As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

NeliNeli Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in MMO Extravaganza

What is Planetside II?
"Planetside II" is the sequel to the celebrated but only modestly successful MMO "Planetside". It is a first person, open world shooter where soldiers from 3 different factions battle for control of bases, landmass and glory. The emphasis is on large scale battles between air, infantry and tanks and it was not uncommon to end up in fights between hundreds of people in the original. Where the first game had a monthly subscription, this sequel will not. The plan is for it to be free to play with some sort of cash shop.

The first game came out just before the MMO boom in 2003. It immediately found a core fanbase but the game suffered from many isssues large and small and saw a major drop in player numbers after the first 6 months. Shortly thereafter the MMO behemoth "World of Warcraft" came out and gutted the population further. As a result, Planetside was largely abandoned by SOE and the game was left with a skeleton crew of developers.

However, the game has survived to present day as one of the extremely rare MMOFPS products on the market and while it never reached any particularly great heights, almost everyone saw the massive potential in the game. Now fans hope that Planetside II can live up to the expectations.

So what's the deal, man?
In Planetside II you will get to fight as a soldier in one of three different factions:
The Vanu Sovereignty.
w1dwdz.jpg
"The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge toward oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light."
—Vanu Sovereignty information brochure

The Vanu Sovereignty (VS) is an Enlightened/fanatical faction established around the technology of the exctinct alien species that once inhabited the planet of Auraxis, the world we're fighting for in the game. Their weapons are all energy based and most of their vehicles tend to hover. Oh, and they love the colour purple!
The Terran Republic
3520sut.jpg
"Loyalty until Death! Strength in Unity! Order requires law. Law is enforced through deterrence. Deterrence is based on the fear of consequences, and fear is the most powerful motivating force. The separatist groups, the Vanu Sovereignty and the New Conglomerate, will be dismantled through the exercise of forceful deterrence. Dissidents will fear the consequences of their disloyalty. Unity and order will be restored."
—Terran Republic propaganda poster

The Terran Republic (TR) is the benevolent overlord/evil dictator and they have an affinity for fast firing ballistic weapons and tanks and the colors red and black! They used to be the big dogs on campus and are now fighting to wrest control back of Auraxis from the other two factions.
The New Conglomerate
vgir9y.jpg
"Tear down the Threat that is Tyranny! Burn it all down and Start Again! We call all able-bodied soldiers to The Frontlines to take up arms against those who would deprive us of our basic freedoms. Do not forgive! Do not forget the History of Oppression that we have endured at the hands of the Terran brutes and the Vanu maniacs! Volunteer Now!"
—New Conglomerate recruitment bulletin

The New Conglomerate (NC) are the freedom-fighting idealists/terrorists who want to usher in a new era for the people of Auraxis and their focus is on slow but hardhitting vehicles and guns. Their favourite colors are yellow and blue!

For more detailed info check out the videos below!

Random Screenshots!
http://a.yfrog.com/img816/1926/ivajp.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img740/9135/74xjyq.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img875/3664/qhbli.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img737/8495/2vscl.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img876/8745/a06kv.jpg

Personal thoughts:
I loved parts of Planetside. Parts of Planetside became the best experiences I've ever had in an MMO. That is how good Planetside could be! A bridge battle with a hundred guys on each side trying to blow each other up so they could cross the bridge was just pure gaming euforia.

However, the game really suffered from a lack of support from the developers and a lot of assorted design issues. If they can take what they learned from Planetside and turn it into the game the fans want, this could become amazing.

vhgb4m.jpg
I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
[/size]
Neli on

• WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god please let it be PlanetSide with improved graphics and modern FPS features.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    very much interested in this

Gumpy on
    edited May 2010
    Just noticed something that troubles me.

Mouse over the counter.

I'd expect a company of game programmers to be able to do something simple like make their own god damned counter.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oooh neat!

I really did like Planetside. Flawed, sure, but some of my greatest gaming moments come from that game. There really was nothing else like it. Maybe that is why I was able to put up with the game's flaws.

I hope for the best.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Huh.

I wonder how much the past reactions of the Planetside community will be influencing whatever they're planning next. Because as the population in the game dwindled, the people who were left got more dead set on their expectations on how things should operate. To this day, the thing that always got me about Planetside was how vocal people were against most of the added content. Like the giant robots. Sure when they were first released they had tons of balance problems, but never before have I seen a community of gamers who were so inherently opposed to the very concept of massively multiplayer mixed vehicle warfare with giant robots.

Dartboy on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PlanetSide was actually my first "MMO". I have tons of fond memories of gal-drops, etc. which anyone who has played will readily understand. Heard about PlanetSide II when the news first broke. Call me cautiously optimistic. Done right, PlanetSide II would definitely be a purchase for me.

