Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Water crisis in Boston area, NOWHERE IS SAFE

2»

Posts

  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BigBear wrote: »
    The panicked rush already happened yesterday.

    I was at BJ's here in Stoneham around 6 PM yesterday, and there was a huge rush for bottled water. The lines at the front end went halfway across the store, and after about an hour there wasn't anything left.

    No idea what the situation is over there today, but I imagine it's not much better.

    Had a guy at the restaurant say the same thing yesterday. Got like, 8 glasses of water (we're one of the towns unaffected, just dodged the danger zone I guess). Before this I've never seen him drink anything but gin and tonics.

    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    heh

    BJ's

    Saw a BJ's sign once with a

    BUY ONE GET ONE
    FREE

    banner underneath it. I chuckled all the way home.

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hilarious if you see the small text or not.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    heh

    BJ's

    Saw a BJ's sign once with a

    BUY ONE GET ONE
    FREE

    banner underneath it. I chuckled all the way home.

    There is a huge light-up BJ's sign that is actually visible from my house. My friends and me used to joke about it all the time back in high school.

    As for the milk and bread run thing somebody mentioned, I think people started getting all panicky like that whenever it snows in the Boston area just after the Blizzard of 78. I remember my uncle telling me once that a lot of grocery stores in the area ran out of both bread and milk during the storm, making things a little more miserable for a lot of people.

  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember one time it snowed like an inch when I was a kid in South Carolina. Fucking mass panic for food and water and businesses/schools were shut down.

  • ArgiveArgive Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BigBear wrote: »
    heh

    BJ's

    Saw a BJ's sign once with a

    BUY ONE GET ONE
    FREE

    banner underneath it. I chuckled all the way home.

    There is a huge light-up BJ's sign that is actually visible from my house. My friends and me used to joke about it all the time back in high school.

    As for the milk and bread run thing somebody mentioned, I think people started getting all panicky like that whenever it snows in the Boston area just after the Blizzard of 78. I remember my uncle telling me once that a lot of grocery stores in the area ran out of both bread and milk during the storm, making things a little more miserable for a lot of people.

    This actually happened near me when Dick's Sporting Goods moved in next to a food store

    giant-dicks.jpg

  • ArgiveArgive Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was in RI for a cousin's surprise birthday party, so we didn't find out about this 'till the drive home, when we saw the alert on a bunch of emergency road signs. Didn't get to the stores in time for any bottled water, so we just boiled some and stocked it. Hopefully they can get this all sorted out eventually.

    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dislexic wrote: »
    My county's water is pretty terrible. Our chemistry teacher took a de-ionized beaker, put it under the tap in our chem lab, held it up to the light, and you could see a veritable CLOUD of particulates with the naked eye

    1) why would a beaker be ionized in the first place
    2) you do know sometimes when you pour water from a tap you get a bunch of little bubbles that take a while to dissipate, right? The water here is fine but in our chem lab the shape of the faucet and/or the pressure that the water comes out makes it really bad for this and the other day I filled up a beaker and it looked terrible then I left it for 5 minutes and it was clear after that.

  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    BigBear wrote: »
    heh

    BJ's

    Saw a BJ's sign once with a

    BUY ONE GET ONE
    FREE

    banner underneath it. I chuckled all the way home.

    There is a huge light-up BJ's sign that is actually visible from my house. My friends and me used to joke about it all the time back in high school.

    As for the milk and bread run thing somebody mentioned, I think people started getting all panicky like that whenever it snows in the Boston area just after the Blizzard of 78. I remember my uncle telling me once that a lot of grocery stores in the area ran out of both bread and milk during the storm, making things a little more miserable for a lot of people.

    This actually happened near me when Dick's Sporting Goods moved in next to a food store

    giant-dicks.jpg

    this is incredible

    xmassig2.gif
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well it looks like we'll have drinkable water in about 24 hours. They sealed the pipe this morning and just need to flush the system. Everyone calm down and remember that Cambridge has untainted water and west of Weston as well.
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    Technically Allston. Less than a block from Brighton and about 3 from Brookline. Gotta love this area.

