As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rooting for the bad guys.

• truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm rooting for moustacheiod villains vs this thread as there have been multiple slams against mustache twirling. I say this of course as a proud mustacheiod man myself.

Also in the movie The Last Dragon I always want Shonuff to win.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Lex Luthor in the last Superman movie. I don't care about good guys or bad guys as much as I do underdogs and "the man" and Lex Luthor is an awesome underdog in that movie.

I also have a soft spot for a well-thought up plan which are always fucked up by some untouchable do-gooder. That includes building a badass super-fortress i.e. the Death Star I and II, Steam Castle, Coccoon, Borg Cube.

Oh and...
    labyrinth_1.jpg

Wasn't that movie about David Bowie seducing a 16 year old girl while surrounding himself with monsters and rubbing his balls?

I don't think it was even a movie, it was just some footage of what Bowie does in his day to day life.

override367 on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Herr Starr from Preacher is a fairly sensible villian with somewhat pragmatic goals up until loosing one too many limbs to stay sane.

Jeedan on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Herr Starr from Preacher is a fairly sensible villian with somewhat pragmatic goals up until loosing one too many limbs to stay sane.

His one-shot issue (I forget what it's called, but it's basically his origin story) makes it even easier to cheer for him.

KalTorak on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, this is probably why Robin Hood is such an enduring tradition. The bold outlaw, upholding the morality of a society that promises greater equality and freedom.
    On this note, the BBC Robin Hood has actually managed to make me root FOR the Sheriff. Mostly by making everyone else laughable. Robin is a pacifist and Mariam is a costumed crime fighter for fuck's sake. Meanwhile, this delightful bastard is delivering the only entertaining performance:

0957_110435_Sheriff2.jpg

JihadJesus on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Saw it mentioned some pages ago, but I was really rooting for the baddie in Law Abiding Citizen. Partly because I love elaborate-plan flicks, and partly because Gerard Butler makes everything more awesome.

I was hoping for a better ending, though.
    All his talk of "you won't understand until you see the big picture!" hinted at something more interesting than "I'm going to blow up a building full of politicians!" I wanted something more like the end of Seven., I guess.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Brave new world is a bit scarier than 1984 in that it's a lot more likely to happen.
    I don’t know, North Korea is pretty much 1984: Asian Edition. And Hitler gave Eugenics enough of a bad name in the western world that I don’t see the most restrictive parts of Brave New World becoming widespread anytime soon.

Hm. True.

Haha, no way BNW is scarier. 1984 is really close to being the worst possible world barring Armageddon. It's worse than the Matrix. Everyone's life is absurdly bad, war is eternal, you don't have a single moment of relief from surveillance, and even the ideas of freedom and happiness are being utterly murdered. They are rebuilding language so that people won't even be able to think and dream of a better world. If you so much as hint at dissension, they rape your mind so bad you end up loving Big Brother and you want to die for hurting him. The half-retarded workers in BNW (as evil as their creation is) don't fell too bad and aren't in such a shitty situation. The proles have it much worse.

Not only it's a horrendous world, but it's turning itself permanent. The only way out is the sheer end of civilization.

Not to say that the DPRK isn't a pretty horrible place to live (unless you were part of a slim percentage of the right people), but even that is a far cry for the horror that is 1984. The big issue with the work, and I'm pretty sure Orwell acknowledges this, is that it relies on the Thought Police being perfect (or very, very close to it). Every other function of government or society is half-assed, but the Thought Police is so perfect it could probably convert matter into energy or perform cold fusion if it wanted to.

Nothing anywhere is as perfect in its function as the Thought Police. Not even close. Even the most pervasive security organizations through history. Including those in North Korea.

Also, Oceania and the other societies rely on actual war, manufactured or otherwise. North Korea hasn't quite reached the point where they're firing missiles at their own cities. Similarly, at least to me, it appears in 1984 that the military is a mostly fictional organization that actually consists primarily of fictional individuals and maybe a few actual living people, serving primary as a way to dump useless hardware, having very little real effect on life. By comparison, in North Korea, the military very much exists, and dominates everyday life.

Just my two cents on that though. The DPRK may be the closest thing in reality, but it's still not Oceania and Ingsoc, even "in Asia".