BFR's kind of messed up the nice vehicle system they had going, which relied on land and air. With BFR's you just have these big robots driven by one or two people which create a huge presence on the battlefield. It felt pretty jarring to players who were used to the original vehicle lineup. Even stuff like the Liberator was a bit odd to me.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OMG OMG OMG OMG *hyperventilates*

Ok, to say I loved planetside would be a understatement. If they manage to get it more right with this I would pretty much be guaranteed to buy.

I had to admit the big hullaballoo over BFRs sort of puzzled me too. Change happens, and granted the change in PS was often weird and seemed unrelated to anything, but they didn't _ruin_ the game the way people bitched about. Personally my favorite PS memory is directly related to the BFR release. See, In my outfit I had the greatest Liberator bombadier ever. If I could get over a target, he would put every single bomb on it. Everytime. When they were just released, before the flight variants, BFRs were slow, big ass targets. One full bomb rack would wreck their shields first pass. Second pass would do them in, either strafing with the gun or hitting them with a second set of bombs. So, a day or two after release, he and I are prowling... find a few BFRs. Long story short, it ends with 4-6 guys in their big, shiny badass new robots cowering behind capitol shields from us as we circle lazilly above. So.Awesome.

Phant on
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god, near end of beta in the packed TR sanctuary with the music blazing and galaxies being loaded up all over the place and rumbling off to melt faces with their raptor and mosquito buddies. Lines of vehicles streaming to warp gate and the siren of the shuttle approach. It was a fucking awesome moment and there wasn't even gunfire and explosions. It felt like a real war staging area and the music seemed very fitting at the time. I'll always remember that above a lot of the fighting heh, though some awesome times doing that too of course.

I even played on dialup...mostly fine! Froze on big battles but still, fun!

Nathrak on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I agree with what Smed poked at about the original failings of Planetside, but I still think it was a great game and a huge step in the right direction for how to make an MMOFPS game. Playing Planetside just felt so much different from everything else on the market for FPS games, and still does to this day.

I honestly hope they just streamline the original Planetside and stay true to the systems they had in place that made it amazing. Maybe we'll finally be able to access cross-factin equipment via hacked terminals this time around.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I only played Planetside when it was free, and I throughly enjoyed it but not enough to actually subscribe to a dying game, but since then I have been desiring a planetside II, hopefully in 15days we see something that will give us boners.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • StantzStantz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember staying up to two in the morning, playing planetside with my brother and sister back in sixth grade, that game just blew our minds.

BRF's were a joke though, you had to do a lot of the most unfun fighting in the game to get them, then you got them and they had weak weapons and they exploded if anyone even looked at you funny.

Stantz on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Planetside just felt so much different from everything else on the market for FPS games, and still does to this day.

You never played Tribes 2 did you? The game was basically Tribes 2 plus Battlefield.

Magic Radio on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The most fun thing to do in planetside was drive around running guys over on the cloakable ATV.

Running over dudes in the halls of their own base was the best thing.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    Just noticed something that troubles me.

Mouse over the counter.

I'd expect a company of game programmers to be able to do something simple like make their own god damned counter.

I'd expect a company of game programmers to spend five minutes on Google to grab what's needed and spend the rest of the day playing TF2.

Garthor on
  • MarathonLurkMarathonLurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I feel like I missed one hell of a party when I skipped this title.

MarathonLurk on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    planetside - BFRs + new graphics = total spooge fest

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish I'd had a broadband connection when PlanetSide was out. I never got to play it when it was great.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited May 2010

I find it funny that, of all the many things horribly wrong with the game, people harp on the fucking giant robots. Not the implants (or whatever they were called), not the caves, not the horribly unbalanced weapons, but the fucking robots which, what, were briefly overpowered and then toned down later? And had interesting mechanics such as locational damage, shields, etc?

Garthor on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

I find it funny that, of all the many things horribly wrong with the game, people harp on the fucking giant robots. Not the implants (or whatever they were called), not the caves, not the horribly unbalanced weapons, but the fucking robots which, what, were briefly overpowered and then toned down later? And had interesting mechanics such as locational damage, shields, etc?

What does that tell you? That everyone was able to over look all the flaws of the game to get rid something that should of been removed. BFRs were a horrible idea that should have never been added and no one shoud never ever defended them in the least.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited May 2010

What does that tell you? That everyone was able to over look all the flaws of the game to get rid something that should of been removed. BFRs were a horrible idea that should have never been added and no one shoud never ever defended them in the least.

I'm sorry, but "Let's add giant fucking robots" has never, ever been a bad idea for anything ever, let alone a horrible one.

Garthor on
    edited May 2010
    It's not a bad idea, but it really didn't work for PlanetSide.