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    When we first started dating he used to park on Corey Road to visit me at my place on Vinal. Now We're down on Kelton.

  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God, why don't you just draw the lurker a map already! Jeez!
    Spoiler:

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've already told other lurkers exactly where we live and none have stalked us yet, or they're just really good at it and I haven't noticed.

  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lurkers, bring us cupcakes. Pay tribute to your betters!

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Am I a lurker? VisionofClarity gave me the heads up and I just moved to the Allston area (Allston St. and Comm Ave) a few months ago.

    I didn't know all you guys were in this area.

    They cracked open all the hydrants up and down Comm to flush the system or whatever so I think the crisis is over?

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi oh... oh my!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Am I a lurker? VisionofClarity gave me the heads up and I just moved to the Allston area (Allston St. and Comm Ave) a few months ago.

    I didn't know all you guys were in this area.

    They cracked open all the hydrants up and down Comm to flush the system or whatever so I think the crisis is over?

    Drink some tap water, then report your findings here in a few hours.

    Edit: Nevermind, according to the FAQ symptoms won't show up for 7 days.

    kvhn.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Am I a lurker? VisionofClarity gave me the heads up and I just moved to the Allston area (Allston St. and Comm Ave) a few months ago.

    I didn't know all you guys were in this area.

    They cracked open all the hydrants up and down Comm to flush the system or whatever so I think the crisis is over?

    Drink some tap water, then report your findings here in a few hours.

    Edit: Nevermind, according to the FAQ symptoms won't show up for 7 days.

    For what it's worth, based on the mass.gov website and the scrawl on the local news, I still haven't seen Allston or Brighton explicitly listed as affected. My classmates haven't seen us listed either, so I'm not sure if Allston/Brighton is just on a separate reservoir or what.

    Also, I was in the library all day studying and didn't hear about this until the second day or so - so there is a very good chance I will become violently ill in 4-5 days. I'll keep you guys posted.

    EDIT: Some dude on the news just said that to declare the water clean there needs ot be two 'negative' water tests 48 hours apart and the first test was just taken on Monday. So if we get a negative result on Wednesday as well, all is well.

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gov. Patrick lifts boil order, ending Boston-area water crisis

    Thanks to JoeUser for the link.

    To think, just yesterday I got to witness a huge water-line outside the Shaw's in Newtonville. Long lines of soccer-moms in SUVs and minivans with their kids in the back seat waiting for a 24-pack of bottled water while hysterically shrieking about how they might not have enough.

    Fucking people.

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

    For what it's worth, based on the mass.gov website and the scrawl on the local news, I still haven't seen Allston or Brighton explicitly listed as affected. My classmates haven't seen us listed either, so I'm not sure if Allston/Brighton is just on a separate reservoir or what.

    Also, I was in the library all day studying and didn't hear about this until the second day or so - so there is a very good chance I will become violently ill in 4-5 days. I'll keep you guys posted.

    EDIT: Some dude on the news just said that to declare the water clean there needs ot be two 'negative' water tests 48 hours apart and the first test was just taken on Monday. So if we get a negative result on Wednesday as well, all is well.

    Allston and Brighton are neighborhoods of Boston. We were affected. It is important you know this for the future.

    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

    For what it's worth, based on the mass.gov website and the scrawl on the local news, I still haven't seen Allston or Brighton explicitly listed as affected. My classmates haven't seen us listed either, so I'm not sure if Allston/Brighton is just on a separate reservoir or what.

    Also, I was in the library all day studying and didn't hear about this until the second day or so - so there is a very good chance I will become violently ill in 4-5 days. I'll keep you guys posted.

    EDIT: Some dude on the news just said that to declare the water clean there needs ot be two 'negative' water tests 48 hours apart and the first test was just taken on Monday. So if we get a negative result on Wednesday as well, all is well.

    Allston and Brighton are neighborhoods of Boston. We were affected. It is important you know this for the future.