Synthesis on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Brave new world is a bit scarier than 1984 in that it's a lot more likely to happen.
    I don’t know, North Korea is pretty much 1984: Asian Edition. And Hitler gave Eugenics enough of a bad name in the western world that I don’t see the most restrictive parts of Brave New World becoming widespread anytime soon.

Hm. True.

Haha, no way BNW is scarier. 1984 is really close to being the worst possible world barring Armageddon. It's worse than the Matrix. Everyone's life is absurdly bad, war is eternal, you don't have a single moment of relief from surveillance, and even the ideas of freedom and happiness are being utterly murdered. They are rebuilding language so that people won't even be able to think and dream of a better world. If you so much as hint at dissension, they rape your mind so bad you end up loving Big Brother and you want to die for hurting him. The half-retarded workers in BNW (as evil as their creation is) don't fell too bad and aren't in such a shitty situation. The proles have it much worse.

Not only it's a horrendous world, but it's turning itself permanent. The only way out is the sheer end of civilization.

Not to say that the DPRK isn't a pretty horrible place to live (unless you were part of a slim percentage of the right people), but even that is a far cry for the horror that is 1984. The big issue with the work, and I'm pretty sure Orwell acknowledges this, is that it relies on the Thought Police being perfect (or very, very close to it). Every other function of government or society is half-assed, but the Thought Police is so perfect it could probably convert matter into energy or perform cold fusion if it wanted to.

Nothing anywhere is as perfect in its function as the Thought Police. Not even close. Even the most pervasive security organizations through history. Including those in North Korea.

Also, Oceania and the other societies rely on actual war, manufactured or otherwise. North Korea hasn't quite reached the point where they're firing missiles at their own cities. Similarly, at least to me, it appears in 1984 that the military is a mostly fictional organization that actually consists primarily of fictional individuals and maybe a few actual living people, serving primary as a way to dump useless hardware, having very little real effect on life. By comparison, in North Korea, the military very much exists, and dominates everyday life.

Just my two cents on that though. The DPRK may be the closest thing in reality, but it's still not Oceania and Ingsoc, even "in Asia".

I agree. My point is that 1984 is the closest thing to hell on earth (at least before the apocalypse and The Road) I ever read. It's the worst possible society I ever knew of. I'm sure there could be a worse one, but I never read/saw it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always found the most interesting interpretation of 1984 to be that you, the reader, are getting a non-omniscient view of the society that's very much not as impressive as it's billed. It's not all-powerful, it's not large, it has an army just for show. It's a tiny, terrible little place to live that the world has basically given up on. That doesn't stop the Thought Police (being perfect) from making the populace believe all the lies told about the country.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The most insane thing about 1984 to me is that they present a society that manages to strip the enjoyment from the most basic animal insincts. I mean it's a world where eating and sex are colorless tasks done out of obligation.

That just makes my skin crawl.

JihadJesus on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure this has been said but I'm surprised I didn't see it on the first page. DEXTER.

He may have good intentions but he is still cutting people up into wittle bitty pieces.

Dexter is not a bad guy. In intention and outcome, he both intends good and does good, not that he hasn't made mistakes.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • legionofonelegionofone __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Re: Rorschach

I always thought Moore seemed a little confused about Rorschach, even though he was his own charecter. It seems like he treats Rorschach as if he's always been a psychopath, even though that's not the case even in the story. You can see in the story, from Night Owl's descriptions and the flashbacks to Ozy's meeting, where Rorschach is just as put together (or more so) then anyone else there.

And to be fair to the charecter, the trauma that made him snap was pretty horrendous. I get why Moore would be a little shocked at all the fan love, but its like he doesn't understand the way he wrote him was sympathetic.

legionofone on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had literally no problem with the society of Brave New World. I thought the protagonist was a drama queen through and through.

Asiina on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    I had literally no problem with the society of Brave New World. I thought the protagonist was a drama queen through and through.

Outside of the oil spill, this is the most messed up thing I've heard all day.

Drake on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure this has been said but I'm surprised I didn't see it on the first page. DEXTER.

He may have good intentions but he is still cutting people up into wittle bitty pieces.

