As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm playing a solo sorcerer through BG1 (tutu) and it occurred to me I've never actually done this before. Anyone have any good tips on spell selection, good early quests for easy xp and maybe some gameplay tips?

S. on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    S. wrote: »
    I'm playing a solo sorcerer through BG1 (tutu) and it occurred to me I've never actually done this before. Anyone have any good tips on spell selection, good early quests for easy xp and maybe some gameplay tips?

The number one hint is DON'T EVEN TRY.
    You will die hundreds of times at the first wolf fight.

Solo Sorc is probably viable on BG2, but it's completely insane on 1.

You have 4 HP, terrible AC, one or two very weak spells and can't hit fuckall with that puny staff or sling. Even if you get unearthly lucky enough to not get gibbed on the wolf's first attack, you will most definitely not kill it with your next attack, even if you hit, and then its second attack will definitely kill you.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I bought the 4 in 1 box and went through the install Drez listed, besides a few graphical glitches everything seems to be running well. However, is there something I need to do as a caster at the beginning of BG1? I rolled a sorcerer, stacked Wisdom, but don't seem to have access to any spells. Do I need to sleep or something first? 4 HP mage with no spells is awesome against the first assassins they send at you, let me tell you.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    S. wrote: »

Blindness is your friend. It's the only way you're going to survive against anything. I haven't played BG1 in forever, so I can't really give specific quest advice, but look for solo mobs to kill and don't fight groups of anything. Blindness+darts or a sling will make that work. You can even kill the wizard on the first floor of the Inn in Candlekeep, though I can't remember if this makes everyone in Candlekeep turn on you or not. If you can make it to level two, you're set.

Vi Monks on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I bought the 4 in 1 box and went through the install Drez listed, besides a few graphical glitches everything seems to be running well. However, is there something I need to do as a caster at the beginning of BG1? I rolled a sorcerer, stacked Wisdom, but don't seem to have access to any spells. Do I need to sleep or something first? 4 HP mage with no spells is awesome against the first assassins they send at you, let me tell you.

Unless it's been modded, sorcerers should use charisma as their primary stat. Anyone who's actually installed everything want to chime in?

Orca on
  • KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My Berserker with Grand Mastery in Two-Handed Swords is so good.

I just point her at things and she destroys them.

Fresh out of the first dungeon and with a few buffs (and a backstab on the wizard to take him out of the fight), she took down Mengar Pebblecrusher and his boys pretty much single-handedly.

Kitsurubami on
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Sorcerors in BG should use int, since they are just a mage variant

Geddoe on
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Baldurs gate 2 is the best video game ever made.

CanisAquilus on
    edited May 2010
    Geddoe wrote: »

And so if I imported him from BG1 to BG2 he'd be terribad because he was int and not wis? Ouch.

Guess I'll roll something else.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Installing the various fix packs and patches as I figure out what my main will be.

I'll be taking along an NPC Berserker, though she won't be the party leader, as I prefer soemone with some CHR and INT to lead my band of merry killers. There's a mod that lets you choose a Thief kit for Imoen, so I'll probably maker her an Assassin and keep her along, even with her horrendously annoying voice in BG1.

I was thinking of a Blackguard, who's sort of an anti-paladin, but then I'd have two fighter dudes and I'm not sure if that'll stay engaging.

I tried a Blade a few months back, but he was bloody useless low levels. He'd get his throat torn out by wolves and was an arrow magnet unless he stayed back and used a short bow all the time.

I'll have Edwin to do all my arcane magic stuff, and Viconia to do cleric stuff.

Has anyone tried using a Skald, before? It means that he'd mostly be standing around playing the mandolin or whatever, but if the bonuses are good enough, I might consider it.

Kitsurubami on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Geddoe wrote: »

They don't use INT and I don't think they even use CHA. WIS is pretty much the only important spell casting stat for a sorcerer and that's only for limited wish/wish.

As for why you start with no spells in the original Baldur's Gate, sorcerers aren't meant to be playable at that low levels so maybe the spell progression doesn't start at that low a level either, but I'm guessing that isn't the case and you're doing something wrong.

Zell on
    edited May 2010
    This mod is pretty nifty,

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44661-big-world-project-bwp-v90/

It's called the Big World Project. It essentially turns your BG1, TotSC, SoA and ToB games into one massive game, all using the BG2 engine. In that respect, it's just like Baldur's Gate Trilogy and Tutu.

However, it also allows you to download a huge selection of mods without having to search for all the necessary links and info, straight from the installer! Plus, it's as current as you can get - the newest version came out at the end of March, so it's fully supported and being updated as we speak.

Very nice, and takes a lot of the hassle out of modding these games.

Kitsurubami on
  • DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I'm debating on whether I want to carry over my on-going save from my laptop to my fresh install on my desktop, or start over with a fresh character trying out a new class combination.

How does a Single Weapon Kensei usually stack up to other character builds?

DarkDragoon on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I'm debating on whether I want to carry over my on-going save from my laptop to my fresh install on my desktop, or start over with a fresh character trying out a new class combination.

From a power-gaming perspective, there is very little reason to go pure fighter (or fighter kit). You gain much of the benefit from being a fighter at a relatively low level. Also, if you're going to take any fighter kit to a high level, I would suggest something other than Kensai. Both the Berserker and the Wizard Slayer are much more well-rounded. Though again, a multi or dual class fighter would be ideal, leaning towards multi-class if you have ToB. And I'll say this again: Wizard Slayer dual to Thief at 15 is the strongest non-sorcerer class in the game, period.

Vi Monks on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Does that count?

PolloDiablo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

In the same way as playing Brotherhood of Steel counts as playing a Fallout game.

Couscous on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Pretty well if you're using Crom Faer, actually. Mine killed Demogorgon in a round or two.

