As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

FaranguFarangu I am a beardy manWith a beardy planRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
Keltain - A storied land, full of rich history, and sights to see. The peaks of Dagger Point. The vast steppes of the Giant's Staircase. And the scarred fields that once hosted the Incest War! Oh, the checklist a tourist would have!

There are some, though, that have other matters on their minds besides all the pretty vistas. One of those sort is Corran. Corran is a gnome, and he has children on his mind. Well, to be more accurate, he has young adults on his mind. And his kitchen. And his spare rooms.

It's not that he wanted it this way. He was perfectly fine living in his reclusive retreat, away from all the prying eyes and screams of vendors and customers. You see, Corran is, not to be too blunt about it, a genius. Possibly THE genius. If it involved machinery, any sort of gear or cog or sprocket or steam assembly, Corran had either mastered or invented it. He thought he could make a pretty platinum off his brainy brain. And he did. But he didn't realize the hangers on that would entail. The whiny customers, the insistent vendors, and the pitiful, but frequent attempts at sabotage by the competition. He had had enough, which is what prompted him to build Corran's Reach, a little home away from...everything.

But one day, 20 years ago, his life changed drastically. He came across five bundled babies, laying in the crossroads a mile from his house. To this day, if you ask him why he kept them, he couldn't tell you. He did try to make an investment out of it; try to pass along at least some of his knowledge to his adopted children. He's still not sure what stuck and what didn't. But there are times...fleeting moments where he sees how far they've come in their own individual ways...and he smiles.

These smiles are occurring less and less now. The children are almost adults now. They have their own group of friends, a local pack of vagrant children their own age who have taken to calling themselves The Lost Boys. It's almost time for them to leave the Reach. This is the problem that has been wracking his brain for sometime now. How to do it? Would he cry? When will they leave? He doesn't know.

KKKKRRRRRAAAAAASSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH!

"...That came from the kitchen."

Maybe he's changing his mind about that last part...

The party:

skarr.pngSkarr, an Orc who's just one ragefit away from hitchhiking along a road to sad piano music. (Played by Steelhawk) (sheet)

daus.pngDaus, a Changeling wizard that likes to lie. So he's totally going to pay you back that money he borrowed. (Played by Aegof) (sheet)

vista.pngVista, a Warforged Barbarian who's sworn to protect the [strike]four three [/strike]two remaining brothers under pain of magnets. (Played by Susan) (sheet)

orsik.pngOrsik, a Dwarven Artificer who's been 'round the world a spell, and is good at making timely appearances. (played by MaxFrost) (sheet)

tharatus.pngTharatus Wran, a Human Hexblade that makes regular deals with devils for power. Going back to that whole "trustworthy" thing, then. (played by Illianthar)(sheet)

Former party members:

carrel.pngCarrel, a Gnome Warlock who thought he was totally not going to be taken over by dark energies. Until he was. (Played by WhiteWolf) (sheet)

korin.pngKorin, a Dragonborn who apparently gains his powers from being unable to keep anything to himself. Last seen falling down a pit that was emitting zombies, so...yea. We're hopeful.(Played by Kinahto) (sheet)

swanky.pngSwanky, an ADD-addled halfling. So, you know, normal. Until he got poisoned.(Played by Smoove Operator)

The region:
Dreeston.jpg

The rules:
Story takes precedence over gameplay mechanics. That's Rule #1.
You level when I tell you. That's Rule #2.
OOC chat is either DimGray or goes in the OOC thread. That's Rule #3.
AT LEAST one post per day, weekends optional. That's Rule #4.
Battle posts must have: Movements in coordinates from the grid I will give you, COLORED attacks(At-Will in Green, Encounter in Red, Dailies in Gray, Status and lasting effects in orange), damage rolls in red, and finish each post with the name of the next combatant in Lime. Orokos or Mythweavers are fine for dice rolls. We'll be using block initiative: If there are a bunch of you scheduled to go before the next monster, those of you in that block can take your turns in whichever order you like.

The game is starting at around midday. You can set yourselves near the crash in the kitchen, or wherever you like on the compound. I'll let you RP until I get a !ready from each of you. And...