Dexter is not a bad guy. In intention and outcome, he both intends good and does good, not that he hasn't made mistakes.

If they actually played a clip of him hacking a person to pieces for the full length instead of just showing the beginning or clean up, people probably wouldn't think he was such a good guy.

I still think that the "no cruel and unusual punishment" amendment is a good idea.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited May 2010
    I always found the most interesting interpretation of 1984 to be that you, the reader, are getting a non-omniscient view of the society that's very much not as impressive as it's billed. It's not all-powerful, it's not large, it has an army just for show. It's a tiny, terrible little place to live that the world has basically given up on. That doesn't stop the Thought Police (being perfect) from making the populace believe all the lies told about the country.

I mean, taken literally, probably. If we assume Orwell is telling us about an actual society he speculated to coming around, and not some sort of fictional magical world of evil and despair ripped from the manual of Diablo I, then yes.

It wouldn't be that hard. Oceania (and by extension, possibly Eurasia and Eastasia) isn't anywhere near what it presents it self. In fact, it probably sucks more than most of the places as the rest of the country. Consider were Airstrip One is--the British Isles. Eurasia dominated all of Europe and everything north of Mongolia. Of course Airstrip One is going to suck, it's a fucking demilitarized zone. It's a minimum 3,500 kilometers from the rest of Oceania, and even if the state really gave a crap out people's suffering, it would probably suck because it's within spitting distance of Eurasia's navy, army, air force and artillery. A lot of the suck is probably unintentional, a result of the fact to exist as part of Oceania, Airstrip One relies on some sort of trade across the entire North Atlantic Ocean (unless Greenland is some sort of hub of industry and agriculture, in which case it's a "mere" 1,700 kilometers).

Honestly, the standard of living is probably much higher literally everywhere else in Oceania--especially considering all three big countries are essentially federations of compartmentalized states. The UK enjoys a high standard of living now because of the historic role of Britain as the world's workshop, and its continued role as a trade hub. None of that exists in Airstrip One (anymore) probably.

Winston is just really fucking unlucky to have been born English. Chances are life in, say, Idaho or Moscow or Beijing, where you aren't completely isolated by an ocean from the rest of your "country" isn't quite as bad.

Likewise, the Thought Police probably aren't perfect semi-divine agents of Ingsoc. Winston's time in prison actually reveals a serious gap that is immediately apparently--common prisoners, unlike political prisoners, are basically free. They can drink, smoke, purchase prostitution, even (potentially) say whatever they want and live their own hierarchically organized lives. They are not afraid of the state like all party members are. They don't owe any loyalty to Ingsoc. The Thought Police (or prison administration) are probably as afraid of them as they would be of the guards, maybe more so. They are probably capable of murdering state employees, at some cost and risk, which hardly makes for invincible state power. Hell, they probably stay in jail because life in the rest of Airstrip One sucks so bad.

Everything is, of course, experienced through Winston's perspective. It's not entirely unreasonable to assume that Winston's case, while not entirely rare, was still somewhat exceptional. It might even be possible that political dissidents do escape the grasp of the government (especially if they're not confined to a heavily-populated island) and might even oppose the government. There may even be some truth to the idea of "the Resistance", though not in a form that Winston will ever experience.

I could see, ten or twenty or however many years after Winston's incarceration and release, the Thought Police making a mistake--one of many--that happened to seriously compromise their theory. I know Orwell meant to describe an essentially permanent, unchanging government, but that's only so much as something that isn't hereditary isn't permanent anyway (and, to Oceania's credit, it is a meritocracy of sorts). Anything from a civil war within the Thought Police, or a competition of power between the Thought Police and the Inner Party (between whom enormous tension exists, since they're described as distinctly different, and unintentionally competitive, bodies), military disaster or even just a generation of compassionate Inner Party members who thought their grandparents and parents were monsters and idiots. Any number of things could bring the whole, delicate arrangement crashing down.

Synthesis on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis I think you've got the wrong idea from the post you quote (though your hypothesis is also interesting) - the idea in the post you're quoting is that the society in 1984 is not large, and the outside world is nothing like it is presented - Airstrip One could be the entirety of the nation, and the highly effective Thought Police have simple convinced the populace of all other facts.