    Are Allston and Brighton considered to fall within the city limits of Boston proper then? I didn't understand why some stuff that I get mailed to me shows up as addressed to Boston, MA and some stuff is addressed to Allston, MA. I was never entirely sure if Allston was considered a suburb or something and that people would laugh if I claimed to live in Boston.

    As far as the water thing, I didn't really feel much of a pinch - just picked up a few cases of water from CVS.

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yea, we're part of Boston. As long as the zip code on the mail has your right one if it says Boston instead of Allston/Brighton it will get to you.

    What you should do is sign up for the weather advisory snow alerts. They will let you know about when we get a snow emergency and they also let us know about the water emergency.

  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yea, we're part of Boston. As long as the zip code on the mail has your right one if it says Boston instead of Allston/Brighton it will get to you.

    What you should do is sign up for the weather advisory snow alerts. They will let you know about when we get a snow emergency and they also let us know about the water emergency.

    How do I do that?

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Oh yea, we're part of Boston. As long as the zip code on the mail has your right one if it says Boston instead of Allston/Brighton it will get to you.

    What you should do is sign up for the weather advisory snow alerts. They will let you know about when we get a snow emergency and they also let us know about the water emergency.

    How do I do that?

    http://www.cityofboston.gov/alerts/

    You can get one for street cleaning as well if you park on street.

  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    heh, I live over on Carol Ave ... lots of Washington x Comm Ave PA folks apparently ...

    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    heh, I live over on Carol Ave ... lots of Washington x Comm Ave PA folks apparently ...

    Yeah we should do a PA Allston Brighton meet up at Harry's Bar or Joshua Tree (2 dollars for the champagne of beer!)

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    heh, I live over on Carol Ave ... lots of Washington x Comm Ave PA folks apparently ...

    Yeah we should do a PA Allston Brighton meet up at Harry's Bar or Joshua Tree (2 dollars for the champagne of beer!)

    I tried to have a pre-PAX meetup at Green Briar, they do a video game night on Wednesdays that consists of drinking lots of cheap beer and playing SNES/N64 games. It failed, but I still went and had quite a bit of fun ...

    Harrys is starting to attract an odd crowd of people, which is making me sad. It's one of my favorite bars in the area and it's right around the corner from my apt

    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Argive wrote: »
    Just got back from Whole Foods in Brighton. They had water, but people were pulling it off the shelves as fast as they could stock it. I expect they'll run out pretty soon. I contented myself with a gallon. I just boiled and stocked a gallon this morning anyway.

    Hey, you were just a few blocks away from me! I walk there occasionally.

    Haha. I don't normally go to Whole Paycheck, but it was the most convenient for me to check on water supplies. I'm over on Corey Rd. You live in Brighton/Brookline?

    heh, I live over on Carol Ave ... lots of Washington x Comm Ave PA folks apparently ...

    Yeah we should do a PA Allston Brighton meet up at Harry's Bar or Joshua Tree (2 dollars for the champagne of beer!)

    I tried to have a pre-PAX meetup at Green Briar, they do a video game night on Wednesdays that consists of drinking lots of cheap beer and playing SNES/N64 games. It failed, but I still went and had quite a bit of fun ...

    Harrys is starting to attract an odd crowd of people, which is making me sad. It's one of my favorite bars in the area and it's right around the corner from my apt

    Where is Green Briar at? I finish my finals on Wednesday and would be down for video gaming and heavy drinking.

    I am in the business of saving lives.

    camo_sig2.png
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Where is Green Briar at? I finish my finals on Wednesday and would be down for video gaming and heavy drinking.

    Brighton Center, it's more or less where Washington and Cambridge meet, over by St E's.

    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh boston, is there anything you won't unnecessarily panic about

    xmassig2.gif
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's better is they told us to run all taps for 15-30 minutes so we also wasted a ton of water.

  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eh, that sucks.

    But if had went the other way people would be out for blood and firstborn.

    iq16sKi.png
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.