GO

Farangu on

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus flipped through the book in his hands, skimming the pages, searching for a familiar image or paragraph shape. He had read all of this before--a number of times--but there was some detail or another he was forgetting. There was a wealth of information on Ioun, which made his search both harder and easier. The book was well-organized, so finding--

What sounded like a spectacular accident tore his attention from his idle search. Accidents were uncommon enough these days that it was always worth seeing the aftermath. There were some walls still stained with ghost images from his attempts to marry gadgetry and illusion. They would fade in time, he assumed.

He clapped the book shut--for this well-worn text, he would need no bookmark--and stood to leave. He wore human today, as was normal for him, dark skin and red hair and perhaps a little too tall for his clothes. An intentional effect, of course.

The source of the noise was not far, he thought, but more important to him was who was responsible. Korin and Skarr seemed likeliest. Or both together. The two of them, angry at the same thing at the same time could get. Well. He remembered it being unpleasant, so maybe that's all it was. Still. If it was them, together, perhaps it would be best to save the sharper barbs for another day. He briefly considered turning back to his book, but his pace didn't slow for a moment.

If we really wanna get movin', I suppose 'm !Ready.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin stared at his opponent, his glaive at the ready. His opponent, Daus, stared back, unblinking, unmoving, frozen in a taunting pose. Suddenly, Korin saw the opening he was looking for. He charged forward, thrusting his blade at his brother's heart...

CRASH!

Korin was so surprised by the noise that he had tripped, face first, onto the ground. He looked up at his opponent weakly, "Gah, I think I have a concussion. There goes combat practice for the day..."

Truth be told, 'combat practice' for Korin was more about catharsis than any type of actual training at this point. His 'opponent' was not actually his brother, but a not-too-convincing stand-in he had drawn using his eternal chalk on the side of a nearby tree. It was fairly inaccurate, partially due to the fact that this particular drawing was about a week old, and Daus had changed appearance several times since then, but mostly because Korin was an absolutely terrible artist. Still, it served it's purpose, which was to let him take his anger at his brother out in some way other than yelling at him into the wee hours of the night, or actually beating on him. After all, Daus's a lying jerk, but he's still his brother.

Still, what was that noise? It sounded like something breaking... could it have been burglars? Invading hobgoblins? A DRAGON? Suddenly filled with dread, Korin charged full-speed towards the kitchen, heedless of anything, or anyone, in his way, while yelling in Draconic, "STAY BACK, FOUL BEAST! TIAMAT SHALL NOT HAVE OUR HOME THIS DAY!"

I'm !ready anytime you all are.

Kinahto on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel took a deep breath. The crash had come from the next room over, and had jolted him from his concentration. His first thought was Skarr, being the biggest of the group, having caused the accident, when he realized that was impossible as he just seen the large figure walk up the flight of stairs behind him not only ten seconds ago. Then his mind turned to Korin. The wrong word at the wrong time whether it was meant to offend him or not would set him off very easily, even if one didn't mean to.

I better go see what happened he thought to himself. Slowly, he gathered some fey energy to the point of his fingertips should it be the work of some invader. "Always be prepared for the worst, in a world like this" his adpotive father had consistently taught him. He slowly walked towards the kitchen with trepidation, and just a hint of exitement on his face.

!Ready to go chief.

WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can already tell you're going to be fun, Kinahto. :D

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corran arrived in the kitchen to find one of his prized bottles of wine broken on the floor.

He did not like this.

"WHICH ONE OF YOU GODS-DAMNED LOST BOYS DID THIS!?! Kaneel?!? Pelton!?! Dort!?! You manipulating brutes! You come out now and I promise...I won't transmogrify you into anything too horrible..."

All of a sudden, a dark shape darted out in front of him. He raised his cane to defend himself from...a cat that just jumped out of an open window.

Corran stood there for a second. Then he let out quite a sound for someone of his stature.

"BOYS! HERE! NOW!!"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Korin dashes into the room, his glaive drawn and ready. "I'm here, dad! Where's the dragon? Don't worry, I'll hold it off, while you throw together a ballista!"

Thanks for the compliment. I thought I might've been going a bit too over the top, but I think I know what tone to hit now. :)

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Carrel stopped at the sound of the very loud, and very upset voice. Only one thing could have driven Corran to the point of such anger. Only one thing in the world... his wine.

I know I'm gonna have to go in there... but I really don't want to... he eyed the handle to the door and sighed as he opened the door and was met with his dragonborn brother, panting and looking around with a crazed expression, rambling about full blown dragons.

He opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it after thinking better of it.

WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Daus was inches from being literally on Carrel's heels, and like Carrel, thought better of saying anything.

Then thought better of not saying anything.

"Don't you have a half-finished ballista somewhere, Dad?" Daus asked. "You, me, maybe Carrel, could put it together in a few minutes." There was a roar from outside. Daus imagined dragons sounded a lot like dragonborn, but louder and scarier. Ghost Sound couldn't get quite loud enough, Daus thought, but it might not matter with Korin. "If we have a few minutes."
    Do we want a Bluff check here? Who knows! Here I gooooo
    Bluff: 1d20+10 12

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "No, it's gearing up for its breath weapon! GET DOWN!"

Korin DIVES in front of his adoptive father, valiantly attempting to shield him from imaginary dragon breath.

After a moment, he stops wincing and looks around the room in confusion. "Hey, what gives? Where's the dragon?"
    INSIGHT FAIL:
    Insight: 1d20+5 7

Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I cant believe I missed it! Swanky cursed himself as he sprinted through the house. Usually when Corran yelled like that it was at him, and Swanky knew that whatever waited in the kitchen it was gonna be good.

As he neared the rounded the doorway into the kitched he realized that he misjudged his speed just a smidge. To avoid sliding headlong into the door frame he planted a foot firmly against it and launched himself up onto the opposite counter. Still too much momentum..., his mind raced looking for a way to slow himself. Perfect! he thought as he spied Daus standing a few feet in front of him, his slender back to the door. Swanky vaulted off the counter and landed perfectly on Daus' shoulders.

"...and Jazz hands!" Swanky announced as he spread all his fingers and shook his hands quickly on either side of his brother's head.

"...what did I miss?!"

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am totally sporting an RP chubby right now.

Knew I made the right choices. :D

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Korin gives his halfling brother a quick glance. He's learned to ignore Swanky's antics, but can't help but smile a bit when they lead to Daus getting annoyed.

"A very stealthy dragon for one..." he says as he slinks about the room as quietly as he can, looking for dragons in places they'd never be able to even fit. After his quick search reveals nothing, he looks back to the others.

"By the way, stranger," he says to Daus in a mocking tone, "Have you seen my brother around here? He's about your height, maybe a bit shorter, grayish skin, white hair?"

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "I don't believe I have," Daus said, smiling. "Perhaps he's off hunting ghosts."

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Well, if you see him, tell him to hurry back! He's wasting his time hunting ghosts with..." He looks about the room cautiously, then yells suddenly, "DRAGONS ABOUT!"

Korin glances back and forth in anticipation, then his head hangs in disappointment. "I was hoping that'd startle it out of hiding."

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A wry smile snaked across Swanky's face as he hatched a plan. He bounded from Daus' shoulders to Korin's and drew his shortsword, pointing the business end towards the door.

"I think I saw the dragon near Daus' room! Hurry Korin, we must go now! Dragon, HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    "What?! PREPARE YOURSELF TO TASTE MY MIGHTY BLADE, DRAGON! HYAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Korin begins to charge full-force once again, toward Daus's room.

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corran hangs his head a little.

"You boys...You're going to drive me crazy yet. Now what have I told you about LEAVING THE WINDOWS OPEN?!?"

He bonks each of you on the head with his cane. "Now you boys owe me a bottle of Gnarvale 1092! But before you get it for me...I want new project schematics from each of you before dinner! And tell Skarr when you see him that includes him, too!"

Now since I'm not up to date on all the Adventurer Vault supplements, I've decided to delegate the responsibility, hence the "project schematics". Each of you is going to give me a sort of wish list of items you would want your characters to have for the immediate future(i.e. the next few levels - try and space out your requests, so they're not all high level). I'll try and dole them out as fairly as possible.

Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THWACK!!

*grunt*

THWACK!!

*snort*

THWACK!!

*spit*

Farangu wrote: »
    "BOYS! HERE! NOW!!"

Skarr slammed the old wood axe into the chopping block. The axe head buried itself deep, and Skarr was sure one of his brothers would need his help to free it. Wiping his hands on a rag, Skarr makes his way around the massive pile of wood, amassed in an afternoons worth of hard work, towards the house. Outsiders have no idea the amount of fuel a place like Corran's Reach uses up.