Outside in the rest of the world, life goes on and no one can be assed trying to intervene - similar to what we do with North Korea.

Re: Utopia

Iain M. Banks still has one of the more fully realized ideas of a practical utopia (if we accept the physics of the Culture universe are possible), in that what he describes is not meant to be a utopia, but rather a society which is aggressively utopian - their goal in existence is defined as trying to make themselves and the rest of the universe as close to a utopia as it is possible to get.

So they do a lot of stuff which basically makes it sound like utopia, but with the operative difference that no member of the civilization would ever say that utopia has been achieved or that there isn't more to do.

Which in many respects sort of reflects the oxymoronic nature of the concept: can you ever really have utopia, since lack of progress is almost inherently dystopian.

electricitylikesme on
  • CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lex Luthor in the last Superman movie. I don't care about good guys or bad guys as much as I do underdogs and "the man" and Lex Luthor is an awesome underdog in that movie.

I also have a soft spot for a well-thought up plan which are always fucked up by some untouchable do-gooder. That includes building a badass super-fortress i.e. the Death Star I and II, Steam Castle, Coccoon, Borg Cube.

Oh and...
    labyrinth_1.jpg

Wasn't that movie about David Bowie seducing a 16 year old girl while surrounding himself with monsters and rubbing his balls?

I don't think it was even a movie, it was just some footage of what Bowie does in his day to day life.

:^:

Sigged.

He also wanted to kill a baby.

Cliff on
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis I think you've got the wrong idea from the post you quote (though your hypothesis is also interesting) - the idea in the post you're quoting is that the society in 1984 is not large, and the outside world is nothing like it is presented - Airstrip One could be the entirety of the nation, and the highly effective Thought Police have simple convinced the populace of all other facts.

No, I understand, I was just positing a theory I've basically held since I first read the novel.

I didn't explain it very well, in retrospect. :?

Synthesis on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    The OP is obviously a conservative.

I don't understand why people dislike Avatar. It is a movie about elves who ride flying dinosaurs into battle against mecha-riding Republicans. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. What rational red-blooded American doesn't want to see an elf stab through the windshield of Buff Donald Rumsfeld's mecha?

Quaritch was bad-ass though, but not as badass as someone who rides a giant-ass dragon.

Nope sorry. Those exosuits with the direct limb interface controls are way more dope than a whole pile of dragons. I hated to see them run over by some dumb ol rhinos.

Also LOTR has a special place in this thread, I feel, because the longer you look at it the more horrible the protagonists appear to be. You just know the elves would love to ethnic cleanse the shit out of the orcs and those only brown people in middle earth.

Lord of the Rings is full of civilizations based on eugenics and ethnic cleansing.

yeah, you might think the elves wanted to cleanse (when they weren't busy running off to a new continent, sure), but Saruman/Sauron? They actually tried. Like, sent armies to wipe out nations. I'd say they're a bit more evil than the elves.

I guess it doesn't seem as bad because Sauron is like a big jackass. That's his whole thing, he kills you or does bad things to you or whatever. The elves and the kingdoms of Rohan and those places seemed more subtle in a keeping the lesser races down and slaying the dirty savages kind of way. I mean unless those elephant-riding black guys just wanted to kill whitey without any previous history.

This is bordering on claiming the Phantom from Phantom of the Opera is some misunderstood hero.

mrt144 on
  • FremanFreman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did [Frankenstein] even really have an antagonist? Or a villain? It strikes me as just a bunch of... stuff... that happened. I mean, it's a story, but I would hesitate to say that it has anyone in it who is worthy of being called a "villain."
    Angry villagers?

Freman on
    edited May 2010

If they actually played a clip of him hacking a person to pieces for the full length instead of just showing the beginning or clean up, people probably wouldn't think he was such a good guy.

Eh, if violence were more graphic in general, we would be less inclined to make heroes of violent people. I think that Dexter would be better if he didn't torture people, but I think the (fictional) world would be worse off without him.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Freman wrote: »
    Did [Frankenstein] even really have an antagonist? Or a villain? It strikes me as just a bunch of... stuff... that happened. I mean, it's a story, but I would hesitate to say that it has anyone in it who is worthy of being called a "villain."
    Angry villagers?

