if you remove privacy in general...

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that's right, no one can ever do anything wrong if everyone always knows what you're doing

    what a fantastic idea

  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    IF YOU HATE PRIVACY

    SEND ME YOUR BANK INFO

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the stupidest opinion ever award goes to Bname

    yeyyy

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • edited May 2010
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    you heard it here first

    BName wants 1984 to become fact

    obviously he is not a complete loon

    Yeah totally. I definitely want a totalitarian regime to have complete power over its citizenry, and definitely never tried to outline how privacy is a stupid, pathetic, illusory defense against totalitarianism, and how it's impossible to look at history and draw a causal link between less privacy and totalitarianism (though you can draw a link in the other direction)

    Thank you for accurately summing up my argument.

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

    yeah I think that's a pretty good option too

    everyone else in this thread thinks it's best just to keep gay people in the closet where they won't bother anyone

    much more civilized

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you're welcome

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

    yeah I think that's a pretty good option too

    everyone else in this thread thinks it's best just to keep gay people in the closet where they won't bother anyone

    much more civilized

    I think they should have the option to do what they want

  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This stupid world you're envisioning is completely impossible. Oh we'll just always KNOW when people are doing bad things because of cameras and shit. What if the person watching the camera that's supposed to be monitoring those bigots is a bigot too? So instead of going down and breaking up a gay-bashing, they just sit back and let it happen? People do awful things on tape all the fucking time. ALL THE FUCKING TIME. People will put masks over their faces. Are you going to outlaw the sale of masks? No more skiing or Halloween. What the fuck is wrong with you.

    You are the silliest of geese.

    And I only say that because I have to.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    you stop at the bakery to get a bagel for breakfast, but they are out of plain bagels so you are forced to choose between a garlic chive bagel and a cinnamon raisin bagel

    nightmare scenario

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    that's right, no one can ever do anything wrong if everyone always knows what you're doing

    what a fantastic idea

    uh, kind of, yeah

    people commit crimes only if they think they can get away with them

    that's why when there are more police on the national mall in DC (the only place in the country that actually puts more police out on the streets as a result of the terrorist rainbow code), crime rates drop substantially in the entire surrounding area.

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

    yeah I think that's a pretty good option too

    everyone else in this thread thinks it's best just to keep gay people in the closet where they won't bother anyone

    much more civilized

    A dozen people saying that people should be able to stay in the closet if they want to isn't anything like that

    The hell are you doing

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    thats funny

    cause at my current job

    there are uniformed loss prevention dudes at all entrances

    100 real cameras, 100 fake ones, and 2 undercover officers

    and people still all the time

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    all those found committing postcrime will be immediately banned for the good of the Party

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • UbikUbik i am a god in a french-ass restaurantRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    Goddamnit

    A gay boy is never assaulted in school because assault it is illegal
    Not because people know he is gay

    Why do you think being watched stops people from doing illegal things?
    All being watched does is make it easy to convict people AFTER they do illegal things

    Cameras don't prevent convenience store hold-ups

    CleezusSig_zpsfa821add.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that's right, no one can ever do anything wrong if everyone always knows what you're doing

    what a fantastic idea

    uh, kind of, yeah

    people commit crimes only if they think they can get away with them

    that's why when there are more police on the national mall in DC (the only place in the country that actually puts more police out on the streets as a result of the terrorist rainbow code), crime rates drop substantially in the entire surrounding area.

    So now that we've stopped all crime ever, let's keep making people better in other ways too!

    We'll make sure they only read the best books and watch the best news and think the right thoughts because we know what's best for everybody.

  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    This stupid world you're envisioning is completely impossible. Oh we'll just always KNOW when people are doing bad things because of cameras and shit. What if the person watching the camera that's supposed to be monitoring those bigots is a bigot too? So instead of going down and breaking up a gay-bashing, they just sit back and let it happen? People do awful things on tape all the fucking time. ALL THE FUCKING TIME. People will put masks over their faces. Are you going to outlaw the sale of masks? No more skiing or Halloween. What the fuck is wrong with you.

    You are the silliest of geese.

    And I only say that because I have to.

    You're the one trying to posit the negative consequences of a hypothetical world with no privacy. I'm just saying, in that same thought experiment, you also wouldn't be able to get away with anything.

    If we're talking about the real world, you'll note I admit several times in the thread that a total elimination of privacy is probably neither feasible or desirable.

    I said that, ON THE WHOLE, privacy does more harm than good

    If I could, at a stroke, get rid of all privacy, I'd probably do it, sure

    But my arguments with regard to real policy are obviously not "get rid of all privacy" because how would you even go about it

    I'm actually arguing a nuanced position. Everyone is trying to engage with the debate in terms of a hypothetical world with no privacy, and I'm merely filling in the parts they're leaving out

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CD that's a pretty silly leap to make

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    that's right, no one can ever do anything wrong if everyone always knows what you're doing

    what a fantastic idea

    uh, kind of, yeah

    people commit crimes only if they think they can get away with them

    that's why when there are more police on the national mall in DC (the only place in the country that actually puts more police out on the streets as a result of the terrorist rainbow code), crime rates drop substantially in the entire surrounding area.

    So now that we've stopped all crime ever, let's keep making people better in other ways too!

    We'll make sure they only read the best books and watch the best news and think the right thoughts because we know what's best for everybody.

    So, you're against reducing the crime rate because it's totalitarian?

    Hey, stop the presses, guys! Let's all head for Somalia -- the freest place on earth! We know because they have lots of crime!