Shirtless and no less massive, Skarr enters the kitchen, (ducking his head at the lintel and twisting his shoulders to make it in) just in time to see his brother Korin lying on floor of the kitchen, peeking between the fingers covering his eyes, asking about a dragon. Skarr's shadow eclipses his prone brother, "Get up, Korin. You look like a fool." Skarr says, his voice deep and harsh.

He drops the dust filled rag onto his brothers face and grins, "But while you're down there, you might was well clean up the mess."

Skarr always sounded harsh, even when he was in a good mood. Skarr's laugh chased animals away and his smile chased everything else away. It wasn't easy being green, either. But these people where his family, these people he could relax around. The stink of sweaty Orc assaults your senses, as Skarr dutifully lines up alongside the rest of his brothers.

"Whatever happened, it wasn't my fault...not this time."

!Ready

D'oh! I missed a bit while writing. Oh well, you get the idea....

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corran snorts.

"Well, at least you were quick enough to figure out there was a problem. Compared to Mr. JazzHands, whatever the hell that means. I 'll tell you what I told them: New project schematics by dinner!"

He turns to walk away, then pauses.

"Oh, and one more thing..."

He then bonks you on the head with his cane. "NO MORE LEAVING WINDOWS OPEN!"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    <Later that day>
    Swanky cruises down the hall, offhandedly apologizing to Daus on his way by the shifter's room...

"Sorry about the mess, you never know where those pesky dragons could be hiding."

Finding Corran, Swanky hands a crumpled up parchment to him, performing an elaborate bow and using a ridiculous English accent.

"Your schematics, as requested sire..."

As Corran uncrumples the sheet, it is immediately clear that there have been multiple erase marks and that the few schematics that are legible are overshadowed by an elaborate drawing of a small person in a viking hat standing proudly on a mountain, holding a flag that says "Swanktonia".

Character sheet changed to reflect use of Shuriken instead of hand crossbow.
    Wish list (Is this kinda what you had in mind? If not I'll change to update):
    Lvl 2: Aftershock Shuriken (AV2)
    Lvl 3: Addergrease Leather Armor (AV)
    Lvl 3: Catstep Boots (PHB)
    Lvl 4: Flaying Gloves (AV)
    Lvl 5: Cape of the Mountebank (AV)

Also, I should have put this in my first post; !ready

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Yea, that's what I'm looking for, although you don't need to list where you found the items.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Once I have everyone's wish list, I'll begin the story proper.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    <earlier than later that day>

"You didn't miss much, Skarr," Daus said as Corran leaves. "We need to pick up some wine. And Korin thinks there's a dragon about."

Daus tried to get along with Skarr, mostly. Mind games with Skarr were. Well there were a lot of reasons not to mess with him like Korin, and not all of them were selfish.

"If you need a hand with those schematics, come find me once you've cooled down a bit." Daus had a few ideas half-scribbled out already; fleshing them out and making them presentable wouldn't take too long.

L2 Gem of Colloquy
    L3 Talon Amulet
    L4 Orb of Menacing Impulse
    L5 Shadowdance Armor

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    <Later than earlier that day>

Following closely behind Swanky, Korin also offers his apologies to Daus, "Yeah, I'm really sorry too. But I swear I saw that dragon hiding behind the one bookcase you keep all your favorite books on!"

He sheepishly hands his schematics to Corran, ashamed of his inability to track down the vicious dragon. And, you know, tearing up half the house looking for it.

His schematics were poorly drawn as always, but his written descriptions of the items and their use was clear and descriptive, and some of the concepts were surprisingly clever. Of course, slightly worrying to Corran was the design of a bracelet, based on an item usually meant to be used to fight lycanthropes, which Korin had somehow found had the side-effect of temporarily disabling the abilities of shapeshifters, including Changelings...

L2 Feyleaf Sandals
    L3 Brooch of No Regrets
    L3 Lunia's Bracelet
    L4 Joyous Armor
    L5 Chainreach Weapon

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Carrel paced back and forth in his room with contemplative thoughts. Of course their father had always been there for them if they needed help in building something, but he couldn't even remember the last time that schematics were absolutely demanded from them all of a sudden.

"Something seems off here, but I'm not sure what..." he said to himself out loud. Determined to make the best of a situation that he was unfamiliar with, Carrel thought up some ideas that he felt would best accentuate his fey abilities, and dropped the list off with Corran some time later.

Level 2 Feyleaf Sandals
    Level 3 Executioner's Bracers
    Level 4 Parchment Armor
    Level 5 Goggles of Aura Sight

WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The next morning...