Basically the teabaggers of that age.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cliff wrote: »

Oh and...
    labyrinth_1.jpg

Sigged.

He wanted to turn a baby into a goblin slave. Come on, no need for libel.

Cervetus on
  • CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Cliff wrote: »

Oh and...
    labyrinth_1.jpg

Sigged.

He wanted to turn a baby into a goblin slave. Come on, no need for libel.

I find the two pretty analogous. If you're not human anymore, at least a part of you has died.

Cliff on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hm. True.

and room 101

Thanks for assuming everyone has the same fears as you, chief.

L|ama on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My most feared world is Animal Farm, because if animals become sapient we won't be able to eat them, and I really like meat.

override367 on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My most feared world is Animal Farm, because if animals become sapient we won't be able to eat them, and I really like meat.

If animals became sentient we'd just have to eat more meat

Because I am not fucking sharing the planet with some shit-talking pigs and their stupid horse friends

Robman on
    edited May 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Because I am not fucking sharing the planet with some shit-talking pigs and their stupid horse friends

I was going to say, speak for yourself. I'm fairly confident I could eat intelligent mammals if the situation warranted it.

Synthesis on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Angry villagers?

Frankenstein and his monster are both sort of total dicks, to be honest. Frankenstein was half-way through making his monster a wife and he was like..."fuck it, not worth it." Then his monster was all yeah well if I'm not getting any then you aren't either.

Winky on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Asiina wrote: »

I was really pleased when the Shakespeare quoting nonce finally topped himself.

Apothe0sis on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What the hell is Batmans problem towards Clay Face anyway? His girlfriend's all "oh I can fix his condition and he can return to normal!" and then Batman's all "NO!" and destroys the antidote and throws Clay Face into the ocean, what the hell Batman?

And Azula from Avatar is another favorite. Also, the predator, he just wants to hunt.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is the Tim Curry rule. "Don't cast Tim Curry as the villian unless you want the audience rooting for said villian."

As for videogames
    Vergil in DMC 3
    The Geth in Mass Effect
    The Enclave in Fallout 2/3 (mainly cause they're badass looking and everyone in the Fallout Universe is an asshole)
    Wesker in Resident Evil
    Kefka in FF6

SkutSkut on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Thus proving that man is evil.

mrt144 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Guess I'm rooting for the bad guy again.

KalTorak on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Angry villagers?

Frankenstein and his monster are both sort of total dicks, to be honest. Frankenstein was half-way through making his monster a wife and he was like..."fuck it, not worth it." Then his monster was all yeah well if I'm not getting any then you aren't either.

I always thought it was more or less "God, what would happen if this guy could reproduce...fucking shit!" And stopped.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »

Guess I'm rooting for the bad guy again.

Gladly agree

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Re: the Marvel Universe Civil War, I go back and forth on whether Captain America was the bad guy for fighting against a legally-enacted law.

Events showed him to be right, considering who was pulling the strings, but he decided to basically start a super-powered insurgency, rather than file a lawsuit or argue for overturning the law.

But, that whole mega-story arc basically ruined Tony Stark for me. What a dick.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hated Azula in Avatar.

Not the good kind of hate, the "i'm-so-sick-of-this-character-just-die-in-your-own-fire" kind of hate.

What an annoying character. I've seen this type of villainy countless times before and done much better.

Godfather on
    edited May 2010

Hm. True.

and room 101

Thanks for assuming everyone has the same fears as you, chief.

So you're afraid of what... drugs? You fear a world in which some people are genuinely happy, and most of the rest are artificially happy, more than a world in which despair and hopelessness is the only life you'll ever know? A world where the mere concepts of freedom, happiness and hope are being erased from human conscience?

I'm sorry I assumed people here weren't completely irrational.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Angry villagers?

I always thought it was more or less "God, what would happen if this guy could reproduce...fucking shit!" And stopped.

I love how 1) the book is absolutely nothing like anything we see of Frankenstein's monster on any other media and 2) Frankenstein keeps fainting all the time. Brain fevers are hilarious.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png