Xagarath on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Kensai/Mage dual-classes are horrifyingly powerful as well.

Dunxco on
    edited May 2010
    Gotta love level 1 combat in Baldur's Gate

~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ CRITICAL EXPLODE

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gotta love level 1 combat in Baldur's Gate

~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ MISS
    ~swing~ CRITICAL EXPLODE

When that happens, I can only assume that you will only hit the target on a crit. It's pretty annoying.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Unless it's been modded, sorcerers should use charisma as their primary stat. Anyone who's actually installed everything want to chime in?

Sorcerers do indeed base their spellcasting on charisma. Its one of the reasons they work so well as the player character.

EDIT: Actually I'm mistaken, they were supposed to, all the documentation says they do, but it wasn't implemented. You can afford to go high char/wis though as int doesn't matter with their spellcasting.

Raynaga on
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Actually I'm mistaken, they were supposed to, all the documentation says they do
    Not really, the manual doesn't say anything at all, and quote from the game's description "A sorcerer's prime requisite is INTELLIGENCE".

Zell on
    edited May 2010
    I was referring to how they work under the actual D&D ruleset - and like many things (the grandmastery issue for example) it didn't get implemented correctly. Even the intelligence idea isn't implemented.

Raynaga on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As I mentioned before sorcerers don't need a single point of int since all it helps is learning spells from scrolls.

how to make big numbers: take a mage/thief and shape change to an iron golem. backstab someone with your 4-40 damage first.

Jars on
    edited May 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I was referring to how they work under the actual D&D ruleset - and like many things (the grandmastery issue for example) it didn't get implemented correctly. Even the intelligence idea isn't implemented.
    Talking about how the ruleset is supposed to work has proven to be confusing in earlier threads and it's best to not refer to it at all.
    As I mentioned before sorcerers don't need a single point of int since all it helps is learning spells from scrolls.
    9 INT is required for reading scrolls, so while you can go for the minimum you're allowed to at the start, dropping below that might be a bad idea.

Zell on
    edited May 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Talking about how the ruleset is supposed to work has proven to be confusing in earlier threads and it's best to not refer to it at all.

Right, someone asked if sorcerers used charisma for spellcasting and I replied that they're supposed to, but don't.

That you found this confusing doesn't matter all that much to me, sorry.

Raynaga on
  • TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yes, you need to sleep. Strange quirk of sorcerers I only discovered this weekend: level-up effectively doesn't happen until after the first time you sleep after levelling, ie. your new spells don't show up at all and the number of available casts stays at the pre-level-up number. The game engine counts going from 0 to 1 as a level-up, so a Sorcerer starts the game with no spells at all. Hit the inn before going to play with the assassins.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
    edited May 2010
    Guess I will keep that in mind if I do another play through. I rolled a Paladin (the kit with a bunch of bonuses and practically no negatives) and have been enjoying that.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guess I will keep that in mind if I do another play through. I rolled a Paladin (the kit with a bunch of bonuses and practically no negatives) and have been enjoying that.

This is the first time I've used a sorcerer and I'm really enjoying it. You don't get the same variety of spells as a standard mage but you get to cast a lot more of what you do have, which makes level 2 or 3 onwards quite a bit easier (level 1 is all about dying and restarting a lot with any non-fighter type character). Just remember, for most of BG1 Sleep is your best, and often only, friend. It almost grants you enough time for your mindless big stick flailing to hit something.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

In the same way as playing Brotherhood of Steel counts as playing a Fallout game.

Let's not get crazy here. Dark Alliance was at least a good game in its own right. That other game wasn't fit for print.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I decided to skip BG1 (again) and just start with BG2. My 4 man custom party consists of Kensai/Thief, Cleric/Ranger, Sorceror and Monk. All classes/combinations I've never used before.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    So I decided to skip BG1 (again) and just start with BG2. My 4 man custom party consists of Kensai/Thief, Cleric/Ranger, Sorceror and Monk. All classes/combinations I've never used before.

But... The Golden Pantaloons. :(

Dunxco on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I tried to get into BG2 back in high school and just couldn't do it. It sounded so awesome, with everything I like in a game - exploration, character customization, lots of story and well-developed characters.

But the game itself made no sense to me. I didn't even know what D&D was at the time, and the system seemed so arcane and inacessible. I'd make a character that sounded cool ("Dude, you can make a werewolf!"), get my ass kicked, and then have to start over. Then I'd try something really straightforward, like a fighter with high strength and endurance, and still get mopped up whenever I went somewhere new. The magic system also seemed really weird for someone who was used to games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger which are much simpler and straightforward. I was also changing disks constantly, which was SOP for PC games in the late 90s but still a bit irritating.

It was frustrating for me, because I knew there was a good game underneath there if I could just figure out what the hell I was doing, but it just never clicked.

Duffel on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always make a werewolf character. I love being a werewolf, and then a greater werewolf, just so badass...

Cheeseliker on
    edited May 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »

But... The Golden Pantaloons. :(

And the stat tomes, don't forget them.

My Duelist has 22 CHR right now with the cloak from the inn in Beregost.

Kitsurubami on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Something that always bothered me was that I always had to cheese my way through the final fight of BG1. I honestly couldn't beat him any other way.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited May 2010
    I forget, can you get the Gender-Bender belt in BG2? That thing is hilarious.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I forget, can you get the Gender-Bender belt in BG2? That thing is hilarious.

Hah. Actually one of the possible party member's whole side story involves that belt. :D

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are these available on a download service anywhere? I'd look up discs but I'll probably be playing on my netbook, which lacks a disc drive.

PolloDiablo on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are these available on a download service anywhere? I'd look up discs but I'll probably be playing on my netbook, which lacks a disc drive.

Sadly, no :(.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png