  • UbikUbik i am a god in a french-ass restaurantRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

    yeah I think that's a pretty good option too

    everyone else in this thread thinks it's best just to keep gay people in the closet where they won't bother anyone

    much more civilized

    You don't get to decide

    Society can't force people to stay closeted

    Society ALSO CAN'T FORCE people to come out

    People don't have to run their lives based on your notion of "civilized"

    CleezusSig_zpsfa821add.png
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    Goddamnit

    A gay boy is never assaulted in school because assault it is illegal
    Not because people know he is gay

    Why do you think being watched stops people from doing illegal things?
    All being watched does is make it easy to convict people AFTER they do illegal things

    Cameras don't prevent convenience store hold-ups

    Only because they're easily circumvented.

    As I've said, we have plenty of examples throughout history of increased government monitoring of the populace results in less criminality.

    You just have to make sure that the method you choose actually works. Again, the best evidenced method we have is very simple: hire more cops, put them on the street. This reduces crime, because people know they can't get away with it.

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm saying that totalitarianism is tyranny, and there is no such thing as a benevolent tyrant.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh man
    someone get thanatos in here

    it'll be great

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i love that we're having this same thing from yesterday :/

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • UbikUbik i am a god in a french-ass restaurantRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    Goddamnit

    A gay boy is never assaulted in school because assault it is illegal
    Not because people know he is gay

    Why do you think being watched stops people from doing illegal things?
    All being watched does is make it easy to convict people AFTER they do illegal things

    Cameras don't prevent convenience store hold-ups

    Only because they're easily circumvented.

    As I've said, we have plenty of examples throughout history of increased government monitoring of the populace results in less criminality.

    You just have to make sure that the method you choose actually works. Again, the best evidenced method we have is very simple: hire more cops, put them on the street. This reduces crime, because people know they can't get away with it.

    Guess what? Hiring more cops does not reduce privacy at all

    Privacy on the whole brings more good than harm

    The good of people being free to order their personal lives how they see fit, in the way that is best for them, greatly outweighs any harm of hiding bad things

    CleezusSig_zpsfa821add.png
  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You seem to think that people only use privacy to get away with things and that's dumb.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    i love that we're having this same thing from yesterday :/

    I think I'm gonna back to posting silly pictures. This guy is boring.

    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    Goddamnit

    A gay boy is never assaulted in school because assault it is illegal
    Not because people know he is gay

    Why do you think being watched stops people from doing illegal things?
    All being watched does is make it easy to convict people AFTER they do illegal things

    Cameras don't prevent convenience store hold-ups

    Only because they're easily circumvented.

    As I've said, we have plenty of examples throughout history of increased government monitoring of the populace results in less criminality.

    You just have to make sure that the method you choose actually works. Again, the best evidenced method we have is very simple: hire more cops, put them on the street. This reduces crime, because people know they can't get away with it.

    oh hey you know how Britain has CCTV

    you know, thousands of cameras watching everything at once?

    well it doesn't work

    http://www.1in12.com/publications/cctv/ditton.htm

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    A young gay boy is never assaulted at his school because of the omnipresent monitoring technology, and he subsequently graduates Valedictorian and attends a prestigious university instead of having his legs broken by bigoted douchebags.

    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO

    you could just teach the douchebags that beating gay people up is bad

    yeah I think that's a pretty good option too

    everyone else in this thread thinks it's best just to keep gay people in the closet where they won't bother anyone

    much more civilized

    You don't get to decide

    Society can't force people to stay closeted

    Society ALSO CAN'T FORCE people to come out

    People don't have to run their lives based on your notion of "civilized"

    Right, this is the classical Western notion that individual freedom overrules all other forms of well-being. The problem is that we make concessions to this all the time, and then try to backtrack and make up post-hoc excuses for why it's not really an infringement of freedom, but that's disingenuous.

    In the real world, freedom is one of a whole array of forms of well-being. And, frankly, we're influenced and incentivized by innumerable variables in the world. Few if any decisions are truly voluntary. All our decisions are subject to pressure and influence. I don't like to work weekends, but I have to for my job. I can't afford to lose my job because then I'd be broke. It's not exactly voluntary, but it's not totally forced either. Why is it so hard for people to interpret the world on a gradient instead of as binary?

    Nothing is completely voluntary, and nothing is completely involuntary. It's all about where you are on the spectrum.

    Why people get so irrationally freaked out when government is the entity applying pressure (even slight pressure!) is baffling to me.

  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited May 2010
    this is the problem with arguments on the internet

    i disagree with backwards name about this, but if someone had brought up the topic ("hey i think privacy is an inherently harmful concept, what do you think about that") in an actual real life conversation i would have been interested in talking it out and seeing where it went

    on the internet, most of the responses to any position that it's easy to tell will be unpopular are going to be from people who are sure they can crucify the poster for having that opinion. there's very little good-faith argument when people are reasonably sure that a) they're right and b) most people already agree with them, even though in actual conversation it can be interesting/illuminating to debate ideas even when you're pretty sure your opinion isn't going to change as a result. on the internet, though, the quickest responses will always be from people eager to tell the poster how dumb they are, and if the poster in question doesn't give up right there they'll probably end up making progressively dumber posts about it anyway.

    it's reaallly hard to get people on the internet to debate in good faith an idea they're sure they don't agree with or even think is dumb, but in an actual conversation that seems to be less of an issue. i'm not sure where exactly the difference lies, but it makes discussions like this one kind of painful to watch.

Sign In or Register to comment.