"Boys! Food's on! Get down here!"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Breakfast, thought Swanky. That dull formality before the day begins, proper.

After readying himself for the day, Swanky crept into the kitchen. Good, I'm the first one here. Swanky quietly opened the door to the cupboard where Skarr kept his favorite plate and slunk inside. This was an old game, and one that had cost him many bruises, but the look on Skarr's face was always more than worth it...

OOC:
    Stealth check:
    1d20+9 = 23

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Yea, but if you just want to link the roll itself, instead of making a whole separate line for it, that'd be cool.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Something seems to be strange this morning. Rather than rushing downstairs in a hurry to (loudly) devour his breakfast and rush once again out the door, as is his usual morning practice, Korin takes his time down the stairs, all the while looking at a piece of paper. Anyone motivated enough to look at the paper will see some strange schematics on it, drawn better than you'd ever expect from the artistically impaired Dragonborn.

Korin sits silently in his seat, and simply stares at the sheet, apparently contemplating it deeply. This is probably the most disturbing part, as he's not known to deeply contemplate ANYTHING, let alone schematics.

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Daus could not recall such a quiet morning. Part of him itched to know what occupied Korin, but the novelty of his silence was compelling. Daus held his tongue.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Carrel also sat quietly at the table, but this was mostly a normal thing for him. He eyed his dragonborn brother with interest but did not openly discuss his odd behavior.

WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corran walks in, whisking a bowl of eggs.

"Ok boys, how do you want your...eggs...

Alright, what's wrong with you guys? Your silence is...kinda scary, to be frank."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Korin's thinking for once." Daus could not resist such an opening. "We didn't want to disturb him. Who knows when this will happen again?"

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Oh, hush, Daus.

SCARR! SWANKY! EGGS ARE GOING ON NOW, SO GET DOWN HERE!

What's on your mind, Korin?"

It was always amazing how quickly he could go from bellowing to speaking softly.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Swanky could no longer stand it, it had to have been minutes he was waiting. The cupboard seemed like a prison, and the walls were closing in around him. Besides, he had 4 folks waiting outside who would get to experience his entrance.

Another day, Skarr...

Swanky kicked open the door of the cupboard, and let out a primal scream (well, as halfling screaming goes it was fairly primal). He threw himself past Corran and tumbled under the kitchen table, popping up in his normal seat.

"Scrambled soft, please!"

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    The first 30 or so times, that would have startled Corran enough to drop the bowl. Now, he doesn't even skip a beat.

"Well, at least one of you's acting normal."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Korin passes the paper to his father. "Do you have any idea what this is, Dad? I don't know, and I'm the one who drew it. Hell, I don't even know how I drew it so well!"

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Well, let's just sit and have a looksee here..."

He sits down with a slight grin, but as he looks at it, his smile fades. He slowly looks up towards Korin.

"where...did you see this."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Swanky wandered over to Corran, to get a look at the sketch. He pulled himself up to his full height, and towered over Corran, checking out the sketch from over his adoptive father's shoulders.

"Must've been something we saw in town the other day. Last night part of that showed up in one of my dreams. It was sandwiched between a dream about slaying that pesky dragon yesterday and a dream where I was escaped from a dire badger by climbing a glass rope to nowhere....classics. Speaking of sandwiches, I'd like to change my order, can you make a scrambled eqq and cheese sandwich?"

Slight pause

"Uhm, Dad, I can't help but notice that you aren't exactly what I would call 'engaged' in the egg-making." Swanky said, using finger quotes to help illustrate his point. "Any way I could help remedy this situation?"

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    "In my dreams, if you'll believe it..." Korin briefly lets out a nervous chuckle. "It's strange, I'd never normally dream about anything like that, but it was so clear in my mind..."
    Swanky wandered over to Corran, to get a look at the sketch. He "Must've been something we saw in town the other day. Last night part of that showed up in one of my dreams. It was sandwiched between a dream about slaying that pesky dragon yesterday and a dream where I was escaped from a dire badger by climbing a glass rope to nowhere....classics. Speaking of sandwiches, I'd like to change my order, can you make a scrambled eqq and cheese sandwich?"

"Wait, you too?" Korin says, now in a bit of a panic, "I could understand Carrel or Daus dreaming about this stuff, but US?! Dad, what's going on?!"

Kinahto on