There were other problems, most of which can be overlooked in hindsight (not including Core Combat).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reaver spam was 100x worse than BFRs. That said, hoping this turns out well.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited May 2010

I'm sorry, but "Let's add giant fucking robots" has never, ever been a bad idea for anything ever, let alone a horrible one.

Says someone who must have never played Planetside. It was an awful idea, and an awful implementation. Lets hope they dont come back for Planetside 2

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is Dave G. in anyway involved in Planetside 2?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Says someone who must have never played Planetside. It was an awful idea, and an awful implementation. Lets hope they dont come back for Planetside 2

Indeed, because from that quote tree it's obvious he'd never played Planetside.

Wait, what.

Glal on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are we really sure that they are even working on Planetside 2?

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill to have that game in my hands right now!

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We're not sure about anything. The info in the op is all we've got to go on. For all we know it's an announcement to release some random content for Planetside 1.

But, we're hoping it is bigger than that.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Introducing, PLANETSIDE HATS!!!

You can now outfit your TR, Vanu and NC troops with a variety of WACKY ZANY HATS!!

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I dunno if I'd get my hopes up about a sequel esp when all they have is a timer and one from a "get your free timer" website at that.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here's a question - in the center panel of the comic, the man on the left has a logo on his uniform. I don't recognize that logo. What is it?

citizen059 on
  • JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will play this if it is true.

This was one of the most fun games I had played at that time. I wish that I had a better connection and a better rig so that when it was a huge push I didn't get 2 fps. Still, had a great time playing this back in the day.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FightTest wrote: »

Reaver spam was only bad if you didn't play a real faction like the TR. All those missile trails just made it easier to track those fuckers with the striker.

Arandmoor on
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arandmoor wrote: »

Reaver spam was only bad if you didn't play a real faction like the TR. All those missile trails just made it easier to track those fuckers with a locked down burster.

Fixxed that for you. TR Markov, Cosmocratores all the way bitches.

Phant on
  • ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phant wrote: »
    Arandmoor wrote: »

Reaver spam was only bad if you didn't play a real faction like the TR. All those missile trails just made it easier to track those fuckers with a locked down burster.

Fixxed that for you. TR Markov, Cosmocratores all the way bitches.

Heh too true. Although I never did much MAXing. I was mostly an AMS/Bangbus/Galaxy driver.

Arandmoor on
  • EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Here's a question - in the center panel of the comic, the man on the left has a logo on his uniform. I don't recognize that logo. What is it?

It looks disturbingly like the center of the Tabula Rasa logo.

http://medias.jeuxonline.info/tr/articles/PPB/logos.jpg

It's closer to that than any of the main Planetside logos, anyway.

http://www.ncsf-outfit.org/haywire/icons/logos_1.png

EQDuffy on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoyed Planetside myself, but I quit before all the mech crap. Running over people in tanks was freaking awesome, I had many an entertaining night. There were always a couple of jerks ruining it with anti-tank weapons though.

Bigity on
    edited May 2010

I wasn't playing Planetside when they first added the BFRs, and I gather they were massively overpowered then, and I won't try to deny that. When I played, they didn't massively outclass tanks and were considerably more difficult to acquire and had some big vulnerabilities.

Regardless of the implementation, however, the concept was sound: less common, more powerful, high-priority targets to spice up vehicle combat. Putting them on a relatively longer cooldown and making you jump through stupid hoops to get them, however, didn't really do enough to satisfy the "less common" requirement, but that's an implementation issue.

Another issue is that all combat devolved into indoor hallway-spam in the end, which basically could only be broken by some dipshit on your team running into your lasher / pounder / thumper / whatever spam and giving you a weapon lock. The game really needed more base variety, especially some outdoor-only bases to emphasize the vehicle combat, and much larger, indoor complexes to emphasize the infantry combat (though, uh, not Core Combat...)

Garthor on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I loved driving that Magtank thing. The hovering one. It was so great at running people over (more effective than using its gun even) that they nerfed its plowing ability shortly before I left the game :(

But before that it was hilarious to just zoom around and run squads over in my purple little tank

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited May 2010
    I got exceptionally good at shooting down Reavers with the railgun (gunner position) on the MAG.

TECHNOLOGY = MIGHT.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited May 2010
    Oh, right, the BIGGEST issue with the game was the braindead implementation for limiting turning speed with the mouse, in MAXes and vehicles. Basically, it just reduced the sensitivity, and probably put a cap on how fast you could actually turn, but it meant that every time you were frantically pushing your mouse and picking it up over and over again to turn enough and it just fucking hurt.

They really should've done something like have two reticules: a "target" one which moves at full speed, and then the one in the center of your screen which is ACTUALLY where you're aiming, which will move (or I guess, you'll turn) at the reduced speed to where you're pointing. Moving your mouse slowly will have them match each other always, but if you move too fast then your actual aiming reticule has to play catchup with your mouse.

Garthor on
This discussion has been closed.